Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon XII: Truth of the Ideal Thread

Home Brew forum.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

Yep. Homebrew Design is where to go with that.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Halfling in the Playground

Thanks, guys!

4. - Top - End - #364
    Dwarf in the Playground

So this has probably already been asked by someone, but I'm new to this thread, and I missed it, so I'm gonna go ahead and ask again.

What are other people's policies on nicknaming Pokémon? Like, how many people do, and when do they do it? My own policy is only nickname Pokémon that I'll use, and to leave them without a nickname until I've really come up with something good, at which point I'll go to the name rater. What about everyone else? Are there any good nicknames anyone wants to share?
    I'm back.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

That Platinum game I ordered just after Christmas arrived today... Question, US Platinum owners...did your copy come with the Ninteno Wi-Fi guide and other assorted paperwork, aside from the manual?

Because aside from the lack of that paperwork, and maybe a slight difference in the finish of the paper of the manual (which could be due to my other games being Euro versions), it's virtually identical to my actual games. It might well be a fake, but if so, it's extremely convincing - I certainly wouldn't have given it a second thought if I hadn't been looking for it, forewarned by you guys. (The fact the ebay shop seems almost a tad too eager to avoid negative feedback seems a little off to me, as well.)

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    That Platinum game I ordered just after Christmas arrived today... Question, US Platinum owners...did your copy come with the Ninteno Wi-Fi guide and other assorted paperwork, aside from the manual?
    They should all have it... was it sealed?

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    They should all have it... was it sealed?
    Yes, though as someone said, that itself is no garentee (it's from Hong Kong). As I said, had it not been mentioned that it could be fake, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But as this only came with the manual, and no other wadge of paperwork like all the others - assuming this isn't an idosyncracy of US games - then it's about the only clue it is a fake.

The balance to me says it is, but if it one of the US chaps can confirm that for me, I can hopefully get my money back armed with that extra ammunition and a little bit of diplomatic tact.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodynamik View Post
    So this has probably already been asked by someone, but I'm new to this thread, and I missed it, so I'm gonna go ahead and ask again.

What are other people's policies on nicknaming Pokémon? Like, how many people do, and when do they do it? My own policy is only nickname Pokémon that I'll use, and to leave them without a nickname until I've really come up with something good, at which point I'll go to the name rater. What about everyone else? Are there any good nicknames anyone wants to share?
    I nickname everything I intend to use for something besides breeding and Pokedex filler. If it's going to be on a team, even as an HM-bot, I name it.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Colossus in the Playground

I tend to nuzlocke so I nickname all my pokemon. Even if the nickname is stupid/uninspired.

In other news Shiny Tentacool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

On my only White playthrough so far, I gave each Pokémon a nickname meaning something in Spanish, to help build my vocab levels up. So for example, my Excadrill, 'Taladro' (drill), my Krookodile, 'Colmillo' (fang), or my Snivy, 'Pijo' (snooty). It did actually help!

Oh, and my Tepig received the eminently distinguished and honourable nickname of Salchichón (a kind of hot, spicy sausage).

In every generation, when I'm breeding the hatchlings receive increasing numbers as nicknames. The one I select to use keeps his number through EV training and evolution, and is then granted a proper nickname - like a kind of rite of passage.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

I tend to nickname Pokemon around their roles on my team, or just for funsies
    Some personal favorites are Bubba, the Swampert, Skarmory, the Blissey, Blissey, the Skarmory, UMadBro? for Jirachi or Ambipom, Sally for a female Salamence, OogieBoogie for Gengar, Goku for Infernape, Moses Jones my Conkeldurr, Hurt Train for Haxorus, NotASubPunch for my Sub Punch Breloom, POWER for Kyogre, PwnStar for Terrakion, Rockstar for Latios, LolWut? for Hitmonlee (because everyone forgets how fast he is with Unburden), Swagsire the Quagsire, and Tar Pit for Tyranitar.

I have some others but they either are eluding my memory or are not PG-13
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

My Lillipup was called Dishface; once it evolved to a Stoutland, it was renamed Beardface. I named the Volcarona I caught at the bottom of .... that place Awesome! because it was my first go and it was female and Modest. My most recent Magikarp/Gyarados was called Tragikarp.

I really only name the stuff I'll be using. I never rename legendaries. Although I never used legendaries, so .... Well, except Victini because he's too cute for words. And the elemental monkeys suck and I wanted a fire type.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Yes, though as someone said, that itself is no garentee (it's from Hong Kong). As I said, had it not been mentioned that it could be fake, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. But as this only came with the manual, and no other wadge of paperwork like all the others - assuming this isn't an idosyncracy of US games - then it's about the only clue it is a fake.

The balance to me says it is, but if it one of the US chaps can confirm that for me, I can hopefully get my money back armed with that extra ammunition and a little bit of diplomatic tact.
    Ok, in Order, it should have:

The Manual, which is 58 numbered pages long, plus 2 more additional pages(so 61 altogether).
    A "Join the Club" advertisement to join the Nintendo Power Club
    A fold-out piece of paper that talks about "Rotom Changes Form in pokemon Platinum Version" on one side, and on the other it has ads for the Official Strategy Guide, the Giratina movie, Pokemon ranger, and Two Pokemon Mystery Dungeons.
    A Nintendo DS Health and Safety Precautions Booklet
    Nintendo DS Wi-Fi Connection Manual

The box itself should have the game, with a Nintendo DS Logo immediately to the right of it. Directly above the DS Game should be a spot to carry a Nintendo Gameboy Advance game. On the left side of the case(where the booklets are), there should be a Nintendo Logo in the middle of the box. Along the inside seam of the box, there should be a "Patent Pending" at the top part, and at the bottom of the seam a Model No.

Other then that, look closely at your cartridge. There should be a number code at the bottom of the cart on the front plus the Nintendo Seal. On the back there should be white lettering on the Green section right above the connector pins. Above that there should again be a Nintendo Logo, with another 6 digit code followed by Pat Pend, then below that, a final Code of some sort.

Hope that helps ya out :)
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-02-07 at 05:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post
    My Lillipup was called Dishface; once it evolved to a Stoutland, it was renamed Beardface. I named the Volcarona I caught at the bottom of .... that place Awesome! because it was my first go and it was female and Modest. My most recent Magikarp/Gyarados was called Tragikarp.

I really only name the stuff I'll be using. I never rename legendaries. Although I never used legendaries, so .... Well, except Victini because he's too cute for words. And the elemental monkeys suck and I wanted a fire type.
    I tend to pick a theme and then name things after that. For example, when doing an all dragon team in Platinum, they were all named for various dragons out of Dragonlance. My first run through in White, everyone was named after characters from Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

15. - Top - End - #375
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    I tend to pick a theme and then name things after that. For example, when doing an all dragon team in Platinum, they were all named for various dragons out of Dragonlance. My first run through in White, everyone was named after characters from Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep?
    In my white run. I did a Fire emblem naming theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Ok, in Order, it should have:

The Manual, which is 58 numbered pages long, plus 2 more additional pages(so 61 altogether).
    A "Join the Club" advertisement to join the Nintendo Power Club
    A fold-out piece of paper that talks about "Rotom Changes Form in pokemon Platinum Version" on one side, and on the other it has ads for the Official Strategy Guide, the Giratina movie, Pokemon ranger, and Two Pokemon Mystery Dungeons.
    A Nintendo DS Health and Safety Precautions Booklet
    Nintendo DS Wi-Fi Connection Manual

The box itself should have the game, with a Nintendo DS Logo immediately to the right of it. Directly above the DS Game should be a spot to carry a Nintendo Gameboy Advance game. On the left side of the case(where the booklets are), there should be a Nintendo Logo in the middle of the box. Along the inside seam of the box, there should be a "Patent Pending" at the top part, and at the bottom of the seam a Model No.

Other then that, look closely at your cartridge. There should be a number code at the bottom of the cart on the front plus the Nintendo Seal. On the back there should be white lettering on the Green section right above the connector pins. Above that there should again be a Nintendo Logo, with another 6 digit code followed by Pat Pend, then below that, a final Code of some sort.

Hope that helps ya out :)
    It does, as it confirms what I thought. It is a knock-off, albiet a very convincing one - the case, for example, is indistinguishable from the proper ones, and they have put some serial numbers of the back of the cartridge (but on the green bit above the connector pins, where it looks a bit different). The manual is I think, also rather short, and probably has some of the bts (like techical support pages) removed, and that's the only paperwork with it.

Well, not gonna buy games from ebay again. (Though to be fair, it's why I only spent a tenner on it!) I hadn't realised how cute the knock-off people were, because they clearly have sunk some effort into it; had I not been forewarned by the thread here, I doubt I would have noticed - until and if the cartridge failed (and I'm not prepared to take the risk.) The high seller feedback clearly indicates they are pretty good at it...

So, thanks very much! I'll see if I can't get the money back - I'm pretty sure they're so paranoid about not getting negative feedback, they won't kick up much of a fuss... And then we shall see about reporting them.

Looks like I'll be spending Ł30 of the Euroversion after all. (Shame, I would have liked the US version, as I recall we got Volt Orb Flip in Plat instead of being able to usefully buy some coins for the TMs...)

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I'm glad I could help ya out there ^^ On another note, please don't cross E-bay off your list just yet. While there are shady sellers(and, unfortunately, a lot of them do come from Hong Kong, I personally won't buy anything from there anymore), there are plenty of respectable ones, and if you are patient, you could probably get the same deal from a U.S. Seller.

I myself got Pokemon Black about 2 months or so after it's release(so it was still very much in demand and high in price) for 15 bucks(that included shipping), Brand New, Sealed, from a U.S. seller. It took me about 2 weeks of close watching, but it was well worth the effort, considering most Pokemon Black STILL go for 30 bucks on E-bay + Shipping.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, eBay's still a good place, just that Sturgeon's Law applies there, too. I mean, I got my MacBook from eBay, and it hasn't kerploded.

What are other people's policies on nicknaming Pokémon?
    Every pokemon not the result of a mad scientist breeding experiment gets a nickname. No matter how horrible the nickname. Aside from the obvious "Wuf" nicknaming scheme that has occured, I've also used horizontal smileys and pastry themes.

E: It has also lead to a really awkward coincidence where I named a Seadra after my 2D Design Professor, only to have her get divorced and move far away from here the next month.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-02-07 at 08:28 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Well, I'm glad I could help ya out there ^^ On another note, please don't cross E-bay off your list just yet. While there are shady sellers(and, unfortunately, a lot of them do come from Hong Kong, I personally won't buy anything from there anymore), there are plenty of respectable ones, and if you are patient, you could probably get the same deal from a U.S. Seller.

I myself got Pokemon Black about 2 months or so after it's release(so it was still very much in demand and high in price) for 15 bucks(that included shipping), Brand New, Sealed, from a U.S. seller. It took me about 2 weeks of close watching, but it was well worth the effort, considering most Pokemon Black STILL go for 30 bucks on E-bay + Shipping.
    I had a quick look, but there weren't any that would ship out of the US, weren't stupidly expensive, or had US versions (one UK seller had some, preportedly, but had appeared to have oversold, and looked as dubious as the Hong Kong ones.) So I bought one form Play.com for Ł26 quid, which isn't too bad, seeing as the Euro versions seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground. With ebay, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. *shrug*

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I usually go with a Mythology theme for my nicknames. Prometheus the Infernape, Grendel the Gyarados, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Is there a way to influence the "featured move" on Dream World pokemon, or is it just rando why am I even asking that question er, are Dream World pokemon limited to just one featured move, or can they have several?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like it is limited to 1. Can you reset Dream World Pokemon? If not, I don't think any of the special moves serve any purpose unless they are breedable.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

23. - Top - End - #383

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Is there a way to influence the "featured move" on Dream World pokemon, or is it just rando why am I even asking that question er, are Dream World pokemon limited to just one featured move, or can they have several?
    Some Pokemon have two DW moves (Smeargle, for instance). It seems like doing well in the minigames pushes the odds in favor of getting them, but to be honest I don't keep track of that, so that's Bulbapedia talking.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

I think he was asking if a Dream World Pal can have multiple special moves, as in more than 1 at a time. Right?

And none of Smeargle's Dream World Moves matter, because his only normal move is Sketch, which is almost every other move in the game.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I feel like it is limited to 1. Can you reset Dream World Pokemon? If not, I don't think any of the special moves serve any purpose unless they are breedable.
    At the move level, no, you can't reset Dream World pokemon because their moves are determined before they hit your cart. At least as far as my knowledge goes? Thing is, some of the special moves are cool, so if you have a good nature and passable IVs, it could be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuho Tsugu View Post
    Some Pokemon have two DW moves (Smeargle, for instance). It seems like doing well in the minigames pushes the odds in favor of getting them, but to be honest I don't keep track of that, so that's Bulbapedia talking.
    I'm thinking, right now, of Rotom, who has three "featured" moves on Dream World: Thunder Wave, Shock Wave, and Signal Beam. I'm wondering if I get a Rotom where the move displayed is Shock Wave, if Signal Beam could be one of the blanked-out moves.

E: Particularly, before Black and White came out, I kinda wanted to have an Electric/Fire type with Levitate, and I mean, I kinda feel obligated to use one now that we have one. Signal Beam sounds like a nice possibility to round out a threat or two, so if I luck out, why not?
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-02-09 at 10:31 PM.
    ---

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

I was wondering about resetting for the IVs and natures. If you can't do that, the special moves are probably just a non-issue for me.

27. - Top - End - #387

I followed a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy nicknaming theme in HeartGold because I immediately thought of the Infinite Improbability Drive and the ship powered by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Well you've got two options - you can either wait for life to throw you a bone, or you can make your own by tearing it out of Life's quivering body, with your bare teeth and nails in a frenzied bloodied act of cannibalism.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    I was wondering about resetting for the IVs and natures. If you can't do that, the special moves are probably just a non-issue for me.
    Hm... Just poked around in PokeCGear, and it looks like the game stores the data as Pokemon species, Gender, and a single Attack. So, yeah, looks like the IVs and natures are sat at the start of the encounter, so you can reset for those. That... Also answers my question, then. Good thing I didn't take that Rotom I saw earlier, then. Bad thing that I took Mawile instead.
    ---

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    I'm thinking, right now, of Rotom, who has three "featured" moves on Dream World: Thunder Wave, Shock Wave, and Signal Beam. I'm wondering if I get a Rotom where the move displayed is Shock Wave, if Signal Beam could be one of the blanked-out moves.
    Oh. In that case, no: the other blanked out moves are always ones it would learn by level-up.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, resettable natures, eh? That'll help my breeding efforts later.