New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Pokémon XII: Truth of the Ideal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I'm doing a HeartGold run, limiting myself to three Pokemon in-party at a time, not including HM slaves (four if three proves impossible). I'm currently at Bugsy's Gym, with a Quilava, a Butterfree, and a Zubat. Any tips on what Pokemon to switch at what points? If any evolutiions should be delayed, I want to know those too (I remember that Torchik learned Flamethrower if you didn't evolve it til level 40 (forgot that it had an Everstone)).
    Personally, one move delayed 5 levels isn't worth delaying evolution 24 levels if you're going to use the 'mon. Quilava learns moves at the same level as Typhlosion anyway (and Golbat the same as Crobat).

Now, if it was the case of a move that only the lower stage learns, I would agree with you.

Also, at Bugsy's, the general strategy is:
    1.) Lead with Quilava.
    2.) Hey, look! Fire! Against a Bug gym!
    3.) Do you really need my help for this?
    4.) If you can't just Flame Wheel or Ember past the entire gym, annoy with the other two why are you playing Pokémon at all? It's a Scyther, a Metapod, and a Kakuna!
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-03-08 at 07:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Personally, one move delayed 5 levels isn't worth delaying evolution 24 levels if you're going to use the 'mon. Quilava learns moves at the same level as Typhlosion anyway (and Golbat the same as Crobat).

Now, if it was the case of a move that only the lower stage learns, I would agree with you.

Also, at Bugsy's, the general strategy is:
    1.) Lead with Quilava.
    2.) Hey, look! Fire! Against a Bug gym!
    3.) Do you really need my help for this?
    4.) If you can't just Flame Wheel or Ember past the entire gym, annoy with the other two why are you playing Pokémon at all? It's a Scyther, a Metapod, and a Kakuna!
    Oh, misunderstanding. I know that Fire is what to do for Bugsy's gym, and all the other basic type-matchups. I'm just not as familiar as some with what pokemon I can find where, and as I have only 3, I can't afford to waste space in my party.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

I would consider raising an Adamant Technician Scyther, or picking up a Heracross. Both are really strong, and Hera is rather stupidly powerful.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Oh, misunderstanding. I know that Fire is what to do for Bugsy's gym, and all the other basic type-matchups. I'm just not as familiar as some with what pokemon I can find where, and as I have only 3, I can't afford to waste space in my party.
    I remember that in Goldenrod City, you can trade a Drowzee (you can find them on Rule ROUTE 34) for a Machop. Get a female Drowzee with a Attack boosting nature. Give that to the trainer, and you'll receive a Female Machop with a good Nature. Use her against Whitney. Even the Arceus-damned Miltank she has will fall to it.
    (However, as a backup, I had Nidorino with Double Kick in case Machop fainted.)
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I remember that in Goldenrod City, you can trade a Drowzee (you can find them on Rule ROUTE 34) for a Machop. Get a female Drowzee with a Attack boosting nature. Give that to the trainer, and you'll receive a Female Machop with a good Nature. Use her against Whitney. Even the Arceus-damned Miltank she has will fall to it.
    (However, as a backup, I had Nidorino with Double Kick in case Machop fainted.)
    Who should I switch out for it?
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

6. - Top - End - #636
    Troll in the Playground

Arguably, Butterfree. At this point in the game, butterfree's usefulness starts to go down significantly. The 4x weakness to Rock means that the one gym where Butterfree would be magnificent (Fighting) is marred. Still has goodish stats, but Whitney will probably be a fair balance and Morty will crush you under the heel of his Gengars.

You need to continue boosting Zubat so he evolves ASAP, because he should then go Crobat pretty quick, and Crobat is, frequently, the only way I can handle Morty's Gengars.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Bugbear in the Playground

I remember I beat Morty mostly due to having my HM-slave Sentret in my party. It was level ten. I just spammed Odor Sleuth (or Foresight, I can't remember) until they ran out of Sucker Punches and Shadow Balls. Most hilarious victory ever.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ogre in the Playground

For Morty, I used a Scrappy Kangaskhan I got from the Pokewalker. I may have also used a Haunter or a Gengar I evolved from a Gastly from Belltower, but I think that one got fainted quickly. Ghost vs. Ghost is a risky option, so you're probably better off with a Crobat with Bite.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Heracross is a beast. It learns Brick Break at level 17. You can get it before you fight Whitney. Having a guy with Brick Break turns that fight from "enormously challenging" into "maybe I might need one Super Potion to win this with Brick Break spam." Fighting is also a great way to beat Pryce, as I'm pretty sure all his Pokemon are weak to it. Fighting is also useful against Jasmine. Overall, Fighting-type. Use it. Heracross just happens to be the best, especially if you can't get Machamp.

It would help if I remembered what my team was to beat SoulSilver, as I remember Morty not being as difficult as the comments are making him sound. I only remember that I had a Typhlosion. It's hard to remember because I keep mixing it up with the Gold run I did right before I played SoulSilver.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Heracross is a beast. It learns Brick Break at level 17. You can get it before you fight Whitney. Having a guy with Brick Break turns that fight from "enormously challenging" into "maybe I might need one Super Potion to win this with Brick Break spam." Fighting is also a great way to beat Pryce, as I'm pretty sure all his Pokemon are weak to it. Fighting is also useful against Jasmine. Overall, Fighting-type. Use it. Heracross just happens to be the best, especially if you can't get Machamp.

It would help if I remembered what my team was to beat SoulSilver, as I remember Morty not being as difficult as the comments are making him sound. I only remember that I had a Typhlosion. It's hard to remember because I keep mixing it up with the Gold run I did right before I played SoulSilver.
    Well, I can't get Machamp. Do I get the Machop and go for Machoke, or do I get Heracross?

Any other notables to go for at any particular point in the game?
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Heracross!

HERACROSS!

Heracross is also somewhat useful against Chuck (resists STAB), and can be a strong contender in the Elite Four battles.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

If your choices are Machoke and Heracross, Heracross is far better. Machamp is plausible competition for Heracross, but Machoke is definitely not. Being Bug-type is useful, and Heracross is so powerful.

I feel like it's possible I used a Crobat but I don't remember. I wish I did. I believe I also had a Magnemite for Morty. I wish I remembered my whole team up to that point.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

What about the split-path point in the game? Which way provides something more useful?

As of now, my team is:
    Zubat, level 12
    Butterfree, level 11
    Quilava, level... 1 after he evolves into Quilava.

Beat Bugsy's Scyther with Quilava (Smokescreen is great). Beat the cocoons with Zubat (one Supersonic, then Astonish, occasionally healing the scratch damage with Leech Life. Poison immunity is great). Could have used Quilava, but Zubat needed the XP.

the rest of my party is:
    Bellsprout, Cut and Flash slave
    Togepi (from the Egg), to remind me to go to Elm once I get rid of the Sudowoodo tree and have a bike.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

I have no idea what the current conversation is, I'm just putting this out there:

Is Pokemon running out of colors to use?

For example, WHAT will they possibly have to name their Gen 6 games? Cyan and Magenta? Perhaps Orange and Purple?
    What about Gen 7 (This is a long way off, don't worry )? Will they have to use Plaid and Argyle?
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    I have no idea what the current conversation is, I'm just putting this out there:

Is Pokemon running out of colors to use?

For example, WHAT will they possibly have to name their Gen 6 games? Cyan and Magenta? Perhaps Orange and Purple?
    What about Gen 7 (This is a long way off, don't worry )? Will they have to use Plaid and Argyle?
    They use minerals, too. Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.
    Last edited by Talvereaux; 2012-03-10 at 01:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Level 100 Zekrom, got. Now I need 40 more trades for a master ball, to get Kyurem.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Level 100 Zekrom, got. Now I need 40 more trades for a master ball, to get Kyurem.
    ...You don't need a Master Ball for Kyurem. Just play after 8PM and use Dusk Balls, and bring a Steel type to absolutely wall the guy.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Troll in the Playground

Kyurem is in a cave anyway.

19. - Top - End - #649
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    ...You don't need a Master Ball for Kyurem. Just play after 8PM and use Dusk Balls, and bring a Steel type to absolutely wall the guy.
    Oooh, I forgot about the Dusk Balls. I'll need to get someone up to a high enough level to wall him though.

For the most part, I've been focusing on filling up my dex as much as I can, mostly by leveling up the 'mons I already have. I don't have much of an interest in the PvP aspect in BW.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Oooh, I forgot about the Dusk Balls. I'll need to get someone up to a high enough level to wall him though.

For the most part, I've been focusing on filling up my dex as much as I can, mostly by leveling up the 'mons I already have. I don't have much of an interest in the PvP aspect in BW.
    I am three 'mons away from filling up my dex, and my best friend throughout the whole thing has been a bisharp with false swipe and thunder wave. She makes it REALLY easy to catch stuff.
    I'm back.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Troll in the Playground

I'm using a Weavil to do my catching. Right now I'm trying to focus on evolving everyone already have, then I'm going to look at trading people for what I can't catch (like the two other starters)
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

Unova Dex, or National?

*has a similar project*

*is short a very small number of pokemon*

23. - Top - End - #653
    Troll in the Playground

I'm focusing on Unova right now T_T

I have less than 400 seen and less than 200 actually in the dex. I've been veeeerry lazy.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

I'm at... 617? 619? Something like that. (That's 'in dex' FYI)

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

Lessee, 629 seen, 606 obtained. Including a full collection of Unown from Diamond. I think my catch buddy was supposed to be Smeargle with Spore, Mean Look, and Baton Pass, but then I found out Mean Look no longer passes, so I think I just used level 92 Scizor with Swords Dance and False Swipe, then some other random pokemon with Flash/Sand-Attack and Double Team/Minimize. Most everything's just breed and level now, so not a lotta catching going on.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Oracle, you keep your 'full' dex sections at all?

We might not have overlap in "needed" pokemon.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Is it me, or are they doing a boat-load of legendary wi-fi give aways at the moment? Zekrom and Reshiram make, what the forth one (Arceus/Mewtwo/Victini2...) At this rate, I'll be able to make a team of legendaries in both Black and White, without ever having to catch a Pokemon...

I mean, it's not like I mind or anything, of course, just an observation, but... I got the impression it wasn't anything like this intense in Gen IV, was it? Is it just that in Gen V, there's so much more reliance on the web and wi-fi or something...?

28. - Top - End - #658
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Is it me, or are they doing a boat-load of legendary wi-fi give aways at the moment? Zekrom and Reshiram make, what the forth one (Arceus/Mewtwo/Victini2...) At this rate, I'll be able to make a team of legendaries in both Black and White, without ever having to catch a Pokemon...

I mean, it's not like I mind or anything, of course, just an observation, but... I got the impression it wasn't anything like this intense in Gen IV, was it? Is it just that in Gen V, there's so much more reliance on the web and wi-fi or something...?
    Gen IV was pretty generous on wi-fi events, too. In the span of HGSS alone, there was a Celebi event, shiny legendary beasts, a Jirachi event, a Mew event, and whichever member of the Lati@s duo your game was missing. There were also promotional legendaries like Manaphy and Eruption Heatran that you got for buying some spinoff titles that came out at the time, though those aren't exactly 'give aways'.

It's one thing I love about the new wi-fi capabilities. It's way easier getting event legendaries now. You usually had to live in New York or something to take part in the first three generations' giveaways.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Barbarian in the Playground

Has anyone else ever gotten a "critical capture" in Gen 5, where the poke ball only has to shake once before it catches the pokemon? If so, which one was your first?

I just had my first critical capture - on a friggin' Stunfisk. That would've been really nice to have when I was wasting an hour trying to catch Virizion.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I've had a couple dozen Crit Captures. I think my first was fairly early on, since I quickly realized that they had a more... metallic? swoosh to them when you throw them.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if there was something hidden in the capture code that limits your chances of getting one against legends...