New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon XII: Truth of the Ideal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    The biggest issue with RestoChesto is that it uses up your item slot. On some Pokemon, Leftovers recovery is incredibly important for long-term survivability. On others, having access to power-boosting items is huge. Additionally, because Chesto Berry is gone after a single use, every other Rest on such Pokemon comes with the usual consequences of Rest (barring Recycle or Harvest, which are uncommon options). This is problematic, especially with the new Sleep rules resetting the Sleep Counter every time you switch out. It's possible that once you use Rest again, you are actually just dead weight.
    With RestoChesto, what you want to do is put it on a late game sweeper (Kingdra, Volcorona, etc.) that way you bait someone to status you or what not while boosting, then rest, and PRESTO! broom mode enabled.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

That was odd. My Dusk Balls seemed to have a much crappier catch rate than my Ultra Balls did. It's past 8 here, so what gives?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    That was odd. My Dusk Balls seemed to have a much crappier catch rate than my Ultra Balls did. It's past 8 here, so what gives?
    Probability is what gives. Most likely you just got unlucky.
    I'm back.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aerodynamik View Post
    Probability is what gives. Most likely you just got unlucky.
    Certainly seems that way. I guess I was expecting the same sort of luck for Suicune that I had for Raikou and Latios - Down into red hp, sleep, 4 dusk balls and call it a day.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Troll in the Playground

When you get to low catch rates like Latios and most other legendaries, luck is the bigger factor than your balls.

Latios has a catch rate of 3. He's at level 35 for you, right? 80 Base HP, let's assume he has 0 HP IVs for the sake of ease. That puts its Max HP at... 101, I believe. Assuming you've reduced his HP to 1 and no statuses are in play, the modified catch rate for a dusk ball is 10.43%, and an Ultra Ball 5.96%. Now that you've had the modified catch rate, you can calculate the capture probability...

Originally the rest of this post consisted of me fumbling around math and a calculator, which is really something I shouldn't do at 11:00pm, and then I scrolled down to the bottom of the Bulbapedia page and found a program that calculates things for me. Dusk Balls have a capture probability for such a Latios of 4.09%. Ultra Balls are at 2.34%. So, while Dusk Balls have a higher chance of working, either way, either of them will fail over 95% of the time.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

Whatever. Now that Suicune's been caught, I can relax to a nice battle theme.

You know what Pokemon needs? A way to select your own battle music. I would pick this EVERY TIME.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-04-02 at 11:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

I am still quite partial to what is in my opinion the best Pokemon theme ever. Still gives me chills.

I think Coliseum and XD had some awesome tracks, though. This one is chilling to me, and I still think Miror B's XD theme is great.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

It's Deoxys' theme or bust Gen 1 Bicycle Ride for me.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

9. - Top - End - #819
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    The biggest issue with HydroRest is that the only really good Pokemon with access to it is Manaphy, who is banned, and Vaporeon. If you're trying to use Rest on Pokemon that need to use Rest (you know, because they don't have other options), then Sleep Talk becomes one of two viable choices.

The biggest issue with RestoChesto is that it uses up your item slot. On some Pokemon, Leftovers recovery is incredibly important for long-term survivability. On others, having access to power-boosting items is huge. Additionally, because Chesto Berry is gone after a single use, every other Rest on such Pokemon comes with the usual consequences of Rest (barring Recycle or Harvest, which are uncommon options). This is problematic, especially with the new Sleep rules resetting the Sleep Counter every time you switch out. It's possible that once you use Rest again, you are actually just dead weight.

Sleep Talk allows a Resting Pokemon to do something. A move slot might actually be worth a 67% chance to do something useful instead of a 0% chance for two turns. It is more Pokemon-dependent than anything.

I really like a bulky heracross rest / sleep talk build I came up a long time ago. It's not as effective as it could be (not by a LONG shot) but the sleep talk + guts boost has taken many a pokemon by surprise. Doesn't work nearly as well when the competition gets serious, though.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

I wish I had named my Snivy Excalibur.

11. - Top - End - #821

I wish I had named my Snivy Excalibur.
    You can rename them in that one really really big city that I forget the name of.

Find the name rater!

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Name Rater's on the rear end of Castelia City, the building on the left as you head towards Nimbasa, a much better-constructed city.

Oh hey, lookee there, that TBS Pokemon Samurai Noburger's Ambition game is getting localized for release outside of Japan. Quick everyone, get your hopes up so they can be dashed in the future!
    ---

13. - Top - End - #823

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Name Rater's on the rear end of Castelia City, the building on the left as you head towards Nimbasa, a much better-constructed city.

Oh hey, lookee there, that TBS Pokemon Samurai Noburger's Ambition game is getting localized for release outside of Japan. Quick everyone, get your hopes up so they can be dashed in the future!
    Oh yeah? Well it comes the day after mah burrrfdaaay, so it's GOT to be good!

Apparently the game's been praised as "easily understandable by children", so it may be disappointingly easy. On the other hand, the same could be said for regular pokemon...

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    Apparently the game's been praised as "easily understandable by children",
    So is Othello.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

You really find Shakespeare easy for children to understand? What are you feeding those children?
    ---

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I meant the game, AKA Reversi. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

(Also, Shakespeare is plenty easy to understand... though not necessarily appropriate for children.)

17. - Top - End - #827
    Troll in the Playground

Aw, but that doesn't sound as hilarious.
    ---

18. - Top - End - #828
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    Apparently the game's been praised as "easily understandable by children", so it may be disappointingly easy. On the other hand, the same could be said for regular pokemon...
    If Pokemon games weren't easy to get into, the franchise wouldn't have taken off.

Its success hinges on the fact it can be enjoyed by a lot of people, including and especially casual players. There's postgame content such as the subway and competitive play to tide over hardcore players, but they're ultimately the periphery demographic.

If I were to guess--and this is just a guess--they'll likely have an easy campaign that's accessible to anyone who might be interested, as well as some bonus maps or another mode available for players who want to be challenged where they don't pull their punches. That's largely in line with how the Pokemon franchise goes about placating both demographics.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Talvereaux View Post
    If I were to guess--and this is just a guess--they'll likely have an easy campaign that's accessible to anyone who might be interested, as well as some bonus maps or another mode available for players who want to be challenged where they don't pull their punches. That's largely in line with how the Pokemon franchise goes about placating both demographics.
    Well, it has DLCs in what seem to be the same vein as Ranger. So that's a plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

So, I totally don't know if this is an appropriate request or not, but here goes.

My nephew has only recently gotten Pokemon Black for his 8th birthday after wanting it desperately since he was about 5. His favorite Pokemon is Zorua, and I'd love to give him one, but I'm having trouble getting one myself, since they're apparently another event-only thing. I don't play much at all anymore so I don't have much to trade, but is there anyone who can help me be a heroic uncle of awesomeness? IVs and the like don't matter; he'll be psyched either way, and even if you don't necessarily get an awesome Pokemon out of the trade, I will write you a story or a crown of sonnets or make you an avatar or something.

Much obliged.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GryffonDurime View Post
    So, I totally don't know if this is an appropriate request or not, but here goes.

My nephew has only recently gotten Pokemon Black for his 8th birthday after wanting it desperately since he was about 5. His favorite Pokemon is Zorua, and I'd love to give him one, but I'm having trouble getting one myself, since they're apparently another event-only thing. I don't play much at all anymore so I don't have much to trade, but is there anyone who can help me be a heroic uncle of awesomeness? IVs and the like don't matter; he'll be psyched either way, and even if you don't necessarily get an awesome Pokemon out of the trade, I will write you a story or a crown of sonnets or make you an avatar or something.

Much obliged.
    Good news, everyone!

Zorua and Zoroark are breedable. The Holiday's coming up, so I'm personally a bit cramped, but if nobody else volunteers to get one to you sooner, I can certainly get you one not this week, but next.
    ---

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

I could use a Zorua ^^'
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Good news, everyone!

Zorua and Zoroark are breedable. The Holiday's coming up, so I'm personally a bit cramped, but if nobody else volunteers to get one to you sooner, I can certainly get you one not this week, but next.
    Dude, that is awesome news; no rush at all.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

So I was thinking.

So what if the Stat Judge, when asked to judge a legendary pokemon, had no idea about it, and asked you to judge it for yourself? Then you supplied the answers, which then changed the IVs of the pokemon you were judging (you could also change its nature and shininess this way). Would that be a thing people would want?

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

I would pay money for such a feature.
    I would do...things...terrible things for such a feature.

whyishesmiling.jpg
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think being able to change the nature or shininess of a Pokemon just by talking to the Stat Judge makes any sense, but being able to have perfect Legendaries all the time would be nice, and would also defeat the purpose of anyone resetting their legendaries for stats.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Orc in the Playground

So what if the Stat Judge, when asked to judge a legendary pokemon, had no idea about it, and asked you to judge it for yourself? Then you supplied the answers, which then changed the IVs of the pokemon you were judging (you could also change its nature and shininess this way). Would that be a thing people would want?
    I wouldn't want that (but then I have pet peeves against using legendaries and shinies competitively, so I'm biased).

Customized legendaries and at-will shininess, much less both at once, should not be available in-game. They're supposed to be special because they're so rare, and some legendaries are intended to not be shiny at all.

Also, the Stat Judge's answers are in-character indicators of out-of-character information, so using him as an in-game editing program doesn't make sense. Editing Pokemon is what simulators are for, anyway.
    SnakePirate avatar by CheesePirate

Running Emerald City Knights (OOC)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Translation: when Bahamut called "Dibs!" on your soul the devils sat back down, muttering under their breaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by TricksyAndFalse View Post
    4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    I think we can all agree that optimizing a Beholder Mage beyond being a Beholder Mage is safely in the realm of "overkill" to begin with.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So this

Spoiler
    Show

just started floating around 2ch. If it's real it looks BW2, are in fact, Gen VI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Bugbear in the Playground

I hope it isn't real. It looks kinda lame, to be honest. I don't know how they'd make a cool evolution out of a cactus bird :P
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

It looks like Maractus fused with some bird-like Pokemon.