New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon XII: Truth of the Ideal Thread

Heavy and Metal. <.<

2. - Top - End - #932
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Heavy and Metal. <.<
    Gah, beat me to it...

You play LoL? I must have missed your avatar on the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #933
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Lol sadly true, Manectric just doesn't cut it
    But man I do not miss all the Surfing and trumpets *shudder* so much brass in 3rd Gen...
    I actually liked the trumpets.

Though with that being said, III is probably my least favorite generation. I often think of it as an awkward puberty stage for the franchise; it made some important changes (e.g. EVs and natures replacing the less interactive stat EXP) but the games their selves weren't as fun to me as every other generation (didn't like its regional Pokedex or how Hoenn was designed, and the lack of backwards compatibility was an annoying necessity). They were still great games, mind you, but when compared to the rest of the franchise, I didn't enjoy them especially.

Of course, that's just my opinion. As far as I can tell, Gen III is a bit of a polarizing installment, and the opinions I hear of it are strongly varied even by fandom's standards.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I thank everyone for their input, I guess that makes it clear that I should definitely get Emerald over Sapphire, which is fine. ^^ I guess after Emerald, even though I do have a first-gen game, I'll probably eventually buy one of the remakes(Fire Red or Leaf Green), so I can actually PLAY the original(as I don't have a gameboy or gameboy color), and I don't think my Super gameboy works anymore.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

I was not a fan of Gen III. While the remakes were amazing and I greatly enjoyed them, I had problems accepting R/S/E. While plot isn't a major element of Pokemon, I honestly spent half the game wondering what the hell I was even doing. Most of the new Pokemon did not strike my fancy, which made it harder to accept that I wouldn't be seeing a large portion of the familiar Pokemon I was used to. The lack of trade compatibility made R/S/E infuriating to me.

Though I will admit, D/P/P, for all that they may have done to revitalize the series (at least, from my understanding?), aren't actually all that fantastic games. It's very hard to articulate what I like about G/S/C, but they remain my favorites in the series.

Although, Gen III did bring Coliseum and XD, and I do greatly enjoy those games for their game mechanics.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-04-24 at 08:32 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ettin in the Playground

I liked Gen III. I much preferred the color there than on the GBC; it introduced Natures, double battles, and modern berries; and Hoenn was a bright and cheerful place that I liked. On the other hand, the Gen I remakes never really clicked with me for some reason. I also really enjoyed Colosseum.

I think my favorite generations, in order, are V, I, III, IV, and II.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There is no question in regards to the answer to, well, Starwulf's question. Emerald. Emerald all the way.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    The best Electric type in RSE is Gardevoir.
    This is a joke, right? Gardevoir is Psychic...
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2012-04-24 at 08:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    This is a joke, right? Gardevoir is Psychic...
    It is. The joke is that Gardevoir makes for a more effective electric type than the electric types in R/S/E, being able to learn Thunderbolt and Manectric, Plusle, and Minun all being rather useless.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, seeing as how I haven't actually played 3rd Gen yet, I'd have to say that, in order, I prefer Gen II(and the remakes!), Gen I(it was the game that got me into pokemon after-all!), Gen IV, and then Gen V.

Honestly, V may end up being my least favorite. Far to many random battles(I mean, I just got done SoulSilver about 6-9 months ago, so my memory isn't that hazy), with literally one every 2-3 steps the majority of the time, the removal of a few HMs(and subsequent introduction of them into TM status), the lack of a flower-pot to grow berries, and the seemingly odd-way Moves and Evolution is handled(am I the only one who has noticed that by evolving you often shut yourself out of a decent group of moves permanently, instead of merely delaying their gain? Pansear and SimiSear for example, according to a guide on Gamefaqs, I'm screwed on fire-based moves for Simisear since I evolved him early, and Simisear learns virtually none from here on out). NO gambling mini-games kinda sucks as well :-((Unless they come on after you beat the League, which I'm about to head to) No phone and ability to collect phone numbers is a bit disheartening, I figured they'd keep that, Soulsilver was awesome because you could go back and rechallenge trainers, and often get little prizes from them, including evo stones.

Don't get me wrong, Gen V does have a few good things going for it, The story so far I've enjoyed, and the ability to re-use Technical Machines is pretty awesome, no more spending a fortune on them. The ease of leveling pokemon with Audino's is pretty sweet as well, definitely eases the nasty grind a bit. Other then that though... Well, at least I still have the Dream World to look forward to, whenever that kicks in ^^.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Gen VI(or would it be Gen V 1/2?). Hopefully GameFreak has listened to it's fans and brings back some of the really fun things into Black & White 2, as well as add some serious cross-compatibility with Black & White 1. I'm sure I'll probably end up snagging White 2 the day it releases(since I already have Black from the original Black & white).

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Pansear and SimiSear for example, according to a guide on Gamefaqs, I'm screwed on fire-based moves for Simisear since I evolved him early, and Simisear learns virtually none from here on out).
    They're stone-evolved. Stone evolutions (other than Eevee and a few others) have always had minimal moves by level up.

You can access the Dream World soon after the first gym, actually... when you get your C-Gear, follow the instructions to get Dream World play.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    They're stone-evolved. Stone evolutions (other than Eevee and a few others) have always had minimal moves by level up.

You can access the Dream World soon after the first gym, actually... when you get your C-Gear, follow the instructions to get Dream World play.
    Hmm, I guess I wouldn't have noticed that since I rarely bother with Stone-based Evos unless it is in fact an Eevee ^^.

Pissy on the Dream-World bit then, I didn't realize I actually HAD to connect with the C-Gear. I haven't been able to figure out how to change my Wifi Settings so that my DS can connect, so I guess I'm screwed on Dream World stuff :-(.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

It is. The joke is that Gardevoir makes for a more effective electric type than the electric types in R/S/E, being able to learn Thunderbolt and Manectric, Plusle, and Minun all being rather useless.
    Let's be fair, Magneton is actually fairly good.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Let's be fair, Magneton is actually fairly good.
    For some reason, I always forget Magneton is available in Hoenn...

It might be because I just despise Magnetite and Magneton, though...
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2012-04-24 at 11:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Pissy on the Dream-World bit then, I didn't realize I actually HAD to connect with the C-Gear. I haven't been able to figure out how to change my Wifi Settings so that my DS can connect, so I guess I'm screwed on Dream World stuff :-(.
    Considering that the actual Dream World gameplay is right here... connecting to the internet is pretty important for it.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering that the actual Dream World gameplay is right here... connecting to the internet is pretty important for it.
    Ahh. For some odd reason, I had it in my mind that the Dream World was some sort of mini-game in-game that I'd get to get into once I beat the League/finish main storyline. Well, I guess unless I get very lucky and manage to figure out how to change my WiFi security settings so I can connect with my DS, I'll be out in the cold for the Dream World stuff.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a question about the use of Trick Room and Gyro Ball together. Does Gyro Ball work like it's supposed to once Trick Room is up?

Pokemon in question using the moves is Bronzong.

Also Mando, if you see this, your new avatar is awesome.
    Currently playing a "blind" (Miraluka) sniper in a Star Wars SAGA Edition RP

17. - Top - End - #947
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Gah, beat me to it...

You play LoL? I must have missed your avatar on the thread.
    I've deliberately avoided affiliating with the playground's LoL community. Mostly because I don't play nearly enough for my affiliation to be more than a drain. I play with my friends; if I wanted to play with a bunch of random people from the board, i would, but that's like a pub where the other party members happen to have a bit of accountability.

To the subject matter at hand:
    Gen III is one of those generations that I didn't enjoy. I went back and played it after receiving Gen IV, and it felt like the step back it was. But Gen I remakes felt worse to me than anything else. The biggest improvement in the Gen II remakes over the Gen I remakes to me was that I could actually use pokemon that weren't in Gen II in the remakes!

Sure, evolving a yanma into Yanmega is a bit... broken's not the right term, but it's a bit of a Disk One Nuke. With the Gen I remakes, you can't even get a Crobat if you don't have the national dex. And to make things worse, they will start the evolution and then randomly cancel every single time.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

Gen 3 is trumpets
    Gen 4 is piano
    Gen 5 is...drums I think?

Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

19. - Top - End - #949

What about Magneton and Electrode in New Mauville?

Anyway, having just replayed it recently, I can't help but think that Crystal is one of the best Pokemon games, once you adjust for the fact that it's obviously aged quite a bit. I especially liked the diversity of catchable Pokemon in the game (that egg it gives you at the daycare helps a lot with that), which feels like it hasn't really been matched much in recent games.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

B2W2 should be pretty diverse.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ettin in the Playground

Isn't there a berry that lowers your EVs, so you can train EVs from 0 to 512? If so, is it growable(like in soulsilver with the pots)? Following those two questions, what would be some decent pokemon to raise for the Battle Subway? I'm currently running Haxorus, Unfezant, Samurott, Zebstrika, SimiSear, and Beartic. I'm not looking for anything top tier, insanely powerful, just something that would let me actually compete fairly well. Also, suggestions on how to handle EVs would be nice, I've never bothered with anything like this before, I've just played the game as-is, using whatever pokemon caught my fancy. Not as concerned about natures or abilities, but suggestions for those would be nice as well. My Unfezant has the "Lucky" ability, which is pretty cool, he gets a TON of critical hits it seems. Oh, suggestions for held items as well. ^^

Final question: What DOES "Mold-Breaker" actually do? I thought, initially, it allowed your pokemon to attack regardless of status conditions(paralyze, confusion, love, etc), but that was disproved a while ago.

22. - Top - End - #952

MindFlayer

Isn't there a berry that lowers your EVs, so you can train EVs from 0 to 512? If so, is it growable(like in soulsilver with the pots)? Following those two questions, what would be some decent pokemon to raise for the Battle Subway? I'm currently running Haxorus, Unfezant, Samurott, Zebstrika, SimiSear, and Beartic. I'm not looking for anything top tier, insanely powerful, just something that would let me actually compete fairly well. Also, suggestions on how to handle EVs would be nice, I've never bothered with anything like this before, I've just played the game as-is, using whatever pokemon caught my fancy. Not as concerned about natures or abilities, but suggestions for those would be nice as well. My Unfezant has the "Lucky" ability, which is pretty cool, he gets a TON of critical hits it seems. Oh, suggestions for held items as well. ^^

Final question: What DOES "Mold-Breaker" actually do? I thought, initially, it allowed your pokemon to attack regardless of status conditions(paralyze, confusion, love, etc), but that was disproved a while ago.
    Not quite. Mold Breaker lets you do damage regardless of abilities - eg you can hit something with Levitate with Ground moves or do full Fire damage to things with Heatproof.

There's a berry to lower each EV. I can't recall which is which. In B/W they only grow in the Dream World. You might just be better off breeding new mons for the Subway and giving them the right EVs from the word go.

I find the Battle Subway the hardest thing in the game. Certainly a lot harder than the Elite Four. You only play with 3 mons (or 4 in double battles). At the moment I'm running Magic Bounce Espeon for dual screens, Volcarona, Metagross and a fourth (generally Samurott because I got one with insane IVs - I think nothing lower than 24 - and she can get really good super-effective coverage). I do ... okay.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post
    Not quite. Mold Breaker lets you do damage regardless of abilities - eg you can hit something with Levitate with Ground moves or do full Fire damage to things with Heatproof.
    A full list of the abilities it breaks through is found here. Note that Reshiram and Zekrom have abilities that work identically to Mold Breaker but have much more awesome activation text.

The effects of Mold Breaker, while situational, are actually quite devastating... Multiscale Dragonite is not safe at all from Haxorus, and neither are Sturdy or Solid Rock Pokémon.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ettin in the Playground

A full list of the abilities it breaks through is found here. Note that Reshiram and Zekrom have abilities that work identically to Mold Breaker but have much more awesome activation text.

The effects of Mold Breaker, while situational, are actually quite devastating... Multiscale Dragonite is not safe at all from Haxorus, and neither are Sturdy or Solid Rock Pokémon.
    Oh wow, so I can OHKO annoying Boldores and stuff that have Sturdy? Niiiiccceee. Never realized that!

Where is the person in Black that tells you your IVs?

25. - Top - End - #955
    Troll in the Playground

He's in Gear Station, though, like other types of things like him, he won't exactly tell you your IVs specifically. Here's the key, from Bulbapedia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (The first statement) If the IV total is between 0 and 90: "This Pokémon's potential is decent all around." If the IV total is between 91 and 120: "This Pokémon's potential is above average overall." If the IV total is between 121 and 150: "This Pokémon has relatively superior potential overall." If the IV total is between 151 and 186: "This Pokémon has outstanding potential overall."
    (The second statement) If the highest IV is between 0 and 15: "It's rather decent in that regard." If the highest IV is between 16 and 25: "It's very good in that regard." If the highest IV is between 26 and 30:"It's fantastic in that regard." If the highest IV is 31: "It can't be better in that regard."

The EV Reducing berries are Pomeg (HP), Kelpsy (Attack), Qualot (Defense), Hondew (Special Attack), Grepa (Special Defense), and Tamato (Speed). Like ShinyRocks said, though, you don't get them offline. You can trade pokemon holding them, though.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-04-26 at 05:39 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    He's in Gear Station, though, like other types of things like him, he won't exactly tell you your IVs specifically. Here's the key, from Bulbapedia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (The first statement) If the IV total is between 0 and 90: "This Pokémon's potential is decent all around." If the IV total is between 91 and 120: "This Pokémon's potential is above average overall." If the IV total is between 121 and 150: "This Pokémon has relatively superior potential overall." If the IV total is between 151 and 186: "This Pokémon has outstanding potential overall."
    (The second statement) If the highest IV is between 0 and 15: "It's rather decent in that regard." If the highest IV is between 16 and 25: "It's very good in that regard." If the highest IV is between 26 and 30:"It's fantastic in that regard." If the highest IV is 31: "It can't be better in that regard."

The EV Reducing berries are Pomeg (HP), Kelpsy (Attack), Qualot (Defense), Hondew (Special Attack), Grepa (Special Defense), and Tamato (Speed). Like ShinyRocks said, though, you don't get them offline. You can trade pokemon holding them, though.
    Interesting. 3 of my current 'mons are "decent", but all 3 have 1 stat that is fantastic or Can't be better, 2 are "Above Average", with the same, and my Bisharp has Superior Potential, and has two "Fantastics", his Speed and his Attack, which is pretty nice I guess.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Assuming you didn't spend time breeding those, then yes. Yes they are.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Assuming you didn't spend time breeding those, then yes. Yes they are.
    No breeding whatsoever, just whatever the game handed me. Now, if I understand this whole IV thing correctly, if I were to breed my two mon(assuming they were compatible, and of course male/female) that had the 31 in their respective IVs, wouldn't their offspring inherit both of the perfect IV's? I realize the offspring can't inherit more then one IV per parent, but it does choose the highest one, right? Or am I wrong in that?

29. - Top - End - #959

MindFlayer

Nope. It's random. The baby gets 3 random IVs from random parents. You can 'force' them down, by making the parents hold growth items. So if you give a Power Anklet to a parent, that parent's Speed IV will definitely be passed down, along with two other random IVs, which can come from either parent.

If you give BOTH parents a Power item, then only one of the stats will go down, along with two stats that are NOT the ones that you were forcing down with Power items.

But of course if you're using held items to force IVs down, that means you can't force Nature down with an Everstone. (Giving a parent an Everstone gives a 50% chance of passing the Nature down, which is obviously a much better chance than 1 in 25).

Breeding is complicated. And time-consuming. Especially if you're also going for Abilities as well, because some Abilities are WAY better than others, and AFAIK there's no way to force them down.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, you can both force an IV down with a Power Item and use an Everstone to increase chances of getting the right nature on your eggs, so long as you give the right items to the right genders (Power Item to Male Parent, Everstone to Female Parent).

Either that or I've been insanely lucky in my breeding to get this to work so often.