New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,483 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon XII: Truth of the Ideal Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    . The underground in DPPt is the only minigame thus far I've actually sorta liked in Pokemon.)
    Really? You didn't like the mini-game in SoulSilver/HeartGold? The one where you had to correctly identify the squares with numbers on them, compared to the one with voltorbs(Oh yeah! Voltorb Flip it was called!)? I LOVED that mini-game, I played it so much. I got a ton of coins from one once(or whatever it is that you get(unfortunately I can't remember how many, and I don't want to spout of a # that is entirely unlikely, but I know it was about 3x as many as I had ever gotten before on there in one go). I remember it never took me to terribly long to grind enough coins to get enough for one of the good TMs, and I always had fun doing it.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Troll in the Playground

O.o

I didn't know there was something to do in HG/SS other than voltorb flip.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have played Voltorb Flip for hours at a time. It is a great game. I enjoy it rather more than grinding in SoulSilver (such a pain!).

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly feel that HG/SS would have been a stronger outing if the level curve was better.

Kanto's levels really suck for grinding, so the pacing is really kinda crappy. It worked in G/S/C because Red's levels were right around where Blue's levels were. But with the retooling to include Gym Leader Rematches, an improved Elite Four, and a much more powerful Red, there needed to be a better way of grinding. Unfortunately, no such area exists.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Really? You didn't like the mini-game in SoulSilver/HeartGold? The one where you had to correctly identify the squares with numbers on them, compared to the one with voltorbs(Oh yeah! Voltorb Flip it was called!)? I LOVED that mini-game, I played it so much. I got a ton of coins from one once(or whatever it is that you get(unfortunately I can't remember how many, and I don't want to spout of a # that is entirely unlikely, but I know it was about 3x as many as I had ever gotten before on there in one go). I remember it never took me to terribly long to grind enough coins to get enough for one of the good TMs, and I always had fun doing it.
    Eergh, no. I couldn't stand that game. It felt like endless busy work to me. What I mainly liked about the underground digging was it was QUICK. So I could run half a dozen games quickly and get something concrete out of it (instant reward of Stuff, sometimes even useful Stuff!), rather than spend hours doing something that wasn't at all fun for me (I don't like minesweeper, or games of it's ilk, either) to what amounted to increasing a counter so I could get something else.

I tried, I really did - I even used, at the time, one of the web apps that was supposed to help calculate the odds, to cut the time down, but it still felt too long and dull (and the apps weren't that helpful). (It didn't help I was crap at it - and my luck is abyssmal at the best of times - so I don't think I ever got past about level three or something.)

I've already resigned myself to the fact if I want any decent of the TMs (which I will at some point), I'm going to buy them from Diamond/Pearl at stupid expense, beause grinding for the money will be marginally more entertaining.

(I never used the gambling rooms in any of the previous games, either. I just spent the stupid amounts of money to buy the coins and have done with it - why they didn't leave that as an option in HGSS I don't know (if they had, I wouldn't have batted an eyeglow.)

Never use the gambling places in any RPGs, come to that, save for the absolute minimum any sidequest required (e.g Mass Effect). Come to that, I'm not really fond of minigames in general, really; I tend to only play them on sufferance in order to get side quests completed or Some Thing done, than from actually enjoying most of them. I had a few stabs on Contests in Gen III, but haven't bothered making an attempt with the Gen IV and V equivalents, which require hand-eyeglow co-ordination which I really suck at...)

Honestly, I am so glad they got rid of the game corner and it's equivilent in Gen V, even if I have to wait until the post game to get the "good" TMs, because I only have to get them once on one game, and then I can trade Pokemon back-and-forth to learn 'em if I absolutely have to.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-07-13 at 06:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ettin in the Playground

Never use the gambling places in any RPGs, come to that, save for the absolute minimum any sidequest required (e.g Mass Effect). Come to that, I'm not really fond of minigames in general, really; I tend to only play them on sufferance in order to get side quests completed or Some Thing done, than from actually enjoying most of them. I had a few stabs on Contests in Gen III, but haven't bothered making an attempt with the Gen IV and V equivalents, which require hand-eyeglow co-ordination which I really suck at...)
    Please tell me you at least competed in the Pokeathlon? I have like, around 100 hours invested in just that, accumulating medals for dozens of pokemon and what not. So much fun!

I generally enjoy the mini-games, I loved the mini-games in the Dragon Quest series, I'd often spend hours doing those so I could get the Metal Slime swords and stuff.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

I don't like the Pokeathalon, but both Underground and Voltorb Flip were fun for me becuase I like puzzles.

I didn't do as much Underground, though, because it tore through my battery too fast. This was before I got one of the versions of DS that could turn wireless off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Barbarian in the Playground

In other news: Dream World, I know that I am Undead, but this does not mean I want to spend my entire time walking the frakking Spooky Mansion!!! Seriously, in the last three times I've gone on, fifty percent of all the places was the ruddy Spooky Mansion (and I recall having that problem when I was last doing it regularly) Why is it THAT particular place, dammit?!
    I'm not sure since when, but the type of Pokemon you put to sleep influences which area crops up most commonly. Putting Ice-types to sleep in my games does bring up the Icy Cave most of the time.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, Dark-Ghost-Psychic types seem to bring up Spooky Mansion. I have yet to see the Icy Cave.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Please tell me you at least competed in the Pokeathlon? I have like, around 100 hours invested in just that, accumulating medals for dozens of pokemon and what not. So much fun!
    Don't remember trying that, actually (which says either I didn't, or I tried it once and didn't think much of it). Damned if I can even remember where it was... Eh, I'll probably have another stab whenever I get there, wherever it is, in my Pearl or Platinum games. Or White, whichever the heck Gen it was even in...! (Shows how much lasting impact that had on me, don't it?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuho Tsugu View Post
    I'm not sure since when, but the type of Pokemon you put to sleep influences which area crops up most commonly. Putting Ice-types to sleep in my games does bring up the Icy Cave most of the time.

Well, FRAG.

Bulbapedia says since June 20th this year.

That explains that then, since I always have used by Purrloin (because she doesn't get out otherwise).

I guess they put that in, since there is now a wider choice of areas...

Okay then. Have to use a water-type next time (as next of my to-get lists is a DW Corphish.)

I suppose, once you know it does that, it does make it easier. Though it would have been nice for them to have told you.

On the other hand, I didn't actually read the tutorials when they popped up when I started using the DW again; I just asumed it was reset because of BW2, so I didn't actually read them, so it might have said...!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-07-14 at 04:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Troll in the Playground

Hey folks!

Would anyone happen to have a male Dratini (or its evolutions) that knows ExtremeSpeed they can trade? I don't really care about its nature or IVs, so long as it's male and knows the move. I'm pretty sure it only comes from HG/SS*, neither of which I have (). If anyone's got one, PM me and we can try to work something out!

*Specifically:
    Spoiler
    Show

After getting the Dragon Pulse TM from Clair, you can head back inside the Dragon's Den and speak to an Elder there. He asks you five questions; if you answer correctly (1: Friend or Ally; 2: Strategy; 3: Strong; 4: Love; 5: Both) you SHOULD get a Dratini that knows ExtremeSpeed. If you answer with the other options, you get just a regular Dratini.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I never even bothered to fight Red in HG, because I think all my mons were at about level 60 and there is no way I'm grinding 120 levels on Ponytas and Tangelas. Just not going to happen.

I know it annoyed a lot of people (especially Nuzlockers who grind on lower-level mons), but I loved the experience change in BW. It makes the early levels of switch-grinding so much easier, and the addition of the arenas with LOADS of daily battles in the 50s and 60s, with the XP boost by being trainer battles, plus all the money, plus gifts like PP Max, plus very easy access to the Lucky Egg - grinding was never better, in my mind.

I loved Voltorb Flip and the Pokeathlon. I don't mind minigames if they can get me stuff and I'd rather do a few round of Pokeathlon to get an evo stone than scrabble around for swirling dust for hours. Which is why I never really liked the Contests, or the Musicals (or, I assume, Pokewood). I at least need an incentive.

In other news, I need to work out whether Natu, Xatu or Munna is the best way to get Stored Power onto a Woobat, so that I can get a Simple Calm Mind Stored Power Swoobat to destory the world with.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    Hey folks!

Would anyone happen to have a male Dratini (or its evolutions) that knows ExtremeSpeed they can trade? I don't really care about its nature or IVs, so long as it's male and knows the move. I'm pretty sure it only comes from HG/SS*, neither of which I have (). If anyone's got one, PM me and we can try to work something out!

*Specifically:
    Spoiler
    Show

After getting the Dragon Pulse TM from Clair, you can head back inside the Dragon's Den and speak to an Elder there. He asks you five questions; if you answer correctly (1: Friend or Ally; 2: Strategy; 3: Strong; 4: Love; 5: Both) you SHOULD get a Dratini that knows ExtremeSpeed. If you answer with the other options, you get just a regular Dratini.
    I have a half-dozen from my Dratini breeding program. Also a few females, if you want to spread Marvel Scale around, too.

Also, new thread.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-07-14 at 01:06 PM.