New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Geek Reality TV Show

Granted, as if 'From the Masterminds behind Jersey Shore" wasn't enough of a warning, this just sounds like a horrible idea. But I already said it's a reality show, so I guess I repeat myself.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/12/..._one_is_st.php

I wonder just how much further back this will set the nerd stereotype?

‎"For this next challenge you have to start and maintain a conversation with a girl for five whole minutes... all without mentioning science fiction."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Geek Reality TV Show

Hey, that's easy. I can talk about heroic fantasy for hours.
    The last crazy minstrel.
    Creature avatar by The Giant.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    At GITP, we don't just bite down on bait-hooks, we chew them thoroughly until the insides of our mouths are full of broken teeth, flesh-ribbons, and blood.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If it wasn't for the video audition I might do it, though I'm probably not geeky enough.
    I only get most of references in Big Bang (not all).

I wouldn't mind being on a reality tv show though (only because I've never been).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Honestly? if they are the Jersey Shore people they'll probably take the Big Brother approach and find the eight most aggressive, dysfunctional people they can find, then look them up in a house for several weeks. Probably make sure they are fat, acne-ridden and bespectacled as well.

So, since we all know that, let's talk about more challenges.

"For the next challenge, we have taken a light sabre used on the set of The Empire Strikes back, signed by George Lucas and placed it in this basin of oil. Four of our contestants will try to get it simultaneously."
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-12-23 at 05:08 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, you don't want to be on this show. Seems the only point to it is to mercilessly mock nerds and geeks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

And here I thought the reality tv bs vomit stuff was finally coming to an (deserved) end next year

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerask View Post
    And here I thought the reality tv bs vomit stuff was finally coming to an (deserved) end next year
    Whatever gave you that (admittedly glorious) idea?
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    If it wasn't for the video audition I might do it, though I'm probably not geeky enough.
    I only get most of references in Big Bang (not all).
    You wouldn't have a chance, only the trolliest of trolls or the most comically socially inept nerds would have a shot at getting on that show. You know, because that's all nerds are.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm how out of touch with geek culture will this be every one:

No Trek but TOS?

No other SF but Trek and the Lucas ****stable? (Frak it all just look at their recruiting add)

No fantasy not penned by Tolkien or Rowling?

All comics are from the Silver Age?

Stan Lee will appear to be an attention whore receive his "clearly deserved" worship and prove the show's geek cred?

No other SF but Trek and the Lucas ****stable?

"lol" is an example of hip internet culture?

No memes or anything even close to imageboard culture?

Ponies do not exist?

Cosplaying will consist only of the hot girl in Pricess Leia's bikini and someone as a Stormtrooper and Vader?

Anime will be naughty tentacles, or seizure causing robots?

Anime does not exist?

Fanfiction, fanart, do not exist?

MMOs other then WoW do not exist?

RPGs other than D&D do not exist?

D&D does not exist?

Though I suspect they will at least subvert the expectation that all geeks are fat white males that live in mommy's basement. Because heaven forbid unattractive people be acknowledged as existing. I can feel the anvils being dropped on my already there, can't you?

So you can have a carefully crafted cast of mostly white reasonably attractive males plus several females including the girl picked for no other reason then because she can pull off Leia's bikini. But of course can't challenge the ignorant too much so they will find a real life Sheldon clone somewhere out there.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2011-12-23 at 07:07 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

This opportunity is being underrated, I feel. At least, I imagine it is, in that it pays more than whatever "real" job I'd get fresh out of school. I mean, look at the job market out there. I'd rather squander my talents on being the butt of televised jokes than punching cards at whatever nine-to-five black hole of misery and ennui awaits me as a "real job."

P.S. This post is sorta joking.
    Serpent's Skull: Cateline Corbin

Caravan in the Sky: Dest Yonsson

Awesome Ancient Mariner avatar courtesy of Kid Kris

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post

Ponies exist?
    D&D exist?
    (edit your choices)
    Be funny if these turn out to be what the geeks believe in.

I'd be happy if we had more Bronies in the herd. Better if they D&D playing Bronies on reality TV.
    I'd laugh hard if one of them says, "this needs to be about 20% cooler."

Quote Originally Posted by Vacant View Post
    This opportunity is being underrated, I feel. At least, I imagine it is, in that it pays more than whatever "real" job I'd get fresh out of school. I mean, look at the job market out there. I'd rather squander my talents on being the butt of televised jokes than punching cards at whatever nine-to-five black hole of misery and ennui awaits me as a "real job."

P.S. This post is sorta joking.
    In this economy, you are lucky to get one of 9-5 jobs, I only got part time at Dairy Queen at moment.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

(edit your choices)
    Be funny if these turn out to be what the geeks believe in.

I'd be happy if we had more Bronies in the herd. Better if they D&D playing Bronies on reality TV.
    I'd laugh hard if one of them says, "this needs to be about 20% cooler."
    If they had even one brony on the show every pony would stampede to watch it. Stream it online and it would be a major ratings bump for the show. And truly the idea is of geek reality TV is not so bad. I for one welcome any vector to spread the glory of ponies.

By the same token though the far more likely lack of cute brightly colored ponies will only show how stereotypical and out of touch the show is.

(On a side note why'd you change Starbuck's gender there? )
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2011-12-24 at 12:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Granted, as if 'From the Masterminds behind Jersey Shore" wasn't enough of a warning, this just sounds like a horrible idea. But I already said it's a reality show, so I guess I repeat myself.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/12/..._one_is_st.php

I wonder just how much further back this will set the nerd stereotype?

‎"For this next challenge you have to start and maintain a conversation with a girl for five whole minutes... all without mentioning science fiction."
    You know, when I first read the thread title, I was a little excited. Yeah, most* reality shows are bad, but hey, it's geek culture. How can you go wrong? If they're real geeks, at least the characters will be relatable for me. But if it's not made by people who know geek culture - Joss Whedon, Felicia Day, Sandeep Parikh - it's gonna be bad.

Plus PEOPLE WHO MADE THE JERSEY SHORE! You get out of here right now! You already ruined the reputation of my home state! You're not ruining the image of my social clique! I'll summon Peter Jackson, Joss Whedon, and 1977 George Lucas to kick you butts!

*By most I mean all**

**Okay, I don't really watch reality shows, but none of them actually look good enough to spend time watching and it's unreal situations and over-hyped drama.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

By the same token though the far more likely lack of cute brightly colored ponies will only show how stereotypical and out of touch the show is.
    True. What if they get 4Chaner? I mean, I've never been but I think they are real.
    Original Battlestar Galactica Starbuck 4ever

15. - Top - End - #15
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If they had even one brony on the show every pony would stampede to watch it. Stream it online and it would be a major ratings bump for the show. And truly the idea is of geek reality TV is not so bad. I for one welcome any vector to spread the glory of ponies.

Yeah, but by Jersey Shore logic, any brony who liked MLP would have to obviously be gay, and that'd become the sole defining aspect of the character after the third episode. Not sure if that'd end up being more offensive to bronies or gay people.

16. - Top - End - #16

Yeah, I'ld really rather this show didn't get into the Bronie thing. Even among fandom as a whole I still consider it to be rather obscure/a passing fad/an inside joke, throw it in the general public's face and there will just be a ridiculous about of misinterpretation.
    Not that rampant misinterpretations will be abound as is, part of me thinks that damage control should be more a concern then getting in a few laughs.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2011-12-24 at 01:33 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Im thinking a collection of numa numa dancing boys, steve urkels, av room jedi knights, and WoW cartman style players will be involved. D&D was nerdy back in the 80s, obviously it doesnt still exist as hip nerd culture. Everquest, DAoC, Ultima Online, are all way too niche to get the understanding nod from mystified non nerds who watch the show, cant make fun of computer nerds, because computers arent pure nerd territory anymore. Every teenage boy and girl plays on the computer in this day and age. Gotta level up my farmville game demmit! They dont want the smart nerds so reading nerds arent part of it. They arent antisocial enough to blend in properly.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought this was going to be about The Secret Stash, a reality show that AMC's making that takes place in a comic book store.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Already done here in israel.
    X pairs of a 'Nerd' and a 'hot chick' shoved in a villa.
    Chicks need to do brain stuff while Nerds try to do 'manly' stuff.
    Hilarity ensues.
    Despite everything, its still me.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Whatever happened to "Twilight IN ISRAEL"?
    "Start slackin' off a little, then you slack off a little more, and next thing you know, you've turned all lazy and flabby"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

True. What if they get 4Chaner? I mean, I've never been but I think they are real.
    I tend to think no /b/tard or Anon could stomach going on the show unless maybe he could wear his Guy Fawkes mask... as a /b/tard. An epic trolling opportunity by lying to the producers though well I'd not be suprised.

(Though I doubt the Guy Fawkes thing would make it past the producers, can't correct the delusion that Anonymous is a "group" according to respectable mainstream media and all)
    Original Battlestar Galactica Starbuck 4ever
    Everyone old school BSG was way to frakking nice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Yeah, but by Jersey Shore logic, any brony who liked MLP would have to obviously be gay, and that'd become the sole defining aspect of the character after the third episode. Not sure if that'd end up being more offensive to bronies or gay people.
    Yeah but they'll have a harder time finding one flamboyant enough for television then finding the girl for Leia's bikini. We might get lucky

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Yeah, I'ld really rather this show didn't get into the Bronie thing. Even among fandom as a whole I still consider it to be rather obscure/a passing fad/an inside joke, throw it in the general public's face and there will just be a ridiculous about of misinterpretation.
    Not that rampant misinterpretations will be abound as is, part of me thinks that damage control should be more a concern then getting in a few laughs.
    Ponies are forever.

And I brought it up more to make a point about current geek culture, no other show has garned that sort of unexpected viral fame and devoted following since... Firefly maybe now a decade back? So including it would be one way to actually be relevant to where geekdom is now.

As opposed to you know retreading jokes that have been stale longer then most geeks have been alive.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Already done here in israel.
    X pairs of a 'Nerd' and a 'hot chick' shoved in a villa.
    Chicks need to do brain stuff while Nerds try to do 'manly' stuff.
    Hilarity ensues.
    That's a localized adaptation of Beauty and the Geek, though the Israeli version offers more extreme versions of both than the American. Where the American features idiotic beauties, the israeli one features the mentally disables. The American has 30 year old virgins, the Israeli ones have people with such an extreme lack of social skills it's a wonder they haven't been crucified. Mostly because the entire thing is staged and made more extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    Whatever happened to "Twilight IN ISRAEL"?
    I don't know about this... there's a teen show called "Chatsuya (Torn in half, or split, no perfect translation for it)" about vampires, but I don't know if they sparkle. It has an awesome ad airing for it the past month though, that makes me kind of want to watch it despite the fact that it's vampire trash.
    Last edited by pita; 2011-12-24 at 07:58 PM.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Redditor is more likely than /b/tard, and probably more entertaining...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pita View Post
    I don't know about this... there's a teen show called "Chatsuya (Torn in half, or split, no perfect translation for it)" about vampires, but I don't know if they sparkle. It has an awesome ad airing for it the past month though, that makes me kind of want to watch it despite the fact that it's vampire trash.
    What about it exactly makes you think it's "vampire trash"? You seem to indicate you don't know much about it (e.g. saying you don't know if the vampires sparkle) and admit the ad makes it look good, so I'm a little confused as to why/how you're pre-judging it in this manner.

25. - Top - End - #25

Teen girls squeeing, ads before the latest ones (Which look incredibly stupid), and the fact that the production company is the kid's channel, which, with the exception of a sitcom ten years ago,has produced nothing I've ever had any intention of ever seeing. The newest ads simply feature the actors in a party being interviewed, and then murdered. SUPERNATURALLY!
    But I'll admit perfectly well that I know a little bit less about it than I do Twilight, which means only by reputation and sibling osmosis. If it turns out to actually be something good, I'll be first to say here. As far as Israeli TV goes, my current favorite is a mafia series, but pretty soon I'm losing all of my free time so I'm not even really watching that. I can't think of any other Israeli production that matches an "Israeli Twilight" label.
    Ceika is a beautiful, wonderful person. The avatar was made by his/her great talent, and depending on his/her sex and sexuality, I either have a giant crush or a totally appropriate liking for him/her.

26. - Top - End - #26

Is there an israeli mafia? I mean, we all hear about russian mafias, italian mafias, even triads and yakuza and such. Just wondering if there is a similar sort of organized crime in israel. I mean, im not sure how well protection rackets would work on a nation where almost everyone of age is a trained soldier/former soldier. (Im assuming since ive read the israeli military works off conscription)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Is there an israeli mafia? I mean, we all hear about russian mafias, italian mafias, even triads and yakuza and such. Just wondering if there is a similar sort of organized crime in israel. I mean, im not sure how well protection rackets would work on a nation where almost everyone of age is a trained soldier/former soldier. (Im assuming since ive read the israeli military works off conscription)
    I know there used to be Jewish organized crime in NY City in the early/, though that was pre or just after Israel's formation, so I'm almost certain there was no connection there. Dunno if a similar thing formed in Israel, not up on the Israeli criminal element.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Ponies are forever.

And I brought it up more to make a point about current geek culture, no other show has garned that sort of unexpected viral fame and devoted following since... Firefly maybe now a decade back? So including it would be one way to actually be relevant to where geekdom is now.

As opposed to you know retreading jokes that have been stale longer then most geeks have been alive.
    If geeks make a coordinated enough effort(and by that I mean get /b/ or bronies in on it), they could gather together to find 8 people who look and act totally stereotypical, and upon the pilot they'd throw the act out the window and start talking about nothing but ponies and super-obscure anime.
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-12-25 at 01:23 AM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darthteej View Post
    If geeks make a coordinated enough effort(and by that I mean get /b/ or bronies in on it), they could gather together to find 8 people who look and act totally stereotypical, and upon the pilot they'd throw the act out the window and start talking about nothing but ponies and super-obscure anime.
    I think this format is appropriate given the subject matter:
    >2011
    >/b/ getting organized
    georgecostanza.jpg

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    I think this format is appropriate given the subject matter:
    >2011
    >/b/ getting organized
    georgecostanza.jpg

...I've been off the internet too long, I don't get it.

EDIT: Know Your Meme.
    Last edited by Darthteej; 2011-12-25 at 02:52 AM.
    Sup ho.

Avatar by the profilic kaptainkrutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Really, getting mad at a story for using tropes is about as sane as getting mad at the book it's printed in for using atoms.