New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Favorite Character/Lines?

I'm tired, so if in my initial glance at this section I missed a similar thread, I'm sorry, and would appreciate a link. But for now I assume there isn't one, because I didn't see it.

So who are your favorite characters? (We all know that you have more than one ) Favorite lines from the strip?

I really like Tarquin, and especially like his Who do you consider a "somebody" line.

I think the reason I like Tarquin can simply be described as "It's Tarquin" and readers will understand what I mean, but I'll give it a shot:

He's everything Elan is, but competent and evil. His nonchalance about his evil and his flagrant shoving of it in everyone's faces with impunity is just so...awesome.

Other than Tarquin, my favorite characters are Belkar (stabbing people is funny), Elan (Roy has boobies!) and the Oracle. Seriously wish the Oracle had more screentime, s/he's just that hilarious.

I'm eager to see what everyone else likes though.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Favorite Character/Lines?

my favorite characters are Vaarsuvius and Redcloak, neither particulary heroic, but they got things going for them;

Vaarsuvius arrogance, coupled with his sarcasm, and yet. He cares for others, even though he doesn't really know how to show that to others, and goes to great lenghts for them. And he will in the end sacrifice that he loves for himself, for the greater good (the dessert scene with the divorce papers)

Redcloak is a more tragic villain, one of the few times I find myself rooting for the villain to achieve his goal (if he gets redeemed in the proces, all the better to me :) ). I mean, why wouldn't goblinoids be treated as equals? Kobolds and Orcs seem fair game, what's wrong with goblins then? It's just his methods are slightly (a lot actually) off.

As for favorite line: As the size of an explosion increases, the number of situations it is incapable to resolve approaches zero {whisper whisper} and that would be wrong

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Man, I was about to start a favorite character thread. You done beat me to it. I'm really intrigued as to WHY the character is a favorite, as well.

Also, O-Chul, by far. He's the embodiment of all that is good and right in the OotS world. He is an incorruptible, infallible force of nature, largely due to his unbelievable strength of will. He has the wisdom to recognize what must be done, and the strength and will to follow through, regardless of what it is. I'm really intrigued to see how he'll function later on in the story, now that he is free to do much more than simply endure Xykon's torture, waiting for the opportunity to hurt him. O-Chul has also a huge amount to aid in the fight, with his listing nearly all of Xykon's spells and educated guesses as to his feats, as well as getting the phylactery lost and shaking Xykon to his core...more than any of the PCs or other major characters have been able to do, and he was locked up at the time! Also, his growing relationship with the MitD really added a lot more character development than I really expected for as short a stint as he appeared
    Last edited by Peelee; 2011-12-02 at 01:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Wow, you guys put forth some very well-presented reasons. I'm impressed! Peelee, in particular, you gave me a lot to think about when it came to O-Chul.

I guess I'll explain a bit more about why I like Elan then. Elan is, in my opinion, one of the two characters in the OotS team to receive the absolute most character development (Haley being the other). Varsuuvius and Roy have both had a lot of development, and Belkar faked it, but Elan's really trumps everything.

For starters, he has learned the value of a life, and of being prepared, thanks to Therkla's death. He has changed from being a goofy sidekick to a respectable fighter with something to protect (Haley). And at the same time, thanks to his Dashing Swordsman prestige class, Elan has kept his hilarious comic relief position while still gaining a very respectful place in the party's melee line.

Ever since Elan met Tarquin, he has had plenty of scenes where the inherent Good and hero inside him has shown through. And even then, he STILL is the Elan we knew and loved from the beginning at heart ("Celestial Tree Sloth, attack!")

Elan is simultaneously amusing and heroic, and of course all the bardic trope speak is good for a 4th-wall smashing laugh.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    I really like Tarquin, and especially like his Who do you consider a "somebody" line.
    At this point, who DOESN'T like Tarquin? The men want to be him, the women want to be WITH him, the lizard folk....ok, I have no idea where to go with that...

I was thinking that Lord Shojo was kinda like Tarquin's goodly counterpart, but he got his kingdom via inheritance, instead of having to forge it himself with blood, sweat, blood, magic firebolts, blood, and sheer force of will....and blood.
    Plus, like Haley pointed out, how hard is it to fool a group of paladins.

I think that my favorite character at the moment is some one we haven't seen in quite a while: Lord Hinjo! (Shojo's nephew, in case you forgot, it HAS been a while)
    He's been cast into the role of leader of a people-in-exile, is keeping the nobles under control and the people from breaking out into rebellion, while organizing elvish raiders to fight for Azure city. All this with with literally the most restrictive alignment and class features in all of Core, while managing to NOT go insane or become Miyo Mihazaki.

He doesn't get quite as many snarky one-liners as other characters, but I can think of no one else in the comic who even comes close to matching his loyalty, dedication, and most importantly, competence.

Re: character development
    and Belkar faked it,
    I think the point of some of the more recent strips was that the longer Belkar pretends to have character development, the more it starts to become an integral part of his character (using that in both senses of the word). That could just be my interpretation though.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2011-12-02 at 02:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.
    Homebrew Extended Signature!

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Deepbluediver View Post

He doesn't get quite as many snarky one-liners as other characters, but I can think of no one else in the comic who even comes close to matching his loyalty, dedication, and most importantly, competence.
    So what about O-Chul? Do you think that Hinjo is more loyal, dedicated, and competent than O-Chul, or do you like O-Chul for the same reasons you like Hinjo, just not as much?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

So what about O-Chul? Do you think that Hinjo is more loyal, dedicated, and competent than O-Chul, or do you like O-Chul for the same reasons you like Hinjo, just not as much?
    O-Chul is a great paladin, obviously a competent warrior, and so tough he makes nails seem soft, but Hinjo is all that plus a bag of chips...whoops, I meant "leader of a cities-worth of people".

My whole point is, being the effective monarch isn't an easy task; Tarquin has shown that and he's dedicated mostly to evil. Hinjo may not have as much adventuring credit, but he's doing everything he can to help the OotS, while still caring for thousands of people. Yeah saving the world is a big deal, but you can't let everthing else go to hell while you stop the Big Bad.
    Hinjo COULD probably do everything the OotS is working to accomplish (adventuring wise, I don't mean pick locks) but how many of them could rule his city? And work out diplomacy with all the other nations? And adhere to a paladins code of honor?

Now, I'll admit we haven't seem him for a while, maybe he's mucking everything up royally, but until I hear otherwise, I'm assuming he's doing a fine job.
    It's not called common because the sense is common, it's called common because it's about common things.

8. - Top - End - #8

I admit that the Code of Conduct for a paladin, as well as attempting to rule over a nation by yourself when you have people scheming and sending teenage half-orc ninja girls after you is probably just as difficult as attempting to stop a lich sorcerer from taking over the world.

Hinjo is a fine character, and the fact that he has a dire wolf as a special mount adds to his style (certainly better than a heavy warhorse)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Sadly, I'm probably going to have to go with V. Fussy, pedantic, erudite, death-dealing, and yet not without the occasional flash of ironic humor. And, he's often rather concerned for other people, even though it isn't officially recognized in the comic.

My second favorite is probably Durkon, because he seems dependable, tough, but still manages to be a bit more compassionate than the others often seem.

Favorite quote -- that's a hard one, though it's probably a toss-up between the famous "Thog help Nale nail Not-Nale" speech, and some of V's lines:

"I believe I may owe the tables of the world an apology..."
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2011-12-02 at 02:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

10. - Top - End - #10

Lawful Good is represented well by several characters in this comic, and each has their own take on it. O-Chul is the warrior, willing to go through hell for his cause, but obedient to his superiors, whom he has full faith and trust in. Hinjo is the leader, who has to make hard decisions, and is subservient to his people, as true leaders should be. It's a very stark contrast between the two, despite their being the same alignment (and thus, easily being lumped in as being played the same, boring way by most people). Compare both of these to Durkon, for example, another Lawful Good character - but a PC this time - and you come out with another completely different take on the same virtues being espoused (loyalty, dedication, competency). I think that may be why he likes Hinjo so much (and if I'm speaking out of turn for you here, I apologize) - because he makes the choices that others can't, the same ones Shojo made, but without straying from his Paladinhood and turning into Shojo. He is still completely loyal to his people, and acting as a true leader, which is all too rare.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I admit that the Code of Conduct for a paladin, as well as attempting to rule over a nation by yourself when you have people scheming and sending teenage half-orc ninja girls after you is probably just as difficult as attempting to stop a lich sorcerer from taking over the world.

Hinjo is a fine character, and the fact that he has a dire wolf as a special mount adds to his style (certainly better than a heavy warhorse)

I totally forgot about the wolf! A mount that awesome should require some obscure prestige glass, or at very least a feat :P

In your original post, you simply asked who our favorite characters are; my preference for one paladin over another does not invalidate your choic. I had actually not even thought about O-Chul before your post; for whatever reason he didn't stick in my mind as much as Hinjo. That probably says something about the kind of character we are both attracted to. (not that I have any idea what that might be)

One more thing about Hinjo; of all the paladins, he seems to be the most FRIENDLY, especially when he is not responsible for maintaining the dignity of his position.
    My favorite fantasy novel (ever, of all time) makes it an important plot point that while many people might be strong warriors or good defenders of the faith, paladins are supposed to be leaders, showing others what is possible and inspiring hope and courage. Thats not exactly the D&D description, but its colored my perception of them ever since, and Hinjo seems to fit that model most closely. (and also why I get unusually defensive about lawful-good's reputation as an alignment; I loved the carp out of that entire arc)

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think that may be why he likes Hinjo so much (and if I'm speaking out of turn for you here, I apologize) - because he makes the choices that others can't, the same ones Shojo made, but without straying from his Paladinhood and turning into Shojo. He is still completely loyal to his people, and acting as a true leader, which is all too rare.
    Thats pretty much it, entirely.
    Last edited by Deepbluediver; 2011-12-02 at 03:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

My favorite character is Miko. /flinch

Mostly for the fact that she's a well written, complicated character. She kind of showed that reasons for doing good or doing anything are more complicated than they are often made out to be. I loved the whole falling sequence, watching her numerous mistakes and flaws unravel around her only for her to concoct a greater lie to try to keep her sanity. And I'm surprisingly ok with the author's decision to keep her dead and leave her story unresolved.

A close second would be Redcloak. I think a few posts back someone said something about him wanting the right things and using the wrong means to get it. I kind of agree with that, but actually don't have much of a problem with his means, at least the idea of using the Snarl. The only thing I'd do differently is rethink my alliance with Xykon, because that seems like it will backfire spectacularly soon.

I also think the final scenes between O'Chul and MitD were very nice. It was interesting to see the character developement. I think my favorite line is "O'Chul!" after so many strips of "Mr. Stiffly".

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Diputs View Post
    I also think the final scenes between O'Chul and MitD were very nice. It was interesting to see the character developement. I think my favorite line is "O'Chul!" after so many strips of "Mr. Stiffly".
    Diputs made me realize I never put in my favorite line. Funny enough, it's from the same strip that his was, at that.

O-Chul: You may not know exactly what you are--but I do.
    : You do? Really? Then what am I?
    O-Chul: A good man

A lot like Diputs says, it is heavy on the character developing. It kicks off the redemption for Darth V - if O-Chul hadn't gone to fight alongside him, V would likely have learned the wrong lesson from his hubris - it teases the shark in a way, having drama and poignancy slowly build up before being fully unleashed in the 's "O-CHUL!" call, and it looks to me like it lays the start of the groundwork for a torn allegiance in the later on. The friendship between the two seems like a hugely important plot piece that will have huge payoffs near the end of the story. Among other reasons.

Really, that is my favorite strip in the entire series to date, for those same reasons. It's a powerful good-bye between O-Chul and the , with the tension constantly building you know Vaarsuvius will be getting reinforcements. It's the setup for the pure epicness that follows over the next 7 strips, and the start of O-Chul cashing in on his patience and endurance from being tortured for months, and not getting to strike back in vengeance or retribution, but to do real, lasting damage to Team Evil, to do everything he could to destroy Xykon or even do what he could to make it easier for others to take him down, his own life being immaterial to the larger goal at hand. It really hammers home why O-Chul is my favorite character, and the course of events between it and the escape make the a very close second.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2011-12-02 at 05:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Elan is my favorite character, but these are my favorite lines

Tarquin: "But you can't make an omlette without ruthlessly crushing a dozen eggs beneath your steel boot, and then publicly disembowling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others."

and

Vaarsuvius: "... My sanity demands that I not engage that statement."
    Also, the explosion radius increasing: social situations solved quote, but someone already said that.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Augusta View Post
    Elan is my favorite character
    But why?!? Reasons! What makes him stick out to you more than anyone else? What about him appeals to you?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    But why?!? Reasons! What makes him stick out to you more than anyone else? What about him appeals to you?
    I would just like to say that this is probably the only time on the entire GitP forum that someone has asked "What makes Elan stick out?"
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-12-02 at 05:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Gotta go with O-Chul, then Elan, then Belkar

O-Chul is honor incarnated. He goes to his death without question or hesitation, not once, not twice, but at least 4 times. He is willing and able to endure any hardship in order to protect what he believes is right. He lives through almost half a year of torture and retains his sanity. He adheres perfectly to the paladin code, but does not let it blind him to the world. He befriends the Monster in the Darkness despite the general paladin belife that monsters are evil, he attempts to lie to Redcloak in order to protect the people he cares about despite being lawful, because he understands that protecting them by any means, even acting against his own alignment, is his duty. O-Chul is the rock that weathers all storms and takes constant punishment but never gives its ground.

Elan, goofy, and not very bright. He still knows how to live his life. He constantly does whats right reguardless of the consequences, he doesn't understand consequences, only what's right. He is both a serious, well developed charecter, and a pile of comedy gold.

Belkar, What can I say but
    "I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!"
    Warning!! This poster makes frequent use of Sarcasm, Jokes, and Exaggeration. He intends no offense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

I GOT A 4!
    Last edited by Dr.Epic; 2011-12-02 at 05:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    I GOT A 4!
    No I got a 9 this time! See, the shoes add +5 to the check, so that makes it a 9!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Actually, i have to say my favorite character is MiTD. He's a villain, sure, but he's not evil. He only helps Xykon because he doesn't know any better. He' so powerful, but he's like a child. Also, I've enjoyed his developing bond with O-Chul. I think he has the potential to become a hero in a climactic scene where O-Chul appeals to his better nature while Xykon yells at him to obey. Maybe he and Redcloak can both turn on Xykon together.

I do like Belkar too, though. You can't argue with a sexy shoeless god of war.

My favorite line: Paladin: Remember, she has Belkar to protect her
    Elan: Let me go! I need to save my Haley!
    Belkar: I cannae let you do it, lad!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

:I may be in error, but I believe the appropriate proclamation is "sneak attack, bitch."
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

22. - Top - End - #22

Brainy Pete: "*sigh* I shoulda listened to Appendix Steve when he tried to warn me."

Great quote. But also Zz'dtri, Shklee is like V but Evil(er). Also I like how this shows shklim being able to say just the right thing to take away V's feeling of victory.
    Kobold Bond By araveugnitsuga!

Other Rotation Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other Bond by araveugnitsuga
    Spoiler
    Show

Halloween Avatars By Flumphy
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Favorite party member: Durkon, lads.
    Favorite bad guy: Redcloak.
    Favorite secondary (tertiary?) character: Hank. You remember Hank, don't you?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Is this it?

Yes, it is...
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    Favorite party member: Durkon, lads.
    Favorite bad guy: Redcloak.
    Favorite secondary (tertiary?) character: Hank. You remember Hank, don't you?
    What do you like most about Redcloak? (Please, no SoD spoilers unless they're in a spoiler tag, I haven't read it. )

26. - Top - End - #26

What do you like most about Redcloak? (Please, no SoD spoilers unless they're in a spoiler tag, I haven't read it. )
    I doubt very much that it's possible for anyone who has read it to answer that question without referencing it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

No I got a 9 this time! See, the shoes add +5 to the check, so that makes it a 9!
    Then he obviously wasn't wearing them then was he? Or he rolled a 1 and added the 3 to that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I think I started to like Redcloak after strip 543. Something about him trying to actually get s**t together and DO something useful as opposed to Xykon just kicking back and relaxing.

Now that I think of it, it's the same thing I like about Durkon and Hank, they're both useful and dependable. Well, Durkon has his phobia of trees, but hey, nobody's perfect. Hank is just the coolest guy in the Thieves' Guild.
    "... Legal pad." Priceless.
    Last edited by Agnostik; 2011-12-31 at 04:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Hinjo when he said: "You're obviously not aware of one of our class abilities, Summon Conscience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

My favorite character would have to be Xykon. I think Tarquin and Redcloak deserve an honorable mention though. He is 100% pure Evil with a capital E. He is funny. He is a bad-ass. He knows how to handle poweer. But most importantly, he knows that when he has a chance of losing, he will drop his shenanigans and go all out with no mercy at all. He is smart because he knows when he can joke around and win half-assed, and he knows when he actually needs to try.

My favorite lines would have to be his speech to Durokan in SOD. He basically proves that he isn't the dumbass that people see him as and that he actually knows his stuff pretty well.

MAXIMIZED Energy Drain, dumbass