Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Something's Rotten Here - IC

The doors suddenly burst open. In comes two adventurers supporting/carrying a third between them. You watch as they carry him up the stairs to their room, grim frowns upon their faces. The third man looks stable, but he's clearly out of it.

The tavern master rushes up after them, and comes out a little later, shaking his head at the foolishness of some people.

He turns to the nine of you in the common room. Nods at the bar. "Anyone tries to take or break anything in here, Caries put a spell up, so we can find who it was, you may lay to that." With that he rushes out the door.

Conveniently, you have all already settled your tabs.

(For anyone who wanted to do something when the wounded man was carried inside, uh... well, you decided to wait and see what happened for a moment, the man not looking like he was dying and all.)

People may now act as they wish. You are the only nine people in the room, and it's fairly early in the day.
    Throw the dice high.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Something's Rotten Here - IC

Gnome:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is the floor wood or stone? If stone, Terra is below me in the ground, otherwise in the rock walls or outside.

Refledge moves to whoever is closest to him,"Looks like they weren't properly prepared, that's why I'm stocking up on supplies here in town. Still, you have to respect anyone who tries to live the life of an adventurer."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

3. - Top - End - #3

Planetar

Alauniira'a
    Until the injured adventurer came through, Alauniira'a had been working.

She danced in taverns and halls to pay her bills while travelling, and tonight had been no different. Food, drink, and a room to trance in, and she danced for the patrons in the taproom in trade. A space had been cleared along the wall furthest from the bar for her to use as a 'stage', and her belongings (such as they were) were piled at one corner of the empty space.

OOC: If anyone wants to discuss their character's response to the scantily-clad drow dancing, PM me. It shouldn't have much of an effect on the course of the game, but it can make a huge difference as to who Alauniira'a befriends and how quickly. Obviously tippers get off to a better start than anyone who cries 'Abomination!' ;)

Once the Tavern Master rushed out, Alauniira's dance slowly ground to a halt. She thought the audience's minds would be on something other than the pleasures of the flesh right now... and since she was thinking of joining an adventuring troupe to look in the caves, she knew her heart certainly wasn't in her dancing right now.

Instead, she cleared her throat, and tried addressing the other 8 people. "Who...", she began in undercommon. There was a short, embaressed pause before she switched to common. "Who is thinking of exploring the cave they found near here?" she opened. Not the most interesting of conversational gambits, but then she was not used to making small talk with nominal equals like this...

4. - Top - End - #4

Refledge moves over to the Drow, ammused at her blunt question,"You don't seem like the adventuring type lass. I'm Refledge, and I suppose you would have a name in common?"
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Jarvik has been nursing a single drink in silence, not out any lack of sociability, but as his daily meditation on the stillness and patience of Chronesis the Watcher. As the adventurer is brought into the tavern and pulled upstairs, he decides that now is the time for action, and rises from his seat.

Oh, yes, indeed, he says, nodding to the dwarf, it's a tough life out there, and it's certainly a noble pursuit.

He turns to the dancer after her question. Oh, we'll I'd heard of it, but it looks awwwfully dangerous. I'd hate to be roughed up like him," he adds, jerking a thumb towards the stairs.
    Last edited by Really?; 2011-12-26 at 06:06 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Elyabeth, Cleric of Pelor

Elyzabeth stood up from the bar, nodding at the Drow and Dwarf.

That's why I'm here, actually. But hold that thought.

Idly playing with the holy symbol around her neck, she moved up the stairs and knocked on the adventurers' door. After a small sigh and a deep breath, she spoke through the door.

Excuse me. As a Cleric-of-the-Church-of-Pelor, I am obliged to provide aid and succor to those in need. Are you in need of healing?

The words came out a little flat and slightly rushed, as though she had said them a thousand times before. And indeed, she had. Despite two years away from the Church proper, Elyzabeth had never bothered to break the habit of using the salutem propriam - although she had shortened it considerably.

I am compelled to bring warmth and light to those in the darkness. I am called to give protection to those who cannot protect themselves. Etc., etc. It could be worse, she mused - the senior clerics had about five minutes worth of obligations to list, if they ever bothered to do it properly.

They never did.
    Last edited by Hashmir; 2011-12-26 at 06:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Relfedge strokes his beard and stands up, "Ah yes, a healer, a good thing we mortals have been blessed with them. Life is a cruel mistriss."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

The tavern master rushes up after them, and comes out a little later, shaking his head at the foolishness of some people.

He turns to the nine of you in the common room. Nods at the bar. "Anyone tries to take or break anything in here, Caries put a spell up, so we can find who it was, you may lay to that." With that he rushes out the door.
    With a quick swig, Horatio finished the last of his ale. Better than I'd expected out of a little town like this, he thought to himself as he pushed away from the bar, but still not good. As the bartender closed the door, Horatio stood and climbed the stairs, moving slowly and heavily enough to ensure that those at the top could hear him coming. As he reached the top of the stairs, a woman's voice called up behind him, first in a language Horatio had never heard, and then in common:

"Who is thinking of exploring the cave they found near here?"
    Horatio would have to hurry. If I wish to complete my mission, I may have to sign on to whatever group she forms.

As he reached the top of the stairs, coming just behind the cleric, Horatio paused momentarily to clear the way for the servant of Pelor, then to follow behind her. As she turned back, Horatio shrugged and turned up one cheek into a lopsided grin. "I guess we had the same idea."
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2011-12-26 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Squaring my post with previous posts

9. - Top - End - #9

Refledge chuckles in ammusement. The young are always in a hurry, that man wasn't even in any danger. But it is nice to know that they rush to do good.

He decided to head up to help, but takes his time so that he doesn't get in the way of all the commotion. On his way up he adresses the remaining five, "Now don't the rest of you all jump up and help, we're probably already going to crowd the boy with too many strangers."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

10. - Top - End - #10

Madara:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The floor is wood. You can have your companion in the wall if you so wish. If it paid attention, it would have noticed the tavern master heading off toward the center of the little village.

One of the adventurers pulls open the door and steps to the side.

"Pardon miss, thank you miss." His eyes examine Elyzabeth skeptically for a moment (perhaps due to her youth), but then smiles. "My brother Ron," he says, apologetically, "got taken a bite out of him by one of them damn goblins." He waves his arm weakly in the direction of the bed. There are a few wounds on the injured man that look like they could have come from arrows, but there's also a large damp red spot on his thigh, where it looks like he may indeed have been bitten by something goblin sized.

The two standing men both look a little roughed up, but probably nothing a day's rest wouldn't take care of.
    Throw the dice high.

11. - Top - End - #11

Planetar

Alauniira'a
    "Common name? Technically no, but...." A rather anxious explanation is summarily cut off by the questioner wandering out of the room.

Quietly, she mutters "Of course, tending the human is the overlanders' priority."

Briefly, the notion of going off and having an artful little sulk crosses her mind, but it is dismissed for several reasons. Not least of which is that not everyone had run upstairs to see the injured boy. So instead of sulking, she replied to the ones who remained.

"I would hate to end up roughed up as well." Because it would make a beggar of me in an instant. Hard to dance when you're crippled. Still, if there is treasure down there, that money could keep me fed for months. It's hard to lay in stores for the future when you're working for little more than travelling costs. "Which is why I did not attempt to enter the cave alone when I first reached this place..."

12. - Top - End - #12

Upon seeing that the three will be fine with a few days of rest, Refledge pulls one aside quietly, and proceeds to question these events, "Goblins ye say? Did ya even make it to the dungeons. I thought there were plenty of adventurers headed that way, why didn't you form a larger group." Refledge tries to sound gentle and polite, but he's not the most socially-adept person. I'd like to teach these goblins a thing or two, ambushin people who are just trying to make a living.

Gnome
    Spoiler
    Show
    Terra would try to follow the tavern owner, for a bit. I'll question him when he returns.
    Last edited by Madara; 2011-12-26 at 06:42 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Elyzabeth, Cleric of Pelor

Elyzabeth winced at the sight of the man. She'd certainly seen worse, but mostly back at the Church, and those had been handled by the seniors. Since leaving, she had mostly stuck to fairly easy jobs. Curing things that needed more than a mother's love and warm soup but less than a real hospital; killing things that needed more than a farmer with a shovel but less than the town guard.

Still, every little bit helps.

Here goes nothing, she muttered, leaning over the man in the bed. Placing one hand above his thigh and the other below it, she took a deep breath, and her holy symbol began to faintly glow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+1)[4]
    Tossing my level 1 for spontaneous casting. The +1 is my caster level, if I understand correctly. Assuming it does anything at all, please adjust if I did it wrong.

14. - Top - End - #14

PaladinGuy

Eyeing the situation, Horatio figured that there was little that he could add to the cleric's ministrations, since his training had focused on more martial applications than healing. Speaking low, he leaned over towards the cleric: "Let me know if you need any help."

. . .He turned back just in time to see a dwarf speak to one of the adventurers. Scratch that, he mentally noted. An ugly dwarf:

"Goblins ye say? Did ya even make it to the dungeons. I thought there were plenty of adventurers headed that way, why didn't you form a larger group."
    Horatio winced. He turned his head towards the cleric. "I'll be right back." With that he moved into the hallway as smoothly as possible before the adventurer could take too much offense at the dwarf. "My apologies for my friend here. He can be a bit blunt, but he means well. In any case, I think that your brother should be fine in the hands of the cleric." He risked a quick glance at the dwarf, mentally crossing his fingers that the dwarf would recognize the universal sign for "Please stop talking".

"If you don't mind, however, my dwarven friend and I do share some of the same curiosity. While we wait for Pelor's aid, perhaps you could tell us more about the goblin attack."
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2011-12-26 at 07:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Hashmir: That is how it works.

The man on the bed freezes for a moment as the healing magic sweeps through him. His wounds close - he's not as good as new, but he now looks much better. He blinks a few times and opens his eyes. He looks around him for a moment in confusion, then, guessing what must have happened, he smiles up at Elyzabeth. "Thank you, mam." his brother go to his side and asks how he is feeling. One of them turns to Elyzabeth, takes her hand, and shakes it vigorously. "Thank you. Thank you so much. Ron is such an idiot sometimes, but he's half the family I got." He turns back to his brother, and they talk a little bit. Now that the danger is over, the men tease their fallen brother for his mistakes. They don't pay much attention to you anymore. When addressed directly, one of the brothers turns to Horatio. The goblins? Yeah, they came at us in the woods. Ambush. We'd been to the cave. Ron sprung a trap - bloody arrow hit him in the shoulder in the first bloody room. We decided to be extra careful, like, so we headed back just so we'd be at our best before went too far. Goblins ambushed us. Maybe five of them. Shot at us, and then came rushing in from all sides. Ron tried to scare them by running right at them - he got one, but then it's little twin gave him that nasty leg bite. He went down right away. Was all we could do to cut down two more and scare off the last two." The man rambles on about how they are going to go back into the woods and 'get' the little monsters.
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2011-12-26 at 07:13 PM.
    Throw the dice high.

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

"I thank you for telling me. It's been a rough day for you, though, and I imagine you all want to clean yourselves up and rest. So I think," Horatio said, glancing quickly at both the cleric and the dwarf, "we'll leave you three alone for now."

As he moved to the door, he stopped and turned. "Oh, one more thing. Once you get your brother settled in, would you be able to show on a map where the goblins ambushed you? If the goblins are still out there, they might ambush more people before you three are up and about. I'd like to see if I could prevent that from happening, myself. Just come down when you're ready. I imagine we'll still be here."

17. - Top - End - #17

The man just shakes his head. "Somewhere near the cave, man. I don't know where. It was just in the woods."
    Throw the dice high.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Sitting in a corner of the tavern, Ixen notices the the commotion but instead of checking it out, he goes over to the Drow that was previously dancing. "I was planning on exploring that cave, why do you ask?" asks Ixen
    Last edited by 3.1415926535897; 2011-12-26 at 09:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ravalynn
    Shortly after seeing the man healed Ravalynn leaves his table, approching the bed.
    "I heard something about goblins, what happened?"
    Last edited by cardrian; 2011-12-26 at 09:00 PM.
    If it's between Wednesday and Friday, I'm probably not here.
    My BiTP characters.
    Squall avatar by Crestfallen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #20

Refledge is glad to get the information, and to have someone who could be more gentle, he returns downstairs to discuss the goblins with a few others, bringing the shiny human(Horacio) with him. "I have an idea for a plan to take care of those goblins, but it'd be good to have strength in numbers." Refledge is talking at a fairly loud tone, and it would make sense for others to hear him. If anyone comes closer or shows intrest he will offer a chair at the table.

Gnome:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Terra should be back soon, and would wave out of the wall facing me to get my attention when he arrives. I'm also trying to sit at an angle facing the door.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

21. - Top - End - #21

Lia walks up to the dancing drow with surprising grace for something six feet tall. "I had plans to head there, assuming I could gather a group of companions. You seem like you would be familiar with the area," she said, throwing back the hood of her cloak and revealing her draconic head, "Would I be able to lend my skills?"
    Last edited by GFawkes; 2011-12-26 at 10:01 PM.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #22

"So, here's my plan. It sounds like these goblins attack those who have been weakened after going to the dungeon. What we need to do, is go to the dungeon, and not go in. We can find ways to fake wounds, and look like we're tired and easy targets. This way they'll ambush us. We'll have the advantage because they'd underestimate us."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

(I think we might all need to get on the same page here.)

Jarvik is momentarily stunned to see another dragonkin in the room, but after realizing that she is not a spellscale, he coughs loudly, attempting to get the attention of the six(?) others in the room.

"Now, wait a minute, wait a minute, let's not all be hasty, now. Before we start talking about plans and caves and goblins, why don't we all introduce ourselves, and then we can start talking business?"
    Jarvik pulls his lips back into a charming smile and, rolling up an alarmingly orange sleeve, extends his hand to anyone who will shake it. "Jarvik Weaver, spellcaster at large. It's a pleasure to meet you all."
    Last edited by Really?; 2011-12-26 at 11:00 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Refledge will stand behind the spellscale, nodding enthusiasticly about what the charmer has to say. In an attempt to make others more comfortable, he pushes some tables and chair together so everyone can sit facing eachother.(With himself facing the door)
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

25. - Top - End - #25

Refledge, your little companion is back. Assuming you have not developed a sign language, it just waves to say it's done its job.

As the adventurers start introducing themselves (you may still do this, this post just happens at roughly the same time.) the door opens once again. A cleric walks in, tall, white robe, bronze skin, middle aged, short silvery hair and golden eyes.

Horatio and anyone who's got at least one rank in Knowledge Religion or Planes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is either an Aasimar or a Lesser Aasimar.

He looks over the room in a second, blinks at the sight of Elyzabeth (Assuming she's back, and that her holy symbol is visible.) and addresses her. "Ah, a sister of the servants of Pelor." He smiles, and nods his head. He looks toward the stairs. "Are they taken care of, then?"
    Last edited by FearlessGnome; 2011-12-27 at 06:35 AM.
    Throw the dice high.

26. - Top - End - #26

Refledge takes his chance when all the commotion happens as the man comes in. He gets up and offers his seat, and takes a quick walk outside.
    Gnome:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To ask Terra what information his scouting mission would have
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

Alauniira'a
    Before the Cleric walks in

"I am the rather inappropriately named Lightning Herald of Destruction. Sometimes having the right name for an adventuring career isn't enough to make you one. Humans usually call me 'Dawn', because I hate them and Humans love reminding me of the fact."

After the Cleric walks in

Alauniira'a walks back to her 'stage' and begins changing from her performing clothes into her (rather more sensible and concealing) travelling ones. She... doesn't appear to have much of a concept of personal modesty (as befits someone whose childhood has been split between being a Drow and being an exhibit in an open-sided cage).

When she rejoins the others, she takes the seat furthest from the door ('Accidentally' placing her as far away from the local priest as possible, a sensible precaution for a drow travelling alone).

"These are what I can bring to an expedition, " Alauniira'a announces, laying her rapier and her crossbow on the table in front of her. The crossbow is not loaded, much to the relief of whoever it is pointing at. "And possibly a little psionics, but it's best not to rely too much on that. If I was *good* at it, I would not be working countryside taverns for a living. I'm better with the crossbow than with the rapier, incidentally."

28. - Top - End - #28

(If someone wishes, they have time to address the cleric before this post takes place, but it's up to you.)

As Refledge heads for his companion, he is met in the door by the tavern master. As the man enters, he sees the cleric of Boccob has stopped in the common room, in no rush to go up the stairs. "Eska,", the cleric says, turning with a smile, "you didn't tell me there were two people here who were perfectly capable of seeing to the man."
    The tavern master's eyes go to Elyzabeth and Horatio. "Ah. Sorry, sir. You said to get you if anyone came in wounded, and, eh, I didn't stop to think the guests could take care o' it."
    The cleric shrugs. "Not a problem. I think I shall go and have a word with them anyway. They're safe now, but they're going to go put themselves right back into danger again if someone doesn't give them a talking to about adventuring."

(I'm assuming Horatio looks paladin-y, or just looking wouldn't have told the cleric that he had healing powers.)

Refledge:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your elemental will inform you that the tavern master went to get the cleric. I need to figure out how to add a little personality to the creature, because it's intelligent enough to hold a conversation.
    Throw the dice high.

29. - Top - End - #29

Lia sits at the table, her tail hanging over the side of the chair. "I go by the name Lia Amastacia. I am a child of Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon," she says, keeping her wings folded. "Bahamut granted me this form that I may aid him better. It allows great strength and stamina, along with the additional limbs. Though it never hurts to have a sword," she indicates the sword at her hip, "or the breath of Dragonkind." She finishes by shooting a small spark of fire into the air, letting in harmlessly dissipate.
    Awesome Gordon Freemane Avatar by Dirtytabs

ATTENTION: Finally returning (slowly) after a hiatus. I'd rather not talk about it.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Those who post with ponies become ponies themselves.
    And if you stare too long into Equestria, Equestria stares into you.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpotato and Aldurin
    Free action is infinite attacks a round isn't it?

You're right, it's too weak.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Savannah

Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #30

Refledge returns inside, this time bringing the arsinal. "Ladies and Gentleman of whatever this gathering may become, let me present my companion and contribution to this expedition, Terra." At this point, he steps aside, revealing a creature roughly his his made of different stones, this elemental is made mostly of Jade and coal. Terra stands 4 and a half feet tall, and wears a green pair of breeches(Yes, he wears clothes). At this point the Elemental turn to greet the people.

Gnome:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Its your turn. According to the rules, Terra can speak common. Have a it
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~