Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    What GM envisioned:
    Spoiler
    Show

plus
    What's the second of these from?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Banned

Goblin

Default Re: What I Made, What the GM Saw, What I Played

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    What's the second of these from?
    http://sandara.deviantart.com/art/va...ewolf-85333847

3. - Top - End - #273
    Banned

Goblin

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the GM saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I played:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I made character for Sailor Moon game with fire powers. GM just saw another Sailor OC. My character was basically gender-flipped Paul Phoenix

4. - Top - End - #274
    Pixie in the Playground

Sincerely hope this works, first time I've tried raw-linking off Picasa:

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing an Exalted game over Skype - my player rolls up a fighter type (not referenced) and a priest/sorceror (Zenith caste). Takes a powerbow, "just in case", but builds him as more of a healer/persuader with a bit of magic for the funsies.

Given his description, he sounded like Gandhi - holy man, aversion to killing, emaciated, tall, grew up in the South (i.e. desert), tried to bring enlightenment (heh) to those he encountered.

A session or two later, the warrior leaves to go check on something, and the holy man is hanging around town... when a giant necrotech monstrosity erupts from the ground. I was expecting the character to run to fetch the warrior, but instead... the most epic, climactic battle I've ever run. Priest runs around, sniping the creature, body-shielding civilians (and taking boatloads of damage), eventually hops up onto the back of the creature firing light-empowered arrows into the back of it's head... only to cause the thing to overload in an explosion of necrotic energy. He passed out from the explosion, protecting two innocent civilians (because my player refused to take Limit from a Compassion check) - wakes up a few days later with an extra dot in cult for his troubles ;)

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geigan View Post
    [snip]
    What I played, a shoggoth in the shape of a pony as a fellow player put it with a level of cheer that cannot be comprehended by mortal minds.
    You, sir, have won my undying respect and love.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

So. I made Tryndamere as a Barbarian for a game once...
    Spoiler
    Show

And so...
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. I made Tryndamere with a massive Con score + the Ferocious Tenacity and Diehard feats for the 'Endless Rage' effect.

2. Everyone else I was playing with was used to the 'high Strength, low Intelligence' Barbarian builds that simply rush face first into battle to slaughter everything...

3. One of our party members was a gunslinger who'd been using his gunpowder to cause explosions and knock through walls and such. Tryndamere ends up, after a dare from one of the party members, picking up an entire keg of gunpowder and walking into the building where our enemies are hiding. Entering rage and lighting the keg as the entire party flees I deal MASSIVE damage to not only everyone in the building as well as the building itself but also collateral damage to anything on the city block, leaving nothing but a smoking black scar on the city where a building used to stand as several second later Tryndamere walked out of the building at -5 HP.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

Racist gnome illusionist who hates gnomes but doesn't realize he's a gnome, because he believes he's just a human with stunted growth or a disease.

(Seriously though, how come in DnD all humans are like, normal height, and never born as midgets or have any of the various growth diseases afflicting humans in real life? :smallconfused )

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rallicus View Post
    (Seriously though, how come in DnD all humans are like, normal height, and never born as midgets or have any of the various growth diseases afflicting humans in real life? )
    Because then they'd be dwarves.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Because then they'd be dwarves.
    Y'know, I have been tempted to play a character that was a human suffering from dwarfism, and decided to play up dwarvenly traits.

edit: Also, GreenZ, you have my undying respect for your charcter.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2012-05-16 at 12:55 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johenius View Post
    Sincerely hope this works, first time I've tried raw-linking off Picasa:

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing an Exalted game over Skype - my player rolls up a fighter type (not referenced) and a priest/sorceror (Zenith caste). Takes a powerbow, "just in case", but builds him as more of a healer/persuader with a bit of magic for the funsies.

Given his description, he sounded like Gandhi - holy man, aversion to killing, emaciated, tall, grew up in the South (i.e. desert), tried to bring enlightenment (heh) to those he encountered.

A session or two later, the warrior leaves to go check on something, and the holy man is hanging around town... when a giant necrotech monstrosity erupts from the ground. I was expecting the character to run to fetch the warrior, but instead... the most epic, climactic battle I've ever run. Priest runs around, sniping the creature, body-shielding civilians (and taking boatloads of damage), eventually hops up onto the back of the creature firing light-empowered arrows into the back of it's head... only to cause the thing to overload in an explosion of necrotic energy. He passed out from the explosion, protecting two innocent civilians (because my player refused to take Limit from a Compassion check) - wakes up a few days later with an extra dot in cult for his troubles ;)
    Gentlemen, this is why I love Exalted.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The game was Call of Cthulhu.

Spoiler
    Show

I don't know what the guy in the bottom left pic is actually doing, but just imagine him reading Necronomicon or something. And I really had no idea what the players were actually expecting, which was likely a big part of the problem here. I should've asked them and I dearly regret that I didn't.

To the people who were playing this: Seriously guys, I'm sorry. And also very aware that you'll probably see this tomorrow when we're gaming and luckily

1) Will not be playing CoC
    2) I won't be GMing.

Lol.
    Last edited by DeIdeal; 2012-05-22 at 06:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

Time to get this thread started again.

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was playing a gestalt Warblade//Luckamancer. The first pic is Joshua, a gambling swordsman from Fire Emblem Sacred Stones. The second is fan art of Mat Cauthon, a character from the Wheel of Time series with supernatural luck. The third, of course, is none other than . This character was a snarky bastard who was damn near impossible to kill. With Evasion and Mettle, huge save bonuses and the ability to reroll low rolls, trying to hit him with anything that required a save was an exercise in futility and with a pretty high AC, permanent 50% miss chance, Uncanny Dodge and the ability to inflict Unluck on people, hurting him through straight damage was pretty hard too. He would frequently end combat without a scratch. As for how he was like Othar, to the villains he was that one hero that just wouldn't die, no matter what they did. between my smack talk and invulnerability I drove more than one villain into such a rage that they forgot all about completing their schemes and just came after me.
    Last edited by Knight13; 2012-06-16 at 01:25 AM.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

What I made (elf ranger)
    Spoiler
    Show

What the Players saw (because of my Stealth ability, long range, accuracy)
    Spoiler
    Show

What I Played
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Alcatraz497; 2012-07-06 at 11:52 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alcatraz497 View Post
    What I made (elf ranger)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

What I Played
    Spoiler
    Show
    After the "What the other players saw" picture I was kind of expecting the "What I played" to be this:

Spoiler
    Show

Legolas is cool too, though.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-09-23 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Image stopped working

15. - Top - End - #285
    Pixie in the Playground

This isn't about me, but one of my players in a 4E game I ran. He played a Warforged Warden with a pretty crazy backstory. When he made it, he said "I've never played a tank. I think I'll play a tank."

What he made:
    Spoiler
    Show

A solid defender, yea?

What we saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

He doesn't have the most serious personality. He's a hilarious guy.

What he played:
    Spoiler
    Show

And I'm not even exaggerating.

His character is Animo Malefacto. He never smiles, he carries a ****-off huge hammer, and he is very, VERY angry.
    We didn't now how Wardens work. He went around tanking, drawing every baddy towards him, and smashed the life out of everything, or used primal thunder magic to murder it's face off.
    He managed to solo a Draco-litch. That was twice his level. He won, and currently wears Draco-litch scale/skin armor and has a hammer made from it's skull.
    The man freaking wrassled the big bad off of his RED DRAGON. In our group, he's a Memetic Bad-ass, and we have memes about him. He even gave his own gravely, angry, man-voice to help with the role-playing, which he did scary well.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Barbarian in the Playground

What I saw

Spoiler
    Show

What the GM saw

Spoiler
    Show

What I played

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So basically, I imagined this character as almost the Tiefling equivalent to Magneto or Redcloak. An evil racial supremacist for his own kind, who came to his views as a result of some pretty painful personal experiences. As it turned out, however, my DM mostly saw him as someone who had to be redeemed in order to play, even though my character, even at his most evil, really didn't get that much worse than the supposedly neutral-aligned ranger and rogue. As such, she decided that, rather than building up much to that point, she'd almost immediately force my character into seeing his faith shattered before his very eyes, which (obviously) isn't going to leave someone fit for adventuring five minutes later. My RPing a strongly devout character's descent into depression after an agent of his god literally came before him and said "Hey. You know those guys our faith really, really hates? We're working with them now. And we never really wanted you to have your job. Oh, and we're about to kill you." was construed as "Wangst". I really don't understand that part.
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds;

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

What I saw (Uses his fire magic to heat the metal)

Spoiler
    Show

What the DM Saw

Spoiler
    Show

What am I playing (Beguiling Strands+Arcane Admixture(Fire)+Pyromancer & Enchanment Mage Spec = Fun....also In paragon Malec-Janisary+ Enlarge makes it even better)

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Blind_Prophet; 2012-09-21 at 02:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blind_Prophet View Post
    What the DM Saw

Spoiler
    Show
    Image isn't wasn't working for me, until I cut-and-pasted the URL.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2012-09-21 at 01:55 PM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Image isn't working for me.
    It's a smiling/laughing guy with a presumably empty gas can watching a house burn
    Last edited by Blind_Prophet; 2012-09-21 at 01:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Alcatraz497 View Post
    What I made (elf ranger)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

What I Played
    Spoiler
    Show
    So instead of using your stealth and range, you ran around going point blank and using your arrows as improvised daggers?

A Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker/Reaping Mauler Goliath.

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the GM saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I played:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2012-09-21 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Also:

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the GM saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I played:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation: Space boys. I was the crippled captain and an incredibly skilled pilot. Also part of the tech support for the ground team. We had been RPing for hours and we had all not slept in awhile. After beer was mixed in I went loopy and my character became, well, strange. VERY STRANGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground

What I Made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the party Paladin Saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I played:
    Spoiler
    Show

I wanted to play a pretty standard assassin, but our paladin player is Lawful Stupid, so by comparison I look more reasonable (but still evil).
    Last edited by The Random NPC; 2012-09-22 at 12:55 AM.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

What I made
    Spoiler
    Show

What the DM saw
    Spoiler
    Show

What I played
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation...sort of.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Huh Ed has appeared three times in this topic didn't see that coming
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

25. - Top - End - #295
    Banned

Goblin

From games on these forums that ended:

Second Darkness Pathfinder Game

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What The DM Saw
    Spoiler
    Show

What I wanted to play
    Spoiler
    Show

what I played
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show

My character was Elf alchemist with 'fallen Paladin" in backstory, who was getting jobs to have money to raise goblin child she was taking care of. As for gameplay, I envisioned her as sort of Hawkeye character, planning to take this discovery which allows Alchemist to attack her bombs to arrows. Because she was using bow, I'm pretty sure DM saw her mostly as an archer. In the game my character sort of filled Batman/skillmonkey nice - opening locks, making good knowledge checks, pretending to be someone else, dropping bombs at people and pretenging to be lesbian to get somebody's attention away from her teammates. She was alo very pragmatic and kinda cynical.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

What I Made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the DM Saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I Played:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wanted to build a wild survivalist hunter type for 4E (standard issue Razerclaw Ranger). The DM wanted to fast-forward the nature hikes and get straight to the dungeons. So, I kind of got stuck in the back row sniping minions with Twin Strike while the fighter and barbarian got to have all the fun. Next level, I retrained my abilities and feats and became a wildly effective acrobatic ranged fighter who could shift almost as fast as he could move. I basically used acrobatics checks to twist and flip my way around, under, or over obstacles or terrain issues so that I could keep moving.

We were just making the switch from 3.5, so I was keeping it simple. Not knowing any better, we rolled our stats like we did in 3.5 and I ended up with a mostly DEX character, with fantastic stats in Nature, Acrobatics, and Stealth. Since skill checks didn't come up at all in this dungeon delver campaign, I had forgotten all about his skills. When I was retraining, I took a better look at the skills and thought, wow... Speznaz. Cool!
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-09-22 at 12:39 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    From games on these forums that ended:

Second Darkness Pathfinder Game

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What The DM Saw
    Spoiler
    Show

What I wanted to play
    Spoiler
    Show

what I played
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show

My character was Elf alchemist with 'fallen Paladin" in backstory, who was getting jobs to have money to raise goblin child she was taking care of. As for gameplay, I envisioned her as sort of Hawkeye character, planning to take this discovery which allows Alchemist to attack her bombs to arrows. Because she was using bow, I'm pretty sure DM saw her mostly as an archer. In the game my character sort of filled Batman/skillmonkey nice - opening locks, making good knowledge checks, pretending to be someone else, dropping bombs at people and pretenging to be lesbian to get somebody's attention away from her teammates. She was alo very pragmatic and kinda cynical.
    Last picture isn't working.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

28. - Top - End - #298
    Banned

Goblin

Strange, it works just fine for me. Anyway, it's DC Comics character, batwoman (think Batman if he was a lesbian with military background).

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

What I made
    Spoiler
    Show

What the DM saw
    Spoiler
    Show

What I played
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pathfinder Society character.

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

PLUS

What the DM (And players) saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I play:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I play a Dawnflower Dervish 2 (melee bard)/Urban Barbarian 2/Unarmed Fighter 1, quite possibly the most useless Bard build I've seen. However, the character is insane. Wields a scimitar, uses Dex for most everything, can rage and battle dance at once and can dump said rage into Dex for more shenanigans. Also, at level 5, she's not even breaking 40hp but jacks her AC up to 25 without breaking a sweat.

The TL;DR version is that she's an overly violent rage filled Half Elf Varisian wanderer (Heavy Romani influence) that hates slavery (to the point of considering any murdered slavers as "justified") and suffers from Dissociative Identity Disorder and trauma-induced amnesia (witnessed her parents being murdered and eaten by hobgoblins. Killed'em with fire and blocked the memory and fabricated a new identity for herself to help her cope). Also has some slight pyromaniac tendencies.

The DM and players see her as useless 'cause she can't drop an Inspire Courage or have access to Bardic Knowledge, but they kinda stop poking fun at her when she's tanking five vikings when half the party is dead or dying.
    Last edited by Silus; 2012-09-23 at 04:04 AM.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika