New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What I Made, What the GM Saw, What I Played

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Her origin as a Planeswalker story is perhaps the best representation of why the color wheel is a better morality system then the Morality grid of DnD.
    There's a homebrew for that.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    No, I don't like Lord_Gareth's version. It's terrible.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #333
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    agreed, it doesnt actually follow how the colors are, it follows the Ravnica Block leadup discussion, which was leading upto an explaination of what each Ravnica guild was about.

Note that the Ravnica guilds were taking one aspect of two colors that work together
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-10-10 at 02:31 PM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

What other versions are there? Because it's a cool idea to be sure.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

As far as I know, there isn't another. You have to do the research of it yourself

For a rough start. Ya, it is fine. It handles white as LG, not LNE. It forces paladins to be primary white instead of primary red with secondary white or black.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

None. You literally just have to take the color wheel and pick a couple colors.
    For a rough start. Ya, it is fine. It handles white as LG, not LNE. It forces paladins to be primary white instead of primary red with secondary white or black.
    ???

White is LGNE, and is the best color for paladins. And that is why I love the color wheel. Because not only is the paladin more flexible as White than as Lawful Good, he can also choose secondary colors.

Also, Red pretty much represents chaos, and goblins (which are neutral evil). It could be a secondary color for a more boisterous paladin, but primary for all... I don't see it.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-10-11 at 01:14 PM.
    My Steam profile

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Red pretty much represents chaos
    no. Red is first and foremost Emotion. Chaos is an extension of that (and even moreso Green's Territory). more specifically, Red is where Conviction (the Paladin's entire class is Conviction in one's Ideals) is. White is good in the way an Angel is good, IE: With no real connection to the individual.

Drow avatar @ myself

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Congratulations! You just proved that Alignment Pentacolor is just as suspectible to alignment debates as the default D&D system.

What about those made, saw, played images then?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Congratulations! You just proved that Alignment Pentacolor is just as suspectible to alignment debates as the default D&D system.
    No, it isnt.

What it is, is more susceptible to people actually interpreting it wrong. the 2 axis alignment of normal is just simply that screwed up
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-10-11 at 05:47 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

10. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

What I made

Spoiler
    Show

What the DM saw

Spoiler
    Show

What I played

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation

Spoiler
    Show
    I had it written in her backstory that the young Aasimar merchant girl was once a slave bought by the guildmaster and that she was sent on her "travelling merchant" quest in order to test her skill in the guild. She was favored in the guild since the old guildmaster saw her like a childish daughter, however over the course of the campaign I made so much money I monopolized the shopping district and basically become an NGO that even the lords were afraid of ticking off (The 14 levels in cleric didn't hurt).

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

no. Red is first and foremost Emotion. Chaos is an extension of that (and even moreso Green's Territory). more specifically, Red is where Conviction (the Paladin's entire class is Conviction in one's Ideals) is. White is good in the way an Angel is good, IE: With no real connection to the individual.
    Conviction requires putting your ideals above your empathy, your anger, your love, and your sadness. That doesn't sound very Red to me.

Chaotic is a terrible word for alignments in general. Lawful characters are better at swallowing their emotions. A chaotic Red character will not leave his love for war, unless he desires being a war hero more than he desires the girl, or is particularly good at the art of war and decides that if his nation wins, he can come back home with his love waiting for him. A lawful White character is the opposite: he will serve, and the glory will be a nice benefit.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-10-11 at 06:27 PM.
    My Steam profile

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Conviction requires putting your ideals above your empathy, your anger, your love, and your sadness. That doesn't sound very Red to me.
    except that conviction, Incredibly strong belief in something, is described in the full length red article as the pinnacle of red.

in fact, Red at its absolute best is the description of the Paladin in the fluff (barring the code)

Red, at it's absolute worst, Is the description of the Barbarian

Edit: Cool character Morithas
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-10-11 at 06:58 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

except that conviction, Incredibly strong belief in something, is described in the full length red article as the pinnacle of red.

in fact, Red at its absolute best is the description of the Paladin in the fluff (barring the code)

Red, at it's absolute worst, Is the description of the Barbarian

Edit: Cool character Morithas
    I dunno about best, but at worst, Red is a - you know what? You're right. It's a berserker.

I'm not saying that paladin can't be Red. I really like the White/Red combination, actually. Simple and strong, both in offense and defense. It is not without intelligence and cunning, but it is better suited to a strong hammer and a sturdy shield than an assassin's dagger or a wizard's trick. However, I think a paladin is better suited to White primary.

What's stopping a chaotic good character in the current system from having strong convictions? The only difference between a lawful and a chaotic good in that regard is that lawful is more likely to codify his beliefs, while a chaotic is more likely to follow his instinct. A lawful good character is also more likely to try and work with existing organizations in a Sun Tzu "diplomacy first" style.

I don't know all that much about the colors besides the tenth edition color wheel and looking at cards of various colors. I will say, however, that Red and White both lend themselves well to the straightforward attitude of a paladin, but White is more diplomatic.

So maybe make it that they can be either Red or White primary? Eh, but Red primary still gives players an excuse to be a barbarian with paladin spells and no Rage. But I personally don't have a problem with that if you follow the fluff of paladins being kind and devoted warriors from all walks of life, with a special divine spark.
    My Steam profile

14. - Top - End - #344
    Banned

Can you guys take this to a new thread? Not to try to step over the line and moderate, but I have no clue what you guys are talking about, and I think a fair number of people are in the same boat, having never played magic.

Seriously the whole last page with the exception of my post has been debate over the magic alignment system.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    Can you guys take this to a new thread? Not to try to step over the line and moderate, but I have no clue what you guys are talking about, and I think a fair number of people are in the same boat, having never played magic.

Seriously the whole last page with the exception of my post has been debate over the magic alignment system.
    well, i have this huge problem of living in Hackettstown, NJ (aka the most Least well known major manufacturing center of candy on earth(grab anything made by M&Ms, its on the back, i live a snowball's throw from the factory)). I dont have anyone within like, 10+ miles who plays, dont have any PbPs running, and i am going to the county college, and thus only have minimal free time.

the reason why it happened was i pointed out that WHEN DONE PROPERLY (IE, what gareth's crowbrew completely fails at doing), the morality of MTG is alot more interesting and of much higher quality then the rather bland and grey of DnD.

Drow avatar @ myself

16. - Top - End - #346
    Bugbear in the Playground

No, it isnt.

What it is, is more susceptible to people actually interpreting it wrong.
    is what i'd say about the 2 axis one.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

What I posted:

Spoiler
    Show

What happened to the thread:

Spoiler
    Show

How I reacted:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

I can't do pics on this machine, so I'll just make one statement about the alignment hiccup that started.

No alignment system will ever be perfect or make everyone happy.

That just kind happens when you try to squeeze the entirety of human behavior into only a handful of boxes; 2 axes, 5 colors, even a 12 note musical alignment system where your character is described by chord.

The entirety of morality and ethics can't be summed up that simply, in no small part because their so subjective to culture.

All that said, I agree with the others, further discussion should probably be taken to another thread.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-10-12 at 05:58 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    What I made.

Spoiler
    Show

What the DM Saw.

Spoiler
    Show

What I played

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation: I made an evil knight who just wanted to fight for the fun of it. In the end however he ended up less "Evil Overlord who wants to take over the world." and more "Flirts with anything that doesn't have a Y chromosome."
    I must say, with Rance over there I really hope it ended with just flirting.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #350
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

It took me an embarrassingly large amount of time to do this.
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I had wanted to make the Campest most obvious villian I could think of as a session filler to give the group time to pick up some contacts in the new city. So I built Gouda De Vil. (Aka: The Big Cheese.) A morbidly obese lesbian in an attempt to stop one of the group from hitting on her. (It didn't work.) She's a "legitimate business-woman" attempting to gather resources for a foray into the Restaurant business through a combination of dirty dealings, blackmail and the murder of one kitten.

The PCs came into it when she attempted to hire them to capture some ingredients so that she could supply her cooks (An Ettin, several Bugbears, a varied group of player races and a freaking RAKASHA.) and team of clerics. Who would heal the butchered animals (and the occasional sentient) during slaughter in order to make sure that the meat is as fresh as possible and so they wouldn't need a constant stream of carts pulling some of the less than savoury ingredients into the building. (Sucrose mostly though they do occasionally get delivery of lollies and cakes from across the street.)

So of course the player's sign right up for a low-paying, high risk (but admittedly high xp) job that involves ritualised torture, enslavement and semi-frequent raids by a group of Paladin.

I couldn't believe it. I'd even given her an obviously evil name.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

What I Made:

What the DM Saw:

What I Played:

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was my first real attempt at an evil PC, and it was for a low-op campaign. So, I'm thinking: son of an evil overlord. I go with Aristocrat/Paladin of Tyranny. I dumped in WIS and DEX, thinking, he's brash and cocky (unwise) and who needs high DEX when you've got good armor. I built him for mounted combat (because Aristo's don't walk, put all my ranks in Ride and Handle Animal and bought myself a horse (I wasn't a high enough level to have a Pally's mount yet). I even took Inattentive and Shaky as flaws for more mounted feats.

Then we started a campaign that was all about Sense Motive, Spot and Listen checks. *Sigh* To make matters worse, I couldn't seem to roll above a 5 in anything. So he quickly turned into the comic relief of the group... the bumbling idiot from a Right Behind Me trope who never got to stab anything with his lance while riding Johann (my totally awesome friesian stallion). The character wasn't right for the campaign, so I retired August (my PC) before the game got very far. C'est le vie.
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-10-13 at 01:41 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

22. - Top - End - #352
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I must say, with Rance over there I really hope it ended with just flirting.
    Actually it didn't, but the forum won't let me post what actually happened.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Pixie in the Playground

What I Made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the DM Saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I Played:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by dazric; 2013-05-06 at 11:12 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

"What I made" thread, is that you!? I thought you were dead!

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default It is back dear friends the wicked old witch is dead

It lives!!
    What I made thread it is so good to see you!
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

26. - Top - End - #356
    Banned

Dammit! I have no images or stories to contribute. We must re-rail this thread to save it from the necromancer's bane!

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This:

Worshiping this:

What the DM saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I played:
    Spoiler
    Show

But after I leave:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Made a Chaotic Evil Cleric who worshiped a god of greed, wrote a backstory in which he kills his way up through the ranks of a temple-bank, thought of his god as essentially a deification of Ayn Rand, combining "do what you wilt: that is the whole of the law" with rampant capitalism. The DM thought: great, we have a Cleric! And in the end I was mostly completely helpful (because I'm not crazy, I'm just evil), to the extent that I ended up preparing mostly buff spells and boosting the other party members because the melee was fairly heavily optimized. Ended up giving the party a kickass demiplane free of charge before leaving the group. Though the demiplane was actually a deal with a villain who wants to manipulate the party, in exchange for letting me be a high priest of an Elder God, so I may come back as a villain later.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Oh oh I have a great one from a short campaign that I was a part of

What I Made
    Spoiler
    Show

What the Gm Saw
    Spoiler
    Show

What Another Player Saw
    Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.indianchatforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/censored1-300x240.jpg

What I Played
    Spoiler
    Show
    ]

Explanations
    Spoiler
    Show

-I wanted to play a disabled artist. So I decided to play a painter without arms. I made the Katawa Shoujo joke later and its all the Gm could think about with the character.
    -Another player who does not like Katawa Shoujo and thinks he's a super writer, and was a all around smug jerk who caused trouble.
    -He kept dragging away or ruining, scenes with my character cause he's going to have her do something raunchy!!!
    -She became from scarred victim into the groups troll.
    -And generally tried to cause problems for the leader of the group the other guys character
    The game was 7 sessions. Each 5 hours long. I got a total of 10 minutes session 1. And in 4 is when she became the troll
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

29. - Top - End - #359
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Legend(with a bit of homebrew)

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show
    I made basically a veteran tactician who was a sentient item and was fairly subtle about the more human side of herself to others. Naturally since I didn't make it obvious the group really just saw her as a fairly chatty glove. She ended up revealing herself later(she had the ability to take a human form, but she didn't make use of it til several sessions in), but her main role I would probably describe as something like Cortana. I knew and was keeping pace with the direction of the plot fairly well, and had fairly good knowledge of the world and where we should be going. This resulted in her basically being the mouthpiece for reviewing plot exposition(occasionally necessary for full recap mode since we took on some new players halfway in) and telling us where we needed to go next and why. Some of her IC dialogue wouldn't have been out of place in a video game pre-mission cutscene or something. I did actually enjoy this somewhat because sorting out the tangled mess of what we'd gotten hip deep into and being able to actually explain it in a way that made sense did really help her direct the party in what we needed to get done and was kind of fulfilling. She also definitely came across as a sort of AI based off of someone else's personality, between telegraphing her combat actions over world-mind like she was running a program and providing tactical advice/bonuses (also through world-mind) directly to the rest of the party.
    Last edited by Geigan; 2013-05-06 at 11:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Banned

Goblin

What I made

Spoiler
    Show

What others saw

Spoiler
    Show

What I played
    Spoiler