Spoiler
    Show
    Meet Steelhammer
    He can lift a few tons
    Take assault rifle fire
    Heals every round

So he said Colossus made from a symbiote bonding to a guy

I was expecting Wolverine

Instead i got the juggernaut, who talks in jive and won't let the man put him down and had to be the hero who cannot be stoped
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

2. - Top - End - #392
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: What I Made, What the GM Saw, What I Played

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:

Spoiler
    Show
    I designed a non-optimized Swordsage for a campaign my friend was running where he I were the only ones with any experience. The DM had never seen ToB before and when I showed it to him, he instantly linked it with DBZ and other anime.

After two sessions, I became the unwilling leader of the team and all around snarky bastard that was really good with a short sword.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

What I Made
    Spoiler
    Show

What The Gm Saw
    Spoiler
    Show

What I'm Playing
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show

I made a Surfer girl whose had a really good life, fun interesting, a bit bubbly, but she was kidnapped about a month ago.

Gm Saw the fact her hair is died and somehow thought tattoo's on her lips[*]. So he was expecting party girl.

So far she's played more as a spunky but physically/emotionally distant girl.

*Wrote up a character for a horror system/game. She had been taken by the Doll Collector. Creepy monster that dresses up people as its own personal doll collection and she had escaped. The Doll Collectors makeup is permanent so her lips were forever a neon pink and her hair has bright neon pink streaks in it that would never fade.
    Said Gm for this game is aware of this character for when I get the chance to play that system, so maybe thought I was just taking the character and transferring from Horror too the Slice-of-Life/Horror/Comedy campaign we are playing.
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

What I Made:

Spoiler
    Show

What the DM Saw:

Spoiler
    Show

What I'm Playing:

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation

Spoiler
    Show
    So I basically made a D&D 3.5e Crusader based loosely on the Sisters Repentia from WH40k for a campaign where we're supposed to be infiltrating (and then obliterating) evil cults. DM thought this was a great concept; though I think he views her fanaticism in a slightly different fashion than I do.

Unfortunately I've had a devil of a time with her personality, so she's about as interesting as a brick. Very destructive and effective in combat... very boring outside of it. That said I have a plan to change that soon...
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

5. - Top - End - #395
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warning, large image ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Scary magical hoodoo and technology are the same thing; their difference is merely one of cultural context." - Arthur C. Clarke (paraphrased)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hiryuu View Post
    Warning, large image ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    That awkward moment when you realize that Beast changelings could easily be made to fit a... certain well-known but little-acknowledged character archetype.

That horrifying moment when you imagine the kind of Keeper that would result in such a changeling.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2013-06-19 at 02:42 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Basically, I was called into the game because they felt they needed a skillmonkey. I obliged, and rolled up an elf rogue (the brother of another character, my girlfriend's, explicitly because we wanted an excuse to play bickering siblings in SOME RPG) to fill the role. I didn't want to overload our DM (a very good, but very old-school DM) with the Factotum, since it can get kind of wonky at times, so I stuck with the baseline rogue, envisioning him as a smooth-talking but larcenous thief. He saw me exactly as I was requested: as the skillmonkey. Unfortunately, my most useful contributions to the party have been my OOC knowledge of Forgotten Realms and the rules of D&D. At one point, it was a joke that I was a rogue who hadn't done anything roguelike since he got there. Fortunately, I've managed to acquit myself with a few good sessions and consistently entertaining roleplaying, so all's well that ends...kind of well.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    That awkward moment when you realize that Beast changelings could easily be made to fit a... certain well-known but little-acknowledged character archetype.

That horrifying moment when you imagine the kind of Keeper that would result in such a changeling.
    Thanks for that idea Sith I'll note that down
    Check Out

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Banned

Goblin

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Made a character who is a teenager and also feminist. Everybody though I'm gonna ramp up the feminism but instead I put emphasis on being plucky and kinda scary when serious.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Pixie in the Playground

What I Made:

Spoiler
    Show

What the DM Saw:

Spoiler
    Show

What I Played:

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by SierraB109; 2013-09-16 at 10:06 AM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Made an arcane full caster, DM threw in a Faustian bargain for extra spells per day, I ran with it and founded a new religion.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

What I Made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the Party Saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I Played:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Made a Pathfinder Witch with a shadow patron (referred to as his Friends On The Other Side).

Behave as an evil mastermind in every way, complete with constant maniacal laughter (i.e., the Cackle hex).

But actually a good dude: always insisting on mercy to defeated enemies (in hopes of recruiting them to his evil minion army), donating to orphanages (on the grounds of investing in potential future minions), and refusing to ever kill or even carry a weapon (on the grounds that "killing is beneath me" and "not my style: it's not elegant or creative!").
    Last edited by Malimar; 2013-09-16 at 01:55 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Alright, here's some tax.

Spoiler
    Show

Origin

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally I wanted a Desert Elf Wizard... The DM let me play a Wizard... I turned out to be a SH**E Wizard and greedy to boot. My friends actually pointed out that Sheik Amar was exactly like my character.
    Last edited by Asheram; 2013-09-16 at 03:19 PM.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

14. - Top - End - #404

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show

(The) Axis from this Dawn of Worlds game. Admittedly, the DM just called him/her/it chaotic evil. In truth, axis is completely amoral and not strictly corporeal.

Also relevant to the axis (and fairly present in anyone's view of him/her/it):

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by ImperialSunligh; 2013-09-16 at 06:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

I made
    Spoiler
    Show

DM saw
    Spoiler
    Show

I played
    Spoiler
    Show
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

16. - Top - End - #406

Spoiler: What I Made
    Show

Spoiler: What (Every PFS) GM Sees
    Show

Spoiler: What I Played
    Show

Spoiler: Explanation
    Show
    Rolled a White-Haired Witch. He's (yes, he's) in frontline combat all the time and his only spells are usually Mage Armor and Ray of Enfeeblement. He also thinks he's a goddamn Cavalier crossed with a Super Sentai but he's insane. I whip my hair back and forth, I whip my hair back and forth.
    Last edited by The Oni; 2013-10-23 at 01:18 PM.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

17. - Top - End - #407
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

What I Made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the DM Saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I Played:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was supposed to be a low tier, lo-op game (lo-lo). So I built an Aristocrat/Paladin of Tyranny with mounted feats out the wazoo, and I had one abysmally low roll... like a 4 or 6 or something, but otherwise stellar rolls, so I dumped hard in Wisdom. Because my spot/listen/sense motive was so low, he made me roll to see if I could tell if people in the same room as me were talking to me. Because I'm the evil son of wealthy nobles, naturally I'm greedy and highly classist, but that became a fixation my group had for my character, but I'd built a better backstory than that. At least, for low-tier lo-op, my Aristopally could still hit like a boss (giving him a niche in the party), until one of the players showed up with a multi-headed, multi-armed, multi-templeted god-slayer that had no business being in a lo-lo game, and got the character approved, which of course relegated my pally to comic relief. That wasn't what I built him for, and everyone seemed to be having fun but me, so I dropped out of the game quietly and played Borderlands 2 with my wife.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the GM saw:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I ended up playing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show

I intended her to be like, sort of a knightly character in power armor and a jousting drill lance. However people quickly took that to mean she was a TTGL reference, when she wasn't supposed to be, but I since like TTGL, I gone along with it, but when trouble actually struck and she had a mystery to solve, she became very concerned about catching the lawbreaker and bringing him to justice for his crime.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
    Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was supposed to be a low tier, lo-op game (lo-lo). So I built an Aristocrat/Paladin of Tyranny with mounted feats out the wazoo, and I had one abysmally low roll... like a 4 or 6 or something, but otherwise stellar rolls, so I dumped hard in Wisdom. Because my spot/listen/sense motive was so low, he made me roll to see if I could tell if people in the same room as me were talking to me. Because I'm the evil son of wealthy nobles, naturally I'm greedy and highly classist, but that became a fixation my group had for my character, but I'd built a better backstory than that. At least, for low-tier lo-op, my Aristopally could still hit like a boss (giving him a niche in the party), until one of the players showed up with a multi-headed, multi-armed, multi-templeted god-slayer that had no business being in a lo-lo game, and got the character approved, which of course relegated my pally to comic relief. That wasn't what I built him for, and everyone seemed to be having fun but me, so I dropped out of the game quietly and played Borderlands 2 with my wife.
    Not the explanation I was expecting for the Borderlands picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show

I intended her to be like, sort of a knightly character in power armor and a jousting drill lance. However people quickly took that to mean she was a TTGL reference, when she wasn't supposed to be, but I since like TTGL, I gone along with it, but when trouble actually struck and she had a mystery to solve, she became very concerned about catching the lawbreaker and bringing him to justice for his crime.
    Didn't you know? Gurren-Lagann invented drills.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2013-10-23 at 08:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

20. - Top - End - #410

Haha I love this meme now.

Spoiler
    Show

Show
    I made an evil hobgoblin cleric who was the high priest of maglubiyet for an evil game in which we were all evil or monsters. The GM thought I was a healer. I had never played a cleric before that but I knew I wasn't going to be healing much. I turned out to be pretty much just a useless, reckless, egomaniacal party leader who never used weapons and was pretty much just good at escaping, distracting, and intimidating.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SeekAndDestroy View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show
    Basically, I was called into the game because they felt they needed a skillmonkey. I obliged, and rolled up an elf rogue (the brother of another character, my girlfriend's, explicitly because we wanted an excuse to play bickering siblings in SOME RPG) to fill the role. I didn't want to overload our DM (a very good, but very old-school DM) with the Factotum, since it can get kind of wonky at times, so I stuck with the baseline rogue, envisioning him as a smooth-talking but larcenous thief. He saw me exactly as I was requested: as the skillmonkey. Unfortunately, my most useful contributions to the party have been my OOC knowledge of Forgotten Realms and the rules of D&D. At one point, it was a joke that I was a rogue who hadn't done anything roguelike since he got there. Fortunately, I've managed to acquit myself with a few good sessions and consistently entertaining roleplaying, so all's well that ends...kind of well.
    Yep, that sums up just about every rogue I try to play. I go for Lupin III and end up with Sokka :P

(Little known fact: My image is cut from my original avatar of Lupin III that I drew very poorly!)
    Last edited by Akal Saris; 2013-10-23 at 09:36 PM.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

22. - Top - End - #412
    Banned

Made

Spoiler
    Show

DM Saw

Spoiler
    Show

What I played

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation

Spoiler
    Show
    Daughter of two super-villains, who goes to a normal school because she wants to 'spread chaos' at it, rather than go to the Academy of Evil. She turns out to not be that great at spreading chaos, and instead spends most of her time on petty pranks.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So these are actually both the same character, but due to plot reasons he's had a (not so) extreme personality shift.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Explanation
    Spoiler
    Show

So the character started out as a Half-Orc Alchemist who had run away from his tribe after being expected to become the next shaman. He was supposed to be highly intelligent and a little bit crazy, but the DM saw Half-Orc and assumed bruiser. He was surprised when my character's solution to everything was to lob bombs at it until there was nothing left. Especially since my character was (falsley) accused of Arson and Terrorism.

About halfway through the campaign we got a chance to redo our characters at a "much higher power level" (in reality, we'd passed from Pathfinder to Exalted about 3 sessions ago) and I reinvisioned my character as a Magus, specifically a dervish dancer (gestalted with Ninja). My DM saw "Half-Orc with a sword," and thought "Bruiser" again. But I turned out to be a leeetlee more crazy than I had been previously (also racial fast healing, because why the F*** not).

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

I was finally able to put together a more appropriate (and coherent ) version for my 4e Spelljammer character, Sledge, who I posted about several pages ago:

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415

My NWoD character:

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the party/Dm sees:
    Spoiler
    Show

What I'm playing:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I made an Irish American associate of the Italian Mafia who kicks the most butt in the party. The party sees him as little more than a MurderHobo. Given recent events, I'm starting to play him as more of a devout monster slayer with the intent on possibly joining the clergy or at least the church's monster slaying faction.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's one from a 4e game I'm currently in in a game set in the League of Legends world.

Spoiler: What I made
    Show

The character is a soldier from the future in what amounts to a fancy magitech iron man suit (refluffed shardmind psion). He got launched into the past by a sudden time rift and shunted into a nexus crystal for 70 years, fusing him to his power suit. His whole gimmick at the start was that he had a tractor beam as his most basic ability, using the telekinesis powers of the psion class to do so.

Here's the long backstory if anyone feels like reading:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Julian Irvine, or Ian for short, was an soldier for Piltover in its future war with Zaun. He came from an long line of scientists, and was expected to follow his families legacy into the field of techmaturgy, but Ian never felt at home in the labs. When he was old enough, he applied to join the Explorer Corps, an organization for exploring the few unmapped places of Runeterra and scouting for the Piltover military. His family, knowing he would not change his decision, grudgingly accepted his planned, and armed him with an experimental pulsefire battle armor for defense. Ian used it to complete his assignments quickly efficiently, and over the years he worked his way up the ranks to eventually become the leading man for battlefield-testing experimental technology. As a highly-valued scientific asset, his assignments became less about fighting Zaun and more about exploring areas considered to be danger zones.

It was on one such assignment that disaster struck. He was sent off to the Southern Wastes to search for relics, bearing an upgraded pulsefire suit with a highly sophisticated, if experimental tractor beam. Ian was inspecting a ruin when a sudden flux of chaotic magic occured, rending time and space asunder and sending him backwards. The rift opened roughly 70 years before the present day, inside the shard of a nexus crystal in Kalamanda. The energies the rift clashed with the nexus fused his body with the armor and the crystal, and he laid dormant inside it until it was unearthed by a mining operation and shipped to the labs of Dr. Mundo. It was here where his prison was eventually destroyed, and he was freed from his stasis. Ian would have been in grave danger had he not been rescued by Keroth, one of Mundo's assistants, when he left the labs to make his own name for himself.

After Ian escaped Noxus, he had the chance to inspect himself, fascinated and terrified by the changes that the magic had wrought. His body was fused with the armor, which was now made of some sort of dark blue crystalline structure. His head is the only part of his body that could be considered "flesh," and even then, he is no longer made of flesh and blood, but something else that looks like it. He no longer needed to sleep, eat, or even breath, but he could if he wished to. The most profound change, however, was not in the body but in his mind. During the maelstrom of magic that flung him back in time, his mind had fused with that of the magitech AI running the armor, granting him increased intelligence as he subconsciously outsources some functions to the machine part of him. Because the intelligence had controlled the pulsefire systems, Ian is currently unable to access most of them, having only unlocked basic functions of the tractor beam as well as parts of his helmet console's abilities, such as headlights and a telepathic beamer allowing him to converse silently. In any case, as he practices, he continues to learn new things about his abilities.

Ian split up with the scientist and decided to forge his own path. For a long time, Ian toyed with the idea of trying to find a way back to the future, but he realized that any future he could return to would have been changed by his own involvement in the world, and so his new goal is simple: work for a better future, starting with thwarting the initial conflict between Zaun and Piltover.

Ian's current cover story is that he is an escaped Zaunite test subject, and claims to have been a homeless orphan when they took him. Keroth is the only man who knows the truth about Ian's pas-er-future.

Spoiler: What the other players saw
    Show

Note: not sure if official OotS art, I just googled Roy and grabbed a pic.

Early on, I was the only person who had a general idea of what to do in situations, so my average Charisma character ended up becoming the de facto leader of the group, and also the party face.

And as it turned out, when we leveled up, there was an at-will power I could take that basically amounted to a fire blast. Cue becoming a walking, talking flamethrower, with my telekinesis stuff being reserved for crowd control and making sure bosses stayed off of the squishies.

Spoiler: What I played
    Show

That scene in Star Trek 4 where Scotty gives future knowledge to the aluminum manufacturer.

When it became apparent that I enjoyed the party face aspect, people were fine with letting me do a large amount of the talking in diplomacy situations. The only problem? No charisma modifier and I only had training in bluff. Each time we leveled up for a few levels, I used the retraining rules to switch some of my stuff to social skills, and I picked up a skill power that let me substitute Arcana for Diplomacy, Bluff, or Intimidate 1/encounter. Through faking good skills, good roleplaying, and coherent ideas, I've managed to do fairly well as the party face.

Ian has currently fostered a working relationship with Viktor by trading future cybernetics knowledge for protection, negotiated with several other people, and ended at least one encounter by giving the enemies a better offer than death. I think as of now, he's owed favors by four mercenaries (formerly five, but one of them was asked to do detective work for me) that I need to call in at some point, and is gradually making friends in high and low places as a result of him leveraging his knowledge with some Zaunite scientists.

27. - Top - End - #417

Spoiler: Image
    Show

I drew the first picture!

Spoiler: Esplanation
    Show
    The first time I ever tried to join a Shadowrun campaign. The GM in question was letting people go with cat people, so I thought I would try to play as a hyenadude enforcer/bounty hunter. Over the course of the (somewhat short) campaign, he ended up more of the team's armorer and technician than an actual Runner, to the point that he would focus almost exclusively on min-maxing the team's gear and nagging random Johnsons on their concealed carry.
    Last edited by Jaycemonde; 2013-10-26 at 04:56 PM.
    vape naesh

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: What I made
    Show

Spoiler: What the GM saw
    Show

Spoiler: What I played
    Show

Show
    Old school Vampire: the Masquerade. The ST wanted us to start as normal humans and other than telling us it was V:tM and set in Brussles, didn't tell us squat about the setting or the plot. He just wanted to see what characters we made and let us squirm and scramble and try to survive to be worthy of Embracing. In case you didn't guess, the setting played the part of Sodom in the second picture while my character (and all the other PCs) played the part of the children - almost literally.
    I ended up being Embraced by Lasombra antitribu in a stronghold of really damn powerful Camarilla, blood bonded two fellow PCs, fooled all players and PCs about my true powers and origins, though trying desperately to avoid all trouble became a bigger combat monster than the party's Gangrel or Brujah, and even took out a warrior auspice Mokole during daytime. With a killer ST.
    All poor Nigel wanted was to be left alone.

29. - Top - End - #419

Spoiler
    Show

M&M 2e. I basically played a somewhat psychopathic living cartoon, with a bunch of cartoon buddies that I could summon to help me. The first thing the DM noticed about the character was her cartoon bombs, which he promptly assumed were the focus of my character. In the end, large amounts of play time for me were trying (and failing) to escape from problems that I had caused.
    Last edited by Mekboy; 2013-10-26 at 07:53 PM.
    Akrim.elf made this avatar. She's awesome like that.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Pixie in the Playground

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been enjoying this thread greatly, so here's my contribution for your amusement.

What I made:
    Spoiler
    Show

What the DM expected me to make:
    Spoiler
    Show

What my character is turning into:
    Spoiler
    Show

Explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My husband is DMing a D&D campaign for me and a group of his friends, based off of 3.5, with a homebrew setting. The premise is 2000 years ago there was a near planet-breaking war to get rid of a race of demi-deities that enslaved pretty much every sentient on the planet. The survivors of the group that managed to genocide that race then split into two factions - one that wanted to pick up where that race left off and rule the world, and the ones that wanted to fix the damage that was done and stay hands-off, other than preventing more breakage from occurring. Since there was a 99% die off of the population during the war, and massive planar and temporal damage in places, the two factions called a sort of Cold War style truce until the world heals up enough that they can have it out without destroying the planet.

Since I'm married to him, when he started the campaign, I was asked to play an agent of the 'trying to fix the world' faction since it would be easier to fill me in on the amount of backstory that sort of character would know, and everyone else would find out more details as they came up in play. Also, the campaign was going to start with her deployed to travel through a known quiet region, practice her infiltration skills, and keep an eye out for trouble of the type that her faction would have to deal with, then meet up with the other players as we all get caught up in messes caused by the enemy faction. So, I created a mage with as many 'spy' spells as I could think of, or utility spells that could be used for combat like 'animate rope'. Ended up with 'acid splash' and 'disrupt undead' as her sole combat only spells.

However, as my handle might suggest, the DM was used to my mage characters in other games being fire-happy nuke machines, and was expecting more of the same. This led to us surviving some scrapes by the skin of our teeth, and the druid's player to insist that my mage needed to learn more combat spells the next chance we got. The cycle continued repeatedly for the first campaign arc - I think she only picked up one buff spell for the rest of that trip. A year and a half of real time later, this conversation happened:

Me: I didn't have enough skill points to learn Divination school spells too. Which of my schools would you want me to drop so I could cast See Invisible? I'm fairly sure we've been finding all the ones I do have useful.
    Druid's Player: Evocation! Then we don't have to worry about getting set on fire!

She hasn't reached full blown Dragon Spooker status yet, but we just hit level 10 two sessions ago. At this rate, it's only a matter of time...
    Last edited by Pyra; 2013-10-27 at 06:42 PM.
    It was a pleasure to burn

Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451