New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Serpentine's Travel Diary Thingo-Whatsit

*raises hand*

I have a question - does Dr Bath actually live in Bath?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    *raises hand*

I have a question - does Dr Bath actually live in Bath?
    can i see Dr Bath's doctorate certificate?

just covering all the bases...
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Colossus in the Playground

New calendar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thurs 6/9: Leave Sussex, get to Wiltshire.
    Fri 7/9: Grlump leaves for France (the bastard), Lesser Minion unavailable
    Sat 8/9: Lesser Minion unavailable until afternoon
    Sun 9/9: Lesser Minion available
    Mon 10/9: Lesser Minion maybe available
    Tues 11/9: Leave Wiltshire, get to London?
    Wed 12/9:
    Thurs 13/9: Flight from London
    Fri 14/9:
    Sat 15/9: Arrive in Sydney
    Sun 16/9:
    Mon 17/9:
    Tues 18/9:
    Wed 19/9:
    Thurs 20/9:
    Fri 21/9: Family event in Sawtell

Lesser Minion, we've got when you are and aren't available, but WHERE are you available for? We're staying in Pewsey, intending to go out to Avebury and Amesbury and also the Uffington Horse and Bath.

4. - Top - End - #424

Dammit!
    So it turns out Uffington is really hard to get to. Literally the only way we can do it with public transport is to get a couple of buses in the morning of Saturday (and Saturday only!) for an hour and a half to get there at 11am, then get the bus back again at 4.20pm for 2.5 hours: 4 hours bus for 5 hours walking around. I'm afraid it's not gonna be worth it Dammit, I really wanted to see the Uffington White Horse.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Lesser Minion, we've got when you are and aren't available, but WHERE are you available for? We're staying in Pewsey, intending to go out to Avebury and Amesbury and also the Uffington Horse and Bath.
    I can get to Bath very easily -- it's a fifteen minute train ride. It looks like I can get to Amesbury and Avebury without much hassle as well.

Also, I double-checked my diary, and I'm actually be free all day Saturday.

6. - Top - End - #426

We may go to the Uffington Horse on Saturday anyway, despite the long journey, if you'd like to come with. Tomorrow we're going to Avebury, but we're walking there, so it may be tricky to meet up - we would expect to get to the town itself by about 2pm, but we can't guarantee it.
    Do you have any idea how open Bath is on a Sunday? I was thinking we'd do it on Monday, but I think everything else might be damn near impossible to get to on Sunday.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

We may go to the Uffington Horse on Saturday anyway, despite the long journey, if you'd like to come with.
    It would be at least an hour and a half from here to Pewsey, so I don't think I'd be able to pull that off .

Do you have any idea how open Bath is on a Sunday? I was thinking we'd do it on Monday, but I think everything else might be damn near impossible to get to on Sunday.
    I'm not particularly sure. I'd imagine that the tourist attractions themselves wouldn't close up early on a Sunday, since they're going to do most of their business on the weekend. The shops will close early, however.

According to Visitbath, the Roman Baths themselves are open the same times on a Sunday as on any other day of the week. It looks like the same is true of quite a few of the other places.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

I can't do the 12th (doctor appt), so looks liek we're missing each other

9. - Top - End - #429
    Barbarian in the Playground

Have you looked into the cost of renting a car, if several of you are going? Split a few ways it might be doable.
    It is what it is unless it is what it isn't. Or isn't what it is. But if it isn't what it isn't then it is what it is.

Dungeon! game currently being run. If this tickles your fancy, and you'd like to be notified when the next round of signups opens, come and say hi in the OOC Thread!

10. - Top - End - #430

Yeah, we discussed that possibility. Trouble is, I only got my P-plates which apparently wouldn't be a problem here except I got them 8 months ago, haven't driven again since, haven't yet driven without a supervising driver, amn't a particularly good driver, and also I am a wuss.

Lesser Minion: Bath on Sunday. Let us organise it. Also Stonehenge Monday if you'd like to join for that.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, we discussed that possibility. Trouble is, I only got my P-plates which apparently wouldn't be a problem here except I got them 8 months ago, haven't driven again since, haven't yet driven without a supervising driver, amn't a particularly good driver, and also I am a wuss.

Lesser Minion: Bath on Sunday. Let us organise it. Also Stonehenge Monday if you'd like to join for that.
    P plates?

is that some crazy aussie thing?
    Spoiler
    Show

The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Sounds good.

For Bath, I assume that the easiest way to do this would be to meet up at the train station or the bus station. What sort of time are you looking at arriving?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    P plates?

is that some crazy aussie thing?
    I imagine it's like the seldom used UK P Plates, used by drivers that have only recently passed their tests.

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    Sounds good.

For Bath, I assume that the easiest way to do this would be to meet up at the train station or the bus station. What sort of time are you looking at arriving?
    That sounds about right - at Bath Spa, specifically, as I understand it.
    Return/cheap tickets appear to be quite limited: we would have to get the train that gets to Bath at 2.30pm, and we would have to get the one back at 8.30pm. So that's straightforward, I guess...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    I imagine it's like the seldom used UK P Plates, used by drivers that have only recently passed their tests.
    Sort of, except that it's legally regulated: in New South Wales (whose rules I despise), you go on your Learner plates for a few years, which mean you have to stay below 80km/hour, always have a supervising driver with a full license, and I think you have no points on your license. Then you do a practical test, and, if you pass, you go on your red Probation plates, during which you have to stay below 90km per hour, have a few points on your license, but can drive on your own, without a supervising driver. Then you go on your green P-plates, but I'm not sure whether the rules change. You always have to show your P-plates. Then after 2 or 3 years between the two P-plates you get your full license (can't remember whether there's a test to do that), which gives you a bunch of points on your license and lets you go at the speed limit.
    In Victoria, you can go the speed limit from the very start, and there's only one set of P-plates. I think Queensland's more or less the same, except you don't have to show the plates.

Thufir and I walked to Avebury today. Very interesting, and lots of blackberries
    (...then we got stranded at Swindon when all the buses stopped and had to get a taxi all the way back again <.<)

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

(...then we got stranded at Swindon when all the buses stopped and had to get a taxi all the way back again <.<)
    Did you get to see the Magic Roundabout?

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Yes, that's the train station.

Return/cheap tickets appear to be quite limited: we would have to get the train that gets to Bath at 2.30pm, and we would have to get the one back at 8.30pm. So that's straightforward, I guess...
    I think most of the attractions in Bath are shut by 1800, and the same goes for shops, so you might want to bring some cards.

Otherwise, I don't think the train tickets should be restrictive at all unless you've booked them in advance, and I don't think they offer much of a discount on advance tickets either (a normal ticket -- an off-peak day return from Swindon to Bath Spa -- is £10.00 according to the national rail enquiries site).

The buses might be more of an issue, however.

As for Monday, It looks like the easiest option is to catch a train down to Salisbury and then take the bus from there.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2012-09-07 at 07:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437

I think most of the attractions in Bath are shut by 1800, and the same goes for shops, so you might want to bring some cards.
    How about places to eat?
    Otherwise, I don't think the train tickets should be restrictive at all unless you've booked them in advance, and I don't think they offer much of a discount on advance tickets either (a normal ticket -- an off-peak day return from Swindon to Bath Spa -- is £10.00 according to the national rail enquiries site).
    I was trying to work out how you got that result from the same site I was using, then I realised: we're coming from Pewsey, not Swindon, and I believe it's tricky to get to and from Swindon on a Sunday (though I'll check). Look up tickets from Pewsey: there is literally only one train to and one train from Bath that are cheap, and the rest cost twice as much. I am quite happy to be proven wrong, though.
    As for Monday, It looks like the easiest option is to catch a train down to Salisbury and then take the bus from there.
    So you're coming to Stonehenge, then?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

How about places to eat?
    There should be some places open.

I believe it's tricky to get to and from Swindon on a Sunday (though I'll check).
    From what I saw, the buses were every three hours. But, yes, I'd expect trains to and from Pewsey itself to be a nightmare (indeed, half of those trains require you to change at Reading, which is why they're so ridiculously slow and expensive).

So you're coming to Stonehenge, then?
    Yes, I am (sorry for completely forgetting to confirm that I am free on Monday).

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Return/cheap tickets appear to be quite limited: we would have to get the train that gets to Bath at 2.30pm, and we would have to get the one back at 8.30pm. So that's straightforward, I guess...Sort of, except that it's legally regulated: in New South Wales (whose rules I despise), you go on your Learner plates for a few years, which mean you have to stay below 80km/hour, always have a supervising driver with a full license, and I think you have no points on your license. Then you do a practical test, and, if you pass, you go on your red Probation plates, during which you have to stay below 90km per hour, have a few points on your license, but can drive on your own, without a supervising driver. Then you go on your green P-plates, but I'm not sure whether the rules change. You always have to show your P-plates. Then after 2 or 3 years between the two P-plates you get your full license (can't remember whether there's a test to do that), which gives you a bunch of points on your license and lets you go at the speed limit.
    In Victoria, you can go the speed limit from the very start, and there's only one set of P-plates. I think Queensland's more or less the same, except you don't have to show the plates.

Thufir and I walked to Avebury today. Very interesting, and lots of blackberries
    yeah... P plates aren't a legal neccectiy here...
    have you passed a driving test and been issued a licence?
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440

I've passed my test and received my red Provisional license. I have an international license which doesn'make and distinction. As the UK has no legal category between learners and full licenses, it seems I effectively have my full license here. Thus the "that doesn't seem to be a problem here". It's everything else that's a problem

Minion: I'll get back to you shortly.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Firbolg in the Playground

Right, we should be in Bath at about 2:30pm tomorrow. See you there.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Old Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Right, we should be in Bath at about 2:30pm tomorrow. See you there.
    Cool, I'll be there.
    Well, I had fun today. Hopefully, tomorrow will be just as enjoyable.

I've looked at the bus and train times for Amesbury (here). At the moment, the train I'm looking at arrives in Salisbury at 1232, so I should be able to get to Amesbury for 1314.

Going the other direction, the X5 from Pewsey (North Street) departs at 1236, and arrives at Amesbury at 1326.

The last bus back (in both directions) is just before 1930.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2012-09-09 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Update with new information

23. - Top - End - #443

Oh, you edited your old post. Well that's... confusing.

I think we'll get the bus before that, to get there about 12.30pm, but we'll keep you updated in case we miss it or whatever. For getting back to Pewsey, we'll actually probably have to get the bus before that one, as we've agreed to be back at 8pm for the B&B dinner, although I may ask if it can be pushed back to 8.30 (wouldn't rely on that, though). Think we've pretty much got it all sorted, though. See you tomorrow!
    Last edited by Serpentine; 2012-09-09 at 06:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

If you do decide to rent a car , just be aware that some cat rental placess might not accept your international licence if you haven't had it for a certain amount of time.
    I know they can be quite picky on things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Firbolg in the Playground

We were never going to rent a car, for the reasons already stated.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

26. - Top - End - #446

For Ashtagon and anyone else whom it may concern, here's what's happening nex couple of days: tomorrow (Tues 12th) Thufir and I will get to Paddington Station at 2.44pm. Succubus won't be coming for us 'til about 5. No known plans rest of the day.
    Wed I'd like to go to the British Museum, maybe also the Library. No definite times, probably heading out preferably midish morning. No known plans for the evening.
    Thurs I was thinking Gormet Burger with Archie for lunch. No other plans for morning/early arvo. Plane leaves at 10, want to be at airport 8pm at the latest.

So that's what I've got. Anyone wants to insert themselves in anywhere that's great. In case I can't get back in a timely manner, Archonic_energy and The Succubus (among others) have my number and my permission to hand it over on request.

27. - Top - End - #447

Plan for tomorrow (Wed 12th), in case anyone else in London wants to come with!

We meet at Tottenham Court Road Station at 11.30am, then go to the British Museum. Dunno 'bout anyone else, but I'll probably be wearing red and black with a dark grey skirt. My phone number is zero seven five three eight three two four four seven six (dear scammers and creepers: don't even bother, I stop using it in two days). Anyone's welcome, 'specially people I like

28. - Top - End - #448

BlackDragon

zero seven five three eight three two four four seven six
    Aha!!

(dear scammers and creepers: don't even bother, I stop using it in two days)
    ...darn it.

Seriously, would love to be there but am currently on holiday in Norfolk with Aged Parent...don't think she'd be very happy if I disappeared for the day and left her here alone!

29. - Top - End - #449

Ashtagon, and anyone else in Nodnol: Tomorrow (the 13th) we'll be meeting at Mornington Crescent Station tomorrow at 10.30am to find a pub and play the OotS game for a few hours, if you'd like to come with. You can find my phone number... one post up, actually, as Factotum quoted me.

Anyone in Sydney: I'll be hanging around Central Station for a couple of hours somewhere between 8am (when my flight gets in) and 11am (when my train checks in), if anyone would care to join me for breakfast. My Australian phone number (assuming it still works) is zero four two three three nine four four six three. Please don't creepify or spamify me.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Ashtagon, and anyone else in Nodnol: Tomorrow (the 13th) we'll be meeting at Mornington Crescent Station tomorrow at 10.30am to find a pub and play the OotS game for a few hours, if you'd like to come with. You can find my phone number... one post up, actually, as Factotum quoted me.
    A little disappointed that you're not playing Mornington Crescent, too. Oh well.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.