New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 21: Time To Go Bar-Hopping

Quote Originally Posted by rogueboy View Post
    In that case... Go! I give you 2 days to do something with whichever you want to make your move on first. That means you have until... ok, I have no idea what time zone you're in, but mid-afternoon EST. Make it happen!

• Bonus points if you make it happen in 1 day.
    • If you fail to make it happen in 2 days, I'll have to figure out a punishment for you. Don't make me figure out a punishment for you.
    1. I live in Central Ohio, so EST was a good decision.

2. Uh... that's good, cause I don't see C until Thursday anyways.

3. Get thinkin', you may need one.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    1. I live in Central Ohio, so EST was a good decision.

2. Uh... that's good, cause I don't see C until Thursday anyways.

3. Get thinkin', you may need one.
    1. Hurray for same time zones!

2. That's why I gave you 2 days.

3. You don't want me to come up with one. I mean, 2 days ago, I destroyed a friend's ankle. And that was WITHOUT her requiring punishment (at least as far as I know ). Don't make me come find you. Ok, fine, it was an accident while playing soccer. That's not the point here, though!

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    you're like a male Felicia Day
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Witch doctors might tell you "ooh ee ooh ah ah ting tang wallawalla bing bang", but they give you that for everything, so most of us consider it a ridiculous scam.
    When you're flopping about uncertainly like a Magikarp that just got sent in against a level 60 Venusaur, just go back to the basics.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    How is she going about doing this? How are you reacting?
    She's just being really grumpy all the time when she talks to me now, and is constantly accusing me of being grumpy and just generally being unpleasant. Which is a big change from how she used to be like.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

4. - Top - End - #724
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    She's just being really grumpy all the time when she talks to me now, and is constantly accusing me of being grumpy and just generally being unpleasant. Which is a big change from how she used to be like.
    You guys have a break of communications for a bit to "cool down" or what have you?

If not, might be something to try.

And is this primarily through the written word or audio? Because one of the things about the written word is that a lot of what we read as far as tone from what others write actually comes from our own mood and feelings, due to the general lack of non-verbal cues. At least, I recall reading something about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

5. - Top - End - #725
    Ogre in the Playground

@arguskos: I recall that we live in the same city. Tell me where to be and I can come light a fire under you in the most literal sense

6. - Top - End - #726
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys have a break of communications for a bit to "cool down" or what have you?

If not, might be something to try.

And is this primarily through the written word or audio? Because one of the things about the written word is that a lot of what we read as far as tone from what others write actually comes from our own mood and feelings, due to the general lack of non-verbal cues. At least, I recall reading something about that.
    She said to me "well I'll leave you alone for a lil while". That consisted of about an hour. Now she's being all grumpy and passive aggressive and saying stuff like "WELL THAT WAS A SHORT LIVED FRIENDSHIP" and "GEEZ I JUST WANT YOU TO TALK TO ME NORMALLY", "WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO AWKWARD".

And yeah. It's stressing me out. I've asked her to stop trying to guilt trip me and that made her even more pissy. sigh.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

And yeah. It's stressing me out. I've asked her to stop trying to guilt trip me and that made her even more pissy. sigh.
    Could I ask you a question? When you said "friendzoning", exactly how open was the subject of romance at the time?

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

@arguskos: I recall that we live in the same city. Tell me where to be and I can come light a fire under you in the most literal sense
    I keep wanting to meet you at some point. Also, if you ever come up to Delaware (I go to Ohio Wesleyan via commuting these days), let me know and you can light whatever fires might be needed.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

I will probably never have an external reason to be in Delaware, but PM me and I can give you whatever contact info you need.

Or you could just join the GitP Facebook group. We're a lot of fun. Except when there's drama.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ancano View Post
    I met a cute girl at a Magic: The Gathering draft that a friend of mine was holding. It turns out she used to date the friend in question, and while they weren't on great terms, they could tolerate playing magic at the same table. I was just wondering how appropriate/inappropriate it would be to make advances on her; it seems like she and my friend were dating until rather recently.
    Ask your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Ok, I'm rambling now. Someone just tell me something, make me act, because I won't on my own, due to cowardice and pessimism. X_X
    *clicks lighter*

If rogueboy's approach didn't work, I'm getting in line!

She said to me "well I'll leave you alone for a lil while". That consisted of about an hour. Now she's being all grumpy and passive aggressive and saying stuff like "WELL THAT WAS A SHORT LIVED FRIENDSHIP" and "GEEZ I JUST WANT YOU TO TALK TO ME NORMALLY", "WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO AWKWARD".

I'd say, stop talking to her. Take it all on you that you're kinda torn up about this whole thing, and you need some time to clear your head. Cue a period of non-communication in which she'll hopefully calm down.

Or, if you want to confront her again, use a very "me-focused" approach. Don't tell her to stop guilt-tripping, because she probably doesn't agree that that's what she's doing, so you just come across as inconsiderate and accusative. If you confront her, focus on how you're feeling instead of what she's doing. If she's not a total psychopath, she'll relate and hopefully do something about it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    The true dichotemy
    The two statements were unrelated! I meant to... Nevermind... I'm not very good at expressing myself... which is part of why I don't want to make a mess of this....

The following rules are integral to any roleplaying game:
    Rule 0: The Gamesmaster is always right.
    Rule 7: Do not take the piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Belkar is 4chan.
    CE sociopath with a surprising number of fans; loves cats. Sometimes amusing.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't you hate it when one friend pisses another friend off and so the pissed off friend actively avoids you? For the foreseeable future?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Bugbear in the Playground

So I told a girl last night that I like her, in what i thought was a pretty unambiguous way. Her response? "Well I already know that silly. It would be pretty stupid if people hung around people they didn't like."

Polite rejection by deflection, or is she actually that oblivious? You decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    So I told a girl last night that I like her, in what i thought was a pretty unambiguous way. Her response? "Well I already know that silly. It would be pretty stupid if people hung around people they didn't like."

Polite rejection by deflection, or is she actually that oblivious? You decide.
    How unambiguous was unambiguous? Was it "Ya know, having spent a lot of time with you in the last *insert amount of time here*, I've come to realize that I like you, and not just as a friend" or was it "Ya know, I really like you, a lot". If the second, it could possibly be just she's oblivious.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

You must have been too ambiguous.

Or she might have a case of anime hero syndrome. It appears to be spreading.

16. - Top - End - #736

Well, she was listing her friends on FB chat and asking me which of them I'd *ahem*, and reasons why or why not. She got to herself, and I said yes, "because you're, well, you." She asked me what I meant by that, and I said "Well, S, I *like* you".

Perhaps it was the medium at fault.
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

Marill, did you try to tell someone your feelings

Over Facebook chat

THAT IS A PROBLEM

Although I think telling her you wanted to her is a good step. Now you just have to be clearer on why!

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    Well, she was listing her friends on FB chat and asking me which of them I'd *ahem*, and reasons why or why not. She got to herself, and I said yes, "because you're, well, you." She asked me what I meant by that, and I said "Well, S, I *like* you".

Perhaps it was the medium at fault.
    Eh, given that the subject was more focused on aheming, I could see that being ambiguous?
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

19. - Top - End - #739

Marill, did you try to tell someone your feelings

Over Facebook chat

THAT IS A PROBLEM

Although I think telling her you wanted to her is a good step. Now you just have to be clearer on why!
    Heh, the opportunity presented itself, so I did it. If there's one thing I've learned from years of "Not now, it's not the right moment", it's that there IS no right moment.

20. - Top - End - #740

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_Ikari View Post
    Eh, given that the subject was more focused on aheming, I could see that being ambiguous?
    Wait. What?

Girl: Would you have sex with me?
    Guy: Yes, because I like you.

That's ambiguous now?

I mean, it is a rather silly phraseology. And a rather silly question if one weren't doing it with an obvious ulterior motive...
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-02-22 at 11:40 PM.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait. What?

That's ambiguous now?
    You never know. The stereotypical guy these days (not actual guy, just a stereotypical one) desires to stick Mr. Grayson (or, if you prefer, Mr. Tracy) into every female he meets.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait. What?

That's ambiguous now?

I mean, it is a rather silly phraseology. And a rather silly question if one weren't doing it with an obvious ulterior motive...
    I dunno. I suppose, in my experiences, people are much less selective when it comes to who they'd sex as opposed to who they'd romance. *shrugs*

See also any argument about why (straight) girls and guys can't be friends (That is, that apparently, most guys would sleep with any of their female friends, and most girls are not surprised that their male friends would sleep with them given the chance).
    Cobra Avatar by the lovely Miss Nobody.

23. - Top - End - #743

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    You never know. The stereotypical guy these days (not actual guy, just a stereotypical one) desires to stick Mr. Grayson (or, if you prefer, Mr. Tracy) into every female he meets.
    However, "Because I like you" would not be the usual reason given when responding in the "horndog" vein. It'd be the more usual physical descriptors, like "cuz yer hawt" or "cuz you have great secondary sexual characteristics."

Further, actually asking the question directly about one's self is sufficiently unusual that one would think either there was something wrong with the person asking or that they had an ulterior motive in asking, so they'd actually consider the response they were given.

But, yes, it is the Silly Coidzor that considers that someone who is ostensibly someone else's friend would consider anything other than the lowest, most crass, and nonsensical stereotypical interpretation possible.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-02-23 at 04:43 AM.
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #744
    Ettin in the Playground

But, yes, it is the Silly Coidzor that considers that someone who is ostensibly someone else's friend would consider anything other than the lowest, most crass, and nonsensical stereotypical interpretation possible.
    I remember watching an episode of "The Talk," where Sharon Osbourne, Carrie from The King Of Queens, Generic Black Woman and Generic Asian Woman were talking about guys with female friends and vice-versa. The other three were trying to convince Generic Asian Woman that she shouldn't have male friends who were too close, because any of them would totally sleep with her if she offered to. I've actually researched this, and read a lot of books by women about men. Pretty much all of them subscribe some version of the "men are all freaky horndogs who want to stick it in as many things as possible" theory.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

I remember watching an episode of "The Talk," where Sharon Osbourne, Carrie from The King Of Queens, Generic Black Woman and Generic Asian Woman were talking about guys with female friends and vice-versa. The other three were trying to convince Generic Asian Woman that she shouldn't have male friends who were too close, because any of them would totally sleep with her if she offered to. I've actually researched this, and read a lot of books by women about men. Pretty much all of them subscribe some version of the "men are all freaky horndogs who want to stick it in as many things as possible" theory.
    I must admit, even if that theory holds true, I don't really see how that should lead to no male friends. I mean, it's not like "I'd do it if given the chance" equals rape or endless pining.

Someone explain?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    I must admit, even if that theory holds true, I don't really see how that should lead to no male friends. I mean, it's not like "I'd do it if given the chance" equals rape or endless pining.

Someone explain?
    Something to do with the fact that Generic Asian Woman was married, I guess.

27. - Top - End - #747

Hmmm, looks like I'm not going to get any response at all from the girl I sent a rose to for Valentine's. I know it's not that big a deal and that she doesn't owe me a response or anything, but I would like to know how it was received, you know? But no reaction at all, neither even a 'thank you' nor a 'go away'.

I'm kind of reluctant to ask her about it, so chances are I'll never find out. It's like it never happened.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

@Form: Sucks, man. How well do you know her? If she's a friend, you should bring it up. Every proposition deserves an answer, even if the answer is a "**** no!".

Given that's how you interpret everything posted by anyone on this forum ever, you must not like us very much!

Most people I've known are perfectly able to handle being friends with someone who is attracted to them. The only issues seem to arise when that fact affects the behavior of the person who is attracted to the other. As long as you don't continually act as if you're expecting the other person to be a possible romantic partner, really, a friendship can survive a one-way attraction as if there was nothing wrong at all.

The stereotype about guys being horndogs has a little truth to it. Because, in our cultural perception, the male has a much higher chance of "enjoying" any given sexual encounter, casual sex has a much higher reward/risk function. If girls had the same high reward chance, then they'd be just as bad (check studies done with girls who like girls: they pretty much come right back to level with guys). So, basically, the lesson here is that we're ALL horndogs. And once we can accept that we're all horndogs, we can get past it and continue to live exactly as comfortably as we do now. Because if every other animal in the world can deal with it, I bet we can too.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Troll in the Playground

The funny thing is that a lot of men believe it too. If I had ten euros for every man I've have to basically reassure that not being attracted to everything is not bad, is not a diminishment of his masculinity, and it doesn't make him weird... I'd probably have like half of the price of that PS3 I want to buy saved already. Most guys will act as if they'd hit everything even if they wouldn't, because hell, that's what guys are supposed to do, right?

30. - Top - End - #750

NecromancerGuy

1. If this person subscribed to that belief, why would she ask and why would she be friends with him?
    2. This belief system you're discussing sounds more like it's expecting justification based on physical things rather than justification based upon feelings. Which is what I was getting at in the first place.

Given that's how you interpret everything posted by anyone on this forum ever, you must not like us very much!
    No, it's not.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-02-23 at 04:08 PM.
    Homebrew