New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The absolute worst class of all time (you haven't seen this one before)

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    He also has in fact performed significant actions of his own (pretty much all of Interesting Times, defeating Coin.. although by D&D standards that one probably falls under the "if you beat this it was probably a complete fluke. Congratulate your players on still being alive but don't give them XP" clause) and if story/chapter completion XP is assumed to be a thing, he has spades of that too.
    He also killed Cthulhu with a brick in a sock.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: The absolute worst class of all time (you haven't seen this one before)

Isn't Gandalf better statted as a level 6 or level 5 paladin than a level 6 or level 5 wizard?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Isn't Gandalf better statted as a level 6 or level 5 paladin than a level 6 or level 5 wizard?
    I prefer Bard myself. Isn't his main shtick Inspire Courage (Oratory) and Bardic Knowledge Lore?

Of course, he's still a Solar in addition to his class levels; he's just forbidden from using those abilities unless he's up against a Balor or something similar.

Meanwhile, Narya is a reslotted Badge of Valor...
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-12-31 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    I prefer Bard myself. Isn't his main shtick Inspire Courage (Oratory) and Bardic Knowledge Lore?
    Not to mention that the bard spell list covers pretty much every bit of magic he performs.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2011-12-31 at 05:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well, I haven't looked at many classes on that wiki, but I have seen the races..

People seem to give out extremely overpowered abilities for a really low LA -OR- Use a high LA to justify insane abilities.

Like these guys, who can manipulate reality as a full-round action.
    Last edited by Zale; 2011-12-31 at 06:23 PM.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Well, I haven't looked at many classes on that wiki, but I have seen the races..

People seem to give out extremely overpowered abilities for a really low LA -OR- Use a high LA to justify insane abilities.

Like these guys, who can manipulate reality as a full-round action.
    Reading that has caused my IQ to drop. What purpose is there to write up a race whose abilities are literally "whatever they want"? It's like he is trying to template Mary Sues.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGlock View Post
    Reading that has caused my IQ to drop. What purpose is there to write up a race whose abilities are literally "whatever they want"? It's like he is trying to template Mary Sues.
    You guys should read more carefully -- it's clearly balanced if you look at RAW:

Ictheyin rarely use their Reality Rewrite ability, instead often limiting their powers, that tasks do not become too easy for them.
    See?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorGlock View Post
    I thought it was some kind of fish race when I clicked it.

Ictheyin? Sounds sorta fish-like.

There's about twelve or so sub-races of elf on there too.

And a skinless humanoid destined to be chaotic stupid. With +10 Strength. At LA 0.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Gandalf was not a 5th level wizard. Gandalf was a 20+ leveled Gish/demigod. Things you read at the Alexandrian should not be taken seriously without looking at the sources for yourself.
    Speaking of looking at the sources, perhaps you should heed your own advice. Nobody mentioned the Alexandrian, & that link leads elsewhere.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Am I the only one who feels there's something vaguely wrong with this race?

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought it was some kind of fish race when I clicked it.

Ictheyin? Sounds sorta fish-like.

There's about twelve or so sub-races of elf on there too.

And a skinless humanoid destined to be chaotic stupid. With +10 Strength. At LA 0.
    But they are CLEARLY balanced! I would actually say they are a bit underpowered; a -4 to Con and a -6 to Dex means that they are going to be flimsier than other races AND will have less HP.

Let's see... You have to spend A LOT of their point buy into stats that are incredibly important for your little melee characters, and it's not as if they can do ranged, what with their -6 to Dexterity.

So, yeah, they wanted LA +0 and massive Str, but FAILED at balance the opposite direction.

Good job continuing the stereotype, stupid writer!

And I have feeling that the not-at-all-fish were an attempt to model deities as a race. Whoever wrote that was a stupid git. Either that, or a DM tired of having his players kill his gods/important NPCs...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

To be fair, the 'Reality Rewriters' race has LA: n/a, so it's not a playable race. They're not Mary Sue given stats, they're Deus Ex Machina incarnate.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2011-12-31 at 07:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

While I was staring at the baffling sexism, the absolutely broken stats (LA 0? Really??) snuck up behind me and smashed my head in with a baseball bat. Fortunately, the author appears to be thoughtful and was aware of the problems with his work (in the Discussion tab), so I can respect that he's probably improved significantly since 2008.

I think it's safe to conclude that homebrewing is extremely difficult.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    I think it's safe to conclude that homebrewing is extremely difficult.
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Except perhaps words detailing the adorableness of kittens.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

well,
    It was a bad idea on my part. I think that this might be one of those ideas of mine which is destined for the trash heap. --Noname 10:35, 28 March 2009 (MDT)
    but see, this is why peer review.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

My... My god. "The women are often neutral in all ways, but are evil more than good, and far chaotic more than lawful." They're sexism incarnate! I'm horrified!
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Speaking of looking at the sources, perhaps you should heed your own advice. Nobody mentioned the Alexandrian, & that link leads elsewhere.
    It's where that Tom-foolery was codified, therefore anytime someone mentions it, he gets blamed.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Secrets View Post
    I don't know, "Imitate Spell" is kind of ridiculously awesome once you get it at lvl 5, effectively spontaneous casting off the entire Sor/Wiz list.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Read the talk page.

It's supposed to be balanced around making up new effects for your spells, like "ray of frost freezes enemies solid if you use enough at the same time".
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-01-01 at 06:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Read the talk page.

It's supposed to be balanced around making up new effects for your spells, like "ray of frost freezes enemies solid if you use enough at the same time".
    The talk page doesn't say anything about Imitate Spell that I can see.......

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

No, Imitate Spell is unrelated (and wasn't always there), I mean you were supposed to be able to do that anyway without a rule for it. By being clever.

The first block of text mentions Imitate Spell.
    An earlier version of the class allowed you to learn a spell of any level as a cantrip if you reduced its effects, with no further explanation.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-01-01 at 06:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I can't balance for crap, but.. Enter the Arcanist!

Arcanist Empowerment: This ability allows the Arcanist to add his age to numerical values of his spells. (example: Dargus, the Evo-Arcanist, Usesw his Magic Missile spell at level 1. The spell causes 2 missiles to strike the target at 1d4+1+his age in damage. As he is a human arcanist and rolled in at 27 years old, his magic missiles each do 29-32 damage each.) This ability is why the creator recommends only allowing humans.
    So Mage armor for a, oh, 300 year old elf arcanist would give you... 304 AC!

Unless I'm really missing something here.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Recommended only humans eh? *plays a human lich*

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Or an Elan.

A five thousand year old one.

I could kill entire Pantheons with magic missiles.

26. - Top - End - #86

Or an Elan.

A five thousand year old one.

I could kill entire Pantheons with magic missiles.
    Gods can effectively have most buff spells up 24/7 as a default. Shield renders your Magic Missile storm useless. Mindrape + Love's Pain, however....

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Gods can effectively have most buff spells up 24/7 as a default. Shield renders your Magic Missile storm useless. Mindrape + Love's Pain, however....
    Disintegrate then.

Passed the Fort Save?

Well take 5d6 + 5000 damage.

Is there any spell that can't be improved by adding 5000 to it's numeric values?

28. - Top - End - #88

Is there any spell that can't be improved by adding 5000 to it's numeric values?
    Yeah, most area of effect spells. You need LoS/LoE to the target, and now the Radius is now... prohibitive, to say the least. The Range gets boosted too, but is only effectively useful right on the extreme edge of that or it'll catch you too.

Also, Celerity now Dazes you for a month. Have fun with that!

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yeah, most area of effect spells. You need LoS/LoE to the target, and now the Radius is now... prohibitive, to say the least. The Range gets boosted too, but is only effectively useful right on the extreme edge of that or it'll catch you too.

Ouch.

I retract my previous statement.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground

your next turn isn't numberical. "a" standard action, on the other hand...