New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The absolute worst class of all time (you haven't seen this one before)

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    your next turn isn't numberical. "a" standard action, on the other hand...
    I'm AFB so I can't check the wording, but I expect you'd gain 5000 standard actions and then be dazed for 5000 rounds.

But with a dimmer view of "numerical", then "a" doesn't qualify. Neither would "single", "couple", "none", or "myriad" - even though each of those can be rephrased numerically, they aren't themselves numbers.

But even then, summons would take 5000 rounds to cast. WITHOUT that limit, any spell that takes "a standard action" or even "a swift action" to cast now takes... well, you figure it out.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The absolute worst class of all time (you haven't seen this one before)

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    I can't balance for crap, but.. Enter the Arcanist!

So Mage armor for a, oh, 300 year old elf arcanist would give you... 304 AC!

Unless I'm really missing something here.
    Tragically, no.

Other ways of breaking this include casting poison, enervation,, and touch of idiocy.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    I'm AFB so I can't check the wording, but I expect you'd gain 5000 standard actions and then be dazed for 5000 rounds.

But with a dimmer view of "numerical", then "a" doesn't qualify. Neither would "single", "couple", "none", or "myriad" - even though each of those can be rephrased numerically, they aren't themselves numbers.

But even then, summons would take 5000 rounds to cast. WITHOUT that limit, any spell that takes "a standard action" or even "a swift action" to cast now takes... well, you figure it out.
    1 immediate action, actually. so you'll need 5001 immediates to cast celerity.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane_Secrets View Post
    Tragically, no.

Other ways of breaking this include casting poison, enervation,, and touch of idiocy.
    In general, casting a spell with numeric values breaks this class. It's almost as bad as Tainted Scholar in that it scales by a nearly limitless number (BECOME LICH, ENTER FAST TIME PROGRESSION PLANE, HAVE FUN!), but unlike with Tainted Scholar, it's not limited in what it scales. *sigh*
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-01-01 at 08:56 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

necropolitan works, too!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

The spell attached to the Uplift class is interesting. So apparently if awaken is cast on the uplift it can gain a higher Int and actually be able to speak, something several people in this thread have complained about.

However, awaken is Drd 5 and costs XP, while this spell is Drd 4. I'm not sure why any character would want to burn XP on one of these things.
    Bogard the Barbarian, my first D&D character! Revel in his unbelievably overpowered equipment!
    (Our GM never got the hang of treasure tables)

Also read The Ballad of Bogard, his backstory sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    In general, casting a spell with numeric values breaks this class. It's almost as bad as Tainted Scholar in that it scales by a nearly limitless number (BECOME LICH, ENTER FAST TIME PROGRESSION PLANE, HAVE FUN!), but unlike with Tainted Scholar, it's not limited in what it scales. *sigh*
    I think the best part is, a few lines after recommending that only humans be allowed to take the class, a elven arcanist is quoted, exploiting that very gimmick.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bogard View Post
    The spell attached to the Uplift class is interesting. So apparently if awaken is cast on the uplift it can gain a higher Int and actually be able to speak, something several people in this thread have complained about.

However, awaken is Drd 5 and costs XP, while this spell is Drd 4. I'm not sure why any character would want to burn XP on one of these things.
    An uplifted is apparently not sentient, despite having a humanoid form, since the spell is a Polymorph effect. If you want a sentient servant, you will need to Awaken it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

That Wiki's homebrew section is 90% crap.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    That Wiki's homebrew section is 90% crap.
    Only 90%? I think you give it too much credit...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Only 90%? I think you give it too much credit...
    Last I checked, the Wiki was cross-hosting the Tomes material. If so, there's the 10%.

Of course, YMMV on the Tome material itself.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    An uplifted is apparently not sentient, despite having a humanoid form, since the spell is a Polymorph effect. If you want a sentient servant, you will need to Awaken it.
    I don't know, I think its trying to imply that an Uplift in in a state of semi-sentience, or something. Since an Uplift can learn to speak on its own by spending two skill points and all. Without awaken, each individual's sentience is dependent on their own willpower.
    Bogard the Barbarian, my first D&D character! Revel in his unbelievably overpowered equipment!

Also read The Ballad of Bogard, his backstory sung to the tune of Gilligan's Island!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Conceptually, you could invest in making the Uplifted stronger so you could gain more experience from killing it to offset the experience that you invested. That's like a niche of a niche of a use, though, and probably requires several DM adjudications to work.

Also, Dragon Warrior 4 spoiler,
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's Healy.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post

Casting time isn't an effect, so that wouldn't be added to.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

This class also isn't proficient with "any" weapon. Without optimization, it probably couldn't even hit something, let alone kill it. The "instinct" is the closest thing this class has to a game-breaker, but I can't find a creature feat that would be really, really useful.

Also, missmvicious is probably right. The page even lampshades it: "They do not tend to live very long."
    The best I found so far for instinct was flyby attack. Add a magic item that gives temporary flight X/day and you have an ok hit and run combatant. Awesome blow + some method of large size is another option, though I dunno whether or not there are animals with awesome blow; I'd imagine there's one somewhere.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2012-01-02 at 05:21 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Conceptually, you could invest in making the Uplifted stronger so you could gain more experience from killing it to offset the experience that you invested. That's like a niche of a niche of a use, though, and probably requires several DM adjudications to work.

Also, Dragon Warrior 4 spoiler,
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's Healy.
    It worries me that a class's main benefits can barely -- with luck -- offset its drawbacks.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    The best I found so far for instinct was flyby attack. Add a magic item that gives temporary flight X/day and you have an ok hit and run combatant. Awesome blow + some method of large size is another option, though I dunno whether or not there are animals with awesome blow; I'd imagine there's one somewhere.
    The tarrasque has Awesome Blow, though the fact that the spellcaster needs to pass a Will Save to convert the creature and on top of that the creature can negate with a fortitude save means that a tarrasque would be astronomically difficult to uplift. But of course we're talking hypothetically here anyway.

I agree that flyby attack is a great choice for the bonus feat though. Maybe add improved initiative and something that increases speed through offset flaws. If there was a way to move after attacking would be nice too.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

You know what breaks the Uplift?

Aspect of the Wolf+Feeblemind+Uplift Creature=You can uplift ANY creature.

Then use Heal on that little thing to give it back its intellect.

You know, or smack them with a Bestow Greater Curse... Mmm... Int 1 with barely a problem.

And that's pretty easy to remove, as well.

Only problem is that Aspect of the Wolf is Personal in range, but, well... the prereqs for a Spellguard of Silverymoon are so easy to get into... sure, it means that you don't actually gain any advancement to your spellcasting, but do this in Gestalt/on a cohort...

And the 4th level class feature for a Spellguard of Silverymoon is... the ability to use Personal range "defensive" spells as a Touch spell. So the spell has to give a bonus to AC, to Saves, or extra HP (the ability specifies this), and, hey, lookit that, it sets your Con to that of a Wolf, which, after another casting of Bestow Greater Curse, is ALWAYS a bonus to HP (which is one of the cases allowed in the Spellguard class feature).

So, as long as you can get an allied creature (one that, say, wanted to be a Human for some reason/plot) to willingly accept a pair of Curses, you can cast this spell on them and then Uplift them into bliss.

And then...

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    The Tarrasque. A level dip gets you Awesome Blow.

So... a level dip in a sucky class to get an Epic feat...

Wait, I can do it one better: You are an Uplifted Elder Titan. Your Instinct feat is Epic Spellcasting. Note that, while this is against flavor, this is TOTALLY allowed by the crunch.

Or, for other types of fun... a couple other Epic beasties would grant stuff like Spell Stowaway of your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!