New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Changing the physics of a world?

Have you ever made a world were things you take for granted are changed or absent?
    I have had an idea of a world where there is no inertia. It would effect so much though I fear players would get very confused and easily frustrated (and I doubt anyone would wanna play it anyway, but I think it's an interesting thought experiment).

Many things wouldn't work (at least not in the normal way). Like:
    Jumping
    Ranged attacks
    Sense of balance (that is assuming humanoids came from our universe and did not evolve there).
    Falling damage
    .... some more stuff I am sure I can't think of right now.

The lack of ranged attacks alone would make things very unusual and interesting.
    Of course if magic is still fully functional, casters would be even more powerful.
    Some countries could hold a position of power solely because they have developed jet powered projectiles.
    Magical beasts that have developed similar ranged attacks, would be feared solely for this completely unusual ability.
    Imagine all those computer games where the character can't jump... this is the place ^^

Let me hear what strange ideas you had about the very fabric of the world. Or you can also comment on this one if you like :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Changing the physics of a world?

This is sort of what Planar traits amount to.

Usually, the closest thing I'll do to this is have the physical laws of a world function largely the same as ours, but for distinctly different reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.