New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default S. Holmes: A Game Of Shadows

Non spoilers: This movie was absolutely ace and you should totally watch it.

Actual spoilers below

Just got back from the first day screening and absolutely loved it. A brilliant adaptation. I admit, I was worried when I heard the premise. In the book, the first time Moriarty entered the scene was when his empire was already crumbling and he was out for revenge. Further, a lot of the book takes place through the medium of letters. A straight up conversion would have been awful (and a lot of Holmes movies are awful). I was also worried by the past film - I liked that one, but I wasn't sure how they'd handle the iconic villain.

But the way it worked out was ace. Best movie I've seen in a real while. Consistently hilarious, wonderfully paced, fantastic action scenes. Moriarty had an absolutely sublime establish-villainy scene. It takes real skill to make Victorian era firearms seem as menacing as modern assault rifles, but they managed it - the shootouts were as intense as anything out of the 21st century.

But best of all was the homosexual subtext. That was really what made the entire movie. Never called attention to directly, completely misdirected from both the characters, but I was not expecting to see Holmes and Watson waltzing on the big screen. I was impressed at how well they did that; somehow absolutely confirmed and absolutely denied at the same time. Goodness.

Anyone else see it? What did you think?
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-05 at 02:41 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: S. Holmes: A Game Of Shadows

Yes, it's a cool enough sequel, but I prefer the first movie. The case is simply cooler for me. Really just that.

and spoiler

Spoiler
    Show
    I kept waiting for Irene Adler to pop out and show that her apparent death is just another ruse. I can't believe they simply killed her like that. Even now, I still wonder if they're going to make her appear in the third movie, if there ever any plan for another sequel.
    Last edited by Fri; 2012-01-05 at 04:43 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Non spoilers: This movie was absolutely ace and you should totally watch it.

Anyone else see it? What did you think?

And how I liked it... Good action, a good adaption of the books and great actors.
    I really liked Mycroft, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle never quite managed to explain the character to me, however after seeing the movie i reread some old parts again and I start to like him, awkward yet brilliant.

And I really liked the part in the train. Had to rewatch the trailer a few dozen times just to see it again. I will definitly buy the blu ray once available.
    Last edited by Bouregard; 2012-01-05 at 05:14 AM.
    Two rules get you through life:
    1. If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it.
    2. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Daemon

I don't think they are planning on making a three-quel. Nobody's confirmed it like they instantly did for the 2nd film. Besides who would Holmes fight. They killed Moriarty.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    I don't think they are planning on making a three-quel. Nobody's confirmed it like they instantly did for the 2nd film. Besides who would Holmes fight. They killed Moriarty.
    Holmes survived the fall.. its quite possible Moriarty did too. He did in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, for instance...

Alternatively, he could be cloned in the distant future as Sherlock Holmes is revitalized after being preserved for centuries in beeswax

SHERLOCK HOLMES THREE: THE TWENTY SECOND CENTURY
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

This movie made me so happy I exploded.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    The Hound of the Baskervilles!

I have no idea how they'd do that story in this series' style. But I can imagine Holmes slow-motion predict-fighting a giant dog. And that would be the greatest thing ever.

It tries to bite me. Because it's a dog. Punch to the muzzle. It tries to bite me again. Because it's a dog. Run screaming over treacherous bog water...
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-05 at 06:22 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

The Hound of the Baskervilles!

I have no idea how they'd do that story in this series' style. But I can imagine Holmes slow-motion predict-fighting a giant dog. And that would be the greatest thing ever.

It tries to bite me. Because it's a dog. Punch to the muzzle. It tries to bite me again. Because it's a dog. Run screaming over treacherous bog water...
    I can't draw, but I NEED to draw this.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    I can't draw, but I NEED to draw this.
    Give me a few days to get home to my tablet and I'll see what I can do

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Holmes survived the fall.. its quite possible Moriarty did too. He did in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, for instance...

Alternatively, he could be cloned in the distant future as Sherlock Holmes is revitalized after being preserved for centuries in beeswax

It was honey, actually.
    [/lovedthatshowasakid]

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heh, I remember that show. I wonder now if it was any good... it's not like I could tell at the age I was then.

Nothing to say about the movie, I'm afraid, as I haven't seen it yet.
    Last edited by Teron; 2012-01-05 at 07:13 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

But best of all was the homosexual subtext. That was really what made the entire movie. Never called attention to directly, completely misdirected from both the characters, but I was not expecting to see Holmes and Watson waltzing on the big screen. I was impressed at how well they did that; somehow absolutely confirmed and absolutely denied at the same time.
    Two men dancing is not necessarily homosexual. Especially when it is just a cover for them to discuss their plan in the middle of a formal ballroom.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

True, two men dancing is not necessarily homosexual. And Watson was getting married. Still, this movie seemed to me to be even less heterosexual than the first. And it was excellent.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Two men dancing is not necessarily homosexual. Especially when it is just a cover for them to discuss their plan in the middle of a formal ballroom.
    Oh sure. There's a perfectly innocent explanation. And the whole kidnapping him from his wife to take him honeymooning in Paris, constantly asking if Watson enjoyed this more than he would have his honeymoon, the crossdressing, the "I'm sure he would have preferred to come with us" when discussing the honeymoon...

Oh, sure, it was all business. It was all completely innocent. That's what makes it excellently done. It was a deliberate tease, the entire way through. It'll never happen, and yet it somehow happened.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

It's scary how much the movie actually gets right from the book.

The homosexual subtext was in the books as well. Wattson went through a number of wives, each of whom Holmes disapproved of and each of which died either in childbirth or by a freak carriage accident or something, and each time when he informed Holmes, the latter would shrug it off as yesterday's news, and you're left wondering, "There's no way Sherlock could have assassinated someone by childbirth... Is there?"

I'm glad they killed off Irene Adler. It gave Moriarty points for villain intelligence, and really Irene Adler should never have been in the movies in the first place (at least not as a spunky Carmen Sandiego). Holmes really just hated women with the exception of Adler. He had a grudging respect for her after the two matched wits, but there was never any romantic connection between the two in the books, seeing as Adler got married and left the country shortly after they met.

The only complaint I have about the movie is the parts that just go on full Michael Bay explosion mode. Of course, that climax more than made up for everything.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    It's scary how much the movie actually gets right from the book.

The homosexual subtext was in the books as well. Wattson went through a number of wives, each of whom Holmes disapproved of and each of which died either in childbirth or by a freak carriage accident or something, and each time when he informed Holmes, the latter would shrug it off as yesterday's news, and you're left wondering, "There's no way Sherlock could have assassinated someone by childbirth... Is there?"

I'm glad they killed off Irene Adler. It gave Moriarty points for villain intelligence, and really Irene Adler should never have been in the movies in the first place (at least not as a spunky Carmen Sandiego). Holmes really just hated women with the exception of Adler. He had a grudging respect for her after the two matched wits, but there was never any romantic connection between the two in the books, seeing as Adler got married and left the country shortly after they met.

The only complaint I have about the movie is the parts that just go on full Michael Bay explosion mode. Of course, that climax more than made up for everything.
    Actually, the part about irene is the thing that bothers me in the first movie as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    but really I just don't expect of her getting dropped by a bus just like that
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think any interpretation of Holmes will ever top Star Trek's.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

I loved this movie, did not see the first one. But I do have to say the ending.... was I the only one that felt the ending was kinda...? I mean...

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    I loved this movie, did not see the first one. But I do have to say the ending.... was I the only one that felt the ending was kinda...? I mean...

Spoiler
    Show
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherloc...e_22nd_Century

20. - Top - End - #20
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

Sorry, we didn't get that show in Mexico... Figured it was referencing something, but I didn't know what.
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2012-01-05 at 10:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

it was like watching the bastard son of Wild Wild West and rush hour...with a bit of Hero thrown in as well.

I've yet to decide whether I'm sold on this style (I haven't watched the first one.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

22. - Top - End - #22

T'was awesome. Kinda glad they killed of Rachel MacAdams early, as she's a bit... flat in acting style. Noomi Rapace was awesome, and Kelly Rielly was much better than in the first movie. I HATED her in the first movie.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

23. - Top - End - #23

not so much homosexual overtone, rather the ultimate expression of Bro-love.

Of course, there are those that would argue that ultimate bro-love is simply repressed homosexuality.

I can almost hear that unspoken "Bro! this is for you!" right before the plunge.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

24. - Top - End - #24

Nah, right before the plunge, that look is "Oh, I forgot to take my partner into account. Too late now..."

Because the whole first fight, they were both assuming the fight would be one-on-one, not considering that Watson might jump in.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

25. - Top - End - #25

I had assumed that look was more of a 'oh blast it he's going to have to see this' look of regret, and would have preferred to just disappear off the balcony.

That said, the Holmes Moriarty head fight was my favorite part of the movie.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2. It all seemed harmless. Square root of 912.04 is 30.2..."

"It all seemed harmless..."

Character Roster:

Ami Nakamura - Self Taught Sorceress [Sacramento Occult]

26. - Top - End - #26

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    It was a nod to how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle attempted to kill off Sherlock in just that same way, but popular appeal was so great that he brought him back anyway. It's okay to ignore reality like "hard water" (Falling that far into water still results in death by massive trauma.) Because no matter how fast your mind is, fighting is done by instinct and muscle memory with a bit of situational awareness. It's Rule of Cool.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    I don't think any interpretation of Holmes will ever top Star Trek's.
    Thank you so much for this.

Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd was an awesome show. Terribly written futuristic redos of poorly done classics? Recipe for awesome tv show.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Shyftir View Post
    It was a nod to how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle attempted to kill off Sherlock in just that same way, but popular appeal was so great that he brought him back anyway.
    Technically, popular appeal was so great that a company paid Sir Arthur lots of money to bring him back. Sir Arthur was done writing stories for the Great Detective and had wanted to move on to other things.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it. I thought it expounded well on what the first one established and brought back some good running gags. I did have one problem with it, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    In the first movie, its revealed that everything that happened was orchestrated by Moriarty so he could steal a piece of the machine for radiowave technology. However, that technology never came up in the second movie. Did I miss something in the second movie that referenced it? (Details may be slightly off, my apologies if they are.)
    inner circle Legionary of Resiliance
    I love my Ceikatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

Not here as much. I am out Roman around.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the first movie, its revealed that everything that happened was orchestrated by Moriarty so he could steal a piece of the machine for radiowave technology. However, that technology never came up in the second movie. Did I miss something in the second movie that referenced it? (Details may be slightly off, my apologies if they are.)
    No, I don't believe you did miss anything... Huh, I hadn't thought of that.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Atreyu the Masked LLama View Post
    Technically, popular appeal was so great that a company paid Sir Arthur lots of money to bring him back. Sir Arthur was done writing stories for the Great Detective and had wanted to move on to other things.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it. I thought it expounded well on what the first one established and brought back some good running gags. I did have one problem with it, though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't they use a remote controlled bomb to blow up the meeting where Moran shoots the target as well ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem