New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXV: The Thread Everypony Should Know

Episode discussion:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I liked it a good deal. I wasn't expecting a history lesson on Ponyville, but I certainly enjoyed it. I liked it how all of Granny's wackyness was perfectly reasonable. The middle where AB was trying to get out of it was okay, but needed more gags. I must admit that I like the subtle gags mentioned such as Scootaloo's 'light bulb', Spoon's being the first to clap, and of course groan inducing puns such as Timber Wolves.

Who wrote this one? Cindy Morrow. Lesse...
    Griffon the Brush Off
    Winter Wrap Up
    Show Stoppers
    Owl's Well that Ends Well
    Sisterhoof Social

Somewhat inconsistent, but getting better with more hits than misses now.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Repost because (once again) my post got stuck at the end of a page, and it's unlikely that a lot of people saw it.

Alright, everyone. For the Doctor Whooves fans out there, I am concocting a fanfiction centered on the antics of... his assistants! If all goes according to plan, it should last 3 chapters. And, for once, I have a semi-solid plan for the fanfiction from start to finish.
    This fanfiction will host an abundance of OC's, and I am always willing to introduce more. Of course, I will need permission to use them, as well as some form of picture and a rundown of their personality.
    The first chapter for the fanfiction has already been posted on deviantArt. Here it is.

The Fall of Cloudsdale
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Banned

23:43 - old man in a wheel chair begins yelling at me in quite the unpony fashion on the way to the hotel. As a group we all just sort of smile at each other and try to avoid him. But cities, they take all types.

00:06 - get to the hotel! Stand in line time. We spot a larger herd via Twilight Plushie. Integration of the groups begin when a random member from the other herd runs over to hug everypony.

02:00 - go to bed. Lay there giggling for the next three hours.

??:?? - Wake up. Realize it's ??:??, go back to bed. Four times.

10:43 - wake up suddenly as room mate (Jade) enters room. Get Braz to roll her eyes because she's been trying to get me up for about 20 minutes. (sorry hon! Paranoia = instant wake-up!)

11:11 - Finally get everything together, head for the line! Which should take us like two hours to get in... Yay pre-reg!

11:41 - still in line behind Fluttershy. Thanqol may be here. If so, he's a spy!

Spoiler
    Show

12:15 - maximum capacity confirmed: 650+ preregistered + 100 or so walk-ins for a ball room listed at 450 persons. Line hits a stand-still! The con is going to be cleared at 15:00, and the line will engage again at that point.

I'm not upset, and am actually convincing folks in the stairwell to calm down (we're here for each other, aye? Merch and VAs can wait, right?) but Jade has the room key, so I can't go get my sketchbooks. Sad face.

12:20 - it's a RoninHiroX! And a Droplot!

12:30 - preregistered? Then you're goin' in! Get ready, folks. We had 400 walk-ups though, and they got let in concurrently with pre-regs, so we hit about a thousand bronies

12:33 - vinyl scratch is now best pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Ever been in a stairwell that became a subwoofer? I have, and it was awesome. Ponies can't get to party? Bring party to ponies.
    What, you disagree?
    Spoiler
    Show

13:12 - I'm about to go through the door. Good thing this was the most fun I've ever had in a stairwell ... XD
    8% battery, sorry DD. I can only do so much, ya know?

Until I steal Braz's phone, that is...

14:06 - sitting to wait for the Fighting is Magic panel to start. That's gonna be fun! Place is packed, though. Prooobably gonna switch over to Brazen's hardware.

victors get to play a couple rounds and then the winner fights one of the designers. The battle twixt Pinkie and Twilight, one sided. Pinkie can't get the needed movement to execute a strong move. Twilight on the other hand, is just ripping into the Premiere Party Pony.

Aaaaand Pinkie is slain by the super Saiyan. C'est la vis. Looks like the episode is up next! I don't have to miss out, awesome. I'll try not to fall asleep... Stupid crazy con schedule. Looks like I've burnt through Braz's battery, too. I'll have to trot off for a nap and a charge, soon, then some more life's bloodCoffee to sustain my equine obsession.

15:11 - mail delivered by a full-suit derpy hooves. Episode begins, Yay~!

17:30 - wake up from nap, panic, go back down (up?) to con.

17:31 - no, really, we dont want room service, that's why the DO NOT DISTURB sign, I promise. No, we don't need you going through all I our poorly supervised merchandise while we're gone.

17:45 - panel crash! Apparently we have all been misled. There is no "good" version of the CMC talent show song. They recorded a bad version, and the studio asked them to make it even worse. The god version we've. Been hearing about is just the less terrible version. Though Ingram wants to get the VAs together I he ever gets official ok for a soundtrack to fix that.

Surprise sing along! Ingram consented to play Giggle at the Ghosty, and we lose signal for a bit. luckily, a room of 400 can manage to sound like we know what we're doing until he hooks back*In.

18:14 - Ingram tribute gets started! Fluttershy is too quiet, oddly. Applejack, is good, and apparently Rarity (Siobhan) is an opera singer. Nice. And Sweet Celestia, Dat Pinkie Pie! Nailed it almost perfectly; Sounded like an alternate take D8

18:35 - coffee break with Hiro, Jade, Braz, meself, And a friend of Jade's.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree that for the moment we can only speak in pony generations and pony lifespans, without setting hard numbers to that. There, were, however, a few things in this episode that provided time info. First, Applebloom states that it's a Sunday. So we at least know that the ponies use days of the week and the real world name might even imply an identical 7-day week and perhaps the use of the Gregorian calendar as well, with holidays obviously modified into pony versions.

i worked out a calendar for a future fiction effort
    12 months of 30 days...360 days to a year (easily divisible by 4)
    but i do have them using 7 day weeks(for easy relate-ability)
    rationale i used for 7 days? one day for each hoof..one day for tail/horn/wing
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Started out alright, was disappointing in the middle, then got very good at the end.
    Zapapples are AWESOME. Granny Smith's story was awesome. I too expected a rainbow apple cutie mark.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Bugbear in the Playground

Question Re: My Little Pony XXXV: The Thread Everypony Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not saying that it had to be Ponyville, I'm saying that Hearth's Warming Eve episode showed (or at the very least, insinuated) that the Unicorns set up a town/city/some sort of living area where Canterlot is, the Pegasi set up in the clouds to the west of that area and the Earth Ponies set themselves up in the area where Ponyville is. Yet in this episode, that area was completely empty. What happened to all those Earth Ponies?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I doubt that a historical play is the best source for accurate geographical information, but even then as far as I remember, the earth pony settlement was built far closer to the mountain than ponyville would be, and to a different side at that.

Siuis, you are one lucky potato, there's no pony conventions anywhere I could go. I am going to consciously chose to be happy for you instead of jealous.
    Last edited by vegetalss4; 2012-01-07 at 07:58 PM.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Unrelated to anything that is currently being discussed, here's something I discovered on behalf of my fellow bronies/metalheads:

Pinkie Pie's Parasprite Polka: METAL VERSION!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

I was going to save the following non-pony thingy as an addendum to my next post, but time is moving on...

And thus, to not be completely randomly off-topic, but instead to be completely randomly on topic, I present:

Two completely random images of Spike in a hat.

Spoiler
    Show

And on to the non-pony starship related dohickey...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Question, ponythread...

Given that the following happened (more or less word-for-word):

The PC Jedi is meditating an trying to attune to an ancient alien spire with some residual psionic tendancies. He gets a psionic image of the future; a sudden burst of feeling that something terrible is about to happen, something very, very evil and dreadfully powerful. There is a brief impression of a ship, in blue space, all dark spines and blades and sharpness, and soft voice whispering sadly: “They are coming. The Fall begins.” before it suddenly vanishes. The PC gets a strong feeling there was more, but like a dream fading in the morning, he cannot remember it. When he tried to tell the others what hey saw, the first time he tried to repeat the spoken words, they didn’t come out in English, but in a language he didn’t understand or recognise. The PC found himself thoroughly shaken by the experience.

Would the following seem to passably fit said description? (Roughly, bearing in mind the PC may not have seen this class of ship specifically. And that said ship is still currently a work in progress...)

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah! Bring out the Bacardi, Twilight Sparkle’s up in the party!
    So. I’m back. Here’s the thing. In my time off, I became particularly loquacious. Not quite SiuS levels, but getting up there. Couple questions. I have a lot of things to say, a lot of things to post. Is there a character limit? And should I spread it out over a few posts, or do one massive post? What do you all want?

Also, a quick note to any Bay Area or Northern California brony able to make it into San Francisco this Friday: Brony Beach Bonfire! I’ll be there, and I’d love to meet some of you.

Breaking news! Canon confirms Rarity as best pony. Details at EqD.
    Not that there was ever any doubt.
    Last edited by Gaelbert; 2012-01-07 at 08:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Banned

EDIT: hey Gael! I'll see if we can make it. I'm probably working, but meh.

Character limit is 50,000 including tags and punctuation. Copy/pasta tends to add extraneous asterisks, as a relic of the different code for text. From memory, you're better off separating questions from the discussion you'll have about the points you wan to discuss. Generally, questions at the end, not before the preamble or you'll taint the sample group, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by vegetalss4 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I doubt that a historical play is the best source for accurate geographical information, but even then as far as I remember, the earth pony settlement was built far closer to the mountain than ponyville would be, and to a different side at that.

Siuis, you are one lucky potato, there's no pony conventions anywhere I could go. I am going to consciously chose to be happy for you instead of jealous.
    What general chunk of the nation are you in? I vaguely recall you're a US pony.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    I was going to save the following non-pony thingy as an addendum to my next post, but time is moving on...

And thus, to not be completely randomly off-topic, but instead to be completely randomly on topic, I present:

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Question, ponythread...

The PC Jedi is meditating an trying to attune to an ancient alien spire with some residual psionic tendancies. He gets a psionic image of the future; a sudden burst of feeling that something terrible is about to happen, something very, very evil and dreadfully powerful. There is a brief impression of a ship, in blue space, all dark spines and blades and sharpness, and soft voice whispering sadly: “They are coming. The Fall begins.” before it suddenly vanishes. The PC gets a strong feeling there was more, but like a dream fading in the morning, he cannot remember it. When he tried to tell the others what hey saw, the first time he tried to repeat the spoken words, they didn’t come out in English, but in a language he didn’t understand or recognise. The PC found himself thoroughly shaken by the experience.

Would the following seem to passably fit said description? (Roughly, bearing in mind the PC may not have seen this class of ship specifically. And that said ship is still currently a work in progress...)

it's too Euclidean. I saw a ship, vaguely theshape of a star destroyer which just so happene to have four main spires like an X at about the area of the bridge, and just a pin cushion of spikes all over.

Are you trying to make a model for the game, or a render for showing them? The extent of my advice should be limited by the medium. Your ship works, but it could be better. You know?
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-01-07 at 08:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Question, ponythread...

Im not quite sure what is going on here, but that craft certainly looks ominous. (holy carp i spelled that right!)

Also new episode! though i dont feeling liek reading 2 pages of spoilers....
    Spoiler
    Show
    The new episode was awesome. thats really all there is to say, i love learning the history of the pony world. but the episode wasnt what was really interesting me. there was a lot of things hidden that caught my attention.
    Such as the illuminati symbols in canterlot.
    and sweetie bell's horror face during Filthy rich's speech.
    and sex in the clouds lol just kidding. old lion king myth anyone?
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

12. - Top - End - #372
    Colossus in the Playground

New Episode

Spoiler
    Show
    Today we learned that farming is only lame if you harvest lame things. When plants are awesome, being a farmer gets a lot more awesome.

Scootaloo is the most adorable thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Athaniar View Post
    Thanqol, your character personality thing looks interesting. Let's try it on Mtangulizi, my main RP character in the IRC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Enlightenment: Peace and harmony for everyone.
    Flawed: Peace and harmony by any means necessary.
    Five Words: Love, Kindness, Willpower, Harmony, Suffering

Love: Closeness, Happiness, Devotion, Passion, Family
    Kindness: Caring, Healing, Forgiveness, Helping, Benevolence
    Willpower: Duty, Fearlessness, Determination, Loyalty, Hope
    Harmony: Peace, Tranquility, Friendship, Acceptance, Unity
    Suffering: Hardship, Endurance, Martyrdom, Atonement, Regret

How does that look?
    Question is, and always is with these, how does it look to you? This process is meant to help you figure out how the character thinks, disconnected from appearance, skills, or anything else. It's designed to change the type of question you ask when making characters. Did you learn something? If so, then it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not entirely sure how I can "fix" this. The opening gambit is intended to read as entirely "episode-like" as possible; hence the use of (overly?) familiar situations, speech, and behaviour. So if it's "almost too on the nose"... um, mission accomplished?

The only thing I can think of to change it up a little is to have a prelude paragraph with RD already in Death's Country, with the intro written as a flashback. Is that too trite?

As for the rigidity - once again, I blame lack of practice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Problem is, the opening's your sales pitch to get the reader to keep reading the story, it needs to be putting your best hoof forwards so they don't put the book back on the shelf. And if your opening feels like a rehash of jokes that have already been told then you're walking an uncomfortable line. The entire scene and dynamic works, but the specific words and phrases don't quite work with it. Switch it up a bit, come up with your own take on the situation, subvert an expectation or two.

I wouldn't start with a flashback, though. Or - hm. Maybe I would. Unfortunately, that's one that makes or breaks on execution, and flashbacks are kind of tricky to do right. A strong way to do it would be for Rainbow Dash to trigger the flashback herself by recreating the last few minutes that she remembered to trigger the memory of the lightning. But that's kinda weird to explain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I was really unhappy about this bit. And this was the second draft of this section.

The original idea was to go into much more detail regarding Rainbow's initial reactions and explorations of Death's country; but I was getting stalled on this bit, I felt that it was already dragging on, and in the end I just wanted to skip over it to get to the interaction with Death - but without losing it entirely. As such, it ended up being rather messier than intended. This is what writing from 1:00 AM looks like when you've been awake since 7:00 AM, but don't want to got to bed because you know your child is going to wake up in half an hour for a change and feed; and if you don't do some writing now it's going to be another day gone with no writing done at, and you're not sure if you'll be able to write at all tomorrow today.

That said, thanks to your feedback, I will probably revisit and rewrite this section when I'm in a better frame of mind for writing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't actually need excuses; I'm aware of your situation . Reflecting on the circumstances surrounding writing isn't particularly productive unless you're capable of taking steps to change those circumstances. And one of my deeply held beliefs is that it's better to write bad then not write at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Admittedly, this was inspired by a single line from the "At the Gala" song in Best Night Ever: "We'll perform for crowds of thousands / They'll shower us with diamonds" - which I interpreted as meaning that diamonds are a rare and valuable gem in Equestria (hence Rarity and the triple diamond cutie mark); and that fortune as well as fame is a driving motivation for Rainbow Dash, though a much lesser one. Reading too much into it? Maybe. That's fandoms for you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, I agree with that. I don't agree with Rainbow Dash saying 'Because there's millions of diamonds, diamonds are worthless'. She'd say 'Because there's millions of diamonds, I AM RICH!'. She would simply not understand scarcity as a source of value.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you for your feedback - it's greatly appreciated and it has helped cement in my mind where I want to take this story, which was originally planned as a one-shot, but now I know what direction it is going in. I just hope I find the time and energy to do the concept justice. Sadly, those two resources are going to become even more limited as I return to work on Monday.
    Always welcome, good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Selrahc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Classic Trollestia.
    Ponies are looking for a place to live.
    Send them to a creepy forest full of monsters.
    Ahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    Wait, I thought you're a philosophy student?
    Combined degree, Arts/Commerce. The Arts is to expand my mind, broaden my horizons and help be be a bestselling author. The Commerce is so that I'll have a real job in case that falls through. I hear being a starving artist is overrated.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-07 at 08:27 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    *epic Con summary snip!*
    SiuiS is best pony! I really do appreciate the play-by-play, and it's neat to imagine so many ponythreaders together in one place!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Question, ponythread...

Is that a Spike-themed ship I spy? Because I think you know how I feel about pony (and dragon) themed ships...

Hint: It's awesome, awesome is how I feel about these things

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    Yeah! Bring out the Bacardi, Twilight Sparkle’s up in the party!
    So. I’m back. Here’s the thing. In my time off, I became particularly loquacious. Not quite SiuS levels, but getting up there. Couple questions. I have a lot of things to say, a lot of things to post. Is there a character limit? And should I spread it out over a few posts, or do one massive post? What do you all want?

Also, a quick note to any Bay Area or Northern California brony able to make it into San Francisco this Friday: Brony Beach Bonfire! I’ll be there, and I’d love to meet some of you.

Breaking news! Canon confirms Rarity as best pony. Details at EqD.
    Not that there was ever any doubt.
    Welcome back, Gaelbert! It's good to see you around again!

SiuiS seems to have covered the post questions pretty well, and he is quotepost-pony, so I'd heed his advice.

New Episode

Spoiler
    Show
    Today we learned that farming is only lame if you harvest lame things. When plants are awesome, being a farmer gets a lot more awesome.

I am aching for there to be a Scoots-centric CMC episode...she's like the AJ of the group as far as focus episodes go at this point
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

14. - Top - End - #374
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    SiuiS is best pony! I really do appreciate the play-by-play, and it's neat to imagine so many ponythreaders together in one place!
    That's also pretty much the entirety of stuff that was worth play-by-play. There was an auction, Where bronies made me wonder on whether we are really cool or really stupid (seriously, this available for $5 outside, why is the bidding at $100+ ?), and now we're gonna listen to musics but no dance floor I'm afraid... There were also logistical issues, where they were expecting 250 like last year, instead of the 750 they booked or the 1,000 who pressed in. And the hotel is a piece of work that requires it's own thread to touch on. Like when part of the open hole in the ceiling dropped onto Soarin'. Or the rooms were improperly booked so we were short two beds. Or that when we finally got a room we couldn't open the bedroom door after closing it...

15. - Top - End - #375

Random new episode comments:
    Spoiler
    Show
    While Ponyville history was involved, I don't think the episode did as much damage to fanon as some; even Granny Smith's young adult years are still pretty open. I'm also happy that my fanfic survived intact.

So Diamond Tiara's dad is basically Equestria's Sam Walton and she's the Walton kids. Makes sense. I noticed that we don't see her mom, leaving the Screwball Theory intact.

Even if you take the less extreme interpretation of Twilight's Winter Wrap Up line, Granny Smith is pretty old as ponies go. I guess she must have gotten that hip replacement.

I also loved the Zap Apples and the Timber Wolves. I wonder if the Zap Apples are one of the reasons that Ponyvillians live so long (the retirement home in MMDW seemed very well populated for a small town)?
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

this is true...this is why Scootaloo is #2 Pegasus behind Fluttershy.
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

full size avatar

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

New episode image:
    Spoiler
    Show

*snerk*

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

I am aching for there to be a Scoots-centric CMC episode...she's like the AJ of the group as far as focus episodes go at this point
    I can't verify the information considering that I found it on TvTropes, but under Scootaloo's profile on there, it mentioned that someone who worked on the show said there was a Scootaloo focused episode coming down the pipe in Season 2. And with The Last Roundup and The Super Cider etc. etc., episode later on, that means at least one Applejack episode and another one about the Apple family (but probably focusing on them as a whole, rather then just Applejack). So...you know, high hopes! Also hoping for Big Mac to do more and for more CMC, cause I don't find them annoying at all...And cause each CMC episode means more Sweetie Belle which increases the chance of another Sweetie Belle song and thus the chances of a Sweetie Belle/Rarity duet.

Also, just for discussions sake, I heard it mentioned that Lauren Faust said she never planned out an episode where the CMC got their cutie marks but that she would like to do it. What does everyone think are the chances of such an episode actually happening?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

The following image is tangentially pony related.

Spoiler
    Show

The hatchling got a (non-MLP) pony plushie as one of his Christmas presents, and today we were horsing around a little bit.

20. - Top - End - #380

Spoiler
    Show

The hatchling got a (non-MLP) pony plushie as one of his Christmas presents, and today we were horsing around a little bit.
    Well, it's more accurate to the show than the Hasbro plushies

21. - Top - End - #381

What general chunk of the nation are you in? I vaguely recall you're a US pony.
    Nope. I'm European, Danish to be exact.
    Remember: Hope springs eternal. The dark days will pass and the sun will shine again.

The best way to learn something is to ask, so ask without shame.

Many thanks to smuchmuch for the awesome Ponytar.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
    Unrelated to anything that is currently being discussed, here's something I discovered on behalf of my fellow bronies/metalheads:

Pinkie Pie's Parasprite Polka: METAL VERSION!
    Awesome Needs more instruments, though

Wait, there's another Dane in ponythread?

23. - Top - End - #383

I got some time. Anypony got any sort of fanfic they'd like me to review?

24. - Top - End - #384
    Banned

Ah, well, guess I was pretty far off. Sorry ><"

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Wait, there's another Dane in ponythread?
    Deadly's a Dane?
    Delicious!

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

Deadly's a Dane?
    Delicious!
    Deliciously Deadly Dane

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

it's too Euclidean. I saw a ship, vaguely theshape of a star destroyer which just so happene to have four main spires like an X at about the area of the bridge, and just a pin cushion of spikes all over.
    Well, considering I have to build 'em from solid shapes; I.e. extrusions, lofts, revolves and sweeps, that's perhaps not too surprising! (Doing something as "complex" as those skulls I did a while back is several orders of magnitude more complicated!)

Are you trying to make a model for the game, or a render for showing them? The extent of my advice should be limited by the medium. Your ship works, but it could be better. You know?[/color]
    The former, naturally! What, you think I actually come up with stuff for my RPGs that either doesn't already exist as a fleet or that doesn't make it onto the tabletop?

When I wrote the description, I was very vague, as I'd got no real ideas as to what the ships would look like. I did consider doing something that looks like a nudibranch flying backwards:

Spoiler
    Show

but decided that would be a) too difficult to manage with the material constraints and b) like the Shadow Battlecrabs in B5, might look cool with one or two designs, but wouldn't be very visually interesting as a diverse fleet.

Still playing with the ideas, at the moment - I was doing some yesterday and Friday because I went out to lunch with my Mum and grandparents (I'd gone with Mum to help try and sort Nanny's computer again...!) and I saw a stylised angelfish carving (the ones that sort of look like a deep arrowhead), and had already been playing with the idea of something vaguely fish/shark-ish already, and this was the result.

Is that a Spike-themed ship I spy? Because I think you know how I feel about pony (and dragon) themed ships...

Hint: It's awesome, awesome is how I feel about these things
    Beleive it or not, actually no. Though now I do tend to look to thing for colour scheme inspiration (my Tarrainian Federation fleet is my "Harlequin shrimp" fleet, the ESU is based on another fish which is red with bright blue spots, and the as yet unofficially titled United Bureau of Administrated Space/Time Armed Rapid Deployment Squadron is appropriately based largely around the colour scheme of Fate Tesstarossa from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.

But not this time! The basic colour choice was purple because it needed to be a dark colour, and black is a real bugger to paint (as is white and yellow, incidently), I don't like brown and I have a lot of blue fleets (but only too others that are purple) and don't get me started on the number of grey purmutations! The detail colours then, were simply picked as complementary. I don't want to use so much yellow (and both Stone Portals and Raarg'Ssth fleets use a lot of yellow/gold as their details), so I just toyed with the other until I had something I liked (I find I generally have a preference for cold colours, which is why I went with ice-clue and green, not, say orange and red). I wasn't until I was looking for those Spike pictures it occurred to me that I'd inadvertently copied Spike's colour scheme.

Spoiler
    Show

From experience with little sister, the earlier you start corrupting 'em, the better...

How bored are you? I mean, if you're really stumped, I don't have any fanfic, (or anything pony-related) but somewhere around, there is my History of the Dark Wars Part I, which is just some (extensive!) campaign fluff I wrote up a while back...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-01-08 at 08:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Nameless just bought a pony.

28. - Top - End - #388

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Nameless just bought a pony.
    That's a statement that covers everything from a real life horse to a brushable to slave trafficking. We'll need you to clarify the size and nature of this pony, also, pictures.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    Well, it's more accurate to the show than the Hasbro plushies
    this is a true and very very sad statement

full size avatar

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yes. Very much so.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.