New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXV: The Thread Everypony Should Know

Everything in spoilers is new episode related.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

And that lesson is, never have kids
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    New ep.

Spoiler
    Show

Carrot Cake. GOOD DAD! Helping out. Changing diapers. Burping the baby. Carrot Cake
    Spoiler
    Show
    Carrot Cake, I know that feel! I'm really glad they showed Carrot Cake doing that - I changed, fed, burped, and but to bed my little one just before the livestream started.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    first thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show
    is it just me or is Mrs Cake drawn a LOT slimmer?(so whats Snips and the new colt from last weeks' excuse for bein so tubby?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mrs Cake was pregnant in Season One - now canon!

Also, running around after twin toddlers and co-running a small business? That is going to slim anyone down.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2012-01-14 at 11:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Ettin in the Playground

I had the good fortune of watching this episode on TV. Thought's below:
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was a nice episode. Am I the only one who thought those kids were a Flintstones reference?

Anyway, can't wait for next week's episode, my favorite background pony is finally getting an episode!
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-01-14 at 11:53 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

3. - Top - End - #903
    Firbolg in the Playground

Loved the episode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The babies were so much D'aww, especially toward the ending!
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-01-14 at 12:11 PM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

Waitin' on the youtube, so in the meantime...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I've got to stop being impressed by the amount of work you put into the backstory for your games. I really should be expecting stuff like this by now. How long do you think it'll be before any of your gaming group figures out what those things are based on?
    Could be a while, they'll be running into secret project first (one of the reasons I wanted to do some in 25mm...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen
    I suppose it would all depend on the type of weapon, the power of their telekinesis, and the differences between the size of the object to manipulate and speed with which said object can be manipulated.

For types of weapons I mostly mean it's firing mechanism. Projectile weapons would still need something to launch the projectile, but energy weapons could be completely different. They could rig up the weapon so that when the energy cell is inserted it just starts firing, and the energy cell itself can sit in a loose compartment that causes it's default position to not be providing energy to the weapon, but can easily be slid into place. They would then fire the weapon by using their telekinesis to rapidly move the cell, causing the weapon to fire. The more skilled they are at using these, the faster they'll be able to shoot. This also has the added benefit of making the weapon completely useless to other races, especially if the energy cell is stored inside the weapon making it so only the telekinesis can reach it.

The last point is mostly in terms of the design for possible triggers. I imagine most triggers would be buttons, so the weapons would generally be nothing more than a tube. (Again, making it difficult for other races to use effectively) The size of the button would be whatever size is ideal to reach the best possible speed that the weapon can be triggered via telekinesis. Ideally the button would be as small and easily concealed as those annoying little buttons that reset things that you need to stick a pen in to push, or it would be contained inside the weapon so that it's impossible to fire it manually without shooting yourself.

You'll notice my suggestions result in weapons that can't be used by any race without telekinetic capabilities. Having innate telekinesis to the degree the Jalyrkieons have is a massive benefit to them, and their weapons should be designed with that in mind, especially when they can use it to make sure their enemies are incapable of using the weapons against them. You mentioned that they tend to be very well supplied since they're capable of carrying so much more, so it would make sense that they wouldn't want to have a small squad taken down and leave the enemy with several battle's worth of ammo and weapons.
    Again, I think designing a weapon with the critetion "the enemy can't nick this" over "how best I can use this" is the wrong way to go about things. On top of that, Jalyrkeion technology is fairly middle of the road (especially groundside), so a good question would be, why would anyone want to steal their guns? (Certainly, they're no better than the Vivrathk's, and possibly not even as good as them.) If you wanna nick better kit, there are better people to nick it from...

And, leaving aside the adventurer's mindset, (which is I suspect why everyone jumped on the idea) as a military force, you are almost always better sticking with your own weapons, as you can garentee a steady supply of ammunition (and parts, which is something virtually all RPGs ignore, yes, even Rolemaster.)

Using the bad guy's weapons when your own runs out is very Hollywood, but doesn't actually happen very often in the real world. (Usually, by the time you've run out of ammo, the squad will be pretty much knackered in terms of combat effectiveness, anyway. Morale and fatigue, which aside from enforced conditions, most RPGs mostly ignore, is much more critical.)

(Nicking guns to do Star Trek "adapt to their beams" doesn't realy work in practise - modern shield technology does not have a "frequency" to adapt to, it's all about overpowering the energy output. Shields are designed such that there really aren't any shortcuts, so you just have to do it the hard way. Infantry shields are also really not very common - even we only have a few on out powered troops and WarDroids, and we're high up on the tech tree.)

Also, you don't need to pull a trigger for every shot (you can just hold it down for autofire) - so even if you could pump the trigger that fast, it's easier just not to.

I think Rebel Hero's slide idea is probably the best one at current - it's no more complex than a finger trigger (KISS is a vitally important aspect of military technology, as the less that can go wrong the better) and it would do the job (and you could also have a safety more easily, so you don't accidently switch the fire button on, and also has the useful ability to click the safety off dramatically, while threatening people...!)

Pure power could negate the need for several types of weapons completely. If they can throw a spear with enough force to punch through a tank, there's absolutely no value in using most projectile weapons. This would also be beneficial to them as it makes most of their weapons useless to anyone who doesn't have the strength and control to use them as ranged weapons accurately.
    If they could chuck a long-rod penetrator (because a spear wouldn't cut it) hard enough to take out a tank, they probably wouldn't need guns at all. Or course, that still raises the queston of how far you can chucnk one, how often, and how easy it is to carry a bunch of long-rod penetrators around without (because there's no way you're gonna re-user them...)

Their TK won't be in that range, though. It's a big step between "2-4 times harder than a human dude" and "is Superman"... (Of course, they probably have superheroes too...!)

Oooohhh... There's a good idea. A weapon that has no automatic components and needs to be manually reset every time. Like a super complicated crossbow. The only way to use it in any efficient manner is to be capable of manipulating half a dozen parts simultaneously.
    *eyeglow raise*

So you're telling me that making a weapon (based on a weapon whose historical adoption was primarily due to it being simpler (not better) to learn to use than existant weapons) that requires resetting after every shot with a reasonably complicated action that will demand some fair bit of concentration - in the heat of combat, no less - and has up to six bits which can jam, go wrong, or not click properly if not done exactly right, with the correspondingly drop in rate of fire - a critical factor in modern ground warfare, is a good idea...?

You know what, Kyouhen, my friend, I'mma gonna go ahead and foward your name with a strong recommendation to the weapons research department.

The Elven Kingdoms weapons research department...

Stop giggling Hopereaver, the poor pony doesn't know any better!

I trust you can see where I'm coming from when I say designing so the enemy can't use your weapons as your first criteion is really not the way to go about making effective weapons, yes...?

Shotguns might be bad, but spray-and-pray in general could still be functional. They can carry all that extra ammo, why not have them dual-wield miniguns? Or quad-wield if they're powerful enough.

Standard infantry with 4 miniguns? Now that's terrifying to deal with.
    Again, this is an RPG/adventurer's perspective problem. In modern warfare, twice as many guns doesn't mean twice as much effect, it's much more complicated than that. There comes a certain point whereby you get saturation - shooting more bits doesn't do anything more (as it the real world doing a Hollywood charge across open ground will get you just as killed with one machine gun or coldbeam as four or five!) Something I realised myself as I was trying to work out how the Jalyrkieons would fit into Manouvre Group. (What effectively it does is break the squad into smaller fireteams, each of whom's gunnery is a match for a full squad of everybody else, but in comparison to a full squad, has something of a glass jaw in terms of defending against assaults, where - heroes aside - being out-numbered is more of a problem. It's good, but not war-winning all by itself.)

Four miniguns - though certainly looking very cool, I'll grant you! - would be thus rather wasteful in practical terms. (And also miniguns are generally support weapons, so you'd be looking at more like two per Jalyrkieons, rather than four, which would be pushing it a bit.)

try this...put your hand above your head with you fingers(barrels) facing forward...then rotate it to point at a threat behind you

now put your hand in front of you facing forward...a threat appears behind you...instead of just rotating the gun you have to rotate it AND move it to give you a clear shot around the "blockage" of your body

much like why they put tank guns in turrets instead of mounting them to the front of the tank as they did at first

of course instead of shotguns they could hover a minigun(or even a small calibre cannon) up there with a hopper of ammo being carried on their back...basically a tank setup
    Yes, it might be easier to rotate, I'll grant you, but the Jalyrkieon still needs to be able to see what he or she is shooting at! (Shooting blind is a VERY quick way to kill own team.) And as their heads don't turn like tank turrets... Vision and what you can see are very critical factors (in the real world and in the rules we use). In actuality, you can see bugger all in a tank if it's not open and then the commander is in danger of having his face perforated. So, yes, while they can pivot their guns with more ease, in the long run, it won't gain them much, since despite their TK senses, they can't process vision any better. So adding a gun camera to each gun would only confuse them as much as it would you!

(And the time/effort saved is probably sufficiently small to be insignificant. Very few even RPGs worry about that level of detail - wargames certainly don't. It's in that "if it's less than 5% I don't care about it" range.)

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    So Hopereaver's hair is blue? That red text sure threw me off ._.
    Well, red is one of the primary colours of the Aotrs.

Yeah, my natural colour is actually a very dark, nearly black, navy blue. (Magic runs in the family. Ran, I should say...)

You have been waiting sooo long for someone to ask you that, haven't you?

Besides, my voice isn't blue! That's cold and distant (like Bleakbane)!

My voice is like red, it's h...

If you finish that sentence with any reference to temperature, I shall hurt you.

Nevermind!

That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc
    On guns, I would imagine in terms of appearance that they would be mostly just tubes; no need for handles when you have TK. I think the slide trigger mechanism that was suggested seems like a good idea.
    That's what I'm thinking. Rebel Hero, pat yourself on the back...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-01-14 at 12:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Episode:
    Spoiler
    Show

Most prominent thoughts? I wrote a small essay on Pony Genetics in the youtube comments. that was fun.

On the episode itself, i liked it. Realy cute

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hold up, did Pinkie ever put the diapers back ON? Oh, THAT can't end well....
    Indeed she did not.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Weapons
    I remember a book featuring some primitives who used magnetic crossbows. The bolts were charged, and the bow itself had a reversible charge behind where it rested. You reverse the charge and the bolt goes 'Ewwwwwww' and leaves /rapidly/.

And Hope's voice is totally hot.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

I feel should say, am I rather enjoying this weapons debate (even if it does seem a bit like you guys are bouncing up and down and going "this would be awesome!" Pinkie Pie style and me going all Twilight and "Ummm...not...not really, no... Because...")

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I remember a book featuring some primitives who used magnetic crossbows. The bolts were charged, and the bow itself had a reversible charge behind where it rested. You reverse the charge and the bolt goes 'Ewwwwwww' and leaves /rapidly/.
    A railgun - at least ours are - is basically giant magentically accelerating tube at the end of the day, so that's not unreasonable. (Although whether "rapidly" in terms of "can go through dudes" and can "go through a Distant Thunder's frontal armour is another kettle of fish...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn
    And Hope's voice is totally hot.
    Damn straight!

Aaah, you can't hit me, Lixie said, it not me!

...Fine. You win this round.

Huzzah! *does a victory dance*

Don't push it.

Huzzoo.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-01-14 at 12:37 PM.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

I feel should say, am I rather enjoying this weapons debate (even if it does seem a bit like you guys are bouncing up and down and going "this would be awesome!" Pinkie Pie style and me going all Twilight and "Ummm...not...not really, no... Because...")
    With enough pseudoscience and magic (almost) anything can be viable!

A railgun - at least ours are - is basically giant magentically accelerating tube at the end of the day, so that's not unreasonable. (Although whether "rapidly" in terms of "can go through dudes" and can "go through a Distant Thunder's frontal armour is another kettle of fish...!)
    I think they killed space marines with them.
    They did aim at the eyes though. And they were heavily poisoned.

Damn straight!

Aaah, you can't hit me, Lixie said, it not me!

...Fine. You win this round.

Huzzah! *does a victory dance*

Don't push it.

Huzzoo.
    (giggles)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't really know about Steven Wright beyond Wikipedia. Care to explain that one?
    What Pendulous said. He voices the radio DJ in Reservoir Dogs, if you've seen that. He's one of the few stand up comedians who actually tells jokes. Really funny guy.

Episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I liked this episode. It'd be cool if someone counted how many times they said the word "responsibility." Had to be in the triple digits.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kindablue View Post
    What Pendulous said. He voices the radio DJ in Reservoir Dogs, if you've seen that. He's one of the few stand up comedians who actually tells jokes. Really funny guy.
    I'm actually not a fan. The only one-liner comedian I like is Mitch Hedberg (who is also dead, go figure) But I just liked the reference enough.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm actually not a fan. The only one-liner comedian I like is Mitch Hedberg (who is also dead, go figure) But I just liked the reference enough.
    Hedberg was great. I wouldn't compare his act to Wright's, but I do like him too.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.

12. - Top - End - #912

Okay, new ep time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Babies where fun, and pinkie pie was..well...pinkie pie. Not the best ep by far, but still good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

13. - Top - End - #913

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Hey, it's not easy being the Straight Pony to the shennanigans of other ponies, and it's often considered being 'boring' or 'bland'. That doesn't mean AJ doesn't deserve any less love, she's a hero for being the Straight Pony and not resorting to deadpan snarkin' to be funny/interesting, a hero I say!
    Oh, I"m with you, I love AJ. This explains well why she is the boring one of the group, but also why she is the most stable and mature.
    If we are looking at the ponies as characters to relate to, then Applejack is the average, everyday person. In a group of people, they aren't all going to be seen as crazy or with personality disorders. You don't want to be thinking well gee, I don't have some wacky quirk to make me stand out, I must be a boring friend! I mean, the show is intended for young girls. You don't want to be handing out the impression that something is wrong if you are normal and dependable.

Still, I'd like to see more Applejack-staring episodes. Being "normal" doesn't mean you have to be background or sidelined, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

14. - Top - End - #914
    Bugbear in the Playground

New Episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fun times! Pinkie gets a bit of her own back.

I liked the pony genetics, it does make lots of OCs easier to explain.

I bet Kyouhen isn't the only earth pony trying to grow a horn after watching Mr. Cake changing diapers with his mouth.
    I am so pointing that out to Moonsmith.

My theory on the foals surge in abilities is that Pinkie's reality-warping toon powers finally had a reason to work against her, and outside of Rule of Funny situations they'll be normal foals.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my station
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not a great one for me. Pinkie wasn't nearly as funny as she often is (I can think of only two good jokes: "Tough crowd." "Tell me about it." and the suction-cup shoes), the resolution seemed rather contrived (Pinkie cries and the babies take care of themselves? What?), and the babies were only somewhat entertaining when their wings/magic kicked in near the end.

Good to get pony genetics confirmed, making Derpy and Dinky canon-plausible, but that really was pretty much the high point of the episode for me sadly.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not a great one for me. Pinkie wasn't nearly as funny as she often is (I can think of only two good jokes: "Tough crowd." "Tell me about it." and the suction-cup shoes), the resolution seemed rather contrived (Pinkie cries and the babies take care of themselves? What?), and the babies were only somewhat entertaining when their wings/magic kicked in near the end.

Good to get pony genetics confirmed, making Derpy and Dinky canon-plausible, but that really was pretty much the high point of the episode for me sadly.

Zevox
    Spoiler
    Show
    My personal favorite part was the explinatation of genetics, than his frenzied saying of "That makes sence, right?". Some many jokes could be made about that lin, realy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

17. - Top - End - #917
    Ogre in the Playground

If they could chuck a long-rod penetrator (because a spear wouldn't cut it) hard enough to take out a tank, they probably wouldn't need guns at all. Or course, that still raises the queston of how far you can chucnk one, how often, and how easy it is to carry a bunch of long-rod penetrators around without (because there's no way you're gonna re-user them...)

Their TK won't be in that range, though. It's a big step between "2-4 times harder than a human dude" and "is Superman"... (Of course, they probably have superheroes too...!)

Oh, of course they'd still need weapons for long-range engagement and likely anti-tank weaponry, that was just an extreme example. If they're still powerful and accurate enough to put a long-rod penetrator through an enemy or two at mid/close range they would probably be more likely to advance that technology than worry about finding smaller/better ways to launch it. No sense in developing a pistol if you're certain you can kill an enemy with a knife with the same range of effectiveness right?

*eyeglow raise*

So you're telling me that making a weapon (based on a weapon whose historical adoption was primarily due to it being simpler (not better) to learn to use than existant weapons) that requires resetting after every shot with a reasonably complicated action that will demand some fair bit of concentration - in the heat of combat, no less - and has up to six bits which can jam, go wrong, or not click properly if not done exactly right, with the correspondingly drop in rate of fire - a critical factor in modern ground warfare, is a good idea...?

You know what, Kyouhen, my friend, I'mma gonna go ahead and foward your name with a strong recommendation to the weapons research department.

The Elven Kingdoms weapons research department...
    You monster. The elves? I can't think of any more terrible torture than to be stuck in a room with those stuck-up little buggers!

I see your point though. I'm not much of a military man, so my knowledge of weapons is somewhat lacking. I guess just taking normal weapons and removing the grips and whatnot from them would be enough to make it more appropriate for something developed by creatures capable of telekinesis. They'd still need some way to carry it long-term though, so probably still have some straps on the weapon or hooks so it can clip on to their saddlebags. That and the weapons would probably be bigger and/or more damaging than normal thanks to their ability to carry more. Either that or they'd carry a variety of weapons around so they can quickly deal with any given situation.

Again, this is an RPG/adventurer's perspective problem. In modern warfare, twice as many guns doesn't mean twice as much effect, it's much more complicated than that. There comes a certain point whereby you get saturation - shooting more bits doesn't do anything more (as it the real world doing a Hollywood charge across open ground will get you just as killed with one machine gun or coldbeam as four or five!) Something I realised myself as I was trying to work out how the Jalyrkieons would fit into Manouvre Group. (What effectively it does is break the squad into smaller fireteams, each of whom's gunnery is a match for a full squad of everybody else, but in comparison to a full squad, has something of a glass jaw in terms of defending against assaults, where - heroes aside - being out-numbered is more of a problem. It's good, but not war-winning all by itself.)

Four miniguns - though certainly looking very cool, I'll grant you! - would be thus rather wasteful in practical terms. (And also miniguns are generally support weapons, so you'd be looking at more like two per Jalyrkieons, rather than four, which would be pushing it a bit.)
    Again, limited weapons knowledge. I used miniguns because they're the first thing that came to mind when I tried thinking of something big that ate a lot of ammo. I'm sure there's more efficient weapons they could be using. Not that that really solves the issue of them being able to track enough targets to warrant so much firepower anyway.

Stealth teams could be interesting though. They would need to have more powerful telekinesis, but they could use it to slip explosives/gas bombs/blunt objects/etc around corners and deal with guards and other obstacles without risk of being spotted. They'd also need a small camera or something so they can actually see around the corner, but if they're powerful enough to move objects around corners they can probably manipulate a camera as well.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show

Zevox
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as the ending went, I thought it did make some sense. The babies pretty clearly matured faster than human babies, so they were more like a year to a year and a half of human maturity at 1 month. That made them old enough to have some awareness of what was going on, and they felt bad for Pinkie Pie by the end, thus doing the flour joke. At that point, they had been running all over all day and got tuckered out. Also, hopefully Pinkie put the diapers back on while putting them to bed.

Regarding Scootaloo's ability to fly, there was word of Faust that Scootaloo hadn't figured out how to fly yet, which suggests that it simply varies for each pony.
    http://comments.deviantart.com/4/1603670/1897651329
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    If we are looking at the ponies as characters to relate to, then Applejack is the average, everyday person. In a group of people, they aren't all going to be seen as crazy or with personality disorders. You don't want to be thinking well gee, I don't have some wacky quirk to make me stand out, I must be a boring friend! I mean, the show is intended for young girls. You don't want to be handing out the impression that something is wrong if you are normal and dependable.

Still, I'd like to see more Applejack-staring episodes. Being "normal" doesn't mean you have to be background or sidelined, after all.
    Well the analyzation is obviously not to be taken 100% seriously. It's just an interesting read on each character's personality, and, as you can see, Apple Jack's is lacking.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ogre in the Playground

New Ep
    Spoiler
    Show

Somehow not surprised that JJ got it first. SpeccY's done a ton of stuff for this episode too.

Old Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Orc in the Playground

So, first day of drawing something everyday, with more than three hours to spare until midnight. Victory.

My delivery on the subject matter however is of course several hours past fashionably late, and I fear that this might become a trend. This is the your faithful prince, a mile behind the bandwagon. Hi Aotrs!

Spoiler
    Show

Hopefully it'll be successfully uploaded. Enjoy the Dazzling Splendour of my Artistic Genius!
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-14 at 02:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

New Episode: (As usual, pre-thread impressions)

Spoiler
    Show
    Huzzah!

Bobcat and I totally called it! (For reals this time!) Pony genetics for the win!

Bobcat mate, high-five, wherever you are!

Ahem.

Arr, that were a good 'un.

Prediction: Ponythread pancratic armageddon approaches, if they survive the episode, the resultant fanart will by catastrophic.

(I'm also going to award myself ten points for every pancreatic destruction/cuteness overload I read, when I go back through ponythread.)

I've been around more than enough small children (sisters, nieces, and Mum was a babysitter for a while) to dispel any illusions. Baby are fun - when they're someone else's (especially if you can be the Evil Uncle and corrupt them somethine rotten...!)

(And you, Dexam, have this all to come...!)

I laughed especially hard when Poundcake dumped his bowl on his head. My sister, as a baby did that once, and we have a truly hilarious picture of her in her highchair, bowl on head at just that angle, sucking her fingers in that way babies do, and underneath the caption "this is not my dinner, this is a hat!"

Also, I feel that it must clearly be stated again:

Ponies.

Have.

Superpowers.

Superpowers.

Spoiler
    Show

Did you see Poundcake, a foal of only a month of age KICK THE TAP OFF without even trying? And carry around a fully-adult pony? (Well Pinkie Pie.) At full speed?! And ceiling walking?

And, wow Pumpkincake has some serious magic skills!

Frag, yeah!1

Also, gotta say, Scoot, what are you playin' at, lass? Poundcake can fly already! Little bit of a slow starter, eh?

Or...

Or...

*gasp*

The Cake Twins are very actual superheroes, even by pony standards, and...that...means they have super superpowers!

Ooer.

I...I don't have a reaction for that!

SiuiS! Help!

We still can't say anything concrete about pony maximum lifespan, except that they certainly mature at a phenominally fast rate! WELL beyond even terriestial equines. I mean, I know horses can walk about an hour after birth, but... First word within a month? Damn, guys, damn! Ponies not only have superpowers, they are also clearly super-intelligent...!

Also, I wonder if Twilight's apparent prior experience of babies is due to Spike, or whether there's another story behind that (not that the former wouldn't be a story in and of itself...) I'm also guessing that Pinkie is likely the younger of her sisters, or there wasn't a lot of gap between them, as even at a young age, I understood about the workload of babies (and my oldest sister is only four years younger than me).

And that makes me sudden think of you, Raz, and I suddenly I hope you found this episode as enjoyable as I did and not too painful. Still thinking of you and yours, mate, just so you know.

1I now I feel an entirely inappropriate urge to sing "Caa-ke Twins! Frag Yeah!" everytime they show up, and depressingly don't feel sorry in the slightest.

Right, back to see what everyone else said, expect quotepost in near future...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-01-14 at 03:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Titan in the Playground

On Season 2, Episode 13
    Spoiler
    Show

……the synopsis to this episode….is Pinkie Pie taking care of two toddlers….

-I hate Pinkie Pie
    -I hate toddlers

I have a feeling that I'm going to hate this episode…..looks like the number 13 hates me today and has decided this episode means bad luck to me. grumble, grumble, GRUMBLE!!!!!!!!

It starts with the ponies looking at babies! I already hate it! its not even thirty seconds and I already don't want to watch this!

Heh, like the ancestry joke, looks like ponies can interbreed...interesting

also, I like Pinkie Pie being shushed! I hope she keeps being quiet! heheheheheheheheheee……

looks like Pinkie Pie has no idea what "responsibility" means MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

even babies hate pinkie pies songs! AHAAHAHA!!

torture each other! TORTURE EACH OTHER!!! FOREVER!! ahahahahahaaa!

darn the torture ended.

nevertheless, I hate this episode, the only good thing about it was the ancestry and genetics bit at the beginning, unless you count my hatred of both of babies and pinkie pie rising to the surface and laughing like a maniac as those two torment each other….after all, who doesn't love it when two of your enemies go to war against each other? Muahahaha.

I hope the next episode is better. Only liking this one for my two hatreds torturing each other makes me consider this a low point episode.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

24. - Top - End - #924
    Troll in the Playground

S02E13 impressions:

Spoiler
    Show
    Well Pinkie is probably my least liked pony, so I hadn't the best predisposition when I started the episode.

Not my favourite, but was decently enjoyable all throughout (unlike last episode which I disliked 'till the end, which was super-awesome). Very Looney Toons-ey, which is exactly what I was expecting.

Pinkie's antics where kinda weak, I felt. She usually does better. The babies carried the episode though. Just HNNNNNNNNNNNG.

Having pony genetics canonised as 'pretty much anything goes' was good, too.
    Truth resists simplicity.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    New Ep

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, considering the high degree of strength demonstrated by the Cake children (knocking off faucet and Pound Cake pushing himself out of taped down box) either ponies really are superhuman, he's a future olympic weightlifter, or Pinkie Pie really was hallucinating part of that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Superpowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Altaria87 View Post
    New Ep:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, my first thought upon learning that two earth ponies can have a unicorn and a pegasus was that it means that Dinky being Ditzy Doo's child now has a canon, non-adoption explanation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I always have thought it should work that way, myself, and I always assumed Dinky was Ditzy's natural daughter - so I'm very pleased to be right!

Now all we need to concrete proof of the relationship on screen and we're golden...

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    new eps

Spoiler
    Show
    So much fan expaining to do, cause the cake kids might just be the next generation elements or super babies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Super superpowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    New episode:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...was hilarious! So much fun!But.... less than 15 minutes after the ep ended... there was this.

HOW!?
    Pffftahahahaha!

Also, WOW that was fast!

first thoughts
    Spoiler
    Show
    D'aww with the flour babies

Pinkie Pie Ow!! My poor Pancreas
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right, that's 20 points! (Hush, the first one totally counts. 'Specially since you're actally the first to say something...!)

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Episode thoughts.

Spoiler
    Show
    As for why Pound Cake can fly, perhaps weight ratios? He doesn't weigh enough to keep him grounded? Perhaps Scoots hasn't grown into her wings yet.
    Pumpkins casting must be instinctual. She probably can't do it on command once she gets older, and she probably has the power from the mentioned spell surges.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The first is a logical possibility, the second seems likely, but, of course, the best explanation is still

Super superpowers!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Loved the episode.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The babies were so much D'aww, especially toward the ending!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, thirty points... Damn, I should have awarded points for "times you caused me to say 'superpowers'"...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post

Oh, of course they'd still need weapons for long-range engagement and likely anti-tank weaponry, that was just an extreme example. If they're still powerful and accurate enough to put a long-rod penetrator through an enemy or two at mid/close range they would probably be more likely to advance that technology than worry about finding smaller/better ways to launch it. No sense in developing a pistol if you're certain you can kill an enemy with a knife with the same range of effectiveness right?
    There is some truth in that. Though anything that powerful would likely quickly attract all sorts of unpleasant attention, the sort that can take a long rod penetrator to the metaphorical face and not blink... (Strayvian armoured vehicles, for one.)

You monster. The elves? I can't think of any more terrible torture than to be stuck in a room with those stuck-up little buggers!
    It's what I do!

I see your point though. I'm not much of a military man, so my knowledge of weapons is somewhat lacking. I guess just taking normal weapons and removing the grips and whatnot from them would be enough to make it more appropriate for something developed by creatures capable of telekinesis. They'd still need some way to carry it long-term though, so probably still have some straps on the weapon or hooks so it can clip on to their saddlebags. That and the weapons would probably be bigger and/or more damaging than normal thanks to their ability to carry more. Either that or they'd carry a variety of weapons around so they can quickly deal with any given situation.
    Bigger probably wouldn't be helpful, as you'd run into bulk problems and the last thing you'd want to do is make it even more difficult to take cover, as they aren't superpowered like some equines, and are thus not bullet-proof. I like Rebel Hero's modular weapons idea, though, because that would be doable with their TK fair easily (it'd probably be no more difficult than changing weapons if you sorted the technology right), so yeah, I think variety is the name of the name.

Again, limited weapons knowledge. I used miniguns because they're the first thing that came to mind when I tried thinking of something big that ate a lot of ammo. I'm sure there's more efficient weapons they could be using. Not that that really solves the issue of them being able to track enough targets to warrant so much firepower anyway.
    Thinking about it, you could probably get away with something that fired a little bit less fast (because you can get away with a slightly lower RoF because you've got twice as many guns) with a bigger punch, for dealing with light vehicles and heavy infantry - some sort of heavy energy weapon maybe. Or you have rapid-fire energy rifles for rate of fire, which would at least be more tolerant of ammunition expenditure (or power-pack drain in this case).

I'm very sorely tempted, if and when I ever get to table-top modelling them, to have a minigun as the squad support weapon, because it would be cool!

Stealth teams could be interesting though. They would need to have more powerful telekinesis, but they could use it to slip explosives/gas bombs/blunt objects/etc around corners and deal with guards and other obstacles without risk of being spotted. They'd also need a small camera or something so they can actually see around the corner, but if they're powerful enough to move objects around corners they can probably manipulate a camera as well.
    Stealth teams are lethal! Nevermind about anything else, they're the guys who have had the ninja training that lets 'em crush your windpipe with TK, or stop your heart, or go all Eight Trigrams Gentle Fist on you from twenty feet away...!

But yes, they would certainly have a lot of advantages. Though the scanners somewhat eliminate the need for having to peer around corners, having one to hand certainly wouldn't hurt - they've got the spare carrying capacity, right?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    So, first day of drawing something everyday, with more than three hours to spare until midnight. Victory.

My delivery on the subject matter however is of course several hours past fashionably late, and I fear that this might become a trend. This is the your faithful prince, a mile behind the bandwagon. Hi Aotrs!

Spoiler
    Show

Hopefully it'll be successfully uploaded. Enjoy the Dazzling Splendour of my Artistic Genius!

...in colour...

I...

Emergancy Awesome Overload Transfer!

Error: overload in cranial capacity dete-

*WarDroidtriplesplode*

... was not completely unprepared for that!

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me, can't fool me three times 'cos I've taken...precautions..., as the Aotrs saying goes.

Boy, am I glad you did that to the WarDroid and not me. I think I need to change my underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Even Human View Post
    S02E13 impressions:

Spoiler
    Show

Pinkie's antics where kinda weak, I felt. She usually does better. The babies carried the episode though. Just HNNNNNNNNNNNG.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forty. Seventy if I count Orzels' three "Hnngs" from earlier, which I didn't at the time but totally am now.

Huh.

Ponythread, I am disappoint...
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-01-14 at 03:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Superpowers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Super superpowers!

Spoiler
    Show
    The first is a logical possibility, the second seems likely, but, of course, the best explanation is still

Super superpowers!

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, thirty points... Damn, I should have awarded points for "times you caused me to say 'superpowers'"...

Bigger probably wouldn't be helpful, as you'd run into bulk problems and the last thing you'd want to do is make it even more difficult to take cover, as they aren't superpowered like some equines, and are thus not bullet-proof. I like Rebel Hero's modular weapons idea, though, because that would be doable with their TK fair easily (it'd probably be no more difficult than changing weapons if you sorted the technology right), so yeah, I think variety is the name of the name.

New Ep?
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm starting to see why that picture was drawn...

Old Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #927
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWordofTruth View Post
    Sup guys, new to the forum, heard about it form the meetup. i was the dude in the beenie

I realize this is extremely late but I wanted to say Hi and Welcome to the thread! :D

If you'd like you can come join us in the IRC!

28. - Top - End - #928
    Orc in the Playground

...in colour...

I...

Emergancy Awesome Overload Transfer!

Error: overload in cranial capacity dete-

*WarDroidtriplesplode*

... was not completely unprepared for that!

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on me, can't fool me three times 'cos I've taken...precautions..., as the Aotrs saying goes.

Boy, am I glad you did that to the WarDroid and not me. I think I need to change my underwear.
    Always aiming to kill please.

Probably supposed to talk about the new episode here, spoilers ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought it alright. The Questionable Parentage joke was just cruel. Pinkie o'clock now canonically confirmed. Last act baby antics kinda broke verisimilitude,but the letter was very well put together, so whatever.

And before it is forgotten, Fresh from the Prince's mindgutters: (Spoilers, yo)

Spoiler
    Show
    "This is a crib, it is only to be used for napping, sleeping and on occasion, with permission, as an old-timey western fort" That is certainly a... new way to call it.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-14 at 03:52 PM.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

Spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite liked it overall! I was gonna say 'Superpowers. Shhhh. Superpowers.' but you beat me to it.

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

New Episode:

Spoiler
    Show

That is all. :3