New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Temples of Dalachrech I

[Underside Temple]

"A reasonably defensible idea," Kail says. Acanthops stirs, and Kail says, "I think he's hungry. Would you mind bringing the temple slaves over? He drinks blood and I've already given him some of mine."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Orc in the Playground

Underside Temple

"Oh really? Maybe you should get one of your own, like I have Sylvia. Sylvia, could you go to the Punishment Room and grab a pair of sharp knives before finding One or Two, please?" From her voice, it's rather obvious that she loves Sylvia, quite a lot. "Call me paranoid, but I'd prefer you use one of my own knives, and fetching two reduces the possibility of Sylvia accidentally bringing us one with an entirely unsuitable poison on the blade. Most just enhance the pain, but even so, they haven't done anything wrong and I don't want to cause them unnecessary distress." Charynrae smiles.
    "That's something you can't do on the surface; Defelent believes that the Temple Slaves are the property of Dalachrech and should therefore only feel pain by accident or as punishment. Although I and Defelent would both be honoured to donate blood if you need it." Omid doesn't smile at this slight reminder as to the differences between Chthonic and Middling Dalachrechianism.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

3. - Top - End - #783
    Pixie in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

Knives! Blades! Blood! Drink!

Eep! Sylvia didn't expect that was in store for her friends! Blood packs on legs they are not! She's got to help them! Incisions are so...unhygienic! Infections and cuts go hand in hand and cheek to cheek! Infections can be terminal! So can loss of blood!

Sylvia cannot understand why Kail is feeding her child as such. It's...disgusting and unclean!

Sylvia never wants children! Never! Nobody will chug her vital fluids!

"Um..."

"Okay, Charynrae. Just gimme a minute."

And Sylvia slithers off to warn her fellow slaves!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

Kail smiles at Omid, "I appreciat that, as I'm sure Acanthops does as well." He lets out a little noise, almost on cue, and reaches a pincer up to his mother's dress, opening his blue eyes. before slamming his little head against her chest.

Kail will wait patiently for everything to arrive so she can feed her son.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Orc in the Playground

Underside Temple

"He is a gorgeous baby. It's much harder for driders to produce offspring, you know; too many spidery instincts that don't mesh well with the drow higher brain functions. Or perhaps mesh too well." Specifically, an urge to devour one's mate shortly after the act, though Charynrae has thus far managed to avoid it with Sylvia. Or at least avert it.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Pixie in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

Soon enough, Sylvia (who's name I shall eventually change, probably), One, and Two reenter/enter the chamber. In tow, they're hauling a mug, fungus, Sylvia's obsolete silk garments, two knives, and a medley of herbs. The procession approaches Charynrae, Kail, and Omid. One steps forward and attempts to bow to Charynrae as she greets her thusly.

"Reverend Mistress, it has come to my attention that we are housing a baby that is not nursed but feeds on blood. The acquisition of that nourishment is dangerous, as the mother could be slain inadvertently if a slight miscalculation with a blade is made or if pathogens enter the body through the wound. In light of this, and of course with your permission, Reverend Mistress, I'd like to offer my services as a mage to you and your guest that we may invent a permanent solution that will involve no slit blood vessels for the health of the mother and myself. Mainly the mother."

"Will you allow this?"

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ogre in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

Kail's eyebrows shoot up. Well, that's not what she'd been expecting, "Well, I certainly wouldn't say no to an offer like that."

8. - Top - End - #788
    Orc in the Playground

Underside Temple

"Of course! But, so you know, I was going to heal the wound with my magic immediately afterwards, thus minimising the risk of death and disease. And by asking Sylvia to fetch two knives, I increased the likelihood of her fetching one without an irritant upon the blade, and also fetching one sharp enough that to do the deed with a minimum of stress." Meanwhile, I can't remember if Charynrae knew One was a mage or not.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Pixie in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

I remember One accidentally trying to hypnotize Will with hand motions in an extremely primitive spell. She's more of an enchantress than a mage, I guess, considering that her power is derived largely from symbols that channel her mana and concentration as opposed to short strings words.

"Thank you for your kindness, Reverend Mistress."

One kneels and begins her task, carving a shape onto the mug with a knife. After she does so, she arranges the herbs, fungus, and spider silk around the mug as the vertices of a triangle. She chants two-minute long incantation under her breath as the the reagents turn to dust and the symbol crackles to life, glowing with hot pink energy as One holds her hand out to Two, who had run off to heat one of Charynrae's blades over a fire to cleanse it of pathogens. If Charynrae had any copper blades, the copper blade will have been the edge selected for this segment of the ritual. One pokes her index finger with the blade and a sample of blood drips into the mug. The fluid disappears before it even touches the bottom of the mug.

One will then pick up the mug, the symbol still flashing with hot pink magic, and attempt to turn it over to Kail.

"Your turn, ma'am. You must wish the blood into the mug for the mug to fill."

And it only has four uses every twenty-four hours. So if Kail's son drinks more than four mugs of blood per day, she'll want to visit the blood shoppe HT is running!

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

Kail nods, and focuses on the cup, desiring it to be filled with blood. Assuming it is, she'll give some to Acanthops, who drinks it greedily. The others will have the chance to speak as she focuses on feeding her baby.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Orc in the Playground

Underside Temple

Charynrae watches the process with much attention. "Can you make anything else, One?" She's very interested in the answer. Especially if it works.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Pixie in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

Certainly! The cup should fill with blood without a single hitch! Note, the cup, while fragile by no standard, can be broken as easily as a normal cup, just in case it doesn't mesh well with the road you have laid out for Kail.

"Yeah. I am well-versed in enchantments. I can fabricate anything from bottles of emollient and water to blades of fire and ghostbane honed to an edge superior to anything a hammer could ever possibly craft. It's just a matter of getting my hands on an adequate supply of reagents."

One draws in a deep breath in and out. The enchantment has drained some of her power, but not much.

"I may be a 'remorseless' witch of the Great Desert, but I can't make something out of nothing."

She confides, half-expecting Charynrae to retaliate with a sordid diatribe like the majority of people have upon hearing of her history.

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

Appreciated, but unnecessary. I hadn't really considered how feeding Acanthops would work when I gave him his razor sharp teeth, so this is a good solution

"Well, either way, I appreciate the effort you went to to make this. It'll make sure that he grows well."

14. - Top - End - #794
    Orc in the Playground

Underside Temple

Acanthops' daddy started feeding him blood after he was born; Kail hadn't woken up, and the fangs make that impractical besides.

"I take it the remorseless witches of this Great Desert has quite a reputation. However, I've never heard of the Great Desert, as I suspect you've never heard of the city I called home before I became a drider. Do you think you could make something like this?" Charynrae walks over to a wall and reaches in, taking out a rapier with an eerie cold blue glow. She'll profer the weapon to One, trusting her to remember what will happen upon her death regarding the spiders.

15. - Top - End - #795
    Pixie in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

One would never attack Charynrae. Charynrae hasn't injured her mentally or physically. In fact, Charynrae has treated her better than any outsider ever has in her whole, entire life!

One will curtsy to Kail once again.

"I'm happy that I was able to assist you. You can repay me by taking good care of yourself in the future. Every child deserves to know his or her loving mother. If you maim yourself to nourish him, it'll be hard for you to live a long and prosperous life."

One will then readily accept Charynrae's magical rapier. She'll turn it over in her hands thrice, holding it aloft and measuring the distribution of the weight, checking the curve of the blade, thrusting it once into the open air to memorize how it punctures and slices the air, and finally attempting to identify the magic of the blade with her own enchantment expertise.

"Maybe I could... Where did you get this, Reverend Mistress? What does it do and what do you want it to do?"

"If we could get our hands on some of the herbs One needs to weave her magic, I could construct a garden for them founded on the principles of hydroponics. We could even grow fresh fruits and vegetables for Dalachrech's worshipers! Can we, Reverend Mistress? Please?"

Two interjects! She's already mentally drawing up blueprints for the gardens. It'll be so functional and cozy, she promises herself!

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ogre in the Playground

[Underside Temple]

Kail stays quiet, letting One and Two have their moment. After all, they're doing well, so she doesn't want to interrupt when they could get something they want.

Acanthops gurgles happily into the blood, even as he drinks it. Yum yum!

17. - Top - End - #797
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Riverside Temple]

Cassidy approaches the entrance to the Temple. Didn't look like much of one to her, but she wouldn't mention that. Her trenchcoat conceals her SMG, the only weapon she is carrying. She was just here to get info, not to smack the place.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Orc in the Playground

Underside Temple

"Dalachrech told me where to find it. It was in a drow's treasure-chamber, taken from the body of Dalachrech's last drow cleric. It's an ancient relic of the faith." The sword is well-balanced, slightly enhanced to make it easier to wield though the main enchantment chills the blade to well below freezing temperature. The rapier's sheath has been dyed deep purple and has an ornate gold leaf pattern of centipedes upon it, and the basket hilt is embossed with a two-tailed scorpion. It was created by a cleric, not a wizard, if that helps or hinders One's ability. "A hydroponic garden? That may be a good idea. How much space will be needed, and how much light?" The Temple's not very well lit, after all.

Riverside Temple

One of the Temple's two doors is closed, but the other stands open. There's a catgirl in her late teens standing next to the door wearing a knee-length blue skirt and a matching blouse. Pinned to the chest of her blouse is a two-tailed scorpion-shaped brass enamelled badge. Her eyes are green and her hair is shoulder-length and a bluish-black colour.

19. - Top - End - #799

[Riverside Temple]

Cass approaches the open entrance to the temple, and nods at the catgirl. "Greetings, omae. Is this one of the churches of Dalachrech?" She starts with. She's pretending to be polite, and does it pretty well.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Orc in the Playground

Riverside Temple

The catgirl smiles and nods gently. She doesn't say anything, however. She can't say anything; her tongue was removed a long time ago, and she's forbidden from opening her mouth.

21. - Top - End - #801

Riverside Temple

"Well, how would I go about learning more about you fine folks?" Cass asks, doing her darndnest to seem friendly.

22. - Top - End - #802
    Orc in the Playground

Riverside Temple

The catgirl smiles again and will try to take the Ritter of Sznovf's hand before leading her inside. If Cass avoids the catgirl's hand, she will nod and motion to be followed before heading inside.

23. - Top - End - #803

Riverside Temple

Cass does avoid the mute girl's hand. She was being friendly, not careless. She follows her inside, keeping note of her surroundings.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Orc in the Playground

Riverside Temple

Beyond the door is a large chamber that looks far more like a Temple. At the far end is a stone altar draped with cloth of gold; resting upon it is an idol depicting a centipede like creature with three scorpion tails at one end, a stag beetle's head at the other and just behind that head a pair of praying mantis claws. The door is sideways-on, and enters between two of many rows of pews heading down the chamber. This room takes up most of both house's ground floors; the internal walls have been demolished to make space. The occasional marble-clad pillar replaces those walls which were load-bearing. It's very well-lit; there's many ornate candle holders, each holding a candle that, despite being unlit, glows with a solid, even light.

The catgirl will lead Cass to an ornate mural and motion for her to wait, but not for long. The catgirl will then reach out and pull a certain carved centipede and pull, revealing a hidden door, before heading in and closing the door behind her.

25. - Top - End - #805

Riverside Temple

Cassidy manages not to look uncomfortable in the temple. Religions always reminded her of Humanis. She does wait, standing in place.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Orc in the Playground

Riverside Temple

I have no idea what Humanis is.

After a short period of time amongst the awesome architecture and ornate ornamentation, the hidden door will open again and Defelent will appear. "Hello, you're the visitor who'd like to know more, are you? I'm Defelent, the High Priest of this Temple. Sarah could not tell you what you want to know, I'm afraid; she's a mute." Because Defelent cut out her tongue. Sarah isn't even her name, probably; he didn't ask what they were called before hand, and gave them numbers afterwards, and he can't call her 'Four' to somebody he doesn't know.

27. - Top - End - #807

Riverside Temple

They're a human supremacist group.

Cassidy straightens up as Defelent appears. "Most people call me Twig. And don't worry about Sarah, I understood her fine. I'd like to know more, yeah."

28. - Top - End - #808
    Orc in the Playground

Riverside Temple

"OK then Twig. Are the questions for religious or journalistic reasons?" Because if they're religious they can speak down here in the obviously religious part of the building; if they're journalistic he can take her up to his office without spoiling the splendour of the mundane business behind divine worship.

29. - Top - End - #809

Riverside Temple

"Religious," Cassidy replies without missing a beat. "I've been questioning my place as of late. She figures that Defelent will be more suspicious of a journalist than a potential convert.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Orc in the Playground

Riverside Temple

"In that case, let's sit down and you can ask away. If it helps, there's a sermon in... About ten minutes." Or soon enough that it's after the questions but far enough away that they can talk for a while before it gets in the way.