New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Nasuverse general discussion thread

So, I'm pretty sure there are at least a few other Type-Moon fans here on the forum. Anyone want to chat about the Nasuverse, ?

Personally, I'm looking forwards to the subbing of Fate/Prototype. Seems interesting, to say the least...
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Nasuverse general discussion thread

I don't have the attention span to sit through a Nasu VN, but I quite like the cracktastic setting. Also I've recently gotten addicted to Battle Moon Wars. Huge crossover loaded with obscure in-jokes and running entirely on the power of Awesome? Works just as well for urban fantasy as it does for giant robots.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've stopped caring about Fate/Whatever since Hollow Ataraxia and Zero, just sayin'. I'm eagerly awaiting Mahoyo, especially after the teaser came out. It's like it'll actually see the light of day!

Also, Battle Moon Wars is the best tactical RPG I've ever played.
    Arcueid Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I don't have the attention span to sit through a Nasu VN, but I quite like the cracktastic setting.
    I don't really either. That's why I read the LP of Fate and am working on reading Tsukihime.

Also I've recently gotten addicted to Battle Moon Wars. Huge crossover loaded with obscure in-jokes and running entirely on the power of Awesome? Works just as well for urban fantasy as it does for giant robots.
    But... It isn't really that much of a crossover, is it? Because Zelretch.

Also, are you using a translation patch for it? If so, which one? Been meaning to give BMW a shot, so...

[QUOTE=Lifeson;12487293]I've stopped caring about Fate/Whatever since Hollow Ataraxia and Zero, just sayin'. I'm eagerly awaiting Mahoyo, especially after the teaser came out. It's like it'll actually see the light of day![QUOTE]

But... What about Angel Notes?

Anyway, yeah. Seems like Mahoyo might be released.

Also, Battle Moon Wars is the best tactical RPG I've ever played.
    Again, you using a translation patch? If so, which one?
    Extended Signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Again, you using a translation patch? If so, which one?
    I use this one: http://games.seiha.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10
    Although I have to admit that I downloaded a pre-patched version from hongfire at the time (I did buy the game later on though!).
    Man I've been so addicted to this game.

A warning though, it will spoiler you into next week about at least Fate/Sn/Ataraxia and Tsukihime. So if you care about such things you might not want to start it before you feel finished with the VN's.

I'm actually re-reading Fate/SN at the moment with voices and the full Réalta Nua patch to get "the full experience". I'm just into the Fate-arc and I'm already getting pissed about Shirou.

Btw, I suppose spoilers are to be used for more in-depth discussion?
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2012-01-07 at 05:28 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    I'm actually re-reading Fate/SN at the moment with voices and the full Réalta Nua patch to get "the full experience". I'm just into the Fate-arc and I'm already getting pissed about Shirou.

Shirou is at his worse at FATE. I pretty much refuse to look at that thing again. He is a bit more bearable on UBW (compared to FATE at least) because he is actually competent, and I prefer his Heaven's Feel incarnation.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Fate is where Shirou is introduced. The other two routes are where he actually gets character development and his deep-seated personality issues are addressed (first one way, then another). Personally I think it's an annoying story structure, but I can at least see the idea behind it.

And yes, I'm using the Seiha Translations patch for BMW. I'd argue it's still a crossover, because even though the major properties involved are all created by Type-Moon, they're still pretty explicitly in at least two or three separate continuities. "Zelretch" is just an explanation for how this extra-weird combination came about - infinite possible universes, etc.

Also, if you haven't read this Fate/Stay Night LP, do so. He also just started on BMW.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2012-01-07 at 01:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    I use this one: http://games.seiha.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10
    Although I have to admit that I downloaded a pre-patched version from hongfire at the time (I did buy the game later on though!).
    Man I've been so addicted to this game.
    Yeah, it seems fun.

A warning though, it will spoiler you into next week about at least Fate/Sn/Ataraxia and Tsukihime. So if you care about such things you might not want to start it before you feel finished with the VN's.
    Let. It. Try. I know about the angry mayo, and referenced Kalidoscope himself. I actually spent a couple of days going through the Type-Moon wiki, just to improve my Nasu-fu, once.

Probably.

I'd argue it's still a crossover, because even though the major properties involved are all created by Type-Moon, they're still pretty explicitly in at least two or three separate continuities. "Zelretch" is just an explanation for how this extra-weird combination came about - infinite possible universes, etc.
    Eh... Got a point. Same's probably true for Carnival Phantasm.

Also, if you haven't read this Fate/Stay Night LP, do so. He also just started on BMW.
    Hm. I'll give 'em a look.
    Extended Signature.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Let. It. Try. I know about the angry mayo, and referenced Kalidoscope himself. I actually spent a couple of days going through the Type-Moon wiki, just to improve my Nasu-fu, once.
    Obviously you don't care about such things. ^^

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Fate/Prototype? I don't know that. Sounds interesting ... only 12-episode, though. Is there any more episode planned for this?

Something funny about me Nasuverse. I have never finished playing any game of it or watching any anime of it. And yet, I'm avid fan and hunt for its fanfics.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

How convenient that you made this thread. I just finished the 100% completion of FSN (visual novel with Realta Nua CG and voices; thanks Prime, Heaven's Feel alone made it more than worth playing over watching) and figured I'd type up something on Tsukihime (+ KT), Fate & Kara no Kyoukai. Spoilers a-plenty and rather long; put into tags for convenience.

Fate/Stay Night (Warning: Long):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Routes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fate finally convinced me that Nasu hates his characters. Now, I'll have to preface this; I identify rather strongly with the characters in most story-centric games. This was quite painful FSN. Fate as a story was actually pretty comfortable in this regard; the whole deal with Berserker, with Saber being near-death all the time and Shiro almost dying multiple times was painful, of course, but the story was still full of hope on a fundamental level. Berserker and eventually Gilgamesh/Kotomine as the big bads formed a line-up of strong but fair and beatable adversaries and the good guys' position remained reasonable throughout.

By contrast, Unlimited Blade Works and particularly Heaven's Feel were incredibly painful. Unlimited Blade Works starts going all wrong when Saber gets beat up by Kuzuki Soichirou, the whole deal with Fujimura and Saber getting mindraped, Archer trying to repeatedly kill Shiro... Biggest difference is that where-as Berserker and Gilgamesh are relatively chivalric and fair opponents (Kotomine less so but he isn't very committed to fighting), Caster is closer to something from a horror story. It was quite despair inducing and every time things seemed bad it kept getting worse. Until the last part at any rate.

And, of course, there's Heaven's Feel which is just evil. First you find out that Shinji is a total monster, and tries to take it out on Sakura. Then you find out about Sakura actually being a magus. Then Saber dies. And then you find out there's nobody who can defeat that black shadow. And then hundreds die. And the shadow gets stronger. And then you find out that Zouken is immortal and has control of Sakura. And then you find out that not only did Saber die, she's now evil. And Berserker too. And then Archer dies. And then you find out that Archer's arm will kill you. And then Ilya gets captured. And somewhere along the times you find out that Sakura can't be saved and wants to kill herself a few times (but can't 'cause of Shiro or Rider). And the only reason you're alive is 'cause nobody felt like killing you. And then you die by your own hand. Oh, and I could've really made do without a detailed explanation of the functioning of creatures called "lust worms".

Heroines:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The emotional windfall in the latter two paths was pretty immense for me. Of course, Fate had its ending to make up for being relatively happy otherwise. Then again, I don't mind bittersweet endings; eternal love and shining memories carry far. Indeed, this seems to be a theme in Type-Moon games. Last Episode pretty much confirmed this - though I have to admit, I'd be a bit surprised if nothing happens between Rin and Shiro after Saber disappears. They do appear to have feelings for each other regardless of the path, after all - hell, the only reason they hold back on Sakura's route is Sakura herself. Seems it remains that way even in the True End. Oh, and Cherry Blossoms' Dream should count as a bad end. Yeah, you saved Sakura but she's barely a shell of a human and remains that way throughout her life so you really saved nothing; apparently I can't stand Normal Ends in Type-Moon games.

The story was rather rough for everyone but Rin, really. Ilya and Saber; outside Fate-path Saber spends half of the story tortured or on the enemy's side, and in the one path where she does finally understand her wish and loves Shiro, she leaves mere seconds later. Sakura's part in Heaven's Feel was obviously horrible but given there's nothing to suggest that she actually had all that done to her on the other paths (what with Zouken not intervening with the whole grail war, Shinji having a legitimate Command-spell and all) I'm guessing that's only for Heaven's Feel. Certainly, the fact that the shadow doesn't appear suggests Sakura is not a Vessel in the other two paths. Ilya, by contrast, is killed on Unlimited Blade Works when her being Shiro's step-sister is revealed, and sacrifices herself in Heaven's Feel (let's face it, the normal ending is no ending) and spends most of Fate as a reluctant antagonist.

For whatever reason, I appear to like Rin most out of the bunch. I guess the game is sort of written that way, with her getting the best treatment & the most screentime, and Rin's route being considered "Shiro's Route". Her vexing tsundereness just seems to work really well on her personality and she seems to interact well with Shiro far as the story goes, making parts with Rin enjoyable to follow. She's also the source of much of the enjoyable comedy in the game, and seems to enjoy it alongside the player which is definitely bonus points. She's also the target of most of Shiro's snark throughout the game and the two form a rather beautiful equilibrium. Also, it doesn't hurt that she's a really contradictory and layered character.

Ilya would be my second favorite and I guess it's not surprising given she shares a number of qualities with Rin. She really gets the "little sister"-feel through and pulls the Yin/Yang play off real well. She's also intriguing since she starts off quite mysterious and while the cat's sort of out of the bag before then, you only get the big reveals in Heaven's Feel towards the end of the game.

Comedy:
    Spoiler
    Show
    With all this in mind, I was really thankful for all the intentional and unintentional comedy in the series. The constant plays on the characters' bashfulness with their emotions, and basically anything involving Fujimura and all the random jokes really help to carry through the otherwise heavy story with a smile. Some lines tried too hard but usually it worked out pretty well and I had a blast. Rin telling Shiro "You're the first person I've seen almost die three times in one day" was something that stuck to mind as hilarious in context. There's the fact that every big choice comes with "I don't need to think about it! The only X -" followed by two opposite options. Then there's the H-scenes many of which should count as comedy themselves...but that's to be expected when written by Nasu (H-scenes are not his forté).

Many such randomness made all those "wrong choices" worth viewing. Especially ones that involve a pissed-off Rin. "That's just imitation. You may be a sheep, but you are so mutated you could kill a wolf." - you can't come up with stuff like that.

Shiro:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Far as Shiro the hero goes, I found the altruist Shiro surprisingly tolerable (though I do prefer the pragmatist Archer at least when he's not trying to kill himself, but that's probably rather universal). Probably because such a character is easy for me to identify with; it's not too different from my own personality. It was...rather strange to have him abandon his ideal so willingly and easily for someone who's impossible to save but then again, I guess it's a plot point that impossibility never meant much for him.

I have to say, I was really disappointed the "Remain a superhero" option didn't have him kill Sakura. After all, he was the one who had promised Sakura earlier to kill her if she became evil; you'd think he'd want to keep the promise over the rules Rin tries to abide by - and if the rest of the game is anything to go by, Rin would relent if Shiro were to tell her that. The whole action feels so Shiro-like. Specifically, like Shiro is in UBW and Fate; and that choice means to remain that way.

Though I found the look they gave him, especially they way his eyes were drawn (they have those strange black rings in the iris), really weird for a normal student. Then again, I guess that might just fall under creative license.

Servants:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One peculiar thing about the show is that while Servants are initially presented as superior beings that can only be matched by other Servants, many humans beat Servants throughout the series. Off the top of my head:
    Kuzumi Soichirou has defeated Saber in single combat
    Rin has defeated Caster in single combat (also took one life off Berserker)
    Shiro has defeated Archer, Gilgamesh, Black Berserker and Black Saber in single combat

And Sasaki Kojirou, a Servant that's not really a Servant, fends off each of the martially minded Servants at least once in an evenly matched fight. I mean, yeah, Emiya using his Reality Marble is probably among the scarier humans and since he attacks with martial weapons, and specifically Noble Phantasms, he can bypass most of the Servants' natural defenses which makes him naturally suited for the job.

Still, the fact that he defeats multiple Servants alone throughout the series, and that he's not the only one either, raises to question how much a Servant's inherent power really differs from a human. Seems to me more like that part was bollocks and the Servants are so strong because of the powers they had as heroes. In the beginning the game also makes a fuzz about how Servants aren't but weapons and yet every single one seems to respond best to being treated as a human; we see this on Rider, Saber, Archer & Lancer. Really, it seems like the first explanation of "heroic spirits" is largely inaccurate.

Amusingly enough, the game also made me happy to have studied German. Even though meaningless, it was kind of interesting to know what was being said, or at least tried to. And if I hadn't, I might not have recognized Die Lorelei. I'll have to say, I was not expecting to utilize it here of all places.

I intended to write something on the others too but I appear to have spent stupid amounts of time and characters on this so I guess I'll do that another time. Note, this is merely me sorting out my thoughts of the game.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sakura's part in Heaven's Feel was obviously horrible but given there's nothing to suggest that she actually had all that done to her on the other paths (what with Zouken not intervening with the whole grail war, Shinji having a legitimate Command-spell and all) I'm guessing that's only for Heaven's Feel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, Shinji was visibly using the Book of False Attendance in all three routes. Which is made of Crest Worms.

The implication is that shortly after Fate and UBW, the apocalypse happens.

Spoiler
    Show
    I have to say, I was really disappointed the "Remain a superhero" option didn't have him kill Sakura. After all, he was the one who had promised Sakura earlier to kill her if she became evil; you'd think he'd want to keep the promise over the rules Rin tries to abide by - and if the rest of the game is anything to go by, Rin would relent if Shiro were to tell her that. The whole action feels so Shiro-like. Specifically, like Shiro is in UBW and Fate; and that choice means to remain that way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought he did kill Sakura, if you're talking about the "Mind of Steel" end.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-01-08 at 07:53 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Something that is quite sad, and a bit vexing for me, the revelation in Heaven's Feel made the end of other routes ...less good than what it may seems. It also make a burden for writing post-Fate or post-UBW fanfic, since the writer must address those things somehow.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Salbazier View Post
    Something that is quite sad, and a bit vexing for me, the revelation in Heaven's Feel made the end of other routes ...less good than what it may seems. It also make a burden for writing post-Fate or post-UBW fanfic, since the writer must address those things somehow.
    Well don't worry, because in Fate/hollow ataraxia Rin fools around with Kaleidoscope magic and manages to fuse the timelines.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Also, if I remember my Word of God retcons correctly, someone (from what I remember, a certain schmuck with the King of Bros for a Servant in F/Zero) shows up and dismantles the Great Holy Grail after Fate and UBW after Saber did such a good job beamswording the dangerous part.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Also, if I remember my Word of God retcons correctly, someone (from what I remember, a certain schmuck with the King of Bros for a Servant in F/Zero) shows up and dismantles the Great Holy Grail after Fate and UBW after Saber did such a good job beamswording the dangerous part.
    In theory that happens in any of the three routes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    In theory that happens in any of the three routes.
    Yeah, but whatever was left wasn't as much of a problem in HF because
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zouken and Kotomine are both dead, Shirou Excalibur'd the heart of the corruption, and Sakura and Ilya are under control and dead, respectively.
    At least until Ataraxia plot started, apparently.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

At least until Ataraxia plot started, apparently.
    To be fair, we got moar Bazzet that way.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nope, Shinji was visibly using the Book of False Attendance in all three routes. Which is made of Crest Worms.

The implication is that shortly after Fate and UBW, the apocalypse happens.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh. I find it hard to believe that the apocalypse were unavoidable at the end of either route though; both times the opened vessel of the Grail is smashed after all and Sakura does not have any servant spirits absorbed, and Kotomine is dead; don't know about Zouken.

But given the shadow doesn't appear once on either route, I think they will be alright. Too many pieces required for materialization of Angra Manyu don't seem to be in place. And well, if Last Episode is to be believed, they definitely were alright after Fate - it is implied Shiro lived a full life, after all.

I guess Nerdorama's explanation does make sense but I haven't read said retcons so I'll just have to take your word for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought he did kill Sakura, if you're talking about the "Mind of Steel" end.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I do believe it's "Mind of Steel". I'm talking about Bad End #30, last one on Day 9. You talk with Ilya outside the church immediately after Kotomine has treated Sakura. Ilya tells you she'll be your ally no matter what, and you get the decision to "...Persist on being a superhero." or "I want to protect Sakura." You enter the church, Kotomine tells you about the surgery, Rin says it's her job to kill a heretic magus, doubly so if she's her blood.

Both, Kotomine and Rin expect you to try to stop Rin but you say "I have nothing to say. But - if I can take your place, I will." Rin answers "No. This is my role. I can't give you this role." She proceeds to kill Sakura, Kotomine tells you the grail war will return to normal and that you'll win because you're Kiritsugu now. You state you'll never fight Rin, but Kotomine states you'll be forced to fight her as she'll go mad unless she obtains the Grail. Then Shiro pretty much goes "Yeah, I'll win to protect my ideal", and as Kiritsugu you won't lose. Unless there's a difference in translation or something.

Though I find it hard to believe that Shiro would actually kill either Rin or Ilya even if he did fight them, Kiritsugu or not. I guess that ending is trying to drill in how deep an event horizon he jumps over when he abandons Sakura.

By the way, I guess it's an empty wish but I wouldn't suppose any version of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia were completely translated? I only know of the visual novel patch which is sitting at 71% or something.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh. I find it hard to believe that the apocalypse were unavoidable at the end of either route though; both times the opened vessel of the Grail is smashed after all and Sakura does not have any servant spirits absorbed, and Kotomine is dead; don't know about Zouken.

But given the shadow doesn't appear once on either route, I think they will be alright. Too many pieces required for materialization of Angra Manyu don't seem to be in place. And well, if Last Episode is to be believed, they definitely were alright after Fate - it is implied Shiro lived a full life, after all.

I guess Nerdorama's explanation does make sense but I haven't read said retcons so I'll just have to take your word for it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Zouken also mentioned that he is nearing the end of his extended lifespan anyway in HF, and add that to the fact tha Archer didn't know about the Shadow, and yeah; Sakura gets a rough deal but the appocalypse is avoided. Also, F/Z spoilers happenes.

Also, Gil killed Zouken in UBW but how knows if that sticks.

Spoiler
    Show

Though I find it hard to believe that Shiro would actually kill either Rin or Ilya even if he did fight them, Kiritsugu or not. I guess that ending is trying to drill in how deep an event horizon he jumps over when he abandons Sakura.
    You really ought to finish reading F/Z in order to pass judgement on what Kiritsugu will or will not do, even Kotomine gives a brief TL;DR of his actions in HF.

By the way, I guess it's an empty wish but I wouldn't suppose any version of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia were completely translated? I only know of the visual novel patch which is sitting at 71% or something.
    IIRC F/HA is only a visual novel slice of life type thing. The only other Fate/Merchandise related thing I can think of that was translated is Fate/Extra (a game for the PSP).
    "Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by SITB View Post
    You really ought to finish reading F/Z in order to pass judgement on what Kiritsugu will or will not do, even Kotomine gives a brief TL;DR of his actions in HF.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm in the process of it. But still, in context of this particular ending I'm not thinking from an emotional but a practical point of view; I don't see Shiro/Kiri killing Ilya or Rin just for the sake of killing them, but only if he needs to in order to destroy the grail.

I guess the real question is how broken exactly Rin will be after she kills Sakura since that determines whether she'll fight Shiro to her death in order to protect it. Hm. Now that I think about it, I guess that's why the scenario was written with Shiro carrying the burden of killing Sakura either - it wouldn't be possible for it to be written as quite as complete a tragedy if he did.

Carrying out the promise himself would've fit Shiro's character far better IMHO though, and since that would've lead to a reasonable end I think it would've made for a better Normal End for the path than its actual Normal End. It feels like they forced the "Bad End" into that one; an end where Sakura gets her wish of being killed by Shiro to seal away Angra Manyu would've fit the mood of the path IMHO.
    EDIT: Ignore me, analysis based on flawed facts is worthless.

IIRC F/HA is only a visual novel slice of life type thing. The only other Fate/Merchandise related thing I can think of that was translated is Fate/Extra (a game for the PSP).
    I understand F/HA is like the Kagetsu Tohya of Fate though with less serious a tone (not that KT was wholly serious either). Hence why I'd like to play it through after F/SN. But yeah, I'm reading F/Z right now.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-01-09 at 08:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

IIRC Fate/unlimited codes was also translated.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm in the process of it. But still, in context of this particular ending I'm not thinking from an emotional but a practical point of view; I don't see Shiro/Kiri killing Ilya or Rin just for the sake of killing them, but only if he needs to in order to destroy the grail.

I guess the real question is how broken exactly Rin will be after she kills Sakura since that determines whether she'll fight Shiro to her death in order to protect it. Hm. Now that I think about it, I guess that's why the scenario was written with Shiro carrying the burden of killing Sakura either - it wouldn't be possible for it to be written as quite as complete a tragedy if he did.

Carrying out the promise himself would've fit Shiro's character far better IMHO though, and since that would've lead to a reasonable end I think it would've made for a better Normal End for the path than its actual Normal End. It feels like they forced the "Bad End" into that one; an end where Sakura gets her wish of being killed by Shiro to seal away Angra Manyu would've fit the mood of the path IMHO.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thing is, at that point in HF neither Shirou nor Rin know about Angra Manyu. Heck, they don't even know for sure (they may suspect something, but there's no definite proof yet) that Sakura's linked with The Shadow at all, or that she's a rogue Grail usurping Ilya's place and slurping Servant souls left and right. Kirei surely knows, but he hasn't explained that part yet. So, the only reason to kill Sakura at that point is because she's a magus that can go rogue at any point in time if Zouken wills it so. Thus, it's Rin's responsibility to protect her city and kill the threat before it becomes a real danger. Shirou even tells her that he will take her place if she wants and do it himself, but Rin insists that it's her role.

About Shirou killing Rin and Ilya, well, they don't know that the Grail is corrupted either. So the Holy Grail War would continue as normal, with Ilya presumably absorbing the Heroic Spirits released by Sakura after her death. No one is fighting to destroy or protect the Grail at that point, they're all fighting to win. And since Shirou's without a Servant, his best bet would be to go for the Masters, namely Zouken, Rin and Ilya. Just like daddy.

And yeah, unfortunately there's no full F/HA translation. It's been progressing slooooowly, but at least is hasn't stopped altogether. Sometime in 2027, maybe. *sigh*

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBlack View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thing is, at that point in HF neither Shirou nor Rin know about Angra Manyu. Heck, they don't even know for sure (they may suspect something, but there's no definite proof yet) that Sakura's linked with The Shadow at all, or that she's a rogue Grail usurping Ilya's place and slurping Servant souls left and right. Kirei surely knows, but he hasn't explained that part yet. So, the only reason to kill Sakura at that point is because she's a magus that can go rogue at any point in time if Zouken wills it so. Thus, it's Rin's responsibility to protect her city and kill the threat before it becomes a real danger. Shirou even tells her that he will take her place if she wants and do it himself, but Rin insists that it's her role.

About Shirou killing Rin and Ilya, well, they don't know that the Grail is corrupted either. So the Holy Grail War would continue as normal, with Ilya presumably absorbing the Heroic Spirits released by Sakura after her death. No one is fighting to destroy or protect the Grail at that point, they're all fighting to win. And since Shirou's without a Servant, his best bet would be to go for the Masters, namely Zouken, Rin and Ilya. Just like daddy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy ****. Thanks. My whole analysis was based on a huge mistake. I remembered that this took place after the encounter in the Einzbern Forest. Well then, that explains everything. I got Day 9 and Day 10 mixed. Blaming my mess of a brain.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2012-01-09 at 08:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

But... What about Angel Notes?
    Hush now we don't want to bring up that the end of the Nasuverse has already been written do we?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Hush now we don't want to bring up that the end of the Nasuverse has already been written do we?
    Written, predicted and completely and utterly unavoidable.

Even the more upbeat Melty Blood agrees, though the universe where Ryougi Shiki exists may be an exception.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

There do not appear to be any vampires in the KnK-verse. Draw your own conclusions from this.

Oh, and my personal theory is that BlazBlue is set between Angel Notes and Fate/stay night.

BlazBlue plot spoilers:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A plan to tap the power of Origin using artificially-created girls, large numbers of souls and a "Cauldron" backfires when one of them transforms into "The Black Beast" and contaminates the world with concentrated mana. During the war against the monster, weapons and genetically-engineered creatures are developed which can tap this mana.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2012-01-09 at 03:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

There do not appear to be any vampires in the KnK-verse. Draw your own conclusions from this.
    That would be rather singling things out on the thin basis that they play no part in the events of KnK. Given how much does certainly exist in both I'd venture they still exist there.

And certainly the underlying conditions that result in Angel Notes shouldn't be all that different.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    One peculiar thing about the show is that while Servants are initially presented as superior beings that can only be matched by other Servants, many humans beat Servants throughout the series.
    Spoiler
    Show

Soichirou – buffed by Caster.
    Rin has defeated Caster in single combat (also took one life off Berserker) – rank A magic
    Shiro – magic and reality marble at that.
    Sasaki Kojirou – he got on the level of True Magic just by swinging his sword and his other ability that basically makes you to fight him as if you fight him for the first time.

As for routes I prefer to judge them separately as making “because of HF every other route is dead end” is pretty cheap for a game that is supposed to be about choices. Personally, I think the only redeeming part of HF was Kirei.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Nasuverse? Oooh, nice!

For my part, just finished watching 13 episodes of Fate/Zero in two sittings during christmas, eagerly waiting for second half! :P
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"