New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Mithar Keep

[Library walk]

Uh, I suppose it would be alright, Dorota says a little uncertainly. I don't have much experience with telepathy, though.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library walk]

"Errr... I don't know if I'd feel all that comfortable with telepathy..." It seems intrusive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Library walk]

"I guess I just could send you letters if you feel uncomfortable with it. It will take a lot more time though." Neither of them know the power of the internet.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside Sakura's Room]

Harnel attempts to place a hand on Cessie's shoulder, "You're a good friend, willing to house someone who is having trouble in life. I hope he's back soon as well."
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library walk]

"Ah, well if swiftness is a necessity I suppose telepathy shall suffice." Or just send someone there. It can't be that far away. Everything's within walking distance in the Nexus!
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

[Library walk]

Dorota seems to ponder something.
    I believe I know of a recipe for communication amulets. Making three of them instead of a pair could prove a challenge, but I think it's possible...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

7. - Top - End - #487

[Outside Sakura's Room]

"Yes, but she's going to give birth Harnel, I can't imagine a worse time for him to be away. What if he ran away from responsibilities once again? What if he just... abandoned her? I can't believe such things about him but it scares me." Cessie replies, the last part rather quietly.

[Library walk]

"Ah, how do they work exactly?" Cessie asks curiously.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library walk]

Nadas looks to Dorota for the answer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

[Library walk]

They're pieces of mountain crystal, properly shaped, inscribed with runes and attuned to one another. When one amulet is held firmly in hand for a few seconds, it sends a signal to the other one. If the owner of the other amulet wants to, they can be then used to transmit sound between each other.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside Sakura's Room]

Harnel frowns and chooses to simply move into hugging Cessie, trying to comfort her. He doesn't have anything he can say to make her feel better about it. What could he say? 'I'm sure he just got killed instead'? That is by no means more pleasant than the alternative.

So for now he just tries to comfort her with his closeness, and the knowledge that nothing will be happening to him.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

11. - Top - End - #491

[Outside Sakura's Room]

Cessie really don't mean as much comfort as Sakura and it's still too early to assume really bad things but it was still worrisome with the baby coming and all. Needless she finds his presence comforting, "I'm sure it will be easier once you and Sarget are back to normal, just give me some more time and I will find the cure." She tells him in a low voice as they hug.

[Library walk]

"Ah, I think I might be able to guess the principle about them. How advanced are they exactly? How do we specify who we like to talk to? Or they automatically transfer to the other two?" Cessie asks.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

[Library walk]

They allow communication between their owners, regardless of who they are. It might be possible to attune them to certain individuals so only they may use them, but I'd have to check, Dorota explains. As far as I know, they allow for long conversations with good sound quality.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library walk]

"Those are definitely useful. How do they send their signals? What property of the mountain crystals allow them to do so? Do the runes enhance these properties?"
    Notes. They are being taken.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

[Library walk]

The mountain crystals are harvested in the northern mountain ranges of my homeworld. Their properties come from absobring the high ambient level of unreality - which is to say, magic - there, and can take many forms. The proper alchemical runes can focus those properties, and communication is one of the most popular uses, though there are others. As far as everyone can tell, it works by transporting voice through the etherial plane, which makes it instanteous. Dwarven jewelers have mastered the art of creating those talismans... goblin alchemists also use mountain crystal heavily, but they're not very interested in things that don't burn or explode, with an exception of golems.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-02-09 at 06:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #495

[Library walk]

"So the exterrestrial energies within your world can effect terrestrial material without alternation? Fascinating. Where I'm from you first require to infuse aether into terrestrial materials before you can do anything with them, the most practical method is using soul residue." Cessie explains as she sits down at a table in the library, sitting is nice, especially if you're pregnant.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library walk]

"Soul residue?"
    Nadas inquires.
    Scribble scribble.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

[Library walk]

In proper amounts given proper circumstances, yes. But I wouldn't necessarily call them energies. There are places where material reality is thin, allowing unreality to seep through, causing objects and even living beings to be partially infused with the infinite potential of supernal realms. This is why arcane magic is dangerous - when used too often, it wears away at reality, Dorota explains.

18. - Top - End - #498

[Library walk]

"Unreality?" The mage asks with a raised eyebrow. "Interesting choice of words, as for soul reside, it's basically what remains once a person died. Untampered it usually returns being terrestrial energy, but if used before the body rots away it can be used as kind of 'glue' for eldritch energy, as in enchantments." She explains.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library walk]

"Wouldn't that become problematic in terms of the underground murder and cadavar selling industry?" Or is it underground at all?

All the same, it does seem highly likely to be abused by certain unscrupulous people.

"What sort of living people have been infused with unreality?" Nadas asks Dorota.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2012-02-10 at 02:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

[Library walk]

Well, yes. You see, magic of my homeworld is based on the interaction between the real, material world, and the unreal realms of infinite potential. The unreality is limitless, but it can only gain definition and shape based on reality. Acts of magic inflct the nature of the unreality on the real, material world, one way or another - wizards to it by their will, mystics by faith, elementalist call back to the primal chaos and alchemists unlock the potential of unreality locked in material substances. As an answer to Nadas' questions, she says: All sorts. Quite often, it's wizards who make an error or abuse their magic... wizardry is the most poweful of supernatural arts but also the most dangerous. However, breaches in reality occur by themselves as well, mutating everything in the vincinity. Many of the mutants do not survive, having been transformed into something without basic functions of a living organism, but some do. There are whole species created by a powerful leak of unreality.

21. - Top - End - #501

[Library walk]

"Indeed, which is why necromancy and the enchanting it's associated with is strictly forbidden in Hestopia, the value of a human life goes down once the parts of a body go up sadly." Cessie says with a nod. "I think that's a pretty interesting way to divide what's real and unreal though Dorota. Of course, I'm not sure anything in the nexus is unreal considering what I have seen."

22. - Top - End - #502
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pantry

Kashi is here, roughly at the same point on the timeline as the dragon grave heist, with nothing to do and no one to play with.

So, for the last little while, all he's been doing is eating.

And eating...

And Eating...

He's already grown to his final, impressive length of twenty feet, and takes up most of the pantry as he curls around yet another bag of onions, scarfing them down like there's no tomorrow. With hardly anyone in the Keep to stop him, he'll continue eating until there's nothing left edible in the entire house!

Or someone comes across him like this, whatever happens first.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library walk]

"Really? What species are these?"

Unreality is interesting!
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

[Library walk]

The Nexus does throw a wrench in most magical theories, yes. As for what species were created this way... one example is the chimera. It looks more or less the same as on other worlds, and tends to be quite destructive to the local habitat. Another would be a cave-dwelling creature that's neither plant, fungus nor animal. It clings to the ceiling and uses tentacles to catch prey.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

[Pantry]

Thankfully not everyone is out of the keep, though just barely. Sakura has decided that she's feeling hungry, and has migrated to the kitchen. The dryad is quick to discover the dragon gorging himself...

What the heck is she supposed to do about this? Whatever it is, she can't let it eat all Cessie and Harnel's food. "Hey!" She calls, trying to get its attention away from the food.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pantry

Kashi's head leaps up to pierce Sakura with a curious look, an onion still dangling from his lips. The massive beast quickly slurps it down, the corners of his mouth turning up in a lizardy sort of grin.

"Snyui~! <Hi, who are you?>"
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

27. - Top - End - #507

[Library walk]

"Curious, we don't have any creatures like that naturally in our world, the closest thing would be spirits I think. The nexus is far dangerous then any of our wilderness, what we are warned about are things like the huldra or the neck which are forest spirits." Cessie replies.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

[Library walk]

Nadas wishes he could investigate this creature that defies classification. To classify it of course.

"So spirits are particularly dangerous where you're from? What comprises spirits exactly?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

[Library walk]

Interesting. I have little experience with spirits. They rarely come unless called and are immaterial, so their abilities are limited... the ones I'm familiar with, at least, Dorota says.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

[Pantry]

Sakura does not understand! Harnel should teach her draconic sometime or something. "I don't know who you are, but you can't eat all the food in here." Sakura says hesitantly. Hadn't Cessie mentioned something about this... Now she can't remember.