New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1485
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Mithar Keep

Outside

"... she is very impolite." Bark admits, looking like he's been extremely put-upon for going along with this.

"Do not bother cooking for us. Aeia is a dryad." As if that explains it all. There is, of course, no consideration for his own health. He does keep his voice to that same baritone low rumble it always is. For a giant, he's fairly softspoken.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside]

Aeia sticks her tongue out at Bark. Durned tree. "Yes yes, I'm sorry." She doesn't sound all that sorry, though. "A tour sounds cool."

Cessie and Harnel are amazingly tolerant.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    [Outside]

Not the first time something like that's happened, at least.

"As a matter of fact, I think the majority of people would consider it rude," Harnel says, "But since you're here now," he shrugs, "I'll go make something to eat. And please, don't talk to loudly. The babies were just put to bed and windows are too thin to really prevent hearing people getting loud."
    [Outside]

The nexus teaches tolerance.

The dryad's cocky attitude isn't lost to the sorceress however, some people really had to be taught some basic manners. She wouldn't be the one doing it though, not today. Hopefully they won't be too much of a trouble. She tells Harnel through their link. The dryad seems to be too curious for her own good.

"Just don't touch anything, okay?" Cessie says with a meaningful look at Aeia. Bark seemed to take this seriously at least. She approved. "In fact, don't try to interact with anything in general unless I tell you to." Hopefully her words wouldn't be lost upon them.

"So if that's clear, let's head over to the greenhouse shall we?" Cessie didn't want to admit it to herself, but she really wanted to show this particular section of the keep to someone as she had made by herself. Or well, she had bought it by herself at least. But it was custom made though!

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside]

"Well, either way, I'm going back inside. I'm too sore to be on my feet just yet," Harnel says, limping back into the keep, where he's going to sit down in his study and read, neatly exempting him from the scene

Have fun, anyways. No reason not to enjoy the things fate drops in your lap.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

5. - Top - End - #1265

Outside

Bark just grunts, Cessie's admonitions confirming his suspicions. She was the mage of the family then, and the one to be watched.

Harnel's leaving makes things easier, as Bark would have had to divide his attention between the threat of fire and the threat of magic had he stayed.

No doubt if this mage learned of their connection, she'd wish to pick up where the old wizard had left off. He would not allow that to happen.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside]

Aeia hooks her thumbs in the meager excuse for pockets her short shorts have. Her hands will stay right there... Probably. "Sure." The dryad will follow along. She's a bit curious about the greenhouse. She had a hard time look at it from above seeing as the trip down was rather rough.

7. - Top - End - #1267

[Outside]

"Good, follow me then." Cessie replies before leading them to the greenhouse. The door swings open as the sorceress approach it and closes as soon as they are all inside of it without any visible means.

The entire build, while not very large, is partly reinforced by enchantments. They don't cover much of the building just yet though.

Inside there are a lot of empty pots standing on a long table in front of them. There are a metal watering can and some bags of dirt but otherwise the only thing of real interest are the human shaped trees.

It appears to be apple trees of some sort as a the beginnings of the fruits already started to grow on the branches. "From these trees grow a special kind of fey fruit." Cessie starts explain as she goes closer to the trees. "I got a few apples from a young dryad named Terrie which have a profound effect on mortals. It causes them to take on fey like attributes for a short time and act closer to what some might refer to as 'fey-like' which is a gross simplification of course but people tend to act less controlled once they consumed the fruit." The mage explains as she seem to control the apples growth by looking at them carefully. "So I took the apple-seeds and planted them which resulted into these oddly shaped trees. I theorize that the seeds might have an even more powerful effect but I have yet to observe them in action just yet. I'm thinking to test them out eventually of course when there is time."

They might note a few seeds laying on a table nearby which she presumably used to grow these trees.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-06-26 at 01:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1268

Outside

Bark is having difficulty understand this mage. She names her experiments? The young dryad... Terrie, doesn't seem to be anywhere around here. Perhaps she's being kept in stasis somewhere hidden, while these trees grow enough to have their own dryads.

Yes, that makes sense from a mage's perspective. Always have spare bodies around to twist and warp when the whim comes to you.

The tree's ire curddles somewhere deep in his torso, but he does not show it in the least. He knows just how fruitless fighting a mage could be.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Ogre in the Playground

[Outside]

"They're kinda creepy." Aeia says she tries to put her hand on one of the trees and get a feel for it. Mostly she'd notice if there's anything particularly weird about them. "She made fruit? Weird." Aeia may flower, but she's never produced fruit.

10. - Top - End - #1270

[Outside]

They feel... apple tree-y, nothing special about them really.
    "I thought so as well at first but you get used to it. But Terrie did make fruit yes, she was born from an apple tree in Watchtower some distance away. I was actually the one who named her." Cessie explains as Aeia is looking at the trees.
    As she touches them she shakes her head however. "Try to remember your promise, those trees might not be dangerous but other things might be."

11. - Top - End - #1271

Outside

Bark nearly scowls at Aeia's actions. He has a sneaking suspicion that she's going to wind up hurting herself before they leave, unless they leave soon.

"If she cannot behave herself, we should go."

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Ogre in the Playground

[Touring]

"Whoops." Aeia pulls her hand away and puts both of them behind her back. "Won't happen again." She gives Bark a scowl briefly. "Um, so where's Terrie now?" She's assuming at this Watchtower place, since her tree's there and all.

13. - Top - End - #1273

[Touring]

"She's still at watch as far as I'm aware. She lives there as she don't really have anywhere else to go... except the forest I suppose." Dryads lived naturally in the forest right? "In any case, I guess we should go inside the keep itself unless you have any other alternatives. Let me just pick up these seeds." She starts picking up the apple seeds she left at the table.

14. - Top - End - #1274

Outside

Bark stops, not moving another inch, "No." No elaboration, no other words, just a stark refusal. He is not going into the mage's tower.

He'll fling Aeia over to the other side of the wall before he does. Without a rope.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Ogre in the Playground

[Touring]

Aeia turns on Bark and glares up at him. "You're being silly. There's nothing wrong here and she's not crazy and evil." Not all mages are the same. Probably.

No doubt poor Cessie will be confused.

16. - Top - End - #1276

[Touring]

What?

"Err... you can leave if you want but I assure you I do not wish you any harm." What was wrong with these people? "I'm aware mages have built up a bad reputation but I'm nothing like that." This really brought up bad memories, she hadn't been aware that people resented mages even in the nexus. She knew Wenomir didn't appreciate them but he was also in love with a magic user so it was nothing like this.

17. - Top - End - #1277

Touring

Bark stands resolute, a glower finally taking its place over his usual impassive stare. It's quite the intimidating look, and even Aeia hasn't seen its like on him yet.

"My... foolish, naive companion may have the memory of a fish, but I do not forget. I do not forget what it is like on the slab, knowing the only reason for your existence is another's whim. Mages have that power, to make all things their toys, and all minds helpless. No one could taste that power and not fall to its corruption eventually." There is no doubt in his voice, his bearing, or his eyes.

He does not turn to Aeia, but it's to her he speaks next, "She may not be a mad mage yet, but if you are willing to risk that today is the day her sanity breaks, you will do so alone. I will not enter a mage's tower, and I will not be responsible for what becomes of you inside." To Bark, saying those words must be the greatest of betrayals. Above all, his self imposed duty to keep Aeia safe and whole has always been what kept him moving, even if he indulged her reckless behavior. Now, he's hit his breaking point, put between his greatest fear and his most solemn duty, and chosen what he knows is the coward's path.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Ogre in the Playground

[Touring]

Aeia glares at Bark. Her jaw works, grinding her teeth together. She's silent through his speech, and stays that way for a few long seconds after.

"Fine!" She suddenly shouts. "We're going then! Are you happy?!" Without waiting for an answer, Aeia turns on her heels and walks away, heading for the exit.

19. - Top - End - #1279

[Touring]

"Perhaps you should question your own sanity before you question others Bark." Cessie tells the former tree coldly as the gates slowly opens for the two, allowing them to leave.

She had seen them before, heard stories about them. Insane bloodthirsty mobs of mage haters living in the shadow of civilization. But it wasn't until she had almost been killed by them she had realized how dangerous they really were. Had whatever had happened to the dryad's companion driven him to the same kind of madness she had seen in their eyes that day? Possibly. It was not a man she wanted to let anywhere near her children or her husband at least so she was glad he had decided to show his true colors.

She goes to the gate to wave them farewell at least, that was common curtsy. "Farewell."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-06-27 at 05:51 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1280

Leaving

"No." He says softly as Aeia storms off, following after her by instinct, but keeping a large gap between them.

When Cessie speaks to him, he does not stop walking, but he does turn his head so that she can see his eyes. There is sadness there, turmoil, and misplaced anger, but no madness. Even his fear, as all consuming as it has proven to be, is repressed.

"I know I am not well, and I will not fare well. I wish better for your children than the path you have chosen." With that blunt, yet confusing statement done with, He continues to follow Aeia, not saying another word.

21. - Top - End - #1281

Leaving==>Cessie's Laboratory

Choice? Choice?!

"Being a mage isn't a choice, the power comes to some wherever they like it or not. Know that at least, since I have experienced it." She replies before the gates closes before her, separating the two.

The mage was furious though even though she hadn't betrayed it to him. What an ignorant man, if you hated something you should at least know something about it. She knew that if it had been a choice, half of Hestopia probably would have consisted of mages instead of about 4 % of the population.

Then again, he might be from a world where things were different which would explain it. But her furious mind refuses to consider that conclusion for the time being. The sorceress would rather just be angry at him for being an ignorant idiot which she imaged all magehaters to be.

"I shouldn't think about it too much." Cessie finally tells herself, she did had other things to deal with after all.

She heads to her lab once again and spots the crystal Dorota had given her. Now that was an idea...
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-06-28 at 10:01 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mithar Keep

Kirin puts away the rest of her tools. Done! She was getting good at this maid thing.

What was left to do? Get a snack, definitely? Maybe read a book? Or look into some of the native stuff for conspiracies? The trick about the Nexus that a lot of stuff probably does have conspiracies behind it. Honestly, the whole place feels like there's some kind of string-pulling going on...

But no, none of those things really caught her fancy. Perhaps...

A nap! In the sun. Yes.

But first, a snack; and you have to find the perfect napping spot, after all...

Kirin will be wandering all over the Keep for a little bit, trying to decide between a couple sunny spots. You have to take into account surroundings, duration, comfortableness, how silly you will look resting there, the chance of anyone interrupting you...

23. - Top - End - #1283

Mithar Keep

For a change, the door to the sorceress laboratory actually stands open and as Kirin walks past it Cessie calls to her from inside. "Kirin, could you come here for a moment?"

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mithar Keep

"Oh, sure." Kirin steps into the room, walking over to where Cessie is. She doesn't really examine the room; she figures it's not all that important to her. "How can I help?"

25. - Top - End - #1285

Mithar Keep

There is Garn the gargoyle sitting behind Cessie but she have already introduced him earlier.

"First of all, Dorota is coming over with her girlfriend to look at a few things just so you know. I haven't met her girlfriend yet but I don't think she will be any problems." Dorota was one of the most proper persons she had met in the nexus after all.

"But secondly I'm going to try out a few apple seeds lately. You know, the ones from the fey apples?" Kirin might remember Cessie mentioning these before and what effect they have. "I theorize these will have an even greater effect after analyzing them. It seems safe enough so I'm actually going to try it out on my own considering there are no other willing test subjects. But it would still be nice if someone oversees the experiment." Or partake in it instead of me.

She leaves the last thing unsaid though.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mithar Keep

"Oh. Okay."

Kirin thinks about that for a moment. What did overseeing the experiment require? Those apples did fairy things... mind, body and powers, right? Well, the seed...

...okay, assuming it wouldn't hijack your body, it might... have a stronger effect than the apples... or one that lasts longer. Energy over time: isn't that what seeds do?

It might even be permanent.

"It occurs to me that if something goes horribly wrong, I'm not going to be able to fix it."

27. - Top - End - #1287

Mithar Keep

"Yes, that's true." Cessie replies. "There are no mages nearby however. At least none I know well enough to trust with this." And Arik was out of the question. Apparently he had a project of his own going on at the moment.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2012-06-29 at 01:05 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mithar Keep

"Then someone else should do it. All said and done, you're probably the only one that knows how they work at all, and therefore the only one that has a chance of reversing any effect. Someone else should take the seed."

After a moment, Kirin blinks. She has the funniest feeling like she's missing something. Something really, really obvious.

Huh.

29. - Top - End - #1289

Mithar Keep

"Yeah, but that I would need a volunteer Kirin and I don't have any just yet. I guess I could ask Harnel or perhaps post something on the wall, but that didn't have much luck last time." And she didn't like the idea of strangers in her house in case of the wall post.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mithar Keep

"Honestly, I don't want Harnel to try it. He would be hard to stop if we had to stop him."

Hmm.

"Are you sure there isn't anyone else? I have this nagging feeling that there's someone really obvious... man, I feel so silly... I might just be thinking things. I mean, assuming that you don't want to experiment on your guests, that only leaves you, Harnel, and I."

"...ah."

Man, that /is/ obvious. It also obvious who the best choice is...