New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Prestige class alternatives for 4th level fighter

I'm playing a human fighter, currently 4th level with no additional frills. My current feats are Combat Reflexes, Expertise, Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Scourge). The latter is an rp thing to use a cool flail.

The feat line I'm currently on can lead me to the 3rd ed Weapon Master prestige class, which is cool, but I'm wondering what other alternatives I could have going for me down the line. I enjoy not being hit and generally being a nuisance to deal with.

Equipment wise, I have a tower shield (enchanted with Deathward), +1 Breastplate (enchanted to look like a tunic), and a +2 Holy Scourge.

My stats are (rolled really well)
    18 STR
    17 DEX
    17 CON
    15 INT
    15 WIS
    11 CHA

Any suggestions would be appreciated. AFAIK the only things not allowed are dragon magazine things, everything else is consult the DM and he'll okay it or not.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Prestige class alternatives for 4th level fighter

What's the power level of your group, and what are the things you do you not want? For being tanky, there's probably a super-optimized build involving levels in cleric and 3-4 esoteric prc's that'll give you AC in the triple digits, but is that what you want?

For fun martial stuff, I always recommend taking a look at Tome of Battle.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2018-08-04 at 05:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    What's the power level of your group, and what are the things you do you not want? For being tanky, there's probably a super-optimized build involving levels in cleric and 3-4 esoteric prc's that'll give you AC in the triple digits, but is that what you want?

For fun martial stuff, I always recommend taking a look at Tome of Battle.
    The power level of the group is kinda low atm. We're only a three person group with a rogue (going assassin), a sorcerer (going elemental savant) and me, trying to find out if I still want to go weapon master. As for what I want to avoid if possible multi or cross classing, and I also want to avoid super optimization.

Let me know what else you need to know.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Does your campaign have any particular theme? A PrC that focuses on fighting a particular foe (such as undead, dragons or sea-monsters) might be useful in a campaign featuring a lot of those, but would be useless in most others.

Also, is there any particular archetype/fantasy you see your character as? Are they an agile blademaster beating their enemies through pure skill? A heavily-armored juggernaut capable of taking a ton of punishment? Do they have latent magical powers enhancing their abilities, or is it pure skill and training?

In 3.5, there's a PrC for most character ideas, and since you're not looking to optimize heavily, you've got a lot of options open to you for flavor instead of power.

the Kensai class from the complete warrior book looks similar to weapon master, but more of its abilities are always on, instead of once per day, which might be nice.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2018-08-04 at 05:43 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    Does your campaign have any particular theme? A PrC that focuses on fighting a particular foe (such as undead, dragons or sea-monsters) might be useful in a campaign featuring a lot of those, but would be useless in most others.

Also, is there any particular archetype/fantasy you see your character as? Are they an agile blademaster beating their enemies through pure skill? A heavily-armored juggernaut capable of taking a ton of punishment? Do they have latent magical powers enhancing their abilities, or is it pure skill and training?

In 3.5, there's a PrC for most character ideas, and since you're not looking to optimize heavily, you've got a lot of options open to you for flavor instead of power.

the Kensai class from the complete warrior book looks similar to weapon master, but more of its abilities are always on, instead of once per day, which might be nice.
    There hasn't really been any particular theme besides politics and gods (just really powerful demi gods really), and the most prevalent enemy type has been humanoid so far, but there's no signs of there being any particular theme with enemies.

As for my characters fantasy, he's just a guy whose so used to punishment from training with a bladed flail, he's kind of gotten used to avoiding attacks while being blazè about pain in general.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I would suggest you take a look at the Crusader base class from Tome of Battle in that case. It has several features related to resisting/delaying damage, as well as things that can turn that into being more effective in combat. It also gets more skill-points per level, which could be a boon if this is a highly political game.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I've always been fond of Oriental Adventures' blade dancer. You'd have to dip into a casting class (I'd go with duskblade) and cover the other 4 levels between there and 9 but weapon master fits nicely there and happens to be in the same source book.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I keep a notepad list of prestige classes that I think might be interesting upgrades for martials that want to scale better. Here's what I have:

Beloved of Valarian
    Black Blood Cultist
    Bloodstorm Blade
    Chameleon
    Consecrated Harrier
    Crusader
    Deepstone Sentinel
    Divine Crusader
    Dragon Disciple
    Eternal Blade
    Fist of Raziel
    Hellreaver
    Horizon Walker
    Ironsoul Forgemaster
    Jaunter
    Knight of the Raven
    Knight of the Weave
    Master of Many Forms
    Master of Masks
    Ordained Champion
    Primeval
    Ruby Knight Vindicator
    Sanctified One
    Soldier of Light
    Suel Arcanamach
    Swordsage
    Telflammar Shadowlord
    Thrall of Demogorgon
    Thrall of Juiblex
    Thrall of Orcus
    Ur-Priest
    War Mind
    Warblade
    Warshaper
    Wildrunner

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    I keep a notepad list of prestige classes that I think might be interesting upgrades for martials that want to scale better. Here's what I have:

Beloved of Valarian
    Black Blood Cultist
    Bloodstorm Blade
    Chameleon
    Consecrated Harrier
    Crusader
    Deepstone Sentinel
    Divine Crusader
    Dragon Disciple
    Eternal Blade
    Fist of Raziel
    Hellreaver
    Horizon Walker
    Ironsoul Forgemaster
    Jaunter
    Knight of the Raven
    Knight of the Weave
    Master of Many Forms
    Master of Masks
    Ordained Champion
    Primeval
    Ruby Knight Vindicator
    Sanctified One
    Soldier of Light
    Suel Arcanamach
    Swordsage
    Telflammar Shadowlord
    Thrall of Demogorgon
    Thrall of Juiblex
    Thrall of Orcus
    Ur-Priest
    War Mind
    Warblade
    Warshaper
    Wildrunner
    Note, not all are prestige classes. Although I do agree that this is a good list of classes for martials to gain power
    Last edited by Mike Miller; 2018-08-04 at 01:36 PM.