Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    I don't believe they've done anything to establish any kind of upper bound on their power so far.

    Well, the one Ichigo's fighting has, but there's nothing saying that some of the others aren't captain-level.
    Last edited by Gilphon; 2012-03-02 at 07:47 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Also, do we know if Orihime can actualy bring people back from the dead?

    I only remember her healing mortal wounds swiftly after they were inflicted.
    As I recall, one of the mortal wounds she healed swiftly after it was inflicted was of somebody who had their head disintegrated. Since the way her "healing" works is actually to reverse time within boundary of her force field, so that the wounds never actually happened, it doesn't seem like any surprise that she'd be able to reverse death.

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Used to hate I would think. Several Captains are Vizards now.

    Now to figure out what Vandenreich means. Reich stands for kingdom or empire. A Third Reich was one of the worst things in human history. Does not look all that positive.
    The Japanese text used for Vandenreich was 「見えざる帝国」 ("Miezaru Teikoku"), meaning "Invisible Empire".

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    Since the way her "healing" works is actually to reverse time within boundary of her force field
    Wasn't it stated that it's not how her powers work? AFAIR she is a reality warper.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Drolyt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenno Seremel View Post
    Wasn't it stated that it's not how her powers work? AFAIR she is a reality warper.
    There have been several contradictory statements with regards to her powers. I don't think there is any point it trying to figure it out.

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    There have been several contradictory statements with regards to her powers. I don't think there is any point it trying to figure it out.
    If I remember it right Hatchi said it's time-based first, but then revoked his statement. Plus Aizen's "rivals god" remark.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    What Orihime actually does is kind of like where Chad got his powers from. The proper answer is "whatever Kubo wants that particular week", and to analyze further is to invite headaches.
    Holy crap, I have a blog!

    When one has made a decision to kill a person, even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about doing it in a long, roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way of the Samurai is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong.

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jindra34's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragonKing View Post
    What Orihime actually does is kind of like where Chad got his powers from. The proper answer is "whatever Kubo wants that particular week", and to analyze further is to invite headaches.
    With Orihime the one common theme is that they don't actually heal but rather make it so the person was never hurt. Kinda like how Chad's abilities are always related to hollows.
    avatar by Three Shades
    Official Founder of the Defenders of the Kitsune, Nekomata, Tengu, Tanookie and Mujina. Please leave the Real World at the door.

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Red XIV View Post
    The Japanese text used for Vandenreich was 「見えざる帝国」 ("Miezaru Teikoku"), meaning "Invisible Empire".
    LOL Guess I am showing my age a little, but there was a movie serial from the 1930's by that name? Or it had an Invisable Empire in it at least. The name used to describe the KKK at one time. I doubt Kubo knows about that though.

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Banned
     
    irenicObserver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Land of Fans and Music

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    It would be awesome for Quincy to gain power in such a way, their power is dependent on the spiritual enviroment, Vizard's hollowified spiritual pressure auto-cannibalise increasing stamina and reducing lost energy. If the two combine, then you have a people that have a capability for reishi dominance combined with a power-eating monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by nazgulnine View Post
    Quick translation of all the titles:

    KriegsErklärung: "WarDeclaration". Already the title brings us back to the purpose of this chapter. The masked leader stated last chapter "we declare war on Soul Society."

    Vandenreich: "van den reich" (of the empire, using Dutch and German phrases)... we already know Kubo doesn't have the best grammar in other languages. I'm also suspecting it should be "vondenreich" since the "van" is Dutch, but is the German pronunciation when transliterated into Japanese. Not a good German linguist, so I'm not sure if it should be von der reich or not.
    The Vonderreich run by Wonderweiss (that makes sense in my head)

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Drolyt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    New Chapter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't say much has happened. I'm a bit confused about why the "empire" has a "king" in the translation I read.

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Empires can have kings. Look that teh British Empire.

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Drolyt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Empires can have kings. Look that teh British Empire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kind of. The reason the British Empire had a king/queen was because they were seperately monarch of each individual territory rather than ruling over all of it as a single entity. For example, the syle of George V was "By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and of the British Dominions beyond the Seas King, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India". Not "King of the British Empire" or "Emperor of Britain". Note the Emperor of India part. India was considered an empire; the Kingdom of England was not. Although the term "British Empire" was common, it was never the official name of the empire and was used primarily to emphasize that the king's authority was equal to an emperor's.
    Edit: More simply, the official name of the "empire" was "The Kingdom of Great Britain" and later the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". The king was not an emperor because he did not rule the "British Empire" he ruled the "Kingdom of Great Britain", therefore he was a king not an emperor.
    Last edited by Drolyt; 2012-03-07 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Wasn't Northern Ireland until later.

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Orc in the Playground
     
    nazgulnine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kind of. The reason the British Empire had a king/queen was because they were seperately monarch of each individual territory rather than ruling over all of it as a single entity. For example, the syle of George V was "By the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and of the British Dominions beyond the Seas King, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India". Not "King of the British Empire" or "Emperor of Britain". Note the Emperor of India part. India was considered an empire; the Kingdom of England was not. Although the term "British Empire" was common, it was never the official name of the empire and was used primarily to emphasize that the king's authority was equal to an emperor's.
    Edit: More simply, the official name of the "empire" was "The Kingdom of Great Britain" and later the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". The king was not an emperor because he did not rule the "British Empire" he ruled the "Kingdom of Great Britain", therefore he was a king not an emperor.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Just going ahead to bold that bit because I think that's the point. At the end of the chapter, Joe Dirt's title likely has little to no meaning other than to show he's the Vandenreich's leader, but we're all free to question the terminology (and I for one thank you for pointing out the distinctions between kingdoms and empires). I read a translation that simply said "the empire's king appears!" Whether he's their actual king or leader is still up to revelation.

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    DiscipleofBob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    You know it's a slow week in Bleach when the hot topic of conversation is the semantic difference between king and emperor.
    RP's
    Bleach in the Playground OOC IC
    I am willing to make and roleplay as characters for people's factions, etcetera on request.

    My Characters:
    My Bleach Characters

    Active Stories:
    Ultimate Wonder Woman on Ultimate DC

    ((On Hiatus:))
    The Shipwreck Pirates, a One Piece original crew fanfic. Arc 2: Tempest Tossed

    Avatar by Necromimesis.

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Oh there are other issues. Like it seems that many of the bad guys don't get along AT ALL. Also the HollowQuicy are not effected by the standard defences in the SS. Also we get a look at the Hidden Empire. I wonder if the bad guys had been kidnapping people from the SS.

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Drolyt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by nazgulnine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

    Just going ahead to bold that bit because I think that's the point. At the end of the chapter, Joe Dirt's title likely has little to no meaning other than to show he's the Vandenreich's leader, but we're all free to question the terminology (and I for one thank you for pointing out the distinctions between kingdoms and empires). I read a translation that simply said "the empire's king appears!" Whether he's their actual king or leader is still up to revelation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, the more I think about it the more I think it was just sloppy translation. Reich is often translated empire in English, but my research suggests that it's meaning is a more general realm (disclaimer: I do not speak German) or, in Latin, regnum, as opposed to imperium (disclaimer: I don't speak Latin either, but these terms are used outside Latin in reference to sovereignty). That said I have no idea what word they are translating as king.

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground
     
    nazgulnine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    You know it's a slow week in Bleach when the hot topic of conversation is the semantic difference between king and emperor.
    First time I've laughed this hard today.
    By the way, does anyone else see the (glaring, to me) similarities between these guys and the Arrancar?
    • They have pretty white uniforms
    • They use an "exotic foreign language." Probably for everything.
    • They can rip through reality to travel to Alaska
    • They have a secret base, funny-looking castle included, in Alaska
    • Their resident smartass gets his arm ripped off by his boss as a punishment
    • They've got an issue with society and they're gonna fight. For their right. To party.

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by nazgulnine View Post
    • They can rip through reality to travel to Alaska
    • They have a secret base, funny-looking castle included, in Alaska
    Alaska?!

    Spoiler
    Show


    Try South/North Pole.

    Spoiler
    Show


    Edit: don't read too much to it, mate.
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2012-03-08 at 01:40 AM.
    That thing is no more terrible then I.

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    There are snowy places all over the world. Including Germany and Japan. Seems silly to argue about where the base is.

    Also, the arm-ripped-off guy looks a little like Aizen. He's obviously the big bad.

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Orc in the Playground
     
    nazgulnine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Arctic would've been a better word; I was thinking of wintertime Alaska; my first instinct was to go with Antarctica but I thought, who would get the joke, then I thought to go with Greenland, but I thought, no the joke's no good, so I went with Alaska, for the layman's joke. So... no offense to you if you're Alaskan or to any other Alaskans out there. I love your people and your culture.

    But seriously, do we think it's just another place in the real world, or is it in another dimension, like the southern/northern hemisphere of Hueco Mundo? We haven't seen the place yet, aside from their house being covered in ice and the fact that its dark wherever they are. And I think that little grey squiggle behind their house is supposed to be an aurora or something. Maybe fog?

    Oh, and not that it means anything, but give a close look to their belltower; it has a little cross for a window. Very Quincy-chic.

  21. - Top - End - #321
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Fredaintdead's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by nazgulnine View Post
    Very Quincy-chic.
    HIPSTER QUINCY. Firing arrows and hating Shinigami before it was cool!
    Avatar by Akrim.elf.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n


    Awesome doll by Recaiden.

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Closet_Skeleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ēast Seaxna rīc
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Reich means 'realm', not empire. Frankriech means France, Konigsreich means kingdom, Deutchesreich is a old fashioned alternative to Deutchland used after the abolition of the monarchy and until the post ww2 partition. The more official name for the Drittesreich was the Grossdeutches Reich after 1943 and the Nazis actually banned the name 'Drittesreich' in 1939. Its Kaiserreich that means empire.

    Its a cognate with the english term 'rich', which isn't used in the same way .
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

    When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.


  23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground
     
    thubby's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Reich means 'realm', not empire. Frankriech means France, Konigsreich means kingdom, Deutchesreich is a old fashioned alternative to Deutchland used after the abolition of the monarchy and until the post ww2 partition. The more official name for the Drittesreich was the Grossdeutches Reich after 1943 and the Nazis actually banned the name 'Drittesreich' in 1939. Its Kaiserreich that means empire.

    Its a cognate with the english term 'rich', which isn't used in the same way .
    except it's probably not so literal. you have to realize the word is being used by a japanese person.
    much how otaku has a different meaning in america than in japan, reich evokes a different image to people outside Germany.
    my guess is that he was aiming for reich to click with what most people know. the 3rd reich aka nazi germany.
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-03-07 at 08:36 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    gnome_4ever:

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Drolyt's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Reich means 'realm', not empire. Frankriech means France, Konigsreich means kingdom, Deutchesreich is a old fashioned alternative to Deutchland used after the abolition of the monarchy and until the post ww2 partition. The more official name for the Drittesreich was the Grossdeutches Reich after 1943 and the Nazis actually banned the name 'Drittesreich' in 1939. Its Kaiserreich that means empire.

    Its a cognate with the english term 'rich', which isn't used in the same way .
    Reich can mean empire though. Heiliges Römisches Reich is the same as Imperium Romanum Sacrum or Holy Roman Empire.
    Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    except it's probably not so literal. you have to realize the word is being used by a japanese person.
    much how otaku has a different meaning in america than in japan, reich evokes a different image to people outside Germany.
    my guess is that he was aiming for reich to click with what most people know. the 3rd reich aka nazi germany.
    Oddly reich makes me think of the HRE not the Nazis. Maybe I'm alone in that, but I wonder if the Japanese have different preconceptions than we do?

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground
     
    thubby's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Oddly reich makes me think of the HRE not the Nazis. Maybe I'm alone in that, but I wonder if the Japanese have different preconceptions than we do?
    distinct possibility given how anime often like christian symbolism.
    point being, it's not a question of definitions, but imagery.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    gnome_4ever:

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Soras Teva Gee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    That guy in the last panel, you know I think I've seen him before somewhere...

    ...ahh here it is...

    Which also includes my crack "what if its not the Quincy" guess.

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Turalisj's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WI, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Snrk....

    I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. I laughed out loud at that.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

    By Alterform


    Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

    Factors: 2.

    Wealth: 5

    Magic: 4

    Espionage: 4

    Reputation: 3.

    Military: 2.

    Faith: 6.



  28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Quote Originally Posted by nazgulnine View Post
    First time I've laughed this hard today.
    By the way, does anyone else see the (glaring, to me) similarities between these guys and the Arrancar?
    • They have pretty white uniforms
    • They use an "exotic foreign language." Probably for everything.
    • They can rip through reality to travel to Alaska
    • They have a secret base, funny-looking castle included, in Alaska
    • Their resident smartass gets his arm ripped off by his boss as a punishment
    • They've got an issue with society and they're gonna fight. For their right. To party.
    • Soul Reapers wear black. So the enemy wears white in oppostition. Also our local Quicy wears white.
    • Chad uses a foreign language as well.
    • Well they HAVE to be able to rip holes in reality or else there is no way to they could go any place. An enemy that can't attack you is no real threat.
    • Not Alaska. A whole different dimension.
    • Same result, but different reasons. It was done here more or less as crualty. With a certain Arancar it was done as punishment for not following orders and screwing up while doing so.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2012-03-08 at 08:06 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jindra34's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    Hand: It is Alaska just like the how Aizen used Mexico and it was Mexico.
    avatar by Three Shades
    Official Founder of the Defenders of the Kitsune, Nekomata, Tengu, Tanookie and Mujina. Please leave the Real World at the door.

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Dusk Eclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In the ruins of San de So
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bleach V: Well that was a waste of time (Fullbring? What's that?)

    How did Aizen used Mexico? The Spanish terminology for Arrancar? Because I felt it was more Spanish (as in the country) Spanish as opposed to "Mexican" Spanish.
    Just call me Dusk
    Avatar by Ceika

    Spoiler: Iron Chef Trophy/Characters
    Show

    Stephan & Artorias sigatars by CoffeeIncluded, IC thropy by Savannah

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •