Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Mysteries of Prophos (IC)

For a moment, Regret just stood there gazing at the majesty of the flames. "Phantom! Isn't it glorious?" he breathed with awe as he stood watching the bright flames dance their dance of power. He saw the power of fire, the favorite element of Marta, burning trees and animals at its touch. He watched every living being as they fled the fire, helpless against its might.

Then, regret saw his own helplessness. This fire was not one to be controlled or to be trifled with, and if it reached him, he would turn into ash and smoke just as a bug would. There was nothing he could do except to run, he had to flee just like the bugs tried to flee. To this fire he was no more than a bug. So, Regret reluctantly turned away and ran for his life, hearing the mocking laughter of Marta in his ear.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia." Thomas Szasz
    "I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."-Raistlin Majere

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

"Fire, how you break such forest and such people. Later, whoever caused it will pay. I am sure." The angry Hong-Hua then runs away with the rest of the group, muttering quite a few curses in Chinese towards the perpetrator of this arson being experienced right now.
    "He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man!"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Marta may you bless this fire. By your will let it cleanse but not devour.
    Andre offers his quick prayer before jetting after the others towards the river.

I imagine that this is not particularly any safer then any other location. The fire will reach us quickly if it wishes, we must act quickly and intelligently. Any ideas? I'm not a thinker...
    Andre gives an innocent chuckle at his own jab and looks to the others, surely some of them could think of something...
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Recruiting)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Active)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

4. - Top - End - #34

Realizing that that no one seems ti be heeding his calls, Aleksand turns around, glimpsing the fire again, and understanding now that it is beyond control. Changing his search from a bucket to something more walkable, he also begins plotting of another way to help others across the river.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The fire finally makes it to the edge of the forest, and you can hear the roar of its destruction despite the distance. It runs out of brush and wood to feed on, and some bursts of flame try to spread to the grassy field separating the trees from the outer rim of the city. These quickly fizzle out, the ground too damp and cold to support this kind of fire. None of the Prophos citizens seem to notice this development in their frenzied panic, however. Some desperate lives have even jumped into the Swiftwater and attempted swim to the other shore, though they are quickly swept up by the current and carried out of sight.

The conflagration seems to hesitate, unable to move forward yet reluctant to let itself burn out. Then, as if Frithen is turning his back on the city, a brisk gust sweeps up to assist the fire. People yell in fright as the wind drags the flames towards the first few buildings. For a few moments, it seems as if the fire will not be able to jump the gap. Then, the gust pushes a bit farther, bringing the inferno close enough to set the nearest house on fire.

If Prophos wasnít in a state of urgency before, it certainly is now. Several small ships can be seen criss-crossing the Swiftwater, using no sails but relying on teams of a half dozen row-men. The passage-boats, their entire purpose to carry citizens across the river, now split into two groups. One group redoubles their efforts, filling themselves with so many people they risk sinking and row-men fighting the swift currents with the strength of beasts. The other group, however, makes one final stop at the safe side of the Swiftwater and doesnít return. They will not risk themselves trying to save a drop of lives from a sea of potential victims.

Night is already falling, but the massive churning clouds of smoke rising into the sky begin to choke off the last of the sunís rays. Darkness shrouds the sky, but the light of the forest fire is enough to illuminate the city like a malevolent sunrise.

A few of the frightened people suddenly stop in their struggle to safety, looking towards the north end of town. Curious, a few more people glance towards that area, and the crowd falls into an uneasy quiet. Through the haze of smoke, you can see a line of people standing on the upper walkways of the Prophos castle. They are too far away for you to make out their gender, but their lack of body armor and weapons suggests they are not soldiers. Instead, they wear colorful clothing, usually a shade of blue, red, white, or black. There are around one-hundred of these people standing on the walls, watching the fireís progress.

Suddenly, one of these people on the closest wall to the fire raises his hand, their black sleeve silhouetting against the fireís light. In response, the rest of their people raise both their hands towards the incoming inferno. Anyone familiar with the practice of magic can feel a tense ripple of power radiate from the castle. As if Frithen has changed his mind once again, the wind shifts directions, blowing back on the fire instead of helping it jump across to the city. The fire itself also undergoes a change, giving off less light and smoke. Its flames no longer dare to reach as high.

A loud thundercrack crashes above. Without warning, the clouds that had previously been smoke start pouring rain. While this goes on, the civilians watch in awe, glancing at the raindrops landing on their hands and clothes, curious to know if they are real or just an illusion of those about to die. The rain strengthens into a torrential downpour, bringing the fire down even further as its smoke is slowly replaced by steam. Though flames still flicker and embers still glow, it is clear the fire will not spread any farther.

The crowds to begin a loud cheer for their magical heroes. Several people begin clapping, and others remain frozen in shock. Though the inferno had touched a few houses on the cityís edge, reducing a handful to a pile of smoking splinters, the fire within the city is now completely extinguished. Prophos had been spared. The group on the castle walls slowly lower their hands, turn around, and walk towards the closest castle towers, disappearing into them as they retreat back into the castle.
    Last edited by Alagaesian; 2012-07-03 at 05:34 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Soaked and in a foul mood, upon reaching the river, the wet gnome and dog get in the queue for the boats to Prophos. His next destination: the nearest bar.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

So this is the great irony of freedom then, even when a man's life is his own, his choices, his own, he is still subject to the whim of the world, the gods and those with more power than himself. Kole smiled a small, bitter smile, he suspected he may have been weeping, but soaked as he was, it was difficult to tell for sure. As he moved into the herd of people waiting to cross the river to the city proper a quiet reflection seemed to have descended upon the crowd, of which he was no exception.

The fire was beautiful, in it's own way; the storm doubly so. The fire and the water, dancing together even now. Relief wasn't the right word for what he was feeling, but it was probably the closest he would get. He longed for a tall glass of the moonshine him and his fellows used to ferment from bread in the 'barracks' he used to call him, he was sure a city this large would be able to cater to his particular taste and more importantly, needs. For now however he was content to be swept along in the throng of people.
    Last edited by Jack DeCoeur; 2012-01-18 at 07:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Those figures must've been priests of Garshen. But that fire acted strangly even before the intervention of those people. What could've caused it?" Thomas tried to recollect as much of the knowledge as he had gathered through the years to find a fitting answer.

Knowledge (arcana) check:
    What kind of fire was this?
    (1d20)[12]
    I should probably add my skill modifier of +2 so it's 14 in total?
    Last edited by Mr White; 2012-01-19 at 05:57 PM.
    Awesome Delirium-avatar by Recaiden
    Looking for friendly contact with an evil outsider in the fanclub

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Regret was impressed my the magic, but that didn't mean he stopped thinking about other things:
    With the festival and all these people, the inns will get full pretty soon and we really don't want to get caught in the streets after dark. I suggest we hurry and rent a couple of rooms in this side of the river before everyone come to their senses. After renting the rooms, I'd like to go see the magical heroes and hear anything they have to say.
    Regret started looking for a sign of an inn.
    Last edited by shayanuser; 2012-01-19 at 03:52 PM.
    "If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia." Thomas Szasz
    "I will do this. Nothing in my life matters except this. No moment in my life exists except this moment. I am born in this moment, and if I fail, I will die in this moment."-Raistlin Majere

10. - Top - End - #40

"I agree, though equally many inns maybe much more selective of their customers, as well." Aleksand, says, giving a cursory look. "Perhaps we might also see to it to find the origin of the fire, as it was clearly unnatural."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

The crowd begins to thin as the cheering fades into mumbles and shuffling feet. The heavy rainstorm is a great blessing, but nobody enjoys getting soaked through to the skin. As if to prove this point, the sky flickers with a bolt of lightning and its delayed roll of thunder.

A few city guards, clad in well-polished, half-plate armor, arrive to restore order to the scene. They begin to direct the masses away from the river and back into the grid of city streets. Everyone follows their orders quietly, as many of them are eager to return home and dry their clothes. One of these guards, holding a steel shield to his chest, spots you and instantly stops in his tracks. He stumbles a few steps backwards, then grabs the breastplate of another passing guards and pulls him close. "Look, it's them."

The other guard glances back to the weary group of travelers. "Three men, a gnome, a man-elf, a woman-elf, and...an elan, I think they're called. That's them, alright."

"What are we supposed to do? We can't chase them down. There's too many people in the way."

The other guard brandishes his spear. "We do what we have to. We have our orders, and who knows? They might've been the ones who started that fire." He begins to approach you, holding his spear out and shield up defensively. The first guard follows, mimicking the precautions with his own shield and spear.

"By the order of Horten, Head of the City Guard and servant of King Jarsha, I declare the seven of you," He makes a circular motion with his spear-tip, gesturing to you and the other six members of your traveling group. "Under arrest. We have been granted permission to use lethal force if you resist us."

12. - Top - End - #42

I'd be lying if I said this didn't come as a surprise... Perhaps you'd like to reconsider? I've done nothing wrong...
    Andre smiles warmly and grips the nunchaku in his basket lightly.
    I don't want this to come to blows, we're peaceful people us monks.

He chuckles and eyes his companions, could he trust them to fight with him? Maybe he'd do better to wait...
    Last edited by IcemanJRC; 2012-01-19 at 09:38 PM.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Recruiting)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Active)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

13. - Top - End - #43

"It's true that we were running from the fire as came into to the city, but that is hardly means we started it! There must be some way we can prove that we were not at fault for this near-disaster." As Aleksand said this, though, he began thinking about it further. He had awoken in the cave unaware of how he got there, or what he had been doing. Maybe he did start it, and had the cullers remake him to clear his conscience? No, now he must prove, more to himself than anyone else, that he was not responsible.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Horten hasn't told us your crime," the first guard tells you. "But this isn't just about the forest fire. We've been on the lookout for a group like yours for the past two weeks. After a while, most of us thought you skipped town, with the city guard searching for you and all..."

The other guard suddenly elbows him. "Stop conversing with the criminals," he grunts. "You'll let your guard down. Didn't Horten make it clear how dangerous these people are?"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

You two are brave and foolish to try to arrest us, seven armed dangerous people. You are completely outnumbered and outmatched. But, although I would have been thrilled to practice my magic on anyone right now, as we are innocent, we make you a deal: you find out what is our crime and we will come peacefully. We'll be waiting in that inn over there, we were just going to rent a couple of rooms there. Regret pointed to a random inn nearby.
    We will even let one of you to come with us and make sure we don't escape, if you want. We just want to know why Horten wants us, is that too much to ask?

Besides, me and my wife Tasha Regret gestured to Xing came from north and not from the forest, we just met with this group.

Regret had heard sorcerers to be good at talking, he waited for Xing.
    Last edited by shayanuser; 2012-01-20 at 03:21 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thomas frantically switched between looking at the guards and the other members of his group. This could come to blows very easily. But so far he couldn't see it go any other way than them being arrested, be it now or when more guards arrived.
    Last edited by Mr White; 2012-01-20 at 09:40 AM.
    Awesome Delirium-avatar by Recaiden
    Looking for friendly contact with an evil outsider in the fanclub

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Kole didn't like this. And he was torn. On the one hand, despite his lack of social graces, his imposing frame would likely prove useful in convincing the guards to at least back down. On the other however, the last thing he wanted to do was draw attention to himself. He swore this to himself though, he was never going back, he'd rather die than lose his freedom, and if he were to be killed, he'd take as many of his aggressors with him as he could.

So for now, he stayed silent, that didn't stop him moving his hands into a firm grip on his long spear though.

18. - Top - End - #48

Aleksand was less than speechless. "We've done nothing wrong! We're in middle of a crowded street! There are so many reasons why allowing this to escalate to violence is a plainly horrible idea that I can scarcely count them!"
    Last edited by Sodalite; 2012-01-20 at 08:05 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

Regret started talking to Red in elvish and tried to make his tone to look like someone who is soothing his wife and calming her. what he really said was:tell them we are not with the others. if they didn't believe, we should form a circle around them and you should try to intimidate them. if all fails try to charm the more aggressive guard, when the talkative guard is not looking- that shouldn't be a problem since they will stand back to back when we encircle them. he just prayed to Garshen that the human guards wouldn't understand elvish.

... Well, they would know elvish if it was Garshen who was looking for them. I'm going insane with everything happening so fast. He thought.
    Last edited by shayanuser; 2012-01-20 at 11:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"A likely story. I suppose none of you knew each other before we came by to arrest you, right?" the guard says sarcastically. "Like most criminals, you fail to recognize the impacts of your actions. Though Horten never told us your crime, he did tell everyone that you are a threat to all of Prophos to be taken dead or alive. We can't risk losing track of you." He passes his spear to his shield-hand, then grabs at a bone whistle hanging on his neck. "Though, I do agree that it is poor practice to fight you in a crowd of innocent civilians. We'll give you one chance to come quietly, or I'll call the rest of guards to take you by force."

The other guard shifts on his feet nervously. He shakily lets his spear drop into a fighting position. "It's probably a good idea to drop your weapons," he mumbles. He turns to Regret. "And, uh, mage, cross your arms so we know you won't be magicking anyone. Comfort your wife if you have to, but, um, stop talking your elvish otherwise."
    Last edited by Alagaesian; 2012-01-20 at 11:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

"I don't have any weapons! Why would I? I just found myself wandering in a cave earlier today! I only just joined this group on my way towards the city." Aleksand says this with an almost raving quality, suddenly finding himself outraged. "I will come with you, but only on the condition that I am allowed to question this Horten myself!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

Hong-Hua says to Regret in Elvish, "Thank you, let me handle this. With a well placed bluff, we may get out of this disaster." Then, presenting to the guards a sorrowful face, she pretends to use pidgin Common, saying this: "I... and husband... Elf. We come from She'nae, Elf tribe. Goblins... burn house and trees. Everyone... gone. Destroy. We walk far to Prophos. We want... peace. They," gesturing to the others in the group, "just go same way as us. That is why we here with them. Sorry for no good Common." Then in a tone that seems like asking Regret how to say "We're innocent" Common, she really says, "Can you please distract the guards while I Charm the one with the whistle? And say "Innocent" in Common for me. 'I don't know how.'"
    Last edited by SwordScythe; 2012-01-20 at 07:10 PM.
    "He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man!"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

"Uhh, is this because my dog bit someone in the last town I was in? That dirty, rich hobo was trying to kill me and take my stuff! It was in defense!"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Very funny," he deadpans to the gnome. "But a squabble with a pauper in the next town over is hardly worth our time."

The nervous guard nudges his partner. "Hey, what if that woman-elf is telling the truth?" he asks. "I mean, Horten only gave us descriptions of their races. We don't know for sure these are the ones. Maybe those goblins she was talking about were the ones who started the fire."

The other guard rolls his eyes. "Out of two weeks of searching for these criminals, this is the first lead we've gotten. And what was the first thing they said to us when we announced their arrest? 'Whatever it was, we didn't do it!' Then, when we mentioned that we were looking for their group, they claimed they didn't know each other. Don't you find any of that suspicious?" He narrows his eyes at your group. "Besides, it is better to arrest an innocent man than let a dangerous criminal roam free. I am giving you one last chance to drop your weapons before I call the guards," he announces, gesturing to those with visible weapons.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Punto looks down at the club he carries, then deadpans to the guard. "I have a stick. I also have a dog. He likes to play fetch. Are you REALLY going to call backup for THAT?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Regret took a step to the right so that only the stupid guard could see him. Then He said innocent and continued with the verbal incantation for Prestidigitation spell, as if it is elvish for "is the word you are looking for". He tried his right hand movements to be to the side where the guards couldn't see and doing so, he tried to look casual all the while looking at Red as if explaining a simple word. The discretion was necessary not to cause the stupid guard to suddenly rush forward.
    He was happy he didn't have to reach for his component pouch to provide bat guano or something with his free hand, doing that would have been quite hard to explain!

As soon as he was done, he tried to produce an artificial olive branch on the edge of the stupid guard's sight to the right, so that he would turn more to the right to see the object that appeared. Then, Regret seeing Red go for it, spoke with a strong voice to drown Red's incantation: As a symbol of our good intentions, I ask you to accept this symbol of peace. and bowed dramatically.
    Last edited by shayanuser; 2012-01-20 at 07:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Aleksand stood silent, his hands on his forehead. He was giving his all to keep from arguing with these guards, but he was unsure of how long he could restrain himself. Finally, he turned to the others in the group and said, "Maybe, if we allow them to arrest us, we can find why this Horten suspects us of this crime. Perhaps, with their help, we might even find who the true perpetrators are."
    Last edited by Sodalite; 2012-01-20 at 08:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

This was not going well. Kole looked at Aleksand and moved closer, he lowered his voice so that, hopefully, only the two of them could hear.
    "Regardless of what or who they think we are, I actually am an escaped slave, so you can imagine if I'm not entirely comfortable with your plan of allowing them to take us into custody." He paused and looked around at the crowd, wondering if they simply bolted, how far they would get. "That being said, we need to do something here, preferably that doesn't involve bloodshed. You reckon we could make a run for it?"

29. - Top - End - #59

"If we had a good enough head start. But I doubt any of us can run faster than the sound of a whistle, so we'll just end up meeting more guards somewhere else."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

While Regret attempts to move out of sight, the more experienced guard turns to watch his movements, not daring to let a dangerous caster out of his line of vision for even a moment. Unfortunately, this means that the olive branch appears quite close to his face instead of just out of sight like Regret intended.

The guard jerks a little and bats the olive branch away on reflex, letting go of the whistle for half a second before hastily grabbing it again. He does not let his gaze leave your group while doing this, however. Instead, he focuses a glare on Regret and takes a threatening step forward. "I'm no stranger to magical criminals, mage," he growls in barely-restrained annoyance. "That was probably a pretty simple spell for you, set up to distract me while you prepared something far more complex...and dangerous." He takes another step forward and rests his shield on Regret's chest. "Put your hands where I can see them. No more funny business."

Meanwhile, the other guard watches the olive branch as it falls to the ground, a curious gleam in his eye. Though, his proper attention is restored once his partner begins advancing on Regret. "Hey, let's slow down a bit. Not everyone who commits a crime is a bad person. We won't know what their intentions were until we take them back to the guardhouse."

With this commotion going on, it is no surprise that the two guards fail to notice Kole and Aleksand's conversation. Even worse, they don't realize how much of a scene they are making with their arrest. The crowd has grown considerably thinner in the past few minutes, but a ring of people has formed around your group and the guards, everyone trying to put some space between themselves and the "criminals" yet remain close enough to watch.
    Last edited by Alagaesian; 2012-01-21 at 06:41 PM.