New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default I think the arc is wrapping up

I checked back on previous arcs and at this point (# of strip) in arc 3 and 4, the Order was leaving Azure City and V was going to fight Xykon respectively.

So unless Rich is planning on making this arc longer than usual for no apparent reason, I think the fight for Girard's gate will be handled in the next arc/book. Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: I think the arc is wrapping up

Rich has often commented that arcs run longer than expected, but it's definitely fair to say that we've seen a lot of recent progress.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, Rich can make the arcs any length he wants. Still (and this is without actually bothering to check the number of strips), I would guess that you're right. It's been quite a while since the end of the last book... If I had to guess, I'd put money on the next book covering Tarquin and the Empire of Blood and the one after being about Girard's Gate and the 3+ side deathmatch for it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by XxXU2XxX View Post
    So unless Rich is planning on making this arc longer than usual for no apparent reason, I think the fight for Girard's gate will be handled in the next arc/book. Thoughts?
    Yeah, what kind of writer has stories/arcs of different lengths to convey a narrative in the manner they best see fit even if it's longer than previous installments? That's ABSURD!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, we've got at least 30 more strips to this arc, or at least this book. Rich averages 180ish strips per book (except Dungeons Crawlin' Fools, at 120ish strips).

Of course Rich can go higher or lower as he sees fit, but a LOT can happen in 30 strips of this webcomic!
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Daemon

NCFPB was 180 strips
    WAXP's was 184 strips
    DSTP was 188 strips.
    Therefore this is 192 strips.

Therefore this will likely end at 864 (or around that).

Fourty strips. Some of these will probably be double or triple page. Because I don't see a lot of room for the OOTS to meet the draketooths, get the reveal, V to escape the salad dimension, The LG to get defeated again, Xykon showing up, the gate being destroyed and the resistance subplot being resolved.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Maybe the end of this arc covers Tarquin and the Linear Guild, and the next arc covers Xykon.

Maybe by the end of this arc Xykon defeats the OOTS, maybe he even kills some of them, and in the next arc they have to take the gate back.

There are so many possibilities...
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2012-01-10 at 06:44 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I believe this arc will cover the OotS meeting the Draketeeth, enlisting their aid // warning them about the danger to the gate, and facing the LG+Tarquin for control of the gate (surprisingly because they were preparing for an attack from Xykon).

Next arc will be a showdown with X.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Forty strips seems like plenty of time to deal with Girard's gate. Why would we assume an entire battle with Xykon and everyone? I can totally see Girard ending up destroying his own gate as a failsafe and sending the Order off to Kraagor's gate, intending to hold off or confuse Xykon. We know Xykon is going to be within 1000 feet of this gate next, but that doesn't mean the gate has to still be working.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Empire of Blood sequence did seem like it probably went much longer than Rich intended, but it did contribute to the plot. We're close enough to the battle for the Gate, and little enough has happened in this book, especially considering the breather last book was, that it would be a bit of a cop-out for Rich to pull a cliffhanger on us before the battle.

I could see V being rescued from the Salad Dimension off-panel, and the OOTS meeting whoever's manning the Gate and having their meeting interrupted by Xykon in one or two strips.

On the other hand, Rich usually includes a twenty-strip cooldown period at the end of each book... but last book's was only ten unless you somehow include Darth-V running off to confront Xykon.

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    NCFPB was 180 strips
    WAXP's was 184 strips
    DSTP was 188 strips.
    Therefore this is 192 strips.
    Technically, WaXP was 183 strips (#302-484, inclusive). Or am I screwing up my math?

Anyway, bear in mind that DStP had less multi-page strips than WaXP. By subtracting the amount of print-only pages from the total # of pages according to the GiantitP shop, I got
    WaXP: 241.5 online pages
    DStP: 226 online pages

and volume 5 is currently at (I think) 173.5 pages.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2012-01-14 at 03:47 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Eh, Rich can make the arcs any length he wants. Still (and this is without actually bothering to check the number of strips), I would guess that you're right. It's been quite a while since the end of the last book...
    Did nobody else look at #823 and think "Page 1"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KyrtFurey View Post
    I think it's more "Page 1 of a new chapter".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by KyrtFurey View Post
    I agree, 822/823 seems like a really good split. But there is something to be said about appropriate # of strips per book, and it may just have been a good transition. I suppose what would determine that is whether there ends up being a better break point in the next 50ish strips. Only Rich knows for sure.
    I don't actually play D&D. I do play:

Magic: the Gathering Online (with FREE tournaments at Gatherling)
    DC Universe, my surprisingly good CoH replacement
    Planetside 2, MMO-meets-FPS (and the first shooter I've liked in ages).
    Simunomics - a massive multiplayer Business Simulation Game. Browser-based, free to play.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Rich has taken rather lengthy announced breaks at the end of the last two books. I see no reason this won't continue.

16. - Top - End - #16

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Rich has taken rather lengthy announced breaks at the end of the last two books. I see no reason this won't continue.
    Not only that but had a rather definitive end page too. And before that they both had 'it's the end of the arc' jokes. Basically, I think we'll know when it's the end of the book.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    We're close enough to the battle for the Gate, and little enough has happened in this book, especially considering the breather last book was
    Whaaa? You considered Don't Split the Party a breather?
    Last edited by Jaros; 2012-01-15 at 08:03 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Jaros View Post
    Whaaa? You considered Don't Split the Party a breather?
    Rich seemed to, if you read his commentary for that book. Certainly it's nowhere near what came immediately before, and it's something of a diversion from the hunt for the gates.

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.