Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

High-level, Truenamers actually catch up, due to gate.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also Spot (1d20+15)[28]
    Anybody else want to negotiate?
    Korben Dallas

Gabriel Strazza - Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

3. - Top - End - #273

Gabriel
    Spoiler
    Show

You notice something moving in the chasm. It is about 90 ft. and closing fast. It looks like a large, winged shape.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you for the heads-up, Gabriel.

It's good to roll high when it counts. That Seek the Sky wasn't Extended like the last one, so it'll only last 5 rounds instead of 10. That said, 5 round should be more than enough time to blast/shoot the dragon to death, and even if it lands on the cliff where it can reach us the sheer weight of actions we have should be enough to end the fight.
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Heh, cool. :)

I'm not entirely sure about 'dragon placement' though. If the dragon is above the gorge, then he'll just fall away again - which would be sub-optimal as we want to take it out.

... maybe there's a way to specify that it should be (and stay) in range (somehow)?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar View Post
    Heh, cool. :)

I'm not entirely sure about 'dragon placement' though. If the dragon is above the gorge, then he'll just fall away again - which would be sub-optimal as we want to take it out.

... maybe there's a way to specify that it should be (and stay) in range (somehow)?
    Depending on its angle of approach, it should fall either onto land on next to the river. That said, we let it float away last time; even if it falls into the river again, we'll be able to concentrate fire (the casters/archers especially).
    LGBTitP

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Two plans of action:

1.) We throw it back in the water and take pot shots. It's a good plan but that thing can swim fast and I'm fairly sure Gabriel is the only one with the capacity to hit it from that range.

2.) We wait until it comes close and then hit it with another No-Fly Zone?(Yes I'm calling it that from now on). My health isn't tremendous right now, nor am I the only one. We have to draw it in without allowing it to breath weapon a mass of us or isolate any of us and then swamp the damn thing with actions. In that case I think we should all be hiding in the towers. Sure it'll see us going in but it won't know what floor we're on, that'll help (Somewhat).
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

If we go into the towers, then it becomes very difficult for all of us to act against it. Those in a tower it doesn't pursue are useless unless they go to windows or the roof. People at windows and the roof are open to attack, so are not in materially better position than someone outside.

I'd rather face it in the open, not on the bridge where it has the potential to blow/knock us off. We can then react to its actions on a round by round basis, and all of us have a chance to do something.

I suspect that Rita and perhaps Aria also have a way to materially affect the dragon at a distance. Mead might get lucky with a glitterdust, but will otherwise not be a great deal of help.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

9. - Top - End - #279
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Aria can use her Reversed Words of Nurturing to destroy it over time. As for Rita...well, I've held back my Extended Haste this whole fight for a reason. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, none of which explicitly induce its destruction, but I'm running out of spells anyway. There's always the wand...and Polymorph, but I'm loathe to be anywhere near something that could eat me...unless I turned into something huge inside its stomach and killed it from the inside...

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    Aria can use her Reversed Words of Nurturing to destroy it over time. As for Rita...well, I've held back my Extended Haste this whole fight for a reason. I have a few tricks up my sleeve, none of which explicitly induce its destruction, but I'm running out of spells anyway. There's always the wand...and Polymorph, but I'm loathe to be anywhere near something that could eat me...unless I turned into something huge inside its stomach and killed it from the inside...
    I second this plan.

I meant we hide instead the towers until aria grounds it and then zerg rush it
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    I second this plan.

I meant we hide instead the towers until aria grounds it and then zerg rush it
    Ah, my misunderstanding. Thanks!
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would also prefer to ground it somewhere where we can get close to it.
    Anybody else want to negotiate?
    Korben Dallas

Gabriel Strazza - Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Thank you for the heads-up, Gabriel.

It's good to roll high when it counts. That Seek the Sky wasn't Extended like the last one, so it'll only last 5 rounds instead of 10. That said, 5 round should be more than enough time to blast/shoot the dragon to death, and even if it lands on the cliff where it can reach us the sheer weight of actions we have should be enough to end the fight.
    Looking at your roll, I assume it does not automatically pass SR, in which case I'd need a caster level check, please.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I thought I was going to roll lower, so I left off the SR-ignoring part. Mostly out of hope that it wouldn't be that powerful.

SR: (1d20+7)[19]
    LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #285

The roll is good enough :)

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malachei View Post
    The roll is good enough :)
    It's a good thing I sacrificed a goat to the dice rolling gods, then.
    LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this resolved.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar View Post
    Nice! Looking forward to seeing this resolved.
    Then it'll be (hopefully) my favorite time: level-up time!

...except then it'll get even harder to use Utterances on the party.
    LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #289

It's a good thing I sacrificed a goat to the dice rolling gods, then.
    Now just hope that Azazel did not hear this.

20. - Top - End - #290

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    If we go into the towers, then it becomes very difficult for all of us to act against it. Those in a tower it doesn't pursue are useless unless they go to windows or the roof. People at windows and the roof are open to attack, so are not in materially better position than someone outside.

I'd rather face it in the open, not on the bridge where it has the potential to blow/knock us off. We can then react to its actions on a round by round basis, and all of us have a chance to do something.

I suspect that Rita and perhaps Aria also have a way to materially affect the dragon at a distance. Mead might get lucky with a glitterdust, but will otherwise not be a great deal of help.
    Since Aria's Reversed Seek the Sky is going to work on the dragon (isn't it?) once it gets within 60' of her, chances are one of two things will happen:

-It will still be in the gorge, in which case we just gained five rounds to recover and properly plan how to kill this thing.

-It will be out of the gorge and in the hobgoblins' former camp or somewhere near it.

Toli raises a good point about the problems with fighting it on the bridge. In addition to that, fighting it in an open area gives us much more space to move around and makes flanking easier. We know where it is likely to land, so we need to use that environment to our advantage.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Some of us (and Dunlan) hide in one of the towers' ground floor (next to the door) while the rest of us (and Makul) hide in the other tower's ground floor (also next to the door). We wait for it to come to us (by now it's probably seen/heard/smelled us and will see us run into the towers so it will know where to look, which is the point) and then we rush it, hitting it from both sides (doesn't matter which tower it investigates first) (the goliaths flank it as much as they can). Powered by Haste (I can easily get all of us if we hide in the towers), we smash it hard and fast.

Edit: With a plan like this we'll be able to move around as much as we please (it only takes up a 10' square) and it won't be able to rain fire on all of us from a distance or knock us off the bridge. It sets up an easy series of flanks (even Gabriel and Rita could flank it) and its attention is constantly divided amongst us--for every one of us it attacks, ten more are hitting it from another direction.

If it starts to fly again and Aria can't bring it down again, we can just hide in the towers again and let it come to us.

Edit 2: Yeah, that was pretty much Ladorak's plan, elaborated on.
    Last edited by Psydon; 2012-04-28 at 08:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, sounds good to me. So... what are we waiting for? Rita should do her action to get into position, no?

And then we're ready for the dragon rumble, methinks.

22. - Top - End - #292

BlueWizardGirl

Yes. I just need to figure out what to do.

23. - Top - End - #293

I'll try to update today.

24. - Top - End - #294

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Malachei View Post
    I'll try to update today.
    My reaction.

So...what does anyone else think about what we should do? I mean, it's a dragon and we've been beat on rather badly already. We're strong, but this could easily go south.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    My reaction.

So...what does anyone else think about what we should do? I mean, it's a dragon and we've been beat on rather badly already. We're strong, but this could easily go south.
    Hm. Honestly? I don't think we need to think about it too hard. The dragon is the absolute last thing we're going to deal with today, unless a dozen ninja wriggle out from under the bridge or something. We need to focus as much fire on it as we can, and hope we can kill it while it's land-bound.
    LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #296

Hm. Honestly? I don't think we need to think about it too hard. The dragon is the absolute last thing we're going to deal with today, unless a dozen ninja wriggle out from under the bridge or something. We need to focus as much fire on it as we can, and hope we can kill it while it's land-bound.
    A dozen ninjas? Great idea!

Sorry about the update not coming yesterday, I had an issue with the map. Will hopefully find the time today, or do so tomorrow.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A dragon! A draaagon! Draaaagon. Draaagon. :)

Nice rolls, Mead. Really nice rolls.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Huh? I didn't even think to check.

(goes away, returns).

Ah! Funny. We'll just hope that the dragon isn't quite as lucky.

29. - Top - End - #299

One thing that makes beguilers so wonderful is that they win the action economy with all the immediate-action spells on their list.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

(2d6+6)[15]

I must confess going toe-to-toe with a full health dragon with 43 or 45 HP is not sounding attractive.

If the hesitate pops I may actually have to have Dunlan kiss mead after the battle. It will be very hard to write convincingly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn