Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: [OOC] Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

And I'll get a post up summarizing Makul's possible joining of the group and the rest of the Goliath's leaving. Alright, Mal?

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar View Post
    And I'll get a post up summarizing Makul's possible joining of the group and the rest of the Goliath's leaving. Alright, Mal?
    You know, after that last fight, and knowing what we're going up against...

Do they have to leave?
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2012-07-18 at 08:28 AM.
    I have several presentations tomorrow/today and a case of strep throat. Expect delays, and wish me luck.

LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, the Goliaths have their own agenda and need to take care of their own as well - the living and the dead (Swiftrunner). Makul can be spared. He'll help you win this fight. Ahem.

Other than that - neither Mal nor I want to control a bunch of Goliaths as well every fight. Positioning and rolls and stuff are really tedious to take care of.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Frankly, adding low-level minions makes it harder for everyone to deal with. Either they swamp an encounter, or die at a rhetorical pinprick. I'm happy to have had them, and happy that they now fade to the side of the stage. It's not like we're taking on the army ourselves.

Um. I hope.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Frankly, adding low-level minions makes it harder for everyone to deal with. Either they swamp an encounter, or die at a rhetorical pinprick. I'm happy to have had them, and happy that they now fade to the side of the stage. It's not like we're taking on the army ourselves.

Um. I hope.
    You mean we're not just going to Leeroy Jenkins into the middle of the horde and assume that plot armor and our PCness will protect us?

Blasphemy.
    I have several presentations tomorrow/today and a case of strep throat. Expect delays, and wish me luck.

LGBTitP

6. - Top - End - #486
    Bugbear in the Playground

They have to leave, else the dice roller cpu will overheat.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Exactly.

So now with Joseph, our druidic twosome and Makul's entourage gone, we're 'down to' six characters, right?
    Mead, Rita, Aria as team squishy,
    Ser Dunlan and Makul as the brute squad and
    Gabriel as our scouting 'unit'. He doesn't need any assistance. He's that good.

Btw, I AM wearing my plot armor of utter PC invulnerability.
    ... maybe I should give it to Makul.

... hm.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

We are a couple of PCs short, including a divine caster. If re-recruitment doesn't go well I wouldn't mind playing a second character, a druid. Someone a bit more... verbose than Dunlan
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

9. - Top - End - #489

I trust you in playing both distinctively well, but with GITP not allowing character-specific user accounts, I'd rather not have people play two. I know there are ways to separate the visual impressions, but still.

Another question is if re-recruitment is really necessary. In terms of party size, six characters would enough, if they cover the party roles.

Do you feel you need a divine full caster? Or would you be able to cover aspects of the role between you?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I trust you as a DM to present the group with a challenge that is fun. Seriously, I think we could all have melee characters and Mal could still make the game challenging and fun for us.

Admittedly, certain tactical aspects will not come into play without a divine caster but my personal opinion is - so what? We've got enough on our plate and we're already six players/characters.

Edit: And we have a full-time wizard a full-time beguiler and a full-time truespeaker-lady. So there's lots of battlefield control, debuff 'n stuff going on.
    Last edited by Tashalar; 2012-07-18 at 03:29 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malachei View Post
    I trust you in playing both distinctively well, but with GITP not allowing character-specific user accounts, I'd rather not have people play two. I know there are ways to separate the visual impressions, but still.

Another question is if re-recruitment is really necessary. In terms of party size, six characters would enough, if they cover the party roles.

Do you feel you need a divine full caster? Or would you be able to cover aspects of the role between you?
    I think we'll be okay without a divine caster. With three full caster-types, we've got most battlefield control situations covered. We lack buffing a bit, but we're managing all right. If all else fails, Mead could take another Arcane Disciple feat next level-up, to get some extra healing or somesuch.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we'll be okay without a divine caster. With three full caster-types, we've got most battlefield control situations covered. We lack buffing a bit, but we're managing all right. If all else fails, Mead could take another Arcane Disciple feat next level-up, to get some extra healing or somesuch.
    Aria, ostensibly, is meant to buff as much as debuff, and I've tried to pick utterances that reflect that. Her latest one grants the Celestial and Infernal templates, including the Smite attack, so that should help give her more ways to help you all during a fight. A Smite Strike of Might Mountain Hammer or something to that effect is going to feel pretty good for both of us.

Her healing is still pretty slow, but as long as we can live through fights she has enough 'juice' to keep us all at full, all the time, which is more than most divine casters can say. It's a trade-off, but I'm not sure that it's a bad one.

LGBTitP

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Aria, ostensibly, is meant to buff as much as debuff, and I've tried to pick utterances that reflect that. Her latest one grants the Celestial and Infernal templates, including the Smite attack, so that should help give her more ways to help you all during a fight. A Smite Strike of Might Mountain Hammer or something to that effect is going to feel pretty good for both of us.

Her healing is still pretty slow, but as long as we can live through fights she has enough 'juice' to keep us all at full, all the time, which is more than most divine casters can say. It's a trade-off, but I'm not sure that it's a bad one.
    No complaints about Aria's healing. It kept Mead alive in the last fight. And the Celestial template should come in VERY handy for our melee types.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ettin in the Playground

No complaints about Aria's healing. It kept Mead alive in the last fight. And the Celestial template should come in VERY handy for our melee types.
    Really, when it comes to debuffing, there's almost no need for anyone else to touch on it; we have a really well-played Beguiler, the class that's made out of nothing but awesome illusions and enchantments. Aria can pull a few neat tricks, but it would be silly to focus her on debuffs when Mead can whip out Glitterdusts, Whelms, and the eternally-glorious Hesitate.

That said, Aria can use the Solid Fog utterance now, which is the best thing since sliced bread for Truenamers. I'm not sure how much I'm going to rely on it, because I've never used that spell before, but I'm glad that she can do more than affect one person at a time now.

LGBTitP

15. - Top - End - #495
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Aria's healing abilities are great - they are good in combat and awesome outside of it. The choice debuffs she has (downing that dragon comes to mind...) in combination with nifty buffs is great. And with 'celestial' and 'solid fog' she'll be even more flexible.

At a second glance I'm honestly not sure how much use the celestial template will be in most battles. DR will probably only come into play against lesser enemies (it IS nice to take less damage though) and the elemental resistances are nice but usually acid, electricity or cold don't come up very often. SR is great, but since our caster opponents will be of high(er) level more often than not, they'll beat it almost every time (I think the spellcaster in this fight would have automatically beat it every time). It's still a boon though. But in case I'm not overlooking something, maybe there is another buff that is better?

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar View Post
    At a second glance I'm honestly not sure how much use the celestial template will be in most battles. DR will probably only come into play against lesser enemies (it IS nice to take less damage though) and the elemental resistances are nice but usually acid, electricity or cold don't come up very often. SR is great, but since our caster opponents will be of high(er) level more often than not, they'll beat it almost every time (I think the spellcaster in this fight would have automatically beat it every time). It's still a boon though. But in case I'm not overlooking something, maybe there is another buff that is better?
    The big thing is the DR and the Smite, to be honest. We usually face a large number of weaker foes; which is appropriate, since our foe is an entire hobgoblin army. DR 5/Magic puts a huge dent into the damage one takes when that damage is coming from a large number of nonmagical sources. The SR is indeed weak, but it still introduces an element of failure for enemy spells, which doesn't exist otherwise. And the resistances for the Fiendish template are a bit better; Cold and Fire come up a bit more often. Resist 10 to whichever element you want isn't something to sneeze at, especially when you're fighting dragons. It may not seem like a lot, but all the benefits of the template should add up enough to make the transformed character (almost certainly one of the melee guys) able to shrug off a lot more punishment.

LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #497

After looking at what I've planned for you, I've decided to give it a try and recruit one new player. As we've been playing for more than 18 months, I'd like you to follow the recruitment. Once recruitment is closed, I'd like to ask each of you to indicate your top choice, as well as two alternates via PM. If you feel you have to veto someone or several of us object to the applications, I'll leave the spot unfilled.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malachei View Post
    After looking at what I've planned for you, I've decided to give it a try and recruit one new player. As we've been playing for more than 18 months, I'd like you to follow the recruitment. Once recruitment is closed, I'd like to ask each of you to indicate your top choice, as well as two alternates via PM. If you feel you have to veto someone or several of us object to the applications, I'll leave the spot unfilled.
    This sounds good to me, as evidenced by the fact that I just posted in the recruitment thread. I've already seen one candidate that will probably get my vote; and one that may get my veto.

LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #499

Interesting. Let's see who else wants to join. I've been planning to keep it open for a week, depending on how much interest there is.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Will we be waiting to move forward until recruitment is closed?

Other than that:
    After looking at what I've planned for you,
    I think I do remember that this would be a dangerous campaign...

Btw, I still have to level Makul. But I didn't feel like there's any hurry for that. Unless you want me to get it done quickly, Mal, I'll take another week or two to get that done. I'm pretty sure what I want to do. Just not entirely sure. :)

21. - Top - End - #501
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Sorry for the absence, everyone, and that includes the recruitment thing. I'll review the applicants and give my thoughts later today.

Regarding a Divine Caster:

I won't say no to one. But I wouldn't exactly say we need one. Aria is a great healer and between our three current casters we have all sorts of debuffs/status effect smackdown covered, and a reasonable amount of buffs. We could probably stand to have a little more, and I'll see what I can do about that.

Regarding Leveling:

Uh, still need to finalize Rita's new spells. XD I will get on that at some point.

LOOT LIST (w/ player desires)
    Spoiler
    Show

Xalyth
    Spoiler
    Show

Soft, black velvet gloves (Dex+4) (Gabriel)
    A necklace of dull gray platinum with a black pearl (Wis+2) (Presumably this goes to Nicolas since he's a WIS caster and I think he's the only one who makes uses of WIS)
    A matching headband of dull gray platinum (Concentration+5)
    A black cloak (Hide+10) (Mead)
    Black boots (Jump+10, Tumble+5) (Aria?)
    A black hood (Shadow Hand Hood, 3/day activate 2 SH stances) (Mead?)
    Three vials of silvery liquid (Invisibility) (Gabriel)
    Three vials of light green liquid (Exp. Retreat) (Aria)
    One vial of yellow liquid (Haste) (Gabriel)

The Hobgoblin Leader
    Spoiler
    Show

A golden headband (Concentration+5) (Rita)
    Heavy brown leather boots with fur (Jumping+5) (Aria?)
    A scimitar of black metal (Unholy Scimitar +2)
    A fine silvery chain shirt (Chain Shirt +2) (Makul)
    Heavy battle gauntlets (Ogre Power+2) (Dunlan)
    A fine, dark brown fur cloak (Resistance+3) (Mead)
    2 steel javelins (of Lightning (5d6, Ref14))

Horned One
    Spoiler
    Show

A thin adamantine headband (Headband of Intellect +2) (Aria)

A heavy golden sealing ring, the seal shows a three-headed dragon (Ring of Arcane Supremacy that also has the minor spellstoring ability) (Mead)

A fine red robe, embroidered with various symbols (Robe of Armor +4) (Rita, only if no one else wants it)

A staff of dark metal, its head resembling a claw (Staff of the Horned Triad, 23 charges, powers: Dragonskin (1 charge), Dimension Door (2 charges), Dragon Breath (2 charges), Arcane Spellsurge (3 charges), caster level 13th) (Rita)

A thin book made of dark brown leather with a reddish tinge, with engraved runes (Arcane Spellbook) (Rita)

Dragon/Dragon's Hoard
    Spoiler
    Show
    ???

Mundane
    Spoiler
    Show
    ???

22. - Top - End - #502

Happy to see you're back

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Really want these: Black boots (Jump+10, Tumble+5).

Looking over the applicants now...
    Will pm you soon Mal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    Really want these: Black boots (Jump+10, Tumble+5).

Looking over the applicants now...
    Will pm you soon Mal.
    Not a problem by me; Aria's listed as tentative on them, but she doesn't have any special need for them. She might like the Jump +5 boots, but that's also unnecessary; her utterance grant her decent mobility.

LGBTitP

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Re the black hood: Again, if any of our more martial characters want it, I'll cede it to them. Child of Shadow stance might be especially useful for our resident archer...

Mal: does the hood grant two specific stances, or any two stances that you qualify for?

26. - Top - End - #506
    Dwarf in the Playground

My understanding was that the black hood "only" gives you the ability to have two Shado hand stances active at once. So unless you know two Shadow hand stances it does absolutely nothing.
    IF it also imparts the knowledge of two Shadow hand stances then Yes, Gabriel is absolutely very interested.
    In any case Mal can you PM me the source of the or the stats so I can try to inflict it on my DM in another game

I will also PM Mal my opinion on the applicants a bit later.
    Anybody else want to negotiate?
    Korben Dallas

Gabriel Strazza - Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

27. - Top - End - #507
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm not sure I'll have the time to review the applicants. If I don't, everyone else will do just fine in choosing a new player, I'm sure.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Here's a list of all the applicants, for our convenience.

Why people don't post the fluff in their sheets is completely beyond me.

Player name -> Character name

Daftendirekt -> Summer (Rogue 2, Savage Bard 4, Druid 1)
    (No background given)
    (Writing sample)

Infernally Clay -> Raza (Bard 6, Level Adjustment +1)
    (No background given)

razorback -> Okulnir (Rogue 6, Level Adjustment +1)
    (Background)

Escheton -> Throsarque (Factotum3/Warblade2/Elf1/Wizard1)
    (No background given)
    (Writing sample)

Morbis Meh -> Sebastian (Archivist 7)
    (No background given)

Zman -> Zsiss (L2/Barb1/Sorc2/DagonDisiple1) (I think this is supposed to be: Barbarian 1/Sorcerer 2/Dragon Disciple 1, Level Adjustment +2)
    (Almost no background given)
    (Writing sample)

Mordokai -> Lars (Cloistered Cleric 5/Malconvoker 2)

Bindin Garoth -> Maz (Totemist 2/ Incarnate 4/ WB 1)

Perhaps instead of PMing everything to Mal we could discuss the applicants here? With your permission, Mal, of course.

RA, did you want the Jump +5 boots or the Jump +10/Tumble +5 boots?

---

LOOT LIST (w/ player desires)
    Spoiler
    Show

Xalyth
    Spoiler
    Show

Soft, black velvet gloves (Dex+4) (Gabriel)
    A necklace of dull gray platinum with a black pearl (Wis+2) (Presumably this goes to Nicolas since he's a WIS caster and I think he's the only one who makes uses of WIS)
    A matching headband of dull gray platinum (Concentration+5)
    A black cloak (Hide+10) (Mead)
    Black boots (Jump+10, Tumble+5) (Dunlan. Aria?)
    A black hood (Shadow Hand Hood, 3/day activate 2 SH stances) (Mead?)
    Three vials of silvery liquid (Invisibility) (Gabriel)
    Three vials of light green liquid (Exp. Retreat) (Aria)
    One vial of yellow liquid (Haste) (Gabriel)

The Hobgoblin Leader
    Spoiler
    Show

A golden headband (Concentration+5) (Rita)
    Heavy brown leather boots with fur (Jumping+5) (Aria?)
    A scimitar of black metal (Unholy Scimitar +2)
    A fine silvery chain shirt (Chain Shirt +2) (Makul)
    Heavy battle gauntlets (Ogre Power+2) (Dunlan)
    A fine, dark brown fur cloak (Resistance+3) (Mead)
    2 steel javelins (of Lightning (5d6, Ref14))

Horned One
    Spoiler
    Show

A thin adamantine headband (Headband of Intellect +2) (Aria)

A heavy golden sealing ring, the seal shows a three-headed dragon (Ring of Arcane Supremacy that also has the minor spellstoring ability) (Mead)

A fine red robe, embroidered with various symbols (Robe of Armor +4) (Rita, only if no one else wants it)

A staff of dark metal, its head resembling a claw (Staff of the Horned Triad, 23 charges, powers: Dragonskin (1 charge), Dimension Door (2 charges), Dragon Breath (2 charges), Arcane Spellsurge (3 charges), caster level 13th) (Rita)

A thin book made of dark brown leather with a reddish tinge, with engraved runes (Arcane Spellbook) (Rita)

Dragon/Dragon's Hoard
    Spoiler
    Show
    ???

Mundane
    Spoiler
    Show
    ???

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    Perhaps instead of PMing everything to Mal we could discuss the applicants here? With your permission, Mal, of course.
    Thanks for the list, Psydon! I think I'll stick with PM'ing Mal my thoughts. It would feel weird evaluating people in the thread, and then having some of them joining in that same thread...
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2012-08-02 at 10:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the list, Psydon! I think I'll stick with PM'ing Mal my thoughts. It would feel weird evaluating people in the thread, and then having some of them joining in that same thread...
    This. While group discussion is nice, this is an open thread. Additionally, I have some things to say about people that, should they be picked, would not be held fondly. Heck, even saying that might be a bit much, though I'm not overly concerned.

If you would like to talk, then I'd be happy to discuss with you over PM, since I've played with most of the applicants in one game or another.

EDIT- Aria is fine with the lesser boots, or nothing at all if someone else really wants them.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2012-08-02 at 10:44 PM.

LGBTitP