Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Absolutely. Because if one mithril shirt helps you move quickly and easily, three will make you the Flash!
    I know Aria is wearing one as a hat and two as boots. They make her extra-pretty, what with being shiny and all.

In reality, though, she just has a good old-fashioned +1 Chain Shirt. Hopefully she'll be able to upgrade to mithral at some point.
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

*Summer sits in the corner, crying over her inability to wear metal*

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daftendirekt View Post
    *Summer sits in the corner, crying over her inability to wear metal*
    Psh, I don't even. There are more non-metal-but-just-as-good armors throughout the various 3.5 books than I can easily count. Dragonhide, bearhide, darkwood, that wood in Races of the Forest that pretends to be metal; once you get to level 7 or 8 they aren't even expensive.

Druids are awesome with no drawbacks, is the gist.
    LGBTitP

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

B-but I want chain shirt shoes and chain shirt hats!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'll take the next mithral full plate we find then.
    Last edited by Tashalar; 2012-08-10 at 12:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I won't be away, strictly speaking, for the next little while, but I'm sending my laptop in for maintenance. With luck, it'll just be a cleaning and I'll get it back in no time, but it's possible they might have to send it back to the manufacturer.

I have access to another laptop, so I'll be online when I'm able.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to be pushy as I'm the new guy, but... is this ever going to get going?

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daftendirekt View Post
    Yeah, we have slow bumps some times. This is one of them. I suspect very one is vacationing or moving back to school. Or just busy.
    LGBTitP

9. - Top - End - #549
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just busy. I'll post asap, though it will perhaps take me another day. I admit we have occasional pauses, but the game always picks up again, so IMO, that's far better than most games which are moving quickly at first and then stopping altogether. I chose play-by-post exactly for the option of adjusting speed to RL demands, and I'm fairly happy with how long this game is alive and the quality the players bring to it.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Yeah, what the others said. Sometimes there are longer pauses and sometimes we have real posting rushes. You can always be 99 % sure that this will continue even if nothing happens for a while. Feel free to drop in and ask if you want to know what's going on.

Advance notice for me: I'll be on vacation soonish - no internet access from the 18th of August until the 4th of September.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Similarly, I'm heading into two weeks of festival insanity and spotty posting.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

12. - Top - End - #552

I've posted in IC.

Note aside from the road, the terrain is hills. The group in front of you is moving about half your speed or slower. By taking advantage of the hills, you can probably remain unseen until you are about 200 ft. distant. Afterwards, you'd need to hide.

You can make Spot checks, if you wish, as well as Knowledge checks if you want to try to identify the creatures. Obviously, the closer you are, the higher the likelihood of your check resulting in a success.

Any questions?

13. - Top - End - #553
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spot (1d20+16)[35]
    K(Nature) (1d20+9)[21]
    K(Arcana) (1d20+3)[13]

Before I post.
    Anybody else want to negotiate?
    Korben Dallas

Gabriel Strazza - Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

14. - Top - End - #554

Gabriel is quite sure these are hobgoblins, and he thinks he can spot the banner of the Red Hand. The larger creature has green skin and a long, crooked nose. It could be a troll, but is wearing armor and carries a huge axe.
    Last edited by Malachei; 2012-08-13 at 07:11 AM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Just to make sure - these other creatures are moving towards us or away from us?

Other than that - Makul doesn't have any skill checks he can make. At least none that can be successful.

16. - Top - End - #556

Away from you, but very slowly.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Unless I'm mistaken both RA and Toliudar are playing it as if they are moving towards us. If Gabriel could clarify this with a post, that'd be awesome. Otherwise I'll make a post in the morning where I suppose that it's now clear they are moving away.

OOC-suggested course of action:
    Invisble (possibly flying) Gabriel scouts them while we gain on them. I guess we should find out what they are doing, where they are coming from. Obviously they did not come from the bridge. After them! ... agreed?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds good - and yes, I posted IC before I read the OOC exchange, and decided to leave Mead's misunderstanding of the situation. If need be, she could pause to cast clairvoyance on the group, but that seems like overkill. I say we just catch up - it sounds like that won't be hard to do.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

19. - Top - End - #559

Aria
    Spoiler
    Show

Your spot is too low for your knowledge to have precise visual impression.

Gabriel
    Spoiler
    Show

As Gabriel closes on the band, he notes that the cart has wooden bars, and there are people inside, which seem to be humans.

Outside, the creatures are in fact nearly a dozen hobgoblins, with two hell hounds and this large creature (you can roll Knowledge (Nature) for this one).

Mead
    Spoiler
    Show

Mead notes the group is moving in the same direction as you are, but much more slowly, possibly due to the cart. They're about a dozen medium-size humanoids, plus one large one.

Last edited by Malachei; 2012-08-14 at 02:29 AM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

K(Nature) (1d20+9)[22]

Yay! Hellhounds.
    Anybody else want to negotiate?
    Korben Dallas

Gabriel Strazza - Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

21. - Top - End - #561

Gabriel
    Spoiler
    Show

You indeed think the large creature would most likely be a troll, but a stronger variety.

22. - Top - End - #562

BlueWizardGirl

Post to come later tonight (and Mal/RA, will put my two cents into ITW as well).

I've been...delayed. A friendship with Saruman is not lightly thrown aside...

23. - Top - End - #563

A friendship with Saruman?

You shall not pass!

24. - Top - End - #564

BlueWizardGirl

Oh, well, I guess I'll--

*falls into the depths of Moria*

I regret nothiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...

---

Sorry about the lack of post: I had to wake up very early to properly register for my classes, which I failed to do anyway so now I have to wait for hopefully slots to clear from a couple of classes I want to get into...bleh.

Managed to get to ITW, though.

In other news, I'm not sure which 4th level spells to learn. I have three spells to learn and one must be a Transmutation spell. I'm terribly indecisive, so please help me out.

My current candidates are:

Dimension Door (we all know what this does)

Scrying (we all know what this does)

Assay Spell Resistance (+10 on CL checks to beat SR for round/level)

Dispelling Screen (it's basically a Wall of Dispel Magic. It's pretty cool)

Wall of Pain (not bad, really. Could be useful for our melee)

Baleful Blink (Transmutation) (save-or-weep for the rest of the fight. Could be useful against more powerful targets)

Call of Stone (Transmutation) (it petrifies people!)

Perinarch (Transmutation) (I have no idea what this truly does but I think it's like Resilient Sphere, only I can change where it is within a given area, and what it is via mixing up the four classical elements into a combination I desire)

25. - Top - End - #565

BlueWizardGirl

This post is just because the previous one error'd.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    Dimension Door (we all know what this does)
    Medium-range travel is useful, but this isn't always the best in-combat spell. Lower-level spells cover combat with equal proficiency, and it isn't Teleport; we can't travel with it or send long-range messages. Less useful than it's cracked up to be.
    Scrying (we all know what this does)
    This is really going to depend on Mal; that said, Mal gives good information and we're good at obsessive over-analysis. This may be a good pick for our group. Just keep in mind that the spell requires specific targets.
    Assay Spell Resistance (+10 on CL checks to beat SR for round/level)
    Very useful, but it may not have enough versatility or utility for your first round of 4th level spells. You'll want it at higher levels, but at this point you'll have to ask yourself if you'll really use it every day, or every time you prepare it.
    Dispelling Screen (it's basically a Wall of Dispel Magic. It's pretty cool)
    This is neat, but just remember that it will hit us as well, and we generally have more magic running than Team Goblin.
    Wall of Pain (not bad, really. Could be useful for our melee)
    This thing is bloody beautiful, especially against a large number of melee combatants. Our boys have the saves to take it, their swarms decidedly do not. A seriously good spell when you're outnumbered.
    Baleful Blink (Transmutation) (save-or-weep for the rest of the fight. Could be useful against more powerful targets)
    A solid Save-or-Suck, comparable to many of its level. Not much to say.
    Call of Stone (Transmutation) (it petrifies people!)
    This spell is good against big, slow opponents, not so much against hordes. Just note that while this does force multiple saves, big and slow opponents usually have decent Fortitude saves. Additionally, this takes a while to bring them to a halt.
    Perinarch (Transmutation) (I have no idea what this truly does but I think it's like Resilient Sphere, only I can change where it is within a given area, and what it is via mixing up the four classical elements into a combination I desire)
    This is only useful on the plane of Limbo. Probably not a good pick for this game.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2012-08-16 at 09:24 PM.
    LGBTitP

27. - Top - End - #567

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    This thing is bloody beautiful, especially against a large number of melee combatants. Our boys have the saves to take it, their swarms decidedly do not. A seriously good spell when you're outnumbered.
    Another great thing about it is that its area doesn't have to be vertical--and there are Wall spells that specify they must be vertical (Wind Wall, for example). Wall of Pain is a bunch of 10' squares I can arrange in any form ("You fill an area with horrid energy") I wish.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    Another great thing about it is that its area doesn't have to be vertical--and there are Wall spells that specify they must be vertical (Wind Wall, for example). Wall of Pain is a bunch of 10' squares I can arrange in any form ("You fill an area with horrid energy") I wish.
    I've seen a higher level Wizard force an entire army to halt with this spell and a few other choice Walls (Wind and Fire, mostly). It's a sweeping debuff, and if RP'd correctly most grunts would not be willing to move through it unless they were absolute fanatics for their cause.
    LGBTitP

29. - Top - End - #569
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Baleful blink - no SR is neat as is the fact that it affects spells and attacks. But it's only worthwhile on low-Fortitude-save creatures.

Wall of Pain - the area is weird. How high is it? Or how 'thick' is it? Note that we meleers do not have great will saves after all. The effect is nice, admittedly.

Call of stone - great flavor, but very low probability of getting the desired result.

Assay spell resistance - if you want it at some point, now is the time to take it, I guess. You don't want to start taking 4th level spells when you can pick up 5th level ones, do you?

Also: Off on vacation - see you on the 5th of September! :)

30. - Top - End - #570

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar View Post
    Wall of Pain - the area is weird. How high is it? Or how 'thick' is it? Note that we meleers do not have great will saves after all. The effect is nice, admittedly.
    It has neither height nor thickness. Wall of Pain takes the form of, at maximum, one 10' square per caster level, and the spell does not demand that these squares be oriented vertically. Edit: There are Wall spells that specify both of those things.
    Last edited by Psydon; 2012-08-17 at 01:42 AM.