Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

The goliath is dead.

No, let's start by doing a first round and see what happens.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Darn. But that's life. In the end there's just death.

Alright, one round it is! :)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Oh, and Aria did kill the darn archer, right?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

The archer is down, yes.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Wow. We're kicking butt here.

Well, okay, I think I know what I'm going to do. Not yet, though.

6. - Top - End - #36

BlueWizardGirl

Edit: This is the rest of my turn, Mal.

Rita (25' off the ground) casts Summon Monster III, summoning a Celestial Dire Bat at K14, 20' off the ground.

I have a number of things to do, and since summoning lasts until my next turn, I think I'll forgo an IC post and just put everything Rita does for this round and the next in my IC post for the next round.
    Last edited by Psydon; 2012-01-26 at 12:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The bat only arrives at the start of her next turn - you've got that, right?

8. - Top - End - #38

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tashalar View Post
    The bat only arrives at the start of her next turn - you've got that, right?
    The SRD says:

"It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn."

It says nothing about summoned creatures arriving the turn after. Summoning it consumes my entire turn (what if I had Quickened it?), yes, but it's still my turn and the creature's actions are, in essence, immediate actions for its initial appearance. Not to mention that it would be a rather dickish move on the creators' part because it would take away a whole round from the summon's duration (which is already short) for no good reason.
    Last edited by Psydon; 2012-01-26 at 11:04 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You’re so incredibly good at the mechanics of this game already, that I tend to forget that you’re actually pretty new to it. Sometimes there’s a small rule that you don’t know about… yet. Soon you'll know everything.

Here comes:

Casting time(s):
    Swift, immediate, move and standard action – all clear, right?
    Then there’s the full round action. That’s what you are referring to. It consumes the standard and move action you have. All you can do in addition to a full round action is a 5’ step.
    And then there are longer casting times – such as 1 round for summoning spells. This means that you are doing nothing but casting a summoning spell until it’s your turn again on the next round. Then you are done and then the summoned creatures appear. This also means that your casting can be interrupted by dealing damage to you.

The duration ‘count’ only starts when the spell finishes though. So the first round when the creature(s) can act is also the first round that counts against the spell’s duration.

Quickening summoning spells only works if you find a way to reduce their casting time. There’s an alternate class feature that Burjin has and then there’s a feat called rapid spell (IIRC) which reduces the casting time. For a cost though.
    Last edited by Tashalar; 2012-01-26 at 11:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

BlueWizardGirl

Yes, all that makes sense but why, then, would the spell text say that the creature acts immediately? If it waits to act until its master's next turn, even if it acts before the master does, that's not immediately. The use of that word implies that the creature acts the very moment it is put into play, like this:

PC
    PC
    Enemy
    Wizard
    PC
    Enemy
    PC

Which then becomes...

PC
    PC
    Enemy
    Wizard
    Summon <- The creature's actions are shoved into the initiative order.
    PC
    Enemy
    PC

Initiative doesn't work that way in this game but the principle is sound.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Once you've summoned it, then it acts immediately. I know you're not happy about it, but a 1-round casting time is a way to balance a very powerful, versatile spell, and any spell with a 1-round casting time needs to be cast until the beginning of your next turn, opening you up for attacks while casting.

Psydon, you're playing a Strongheart Halfling Focused Transmuter; please don't tell me you're worried about power.
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

12. - Top - End - #42

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    Psydon, you're playing a Strongheart Halfling Focused Transmuter; please don't tell me you're worried about power.
    Power has nothing to do with it. It's...

any spell with a 1-round casting time needs to be cast until the beginning of your next turn
    Oh...wait...

This means that you are doing nothing but casting a summoning spell until it’s your turn again on the next round.
    Oh...oh! I get it now!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Edit: To make this more of a post: the weather is getting cold over here. We haven't had a winter so far and now it's finally going below zero degrees celsius.
    Last edited by Tashalar; 2012-01-26 at 02:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

BlueWizardGirl

Over here in Canada, it's snowing right now.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Standard action: Refresh warblade mans
    move: Head down the tower and exit

Crusader mans (Forgot to roll last turn): All
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    Over here in Canada, it's snowing right now.
    I might as well just post that into my sig. It'll usually be true.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

17. - Top - End - #47

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    I might as well just post that into my sig. It'll usually be true.
    Touche. Then again, in Ontario winters aren't what they used to be.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

It was in the high sixties where I live (central North Carolina). My heart, she is broken. I love the cold, and winter still hasn't come.
    LGBTitP

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Snow! There's snow! At least an inch or so. And the weather will stay cold so we might keep that inch for a while. Heh.

Btw, I'll get a post up today most probably - if not, then it'll be Monday as I'm out of town without my stuff. If not and you want to update, Mal, Makul sends the goliaths around in pairs of two/three, near the tower, heals himself with the belt (1 charge) and moves a little away from the tower 20', shouting a challenge for the vanished one.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Is everyone still trying to figure out what to do? It seems like the easiest round of the whole combat so far to me. Let's find us that invisible one and then deal with the scaly one.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Who needs healing? I need to check the durations of my abilities, but I think several of my Utterances will be winding down soon. Should I hit our Skirmish-master with another Seek the Sky?
    LGBTitP

22. - Top - End - #52

BlueWizardGirl

Mead, Nicolas, Aria and Makul could certainly use some healing but I'd say Jasmine needs it more than any of us. Unless DM!Nicolas cast a healing spell on her during the previous round, she's sitting pretty at 21/100 HP.

Unless I misread things, Seek the Sky was spoken to Gabriel on round 2. We're on round 9.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    Mead, Nicolas, Aria and Makul could certainly use some healing but I'd say Jasmine needs it more than any of us. Unless DM!Nicolas cast a healing spell on her during the previous round, she's sitting pretty at 21/100 HP.

Unless I misread things, Seek the Sky was spoken to Gabriel on round 2. We're on round 9.
    Excellent, I thought we were further in than that; it was Extended, so he still has three rounds of flight left. I can't renew it until then.

What's Jasmine's CR? I can only use HD for PC's, for Animal Companions and the like I have to use CR, but I'm not quite sure how to determine that.
    LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

What's Jasmine's CR? I can only use HD for PC's, for Animal Companions and the like I have to use CR, but I'm not quite sure how to determine that.
    That's pretty difficult, really.

... but, you know, Mead and Makul both are need of healing as well. And Nicolas can heal himself and Jasmine at the same time (has a feat for that) - so he should be able to take care of himself and his companion.

Excellent, I thought we were further in than that; it was Extended, so he still has three rounds of flight left. I can't renew it until then.
    Will you be able to get the dragon out of the sky again as well then? I haven't looked closely at how utterances work (yet), but as far as I remember, you cannot have the same one going twice at the same time? Unless you use the new magic item you've got?

... I think it's very important to down the dragon again (this time on solid ground) to be able to battle it effectively and not let it escape. We really need Aria for that.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

... but, you know, Mead and Makul both are need of healing as well. And Nicolas can heal himself and Jasmine at the same time (has a feat for that) - so he should be able to take care of himself and his companion.
    Duly noted; I think Mead is her likely target for healing, but I believe Mead should still have a Word of Nurturing going on her.

Will you be able to get the dragon out of the sky again as well then? I haven't looked closely at how utterances work (yet), but as far as I remember, you cannot have the same one going twice at the same time? Unless you use the new magic item you've got?

... I think it's very important to down the dragon again (this time on solid ground) to be able to battle it effectively and not let it escape. We really need Aria for that.
    I can use the book again, but you're right; Aria isn't optimized to the point that she can bust out limitless Utterances, and the dragon takes priority. That's assuming he comes back at all, that is.
    LGBTitP

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I can use the book again, but you're right; Aria isn't optimized to the point that she can bust out limitless Utterances, and the dragon takes priority. That's assuming he comes back at all, that is.
    Yep - and if the dragon doesn't come back, then Gabriel doesn't need flight either.

Duly noted; I think Mead is her likely target for healing, but I believe Mead should still have a Word of Nurturing going on her.
    Moderate Word of Nurturing - cast by Aria on round 4
    Mead has it listed on round 7 but doesn't have it listed any longer on round 8 and 9. It lasts 5 rounds, right? Then it should still have healed her on round 8 (5 rounds - 5x healing) but is gone on round 9 (this round).
    But round 8 her hit points go from 20 to 27 (4 from belt of healing and 3 from... is that the moderate word of nurturing?)

Anyways, it's not active any longer and could be 'reapplied'.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Oh? Yay! I thought it lasted five rounds. My mistake. How long does it run?
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Oh? Yay! I thought it lasted five rounds. My mistake. How long does it run?
    That was my mistake; I didn't realize how early I used it on you. You should have been healed for 25 points overall by the Word. Would you like another? What is Mead's hp/hpmax?
    LGBTitP

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Mead's now at 34/59, and still has one more charge on her healing belt. She'd of course welcome the help, but I won't mind if there's someone else in more serious need.

30. - Top - End - #60

BlueWizardGirl

Makul is at 71/94HP, with 12 of that possibly being temporary HP granted by rage. I dunno. At least he's not in danger of being OHKOd. We should make our way to him, whether we heal him or not.

Dunlan is at 93/99HP.

The most recent Noblesse post puts Nicolas at 35/68HP. I was wrong about Jasmine: she's at 50/100HP. Keep in mind that Mal never recorded what Nicolas and Jasmine did during Round 8, so their HP could be higher than these numbers, but these are their confirmed minimums.

How strange. Tasha, you said he can heal Jasmine and himself at once with a feat, right? In his Round 7 post he cast CSW on Jasmine instead of on himself so they would both benefit from it. Is there some kind of limitation to the double-healing feat?

Gabriel and Rita are both at max HP. Actually, I don't think either of them has even been hit so far.

What options do we have for locating potentially invisible, non-Glitterdusted targets?