Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Malachei's Red Hand of Doom

Oh, and:

1d20+13=28 --> that is one short --> the drow is tripped.

Congratulations!

I hate to ask, but have you rolled the miss chance? *keeps fingers crossed*

2. Top - End - #242
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In addition to that, shouldn't he crit-confirm his extra attack? He rolled a natural 20 on it.

@Tasha: Not that I want to speak for the DM but I like to think you could. A charge:

-Is a full-round action, not a move action.
    -Isn't a standard move. Not being able to do a standard move out of a 5' step makes sense because it would be way too easy to get away from melee opponents since 5' steps don't provoke AoOs. Charging has numerous restrictions; most of the time you simply can't do it whether you 5' step beforehand or not.

3. Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

While it's a full action manoeuvre, which would allow a 5-step, but it says 'As part of this action you charge an opponent' which would not. As you say, doesn't matter too much one way or the other thanks to the 30 foot jump
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2012-04-18 at 07:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit also by KP. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

4. Top - End - #244

@Psydon:
    Quote Originally Posted by RC
    Since you move to charge, you can't take a 5-foot step during the same turn.
    @Ladorak: I've not looked at the map yet, just let me ask, why would your action need a 5-ft-step?

That is a fabulous attack, and I want to see it make a difference (and, if you hit, it will make a *huge* difference). Still, please remember to check for the miss chance (the drow still has concealment). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (not for the drow).
    Last edited by Malachei; 2012-04-18 at 10:49 AM.

5. Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

He intended the 5' step at first I think and then jumped and then charged and then... then the 5' step didn't really work out, rules-wise.

Luckily, he can even make the jump without the 5' step because of his awesome roll!

*keeps fingers crossed for the miss chance AND CRIT CONFIRMATION!*

So in case the drow isn't down, then Rita might be able to finish it off.
    Last edited by Tashalar; 2012-04-18 at 11:19 AM.

6. Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

A jump can come anywhere within a move, right? So couldn't the first 5' of movement just be part of the charge action?
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

7. Top - End - #247
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Perfectly true, Toliudar. But I believe that a swift action (sudden leap is made as part of a swift action) cannot be performed in the midst of a move action. It's swift action => move action => standard action or swift action => full round action (in any combination you like), but the actions cannot be broken up, I think.

A 5' step in the middle of a full attack action is an exception, I believe.

8. Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, thanks Tashalar. I missed that part of the equation.
    Currently climbing out of a heckofa two weeks at work/RL. Now working to catch up. Thanks for your patience.

Peridot avatar (complete with demon consorts) courtesy of the very talented Telasi.

Despair favours the status quo. It is a luxury we cannot afford. ~ Andrew Nikiforuk

9. Top - End - #249

@Tasha: Thanks for being alert. I hope this doesn't get virtual dice thrown at you by the others, eventually :)

10. Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry about the concealment roll. I re-read where we were up to before posting, noticed I didn't roll them last time, kicked myself, posted and forgot again. Am now kicking self again

Miss chances:
    (1d100)[24]
    (1d100)[59]

Edit: Oh god damn it...
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2012-04-18 at 03:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

11. Top - End - #251

Oh, NO!

... :(

12. Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

It was 30%, right? ****.

Well, let's see what Rita comes up with and then... then our drow lady friend.

13. Top - End - #253

Yes. I am really sorry that this ruins the epic moment.

I wish I had forgotten about the miss chance, but that would not have been a fair win for you.

We'll just take a moment and remember Ser Dunlan's already had another epic moment in this fight, when Rita translocated him to the tower where he killed the mage with one full attack.

Also, he's now standing right in front of the drow. Let's see how that turns out.

14. Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Not well for Dunlan I am betting...

Btw Mal I'll have some free time either friday or sunday and don't mind going through my old books to come up with a summon demon list for the Fiendlord. Should I include ugoloths as well, or just devils and demons?
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2012-04-19 at 07:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

15. Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oh, rats. =\ Well, I'll see what I can do. In the meantime...

You're a psychiatrist working in a mental institution. You have a patient, let's call him Bob, who is schizophrenic. Bob is an atypical case in that his disorder only manifests a single symptom: he lives in a hallucinatory world where everyone, including Bob himself, is as happy as can be and there is no pain. He is in no way a danger to anyone or himself and is capable of a degree of functionality in the real world (eating, sleeping and other bodily functions in their proper places). Bob's family and friends exist only in his mind.

Would you medicate Bob, bringing him back to reality at the cost of his utopia, or would you let him live out his life in bliss?

16. Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Yes to medicating him, absolutely. The only information that I could possibly have about this hallucinatory world are the things that Bob has told me about them, which means that he can interact meaningfully in this world. Only by medicating him and giving him an opportunity to experience the real world for a time can I give Bob an opportunity for comparison. If he then wants to go off of his meds again later, he can make legal arrangements to have himself re-committed, with proper instructions as to how and if he might wish to be treated.

It's not my call to make whether he should or should not be cut off from real human interaction. My experience with Schitzophrenics is that their altered states rarely remain entirely benign; just because he reports happiness in this world so far doesn't guarantee that he will remain happy with his hallucinatory friends and family. Just as, come to think of it, being currently happy with our lives is not always a good predictor of whether we'll be happy in a few years.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2012-04-19 at 11:47 AM.

17. Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    Not well for Dunlan I am betting...

Btw Mal I'll have some free time either friday or sunday and don't mind going through my old books to come up with a summon demon list for the Fiendlord. Should I include ugoloths as well, or just devils and demons?
    That would be wonderful. Please do include yugoloths.

Btw, have you received the PMs regarding Into the Wild?

18. Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Yes to medicating him, absolutely. The only information that I could possibly have about this hallucinatory world are the things that Bob has told me about them, which means that he can interact meaningfully in this world. Only by medicating him and giving him an opportunity to experience the real world for a time can I give Bob an opportunity for comparison. If he then wants to go off of his meds again later, he can make legal arrangements to have himself re-committed, with proper instructions as to how and if he might wish to be treated.
    But if you give him the meds you re-introduce him to suffering, if in no other form other than that you took "his entire life" away. He's your patient; you're supposed to reduce his suffering whenever possible.

Also, what if after taking the meds his mind can't re-create the utopia and he's stuck in the real world, or worse, his mind creates a new hallucinatory world that's full of pain and misery? What's so valuable about letting Bob compare between reality and fantasy when he's clearly already satisfied with the latter?

My experience with Schitzophrenics is that their altered states rarely remain entirely benign; just because he reports happiness in this world so far doesn't guarantee that he will remain happy with his hallucinatory friends and family. Just as, come to think of it, being currently happy with our lives is not always a good predictor of whether we'll be happy in a few years.
    You could start giving him meds if the world stops being a utopia, because that would defeat the point of the dilemma. Until then, though...

19. Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psydon View Post
    But if you give him the meds you re-introduce him to suffering, if in no other form other than that you took "his entire life" away. He's your patient; you're supposed to reduce his suffering whenever possible.
    How would I know that? It also pre-supposes that he has no life at all in the real world, and that he is incapable of forming one. If his only symptom, currently, is that he has this vivid hallucinatory state, there's absolutely no reason he can't form real connections.

Also, what if after taking the meds his mind can't re-create the utopia and he's stuck in the real world, or worse, his mind creates a new hallucinatory world that's full of pain and misery? What's so valuable about letting Bob compare between reality and fantasy when he's clearly already satisfied with the latter?
    These are certainly possible, but impossible to know in advance. Again, not my call to make. Just as it cannot be assumed that a currently pleasant state will remain pleasant in perpetuity, it cannot be assumed that the temporary loss of that state will lead to lasting harm.

If, as you say, simply putting Bob back on meds removes the only thing that makes him mentally different than everyone else, I would argue that while suffering is included in the package of real life, there are also a great many other things that make it worthwhile. Things not part of his current experience - new sights, tastes, loves, a good book, running a marathon. And, of course, the opportunity for a real family and friends.

If Bob is my patient, my job is emphatically not to eliminate his suffering, unless that's what he tells me to do. Especially since the loss of hallucination is not generally considered to be a bad thing, medically, anywhere other than in Equus. My job is to treat an illness and return him to a state where he can make decisions for himself. Otherwise, I'm infantilizing him by removing from him the right to make that decision for himself.

Your initial scenario didn't establish in any way that Bob had expressed an opinion in the real world about how he wished to be treated. There's no way for an outside observer to assess that Bob is, at any given time "completely satisfied" with anything. If you wish to establish a set of pre-existing directives from Bob as parameters of the scenario, that would of course put things in a different light. You've put the reader in the position of a health care professional responsible for the care of a patient. I've simply told you my impression of what that health care professional's moral responsibilities would be.

You could start giving him meds if the world stops being a utopia, because that would defeat the point of the dilemma. Until then, though...
    That's true, but there's nothing in the scenario that suggests that we would know if the mental state stopped being a utopia. I would also argue that simply being blissful and pain-free is a pretty far cry from utopia, since you can get pretty much the same thing by giving someone morphine 24-7. But that's a side issue.

This is a fun scenario, Psydon. I'm sorry if I discouraged others from responding - I'd love to hear other perspectives as well. Are you familiar with the 1989 film "Dad", starring Jack Lemmon? It covers some of the same ground.

20. Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Y My experience with Schitzophrenics is that their altered states rarely remain entirely benign; just because he reports happiness in this world so far doesn't guarantee that he will remain happy with his hallucinatory friends and family. Just as, come to think of it, being currently happy with our lives is not always a good predictor of whether we'll be happy in a few years.
    Entirely agreed with Psydon until Toliudar said this. Reminded me of someone, his name was Mike. I met him when he was 17 I think. He reported experiences similar to Bob, a perfect cosmic moment, oneness with everything, loving angels all around him. He felt the love of all living things around him. When he was 19 he became incredibly aggressive and delusional, he has been sectioned dozens of times, it has continued to this day, he is almost 30. This is not the only story like this I could tell .

So, as a psychiatrist question I now agree with Toliudar, medicate him. If Bob can talk to me, eat when he is hungry and so forth then the real world is still subject to the nature of Bob's delusion, and there's no certainty that delusion will remain benign, it could become hostile.

Posed as a philosophy question however; The psychiatrists get around and have this conversation we just had. Then news comes! Investigation shows there is a chance (Only a chance) that the blow to the head that triggered this state was deliberate, and Bob may have somehow (See why it's a philosophy question?) known and brought this state on. The investigators have no idea if it was or wasn't, they only know it is possible. Medicate?

Quote Originally Posted by Malachei View Post
    Btw, have you received the PMs regarding Into the Wild?
    I'm been putting it off because I really like the character handed to me, but the fact is I just don't have the time. I'd play in as many of your games as possible, but I can't. I can't do all the back reading to have any idea really what's going on, I literally have nothing to say. When you offered me this chance you also mentioned I would be able to join with a character of my own somewhere later down the line. If that's still an option I'd like to ask for that now. The only way I can play in this game is as a foreigner or something like that. I think I can roleplay as someone who has no idea what all these strange names mean and what any of these places look like, because that's me.

That's not all however, I'm only in 2 games and didn't really have time for another, that was before I took on a GM project way beyond my ability and resources timewise.

Later this may be different, my work is of the kind that means it's possible two months from now that I'll have way more free time. Plus maybe my huge project will crash and burn
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

21. Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak
    I'm been putting it off because I really like the character handed to me, but the fact is I just don't have the time. I'd play in as many of your games as possible, but I can't. I can't do all the back reading to have any idea really what's going on, I literally have nothing to say.
    Absolutely no problem. I'll have him revert to being an NPC, then.

22. Top - End - #262

Oh, and sorry for the double, but I just checked again, and the miss chance is

20%
    That means you hit.

My apologies for the hole in my memory.
    Last edited by Malachei; 2012-04-20 at 09:31 AM.

23. Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

=O So his entire attack sequence went through?

24. Top - End - #264

Yes. I'll post the results as soon as I find the time.

25. Top - End - #265

I realize I'm not a player in this game, so I'm just going to make a single remark and then however it's taken vanish back into the shadows.

I've been lurking and reading your game, and while I haven't read everything yet I've been very entertained with what I did read. Of particular interest to me was that the party had a Truenamer among its ranks and has the entire time. Now I admit, coming in I had no respect for the class whatsoever and chuckled more than once at the notion that a Truenamer could do anything useful. However, upon reading through the IC thread up to the present in its entirety I must say I was actually fairly impressed. Telling the dragon no, you're not flying at us and taking it out for at least the entire duration of the combat in one move was critical to my change of stance. I have no idea how optimized the dragon was but if it's even half as much as I was thinking dealing with it and all of the other things you'd have had to fight would have proven too much for the group, whereas dividing and conquering enemy forces worked out extremely well for you.

Reading this thread and Aria's posts within it actually gave me an idea for an optimized encounter for my own game. Yes, optimized. Based on Truenamer and Truespeaking. I am not being sarcastic or joking or mocking anyone in any way. In fact, I've only been more impressed with "the Cuisinart rewrite". Your DM can probably guess what monster I just referenced, the rest of you will have to fear in the dark.

26. Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I've said it before and I'll say it again: maybe the Truenamer class does suck--and I, for one, have yet to be convinced of that--but our Truenamer doesn't. Aria is tangible proof that the class can perform well.

Now, to business.

First of all, Diablo 3 is awesome.

Second of all, this party is thrice as awesome for everything we've accomplished. We've won ourselves some time to breathe and lick our wounds, but we're all diminished right now and will likely need to pull out all the stops to kill a dragon, so let's gather, discuss our next move and formulate a plan in the days to come.

In the meantime, let's hear it for each and every one of us for kicking all the ass that we do, for our DM for providing these excellent encounters, for our fallen enemies for whatever phat lewt their bodies will provide, and for Tiamat for being so gracious as to give us a source of dragon scales to sell or fashion armour with.

(Third of all, I'll get back to you in time, Toli and Ladorak. Fourth of all, I'll miss you from ITW, Ladorak)

27. Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clustered Chaos View Post
    *large snip*
    Thank you very, very much for the compliments, Chaos. I'd just like to make a note that without an awesome group of characters around her, Aria wouldn't have made it past the first encounter. I've put a lot of work into her, but if it weren't for the party she'd be nothing.

So, you know. Give your Truenamer lots of minions.
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

28. Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Clustered Chaos View Post
    I realize I'm not a player in this game, so I'm just going to make a single remark and then however it's taken vanish back into the shadows.
    No problem at all. It is nice to have people follow and enjoy reading this game, and it is even nicer to hear their feedback.

Personally, I think Truenamers are a nice class. Of course, in highly optimized games, they will fall behind. On the other hand, skill checks are easy game for boosting, so, with a little work, Truenamers can do a lot more than what the first impression is. In our particular case, we not only have a DM who loves Truenamers (but must admit that when it comes to loving classes, is pretty poly), but more importantly, a player who loves Truenamers and works really hard to let them shine.

Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel
    So, you know. Give your Truenamer lots of minions.
    That's the wizardly attitude

29. Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

When I first found I was playing with a Truenamer I was dubious, of course I didn't say anything, rather impolite. Aria has since bought any fears to bed.

The Truenamer reputation is based solely on how poorly it scales. But if it doesn't work at 20, that doesn't mean it's broken at 8. Aria might be less effective in a smaller group, but she's a very effective sixth (wo)man.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant by Darth Raynn

30. Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ladorak View Post
    The Truenamer reputation is based solely on how poorly it scales. But if it doesn't work at 20, that doesn't mean it's broken at 8. Aria might be less effective in a smaller group, but she's a very effective sixth (wo)man.
    She's like a bard that traded the ability to sing for the ability to swat dragons out of the sky.
    LGBTitP

Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.