New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero

*May never abuse Intimidate checks and rage such that by the time the paladin shows up to stop the interrogation, the prisoners have been reduced to weeping and I'm yelling incoherently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero

*Playing a lawful evil monk with the sole goal of becoming powerful enough to beat the lawful good god to death with his bare hands is acceptable, actually reaching this goal however is not.

*In fact deicide in all its forms will no longer be entertained as a possibility.

*Goblinflesh is not a delicacy

**unless you're a half-ogre

*Being a half ogre does not give me the right to eat every humanoid the party defeats.

**Seriously thats gross.
    Resolute believer in letting my players attempt anything.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

* May no longer own, buy, borrow, lease, transport, steal, create, receive as present, requisition as equipment, or otherwise have in my possession a Hat of Disguise.
    ** Multiple hats, plural, are not exceptions to this rule.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

4. - Top - End - #544
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

*When I go first in initiative, it is considered in poor taste to immediately Time Stands Still-Cascade of Blades-Diamond Nightmare Blade the final boss of the campaign.
    **Especially if the boss is flat-footed and I deal well in excess of 4000 hit points of damage to it before anyone else in the party has a turn.
    ***Also considered in very poor taste to call the combo 'Omnislash'.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

*Even if a monk, not allowed to just jump out of an immboilastion effect.
    * Not to just randomly steal things and get into trouble because we can.
    * The horrid image of the elemental eye is not, in fact, goaste.
    *The ooze is not made of jello and is not tasty.
    * Not to poke the huge balck obelisk and expect anything good to come of it.
    * My barbarian cannot poke the obelisk again immediately after the encounter is over in an attempt to get more daemons to fight.
    *throwing antiseptic at the sludge deacon will not do anything.
    *I am to avoid Mario-stomping on everything I find.
    *even if it’s funny.
    * Not to Interupect in the epic speech between our dwarf fighter and the BBEG with “Oh now he didn’t!” and “ Oh snap!”
    *I the G.M runs out of lines for the BBEG, you cannot respond in-character with “You’re incoherent!”
    *If this fighter is doing more damage than I am AND STILL talking enough hits to drop an elephant, I need to work on my optimisation.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tamer Leon View Post
    *When I go first in initiative, it is considered in poor taste to immediately Time Stands Still-Cascade of Blades-Diamond Nightmare Blade the final boss of the campaign.
    **Especially if the boss is flat-footed and I deal well in excess of 4000 hit points of damage to it before anyone else in the party has a turn.
    ***Also considered in very poor taste to call the combo 'Omnislash'.
    ...How did you make two full-round actions and a standard action in the same turn? I suppose a gestalt Warblade//Factotum with a Belt of Battle could do it, but if the first part of that is the case then your DM had it coming.
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2012-05-05 at 12:36 AM.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #547

Devil

In pathfinder, there's an AoE spell that opens a pit beneath the enemies, causing 10d6 falling damage plus 2d6 acid, and an additional 2d6 acid for every round the targets remain within the pit. Reflex to jump to the edge of the pit and avoid the fall, chance to fall in if you end your turn on the edge.

* No longer allowed to open combat by invisibility-acid-pitting the entire enemy force.

BBEG climbs out of the acidy pit. Another spell allows the same caster to effectively bull-rush (with good bonus) the target two squares.

* No longer allowed to combo these two spells more than twice per encounter.

BBEG levitates out of the pit and is floating above it, so he cannot be bull-rushed back into the DISPEL MAGIC OMG THE HUMANITY!

* No longer allowed to have a final boss fight that consists almost entirely of the party knocking the BBEG back into the acidy pit of death for 12d6 damage every time he escapes.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reltzik View Post
    In pathfinder, there's an AoE spell that opens a pit beneath the enemies, causing 10d6 falling damage plus 2d6 acid, and an additional 2d6 acid for every round the targets remain within the pit. Reflex to jump to the edge of the pit and avoid the fall, chance to fall in if you end your turn on the edge.

* No longer allowed to open combat by invisibility-acid-pitting the entire enemy force.

BBEG climbs out of the acidy pit. Another spell allows the same caster to effectively bull-rush (with good bonus) the target two squares.

* No longer allowed to combo these two spells more than twice per encounter.

BBEG levitates out of the pit and is floating above it, so he cannot be bull-rushed back into the DISPEL MAGIC OMG THE HUMANITY!

* No longer allowed to have a final boss fight that consists almost entirely of the party knocking the BBEG back into the acidy pit of death for 12d6 damage every time he escapes.
    Tell your D.M to maybe make the villain a daemon next time: They can teleport, and are immume to acid.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

*Despite a crossbow bolt costing less than one gold piece, I cannot use eschew materials in conjunction with Launch Bolt
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

10. - Top - End - #550

-may not use perform (comedy) in place of a heal check, even if my character is a gnomish Patch Adams.
    -some uses of perform (comedy) will cause taint.
    -perform (comedy) is now banned.

11. - Top - End - #551

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    *Even if a monk, not allowed to just jump out of an immboilastion effect.
    * Not to just randomly steal things and get into trouble because we can.
    * The horrid image of the elemental eye is not, in fact, goaste.
    *The ooze is not made of jello and is not tasty.
    * Not to poke the huge balck obelisk and expect anything good to come of it.
    * My barbarian cannot poke the obelisk again immediately after the encounter is over in an attempt to get more daemons to fight.
    *I am to avoid Mario-stomping on everything I find.
    *even if it’s funny.
    * Not to Interupect in the epic speech between our dwarf fighter and the BBEG with “Oh now he didn’t!” and “ Oh snap!”
    *I the G.M runs out of lines for the BBEG, you cannot respond in-character with “You’re incoherent!”
    *If this fighter is doing more damage than I am AND STILL talking enough hits to drop an elephant, I need to work on my optimisation.
    The temple of the elder elemental eye? I'm running that, wait till you get to the tripppy dream sequence inside the obelisk.

*No my crossbow string doesn't count as a stringed instrument
    *Similarly my music cannot be "The screams of my enemies"
    *Just because my bard has perform: percussion does not mean i can get out of buying an instrument by drumming my feet
    *Just because i use tumble a lot that doesn't make it interpretive dance.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

* No, you may not roleplay an air elemental trapped inside an Orien lightning train.
    ** Really, the name "Thomas" should have been a warning sign.

* I don't care what your character sheet says, you can not get into space just by jumping as hard as you can.
    ** Flapping your arms really hard is right out.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

* If a deity's role in the plot of a pre-fab module contains an egregious case of Fridge Logic implying that s/he is either an idiot or not nearly as Good as the sourcebook says s/he is, I am not to call said deity out on this in-character.
    ** If the deity in question inflicts some horrible punishment upon me for my remarks, I may not point out that doing so proves my point.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

There is no clause in any rulebook that states that an eternal wand of knock whirs when used...
    ...But there is also no clause in any rulebook that states it doesn't.
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

*'Avasculate' is not 'hello' in Draconic.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    There is no clause in any rulebook that states that an eternal wand of knock whirs when used...
    ...But there is also no clause in any rulebook that states it doesn't.
    ** Unless of course I'm playing a Factotum with Leadership, in which case it most definitely does whir.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Banned

* not allowed to sell the all-important NPC into slavery
    ** it WILL bite me in the ass.

(not kidding one of my players just joked about selling the fricken god of fiends into slavery....something tells me he doesn't know the whole story yet)

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chookster View Post
    The temple of the elder elemental eye? I'm running that, wait till you get to the tripppy dream sequence inside the obelisk.

*No my crossbow string doesn't count as a stringed instrument
    *Similarly my music cannot be "The screams of my enemies"
    *Just because my bard has perform: percussion does not mean i can get out of buying an instrument by drumming my feet
    *Just because i use tumble a lot that doesn't make it interpretive dance.
    I wish. I was away for that session.

Spoiler
    Show
    P.M me spoilers?

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ogre in the Playground

*No more boots of skating combined with that endless water thingamajig.

*No more wearing live animals as hats.

*Not, my cat familiar is not an intelligent magic item, even if it is smarter than my dwarven necromancer.

*This isn't Dwarf Fortress, undead are easy to kill.

*Except liches.

*Dispel magic does not kill liches.

*The first epic level spell I make cannot be called Endless Siege Engines.
    **Or Let It Burn!
    ***OR Look What I Did!
    ****OR What Does This Scroll Do?
    GLORIOUS SOVIET SNAIL SUPERTECHNOLOGY

Comrade L.E.S.S. by The Mad Hatter!

Quote Originally Posted by Viper9090 View Post
    My weirdest nightmare has just been replaced.
    (Recaiden) He lives!
    (Firedaemon33) Ia! Ia! TechnoScrabble F'Taghn!
    My job requires I leave without warning or explanation sometimes. I should be back within a few days each time.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

*If your scheme involves undead kittens in anyway... I just won't put down what I'm going to do to your internal organs in case this ends up in the hands of small children.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    ...How did you make two full-round actions and a standard action in the same turn? I suppose a gestalt Warblade//Factotum with a Belt of Battle could do it, but if the first part of that is the case then your DM had it coming.
    In hindsight, we recently discovered that it was due to a misreading of Time Stands Still. We thought it gave you two Full Round Actions, when in fact it just gives you two Full Attacks.

So, I'm not allowed to do it anyway. We're letting it slide because we both thought it worked that way. I'll just have to be more careful with how I read things in the future.

On topic:

*Not allowed to combine the Saint template with an Archer cleric ever again.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    I assume this is a typo. I am much too amused to care.

**Not allowed to come up with the sludge ecclesiastical hierarchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, there is a god of oozes, so for all we know they might have an ecclesiarchy.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives.

"Time to throw the dice." - Mat Cauthon, Wheel of Time

"Nothing good can ever come from staying with normal people."

24. - Top - End - #564
    Banned

Goblin

* Cannot keep track of everybody we abbandoned in the face of danger
    ** Cannot bring it up at every occasion

* Animal Rights Groups won't castrate us for all those death werewolves.

* Before throwing the treasure chest I cannot open on the ground, in attempt to break it, I must be sure the floor isn't rotten.
    ** Especially if I'm on the attic.

* Cannot derail the game to talk about where they serve the best scrambled eggs.

* Cannot proclaim other player's character to be team's redshirt.

* Cannot summon the cow to drop it at the lich.

* My character cannot be dressed like Cobra Commander for no reason.

From a story one GM had told me:
    * Trying to scare somebody to get out of the safe car to where I am will get the opposite result.

* Cannot forget that, as a vampire, I have super strength and can just rip the doors open.

* It's impossible to run away from the police without exceeding the speed limit.

* Cannot slowly pass the police arresting other player, then realize I'm suppose to help him and attempt to jump at them from the bike when I'm already more than ten feet away from them.

* New Orlean has many places through which I can run away on feet. Allotments aren't one of them.

* "Retrive victim's body so nobody will find out he was killed by a vampire" doesn't mean "use it as a living shield to get so many rounds of ammuniton into it that nobody will be able to tell it was once human being".
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2012-05-07 at 06:57 PM. Reason: I meant redshirt not red****

25. - Top - End - #565

*cannot have enough stat boosting gear and effects to be able to automatically tackle the tarrasque to the ground and pin it without rolling.
    Last edited by Crazyfailure13; 2012-05-08 at 10:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #566

BardGuy

*Dunking people in necrotic ooze doesn't actually enhance them

**this goes double for dwarves and minotaurs who get ****ty about losing their fur and hair

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    seems more likely that it's due to doing something terribly wrong...
    Kungaloosh!

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chookster View Post
    *** we cannot use the jelly as a vehicle to chase the one party member who got out.
    Look ye to the Arms and Equipment Guide (A 3.0 book) and behold its description of gelanitous cube cavalry.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

* Farbond Spellblades are not attached to your wrists by a retracting chain.
    ** Dual-wielding rangers must wear a shirt at all times.
    *** Especially if your chosen epic destiny is "godslayer."

* No matter how many blades you attach to your bow, it still counts as an improvised weapon when you try to slice things with it.
    ** Setting it on fire won't work either.
    *** Neither will taking 2 longswords and making them into a bow.

30. - Top - End - #570

Devil

* When designing my characters' personality, I am no longer allowed to replace all measure of common sense with an equal measure of uncommon sense. It makes everyone's head hurt for no net gain.

** For the same reason, this rule also applies to nonsense.