New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero

lol, wow, your players need to learn to not get so attached to their characters.

* I may not, as a mid-20's college male, set my campain in a world I homebrew in extensive detail based on a popular female-targeted tv series I am a rabid fan of in order to try to attract girls to my group.
    ** Doing so in order to give myself and my heterosexual male friends and I a chance to write our own self-insert fanfiction is sad and pathetic, but allowable.
    *** Not keeping the above rated pg-13 or nicer is banned, however.
    **** Doing point 2 in a group that's already gender-mixed may be acceptable, provided I'm not just doing it in order to impress my crush.
    ***** Better yet, pretend this post doesn't exist. I am not allowed to base my campaigns on any tv show. Just to be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    lol, wow, your players need to learn to not get so attached to their characters.

* I may not, as a mid-20's college male, set my campain in a world I homebrew in extensive detail based on a popular female-targeted tv series I am a rabid fan of in order to try to attract girls to my group.
    ** Doing so in order to give myself and my heterosexual male friends and I a chance to write our own self-insert fanfiction is sad and pathetic, but allowable.
    *** Not keeping the above rated pg-13 or nicer is banned, however.
    **** Doing point 2 in a group that's already gender-mixed may be acceptable, provided I'm not just doing it in order to impress my crush.
    ***** Better yet, pretend this post doesn't exist. I am not allowed to base my campaigns on any tv show. Just to be safe.
    ****** The above goes double when said female-targed TV series is aimed at pre-teens and young teens…
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Orc in the Playground

*I may not write an RPG where the only available weapons are fireworks.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

I just started playing D&D, and love the game

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.
    STR:14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 10
    INT:13
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 16

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by newBlazingAngel View Post
    *I may not write an RPG where the only available weapons are fireworks.
    ** I am required to write an RPG where the only available weapon is fireworks.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #815
    Orc in the Playground

***In this hypothetical word, most builders would have the common sense to build non-flamable houses.

****I have to logically explain how exactly a sparkler is a dagger substitute.

*****If I create hellfire sparklers I am not to be surprised when my players invent this:
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

sorry, but no. It is MESMOWP...
    Well, my cats often say "mesmowp"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    dropping half your words in an acronym is very bad form...
    But reasonably common anyway. There is no clear rule that they are always exact initialisms.

"Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation": LASER or LABSEOR?
    "Radio detection and ranging": RADAR or RDAR?
    "Completely automated public Turing test to tell computers and humans apart": CAPTCHA or CAPTTTTCAHA?
    "Special executive for counter-intelligence, terrorism, revenge, and extortion": SPECTRE or SEFCITRAE?
    The problem with this is that (1) it's okay to drop the little words, like "and" or "by", and (2) it's also okay to use multiple letters from one word if your acronym would be unpronounceable.

So LASER, RaDAR, and SPECTRE actually follow the rules, since "counter-intelligence" is one word. CAPTTTCHA, however, does have a problem.

* I may not derail threads with technicalities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #817

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    Well, my cats often say "mesmowp"...

The problem with this is that (1) it's okay to drop the little words, like "and" or "by", and (2) it's also okay to use multiple letters from one word if your acronym would be unpronounceable.

So LASER, RaDAR, and SPECTRE actually follow the rules, since "counter-intelligence" is one word. CAPTTTCHA, however, does have a problem.

* I may not derail threads with technicalities.
    If you are counting the compound word "Counter-intelligence" as one word, then you should also count the compound words from the original MEOW as single words as well. You can't have it both ways.

** I MAY NOT derail threads with technicalities.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

8. - Top - End - #818

BlueKnightGuy

* No matter how Ironic it is, the party - after going chaotic stupid in the last town - may not run into a party of higher leveled characters murdering everything for fun...

** No justification exists for a chotic stupid paladin that will prevent its fall

*** not even that

9. - Top - End - #819
    Orc in the Playground

*If I am running a star wars D&D campaign I am required to have seen at least half the movies.

**If the characters encounter 'Bubba Feet' I have to pay for the pizza.

***If I point out how incompetent Bubba Feet os at his job, I have to pay for all the drinks.

****If the plot is centralized around JarJar binks I am required to chip in to everybody's mortgages.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

*Unless it involves killing him. Horribly.
    "I Burn!"

11. - Top - End - #821
    Orc in the Playground

*If my characters do brutally murder the entire gungan population, I am not to then introduce darths and droids to them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    If you are counting the compound word "Counter-intelligence" as one word, then you should also count the compound words from the original MEOW as single words as well. You can't have it both ways.

** I MAY NOT derail threads with technicalities.
    Technically I never made a judgment on the validity of MEOW.

*** I must whack myself in the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

* Modern science has no bearing on fantasy roleplaying.

14. - Top - End - #824

I may not ask for a quiet corner in the Temple of Pelor to cast Desecrate to boost my Animate Dead spell. They will be upset with me, even though we're ostensibly on the same side.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
    I may not ask for a quiet corner in the Temple of Pelor to cast Desecrate to boost my Animate Dead spell. They will be upset with me, even though we're ostensibly on the same side.
    ** In Aldhaven, their only problem with that would be that you're a rogue necromancer and didn't pay them their cut first.
    *** I am not allowed to present my players with concise evidence why Pelor, in every instance that doesn't explicitly state him to be good show him as a jerkass at best, ultimate evil at worst.

16. - Top - End - #826

** In Aldhaven, their only problem with that would be that you're a rogue necromancer and didn't pay them their cut first.
    *** I am not allowed to present my players with concise evidence why Pelor, in every instance that doesn't explicitly state him to be good show him as a jerkass at best, ultimate evil at worst.
    May I present Pelor, the Burning Hate?
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

17. - Top - End - #827
    Orc in the Playground

*I may not create a character with flaw "pervert" and "racist simply to create drama.

"She's amazing...but she's an elf...but her jugs are amazing...but she's a black elf...BUT BOOBIES!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Menteith, I love you.

Marry me?

19. - Top - End - #829

*If I am to fake a party member's death in front of their enemies, I must first acquire their consent.
    **This does, in fact, require me to inform them of my plan.
    ***Especially when the plan is to hold them underwater until they stop kicking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Orc in the Playground

We should have known...
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Firbolg in the Playground

As a DM:

*If you call for an unnecessary spot check to heighten tensions, you can expect that a natural 20 will be rolled.
    **Thou shalt have a good poker face when the PCs interpret the subsequent "You don't see anything" as "Egads, something invisible, kill it with all your high level spells."
    ***Be consistent. Thus, you can now expect your PCs to cast Glitterdust on a torch to make a gout of flame at least once per session.

(Yay for the most recent gaming session!)
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    As a DM:

*If you call for an unnecessary spot check to heighten tensions, you can expect that a natural 20 will be rolled.
    **Thou shalt have a good poker face when the PCs interpret the subsequent "You don't see anything" as "Egads, something invisible, kill it with all your high level spells."
    ***Be consistent. Thus, you can now expect your PCs to cast Glitterdust on a torch to make a gout of flame at least once per session.

(Yay for the most recent gaming session!)
    Ah, the number of times such things have happened to my poor DM'ing self...

****If we roll opposed rolls for Spot and Hide, and I roll a 2 while the player rolls a 20 and the player still fails, I am legally allowed to be shot.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-07-06 at 01:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Ah, the number of times such things have happened to my poor DM'ing self...

****If we roll opposed rolls for Spot and Hide, and I roll a 2 while the player rolls a 20 and the player still fails, I am legally allowed to be shot.
    * If the player is in the Aldhaven docks district at night, their subsequent death to knives in the dark is 100% justified.

@V We did warn everyone in Aldhaven to stay out of the Docks at night. If you ever read the obituaries post, we point out explicitly those who died in the docks... at night...
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-07-06 at 06:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

Similarly, if I am told, "stay out of (insert place here)" and the first thing I do is go there, I will be rolling a new character. Preferably with a higher Wisdom score.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Firbolg in the Playground

*In Star Wars games, I am not to confuse my party members by creating a Sith with more ethics than their Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #836

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    *In Star Wars games, I am not to confuse my party members by creating a Sith with more ethics than their Jedi.
    ** The sith thats has been hunting the party may not be doing so out of concern for the people and to stop these super-powered marauders before they destroy a planet. it's just wierd*

* gotta love the fact that the difference bwteen light/dark side is the emotions/attitudes they draw power from, not what they do with it...
    Last edited by BlackestOfMages; 2012-07-06 at 03:34 PM.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Orc in the Playground

*If my characters first action is to attempt to find a brothel, I am to expect it to be below my characters standards and above his price range.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

28. - Top - End - #838

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by newBlazingAngel View Post
    *If my characters first action is to attempt to find a brothel, I am to expect it to be below my characters standards and above his price range.
    ** Unless the DM is feeling very, very cruel - whereas the brothel is cheap, high class, filled with lovely men and ladies of all species and specifications...which will all turn out to be level draining succubi.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Orc in the Playground

Oh God...I'm glad my DM didn't come up with that.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

If my character's main motivation is to find the people who massacred his village, his first action upon finding those people should not be to congratulate them heartily and sincerely.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew