New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero

*My Warforged, when presented with a choice, will not say "Reaching a consensus..."
    *I may not name my characters words in Draconic that may be easily mispronounced
    **If I do, and the party refers to my eidolon as "Cakes" instead of "Caex" I should try to stop them before he develops confidence issues.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    *** It totally rules the feel when the department chair walks in on my horrible caricature of him, and then does it better than me.
    Perhaps you meant "ruins", but I like it better this way anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

* I may not base my campaign on Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    ** The same goes for The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul
    *** Ditto for any of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books
    **** This goes doubly so for any Discworld stories
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Orc in the Playground

*Can't dig a tunnel through a solid rock door with Mountain Hammer and a longsword
    **or any other weapon for that matter.
    ***especially if the room next door contains lava
    Homebrew:
    The inFAMOUS Conduit base class. Wow I actually finished it...
    The Darksiders base class, based on the videogame with the same name.

I also draw some stuff here, Gamespectre on Deviantart

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    *I may not name my characters words in Draconic that may be easily mispronounced
    **If I do, and the party refers to my eidolon as "Cakes" instead of "Caex" I should try to stop them before he develops confidence issues.
    ***I may not name my character words in Draconic that when put together become a sexual innuendo.
    ****If I do, my character will just have to deal with the FURTHER confidence issues that might arise when his name is mispronounced.
    Last edited by BootStrapTommy; 2012-09-26 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    Kill a PC's father? Well that's just the cost of doing business.
    Steal a PC's boots? Now it's personal.
    Please take everything I say with a grain of salt. Unless we're arguing about alignment. In which case, you're wrong.

Former EMPIRE2! Player: Imperator of the Nihoni Dominion
    Former EMPIRE3! Player: Suzerain of the Phœnīx Estates
    Former EMPIRE4! Player: Margrave of the Margraviate of Rhune
    My Awesome Campaign Setting

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    *Can't dig a tunnel through a solid rock door with Mountain Hammer and a longsword
    ****If i want to remove walls, i will ask the drow paladin to stick her head through the wall and check first, then remove the wall.

*I will not police my party as a paladin
    **I will not enforce said policing by planting their heads in the solid rock floor
    ***I will not completely destroy the BBEG by attacking through solid rock
    ****I am no longer allowed to take underdark Knight and Mystic Fire Knight
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVG View Post
    **** Specially while singing "Dig dig a hole".

* The less references to other games, the better.
    ** My summoners can't say "I summon a <creature> in attack mode" or "Shocking Lizard, I choose you."
    *** Can't say "erecting a dispenser" or similar when building anything with my Artificer or other builder classes.
    **** Kamehameha, hadoken, or any similiar with any character that can shoot fireballs, lightining bolts, Eldritch Blasts, or similar, is a free sign for everyone to kill my character. Summarily.
    ***** Any LotR reference is fair play, though.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick_BR View Post
    **** Specially while singing "Dig dig a hole".
    *****Dig a tunnel is right out.
    ******So is Hi Ho.
    *******No more Disney songs.
    "I Burn!"

9. - Top - End - #1359

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    *****Dig a tunnel is right out.
    ******So is Hi Ho.
    *******No more Disney songs.
    ********Chanting "Diglett dig, Diglett dig" will cost me teeth.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasharanpaladin View Post
    ********Chanting "Diglett dig, Diglett dig" will cost me teeth.
    *********However it will cause permanent sanity damage to all in hearing range, regardless of if the system has sanity rules or not.

*May not run a planescape campaign in The Mad City
    **Or a Don't Rest Your Head campaign in Sigil
    ***Mixing systems and settings is generally frowned upon
    ****Doing so just to mess with players will have the nearest and largest source books put into aerial trajectories towards my head.

11. - Top - End - #1361

*unlike in dark souls where it could be a joyous life saving moment, in any cooperative tabletop game I should not shout at the top of my lungs "OH YEA! GET CRIT SON!"
    ** this is doubly so when I'm DMing

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Troll in the Playground

*********Diggy diggy hole

**********I dig my hole

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    ****If i want to remove walls, i will ask the drow paladin to stick her head through the wall and check first, then remove the wall.
    What?
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    What?
    Underdark Knight grants Earthglide. Thus, a paladin can crudely scout without trace at lvl 12+
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

*at times it is acceptable to insert caracatures of real people into a D&D campaign
    *During our down time it is acceptable for me to run a D&D campaign with the other cadets
    **If any characters are based on the folowing bad things (read as infinite numbers of push ups) will happen to me
    -My Drill Sergeant
    -The Colonel
    -The Quartermaster Sergeant
    -The Cadet Command
    -Any Current Pollitical Figure

*I may not reference the fact that Master Sergeant is... OH GOD HE'S RIGHT BEHINNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnnnnn........................ ...........

<connection lost>
    Warning!! This poster makes frequent use of Sarcasm, Jokes, and Exaggeration. He intends no offense.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

*May not dominate the quest giver to pay us before we do the quest.
    **May not dominate the monster to give us it's xp
    ***Talking the monster out of fighting us will not work, and if it did it doesn't count as defeating it in combat.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PaperMustache View Post
    ...***Talking the monster out of fighting us will not work, and if it did it doesn't count as defeating it in combat.
    Actually, in most games I have been in, that would have counted -- win through roleplay is just as good of a win as combat, though usually results in less loot. Sometimes.

*Opening spell of polymorph other is frowned upon.
    **Doubly so when the target cannot make saving throw to maintain current identity.
    ***Especially when it is a Troll to butterfly morph.
    ****Cannot then allow anyone to take up entomology as a new hobby.

*Chain lightning in an enclosed space is a Bad Idea.
    **Doubly so when more than half the party wears metal armor.
    ***Cannot complain when both full plate wearing paladin and cleric won't heal you later in the round.

*When fighting vampires, tag teaming bless water and create water elemental using the same water source will result in DM face-palms and higher than normal grapple checks.
    **When succeeding in those checks, it is poor form to gloat.
    ***Especially to the boss who sired them.

Failure to comply with these guidelines gets you what you apparently asked for...
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ogre in the Playground

*Batman is an acceptable place to start for a character concept. Bat-Mite, on the other hand, is not.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Actually, in most games I have been in, that would have counted -- win through roleplay is just as good of a win as combat, though usually results in less loot. Sometimes.
    Is there any precedent for this? Because that's what I thought too but the DM didn't think it made sense so I dropped it. We play pathfinder.
    Last edited by PaperMustache; 2012-09-27 at 02:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1369

SwashbucklerGuy

Is there any precedent for this? Because that's what I thought too but the DM didn't think it made sense so I dropped it. We play pathfinder.
    Pretty sure 3.5 DMG covers that, not sure if Pathfinder does tho...
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

*Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Dwarf in the Playground

This type of confrontation was a standard in all our games [AD&D, 3.0, and 3.5; Star Wars (both old d10 and new d20); and Vampire the Masquerade]. I have not played Pathfinder, but I would think that victory is victory no matter how you slice it. And not getting bashed in is a victory. While we might not get the loot we might have had if we had just gone in magic missiles blazing, we usually ended up with an information resource if not a outright ally. Frankly, this was typically worth a lot more than gold or magic items, but that was how we did our games. (Mileage may very.)

It probably depends on how your GM wants to run the game, but I would find it rather odd if talking my way out of a fight didn't count as a victory. (Of course, we always had skills (or equivalent) that we could base a character personality that was likely to be able to try that.) *shrug* If it bugs you it might be a good idea to talk it over with your GM a bit more to find out what [her] rational is, but it is [his] game and in the end, you will know better next time in either case.

I wish you luck in figuring it out!
    Last edited by Kalrany; 2012-09-27 at 03:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Ogre in the Playground

*High fives are in order when someone scores a critical hit.
    **A contingent major image that makes fireworks go off accompanied by theme music, a sound effect, and someone yelling "critical hit!" is a bit too much.

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    I'm 95% sure this is true. I even think I remember there being an example involving a minotaur.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

I've read 3.5 Modules and Pathfinder Adventure Paths, and both award full exp for resolving conflicts peacefully.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

24. - Top - End - #1374

SwashbucklerGuy

* When I say I'm going to nerf the dungeon, I can't just replace all the 50' pitfall traps with 10' pitfall traps that have gelatinous cubes at the bottom.

*It does.*

What.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

* When I say I'm going to nerf the dungeon, I can't just replace all the 50' pitfall traps with 10' pitfall traps that have gelatinous cubes at the bottom.
    ** 10' pitfalls with acidic nerf ball look-alikes are right out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Troll in the Playground

*** Keeping the 50' pitfalls but putting large trampolines at the bottom is rather borderline.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    *Cannot create a character who's life goal is to "eat their way through the Monster Manual"
    **Even if said character does max out their ranks in Profession (cook)
    *The material components for the summon monster spells do not include pokeballs.
    I'm doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    ***I may not name my character words in Draconic that when put together become a sexual innuendo.
    ****If I do, my character will just have to deal with the FURTHER confidence issues that might arise when his name is mispronounced.
    *My dwarf cleric's name is not Bud the Wiser
    **My halfling rogue's name is not Bud the Light
    ***My elf wizard's name is not Pierre the Wine Snob
    Many thanks to Ceika for my Avatar

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Titan in the Playground

* When my wizard's clever plan to assault the bandit camp in any way involves fire, I may not be annoyed when the currently-in-a-strategic-hiding-spot PC steals my thunder by thinking of the same thing and going first.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    * When my wizard's clever plan to assault the bandit camp in any way involves fire, I may not be annoyed when the currently-in-a-strategic-hiding-spot PC steals my thunder by thinking of the same thing and going first.
    **All of my clever plans as a wizard now involve chainlightning

Drow avatar @ myself

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    **All of my clever plans as a wizard now involve chainlightning
    ***When my plans involve chain lightning, I may not hit the Full Plate wearing Paladin with it, explaining that his armor acts like a Faraday Cage, leaving him unharmed but the outside of his armor charged so he can shock the next person he touches.
    ****If this happens in the final moments of the battle and he kills me with his congratulatory high five, I am not to complain because my plan worked perfectly.
    *You know what DM? I think I'll take your advice and leave the physics out of D&D.