New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1502
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Flemkopf View Post
    his armor acts like a Faraday Cage.
    just a quick note: Full plate in PnP does not have Quilted/Padded armor under it
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing III: I May Not Iron Heart Surge Rule Zero

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    just a quick note: Full plate in PnP does not have Quilted/Padded armor under it
    Er, how would you know, and why would you suppose this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Bugbear in the Playground

From Player's Handbook, 3.5

This armor consists of shaped and fitted metal plates [...] includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet and a thick layer of padding that is worn beneath the armor.

Emphasis added. Real life metal armors included underarmor as well-it prevented chafing, burning and other such maladies that would have resulted otherwise.
    Games I'm in:

Spoiler
    Show
    Askaretha's Ascension as Vaishirth

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Troll in the Playground

As someone who has fought in plate armor, I can tell you that I would rather wear no plate armor at all than unpadded plate armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Er, how would you know, and why would you suppose this?
    it doesnt actually account for the weight in the PhP despite the fact it describes it being there. there also is a distinct lack of rules for putting the quilted armor on without putting on the full plate

Realistically, ya, you would never want to wear full plate without padding, although you could perhaps get away without anything under a very well made breastplate
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-09-28 at 10:32 PM.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

it doesnt actually account for the weight in the PhP despite the fact it describes it being there. there also is a distinct lack of rules for putting the quilted armor on without putting on the full plate
    Fairly sure that the padding, while thick and sturdy, is not technically made for standalone armor, so it would be a really weird cornercase to allow someone to partially don armor and get almost the benefits of padded armor. I.e., it's an acceptable break from full simulation.

As far as the weight goes, I'm given to understand that 50lbs is not an unreasonable figure for the entire suit: padding, plates, accessories, and all; rapidly comparing it with 10lb for regular padded armor doesn't show any very obvious discrepancy, either.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Most functional plate armor isn't as thick as you would think it would need to be; somewhere between ~20 gauge (0.0359 inches) and ~10 gauge (0.1345 inches). The thickest parts of armor were of course the Cuiress (torso) and helm. The thicknesses are approximations based on my knowledge of metals and physics as I have sadly never had the chance to get a close look at real combat armor.

TAX:

*I may not have a crusader cohort that is a better paladin than the PC paladin
    **I may not use leadership to start a trading empire
    *** Nor may I use it to start cult that worships my PC so she may ascend
    ****NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE LEADERSHIP EVER!!!!
    *****NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE ANY COHORT FEAT!!!(Wild Cohort, Dragon Cohort, etc.)
    (And i haven't even done these yet )
    Last edited by saxavarius; 2012-09-28 at 11:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Troll in the Playground

As far as the weight goes, I'm given to understand that 50lbs is not an unreasonable figure for the entire suit: padding, plates, accessories, and all; rapidly comparing it with 10lb for regular padded armor doesn't show any very obvious discrepancy, either.
    60 Lbs is the average for period armor with the padding, DnD full plate is made for people who are typically even larger, as well as only weighing 50 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by saxavarius View Post
    Just a quick point: Crusaders only make better "Paladins" when you are taking the default fluff stance for paladin. Paladin Mechanics better support them as doctors or as mage slayers.
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-09-28 at 11:23 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by saxavarius View Post
    **I may not use leadership to start a trading empire
    ***If I do start a trading empire I am to trade things such as commodities and spices, not humanoid organs.
    ****Starting a drug trafficking ring is right out.
    *****Because the party contains a paladin and a cleric of pelor, that's why.
    Many thanks to Ceika for my Avatar

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdance View Post
    cleric of pelor
    you do know Pelor is CE, Right?

Drow avatar @ myself

11. - Top - End - #1391

That is definitely not true. He's the Neutral Good god of the Sun, Light, Strength, and Healing. He was originally in Greyhawk but he carried through all the way to 3.5 where Jozan the Cleric worships him. I don't know if he exists in 4e.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

That is definitely not true. He's the Neutral Good god of the Sun, Light, Strength, and Healing. He was originally in Greyhawk but he carried through all the way to 3.5 where Jozan the Cleric worships him. I don't know if he exists in 4e.
    Toapat was referencing Pelor the Burning Hate. Google it.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

13. - Top - End - #1393

Oh my. I'd never seen that before. Alas, twas I that hath not done mine homework. My apologies, Toapat, I remove my hat to you.
    Last edited by Riverdance; 2012-09-28 at 11:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Oh my. I'd never seen that before. Alas, twas I that hath not done mine homework. My apologies, Toapat, I remove my hat to you.
    * I may not insist in-character that Pelor is any variety of Evil.
    ** Especially not if I am capable of out-arguing/debating the Cleric/Paladin of Pelor on that point.
    *** When I suddenly become a valid target for Smiting after doing the above, I am not to cite that as further evidence.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Titan in the Playground

Even The Burning Hate is not CE; NE is the usual assumption.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    * I may not insist in-character that Pelor is any variety of Evil.
    ** Especially not if I am capable of out-arguing/debating the Cleric/Paladin of Pelor on that point.
    *** When I suddenly become a valid target for Smiting after doing the above, I am not to cite that as further evidence.
    ****If i am Arguing that Pelor is Evil, i better damn well be evil before i start doing so. Otherwise the paladin of Slaughter 10/Blackguard 10 is going to rip me in half with his completely overpowered class interaction glitch
    *****I am not to abuse a data leak in blackguard that makes a pseudo-lvl 21 paladin at lvl 11

Even The Burning Hate is not CE; NE is the usual assumption.
    4th post in the topic, they posted the original statblock for pelor (which even in lore is more accurate then the one in Deities and Demigods)
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-09-29 at 08:54 AM.

Drow avatar @ myself

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

4th post in the topic, they posted the original statblock for pelor (which even in lore is more accurate then the one in Deities and Demigods)
    Yeah, I'm aware of the thread, but that post (which is no more official than anything else, that I know of) disagrees with the OP on its chosen alignment, which is why I said usually NE.

Anyway, back on track.

* I may not allow arguments on whether Pelor is NE or CE to stall the game session.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ettin in the Playground

*The DM (not the sourcebooks; not some random people on the internet) says what alignment all npcs are. This includes gods. No arguing.
    **He also decides what the alignment of each PC is, based on how they act. Still no arguing.
    ***If I am the dm, I am required to allow more than 9 character personalities.
    ****18 isn't enough either
    *****If it is a finite number, it's not enough.
    ******We are no longer using alignment. At all.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There's a lot of things I'm not allowed to do now, but most of them are covered by the list already... Hope the following are exceptions.

* May not play a level 1 expert with a +22 diplomacy check
    ** Or wizard.

* May not take flaws at all.

* None of my skills may be more than +8 at level 1.
    ** Nor initiative.

* May not buy a candle of invocation.
    ** Or wish for it.
    *** Even if it's within my WBL.
    **** Ditto for scrolls of gate.
    ***** No wondrous items without specific approval.

* May not use any of the calling or polymorph spells.
    ** Or images.
    *** Or wish. No matter how I get it.
    **** Or any spell considered "cheese" anywhere.
    ***** Especially if my character is not a spellcaster.

* May not outclass the party meatshield with a trained hireling.

Edit: @^: May not lecture other players on the benefits of TN alignment as opposed to the others.
    ** Or any other optimization.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2012-09-29 at 03:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1400

* I may not allow arguments on whether Pelor is NE or CE to stall the game session.

** I may never mention Pelor or his alignment in this thread ever again.

*The halfling will not die if I sit on him.
    **If he performs a devastating sneak attack from beneath me I am not to complain.
    ***I am not to assume that all halflings are rogues, they find it offensive.
    ****No, not even if it happens to be true in this case.
    **If the Barbarian sits on him he will die.
    Last edited by Riverdance; 2012-09-29 at 04:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Troll in the Playground

** I may never mention Pelor or his alignment in this thread ever again.
    ***Pelor is banned from all campaigns unless the group agrees on his alignment
    ****Groups will never agree on his alignment
    *****Pelor has been replaced by Sunny, God of Sunshine, love, and Rainbows. He is a NG god of sun and vagueness

Drow avatar @ myself

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ogre in the Playground

I may no longer have characters that take Improved Combat Expertise, and have better to hit and damage than the party's Big Stupid Fighter while at full combat expertise.

Especially as a monk.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-09-29 at 04:51 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1403

*****Pelor has been replaced by Sunny, God of Sunshine, love, and Rainbows. He is a NG god of sun and vagueness
    Not to go off-topic but this flew over my head... Why is the alignment of Pelor up for debate? I just need a quick reference to get the joke...
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesà!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

24. - Top - End - #1404

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmageddon View Post
    Not to go off-topic but this flew over my head... Why is the alignment of Pelor up for debate? I just need a quick reference to get the joke...
    Because this:

***If I do start a trading empire I am to trade things such as commodities and spices, not humanoid organs.
    ****Starting a drug trafficking ring is right out.
    *****Because the party contains a paladin and a cleric of pelor, that's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

25. - Top - End - #1405

Oh my... Now I'm convinced he's evil... o_o
    Avatar made by Strawberries! Grazie paesà!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    You win the worst GM thread BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyva View Post
    From a different thread, even!.

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmageddon View Post
    Oh my... Now I'm convinced he's evil... o_o
    **Will not agree on what measure of evil is Pelor, and thus pelor will remain banned

Drow avatar @ myself

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Orc in the Playground

******Will not start arguments over whether Sunny is also the god of lollipops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ideasmith View Post
    ******Will not start arguments over whether Sunny is also the god of lollipops.
    *******He is

Drow avatar @ myself

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Troll in the Playground

*******He is
    ********Actually, it's Sunny the Hateful Burn that's the god of lollipops
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    ********Actually, it's Sunny the Hateful Burn that's the god of lollipops
    Party Rogue trying to be clever: "What's a lollipop?"