New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default So this is what Angela will look like

I am sorry, but I just don't see her fit into the Marvel Universe.

Interview and concept picture in the link.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: So this is what Angela will look like

Might work especially if they update the body armour instead of going the less armour the more protection they have route.

Hmm maybe start off saying she might be deranged as she'd forced within a human host as part of some unknown quest to redeem herself ala the original Thor comic.

Maybe she doesn't know what happened and we see her some years later trying to discover her place becoming a mercenary because of her inherent skills and research into her past.

How would you handle her?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    How would you handle her?
    My point is that she doesn't fit in the Marvel Universe. For starters, she is a "Bounty hunter for God" (As in that dude, upstairs), who doesn't exist in the Marvel univese (at least not with that name and is never involved with anything directly). It's not like Thor, who is just one of hundred of "lesser gods / sufficiently advanced aliens" that the Marvel universe is full of.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2013-05-09 at 03:15 PM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm I see she still has Youngbloods Disease. Will portions of her sales go to finding a cure?

Before this become that thread again I'd just point out I really have no interest in someone with as boring and uninteresting a face. Or what little there is actually is of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    who doesn't exist in the Marvel univese
    Sure He does. The Fantastic Four went to get thing back once that way.

He looks like Jack Kirby btw.
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-05-09 at 03:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    Sure He does. The Fantastic Four went to get thing back once that way.

He looks like Jack Kirby btw.
    He still isn't named "God", he is The-One-Above-All...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

What's in a name?
    If there is a supreme being, might as well call it god. It's not like Marvel have come out and said any of the real world Abrahamic religions are the right one in-universe, or which specific flavor of them, in that case.

Or have they? I don't really read Marvel so I could have missed it if they did.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    What's in a name?
    If there is a supreme being, might as well call it god. It's not like Marvel have come out and said any of the real world Abrahamic religions are the right one in-universe, or which specific flavor of them, in that case.

Or have they? I don't really read Marvel so I could have missed it if they did.
    The point is that according to her original mythology, she is a servant of the Christian God, specifically. Of course they can rework that, but I still have a hard time seeing her fit in.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    He still isn't named "God", he is The-One-Above-All...
    nope, he was God. One-Above-All is being who might be the same guy, but it wasn't ever stated.

More o nthat, God had played a part in Jason Aaron's ghost Rider, Johnny has even been offeed a chance to meet him in person, btu refused.
    Speaking of which - there are Angels in marvel Universe, several enemies of both Ghost Rider and Daimon Hellstorm were Angels. Latter's last big enemy was Adam, as in, this Adam, fro mthe Genesis.

As for the cotume - you know you had horrible design when this thing is an improvement.
    Last edited by Man on Fire; 2013-05-09 at 04:58 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I agree to an extent, she worked really well as a parallel for Spawn. It would like be putting Venom into DC comics and making him a villain for Batman, that's a strange context to wrap your head around but it might work once you get used to it.

On the hand, it makes Gaiman happy, so I'm happy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I've yet to encounter a fictional universe that utilizes the idea of a Supreme Single Omnipotence that doesn't assume its the one behind any and all mortal organizations that utilize anything even remotely like that idea. You have to get much more specific in your theology to cause problems. Starting with using the J-word.

This is so easily softballed. Heck the Distinguished Competition did it for years and it worked just fine. There was an angel on the Justice League, then there's the Spectre the Angel of Vengance, and Presence was also the Source and so on.

Seriously a real "theological" problem for comics would be more like if Angela worked for Hercules or Thor. Posing a direct conflict between characters handled very specifically in Marvel.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't forget that Marvel has brought forth other clearly biblical characters...after all, Son of Satan had a dad...

Which reminds me...boy, I did like the Defenders once upon a time. Angela seems like a better fit than Valkyrie, but she's got history.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, well. As I said, I don't read Marvel. Or much DC for that matter. Vertigo-verse is pretty obviously God-Satan-Devil-Jesus oriented.
    It's just that in Hellblazer at least, the side of angels isn't really any more appealing than the side of the Devil. They're pretty much all bastards.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Goblin

Ah, well. As I said, I don't read Marvel. Or much DC for that matter. Vertigo-verse is pretty obviously God-Satan-Devil-Jesus oriented.
    It's just that in Hellblazer at least, the side of angels isn't really any more appealing than the side of the Devil. They're pretty much all bastards.
    There was Christian stuff in main DCU too - Spectre after all is spirit of vengeance, serving God, he once meet Spirit of Forgivness, and Church of Violence worships biblical Cain, who turned out to be Vandal Savage.

Speaking of which - Ghost Rider is function granted by Christian God too.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Was she really a bounty hunter in Spawn's universe? I just thought she was flying around killing evil.

I find that they are bringing her back a shame. I liked her, and her story arc. Half the reason I stopped reading Spawn was because she died. It's not that it killed my like for the comic. I just liked how they handled that arc.

It seems kind of lame that they are reviving her again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Which is not a small part of why Vertigo got exiled from the DCU.

Also something of a mixed bag depending on when, in Sandman it was pretty clear though in a roundabout way. While the ostensible spinoff Lucifer was... iffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    Was she really a bounty hunter in Spawn's universe? I just thought she was flying around killing evil.

I find that they are bringing her back a shame. I liked her, and her story arc. Half the reason I stopped reading Spawn was because she died. It's not that it killed my like for the comic. I just liked how they handled that arc.

It seems kind of lame that they are reviving her again.
    That sounds pretty bounty hunter esque to me from a fictional standpoint.

For the rest well there is the theory this is all some kind of giant legal pretext for introducing Marvelman to Marvel....

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I am decidedly underwhelmed. This is a character who should have stayed in the 90's. If she's just going to be the type of "angel" from Darksiders then there really is zero point. I think the idea of badass rebellious angels who dress immodestly and can take-or-leave God, is passe.

17. - Top - End - #17

I mean, it's Marvel. Thor hangs out with a surprisingly prescient parody of John McAfee. Sugar Man is ostensibly a threatening villain, not the host of Adult Swim's first cooking show. How bad can Angela be?
    Former Ghosts?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh* Is it literally impossible to make a female character whose outfit couldn't do double duty for a eccedentesiast?
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2013-05-10 at 12:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I agree to an extent, she worked really well as a parallel for Spawn. It would like be putting Venom into DC comics and making him a villain for Batman, that's a strange context to wrap your head around but it might work once you get used to it.
    Indeed. Her "Job" is to be the romantic interest / foil for Spawn. Like Catwoman, but on a vastly bigger power scale. She is also dead.

And yes, she was a bounty hunter, or rather just a hunter. I think that is how she was introduced; she sees demons and sinners as just another big game to hunt down, in her introduction she is on a safari on an ice planet to hunt and kill a member of a dragon species that is almost extinct (and is not intelligent, but an animal) only becase she has never killed one and she wants it's head on her wall.

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    I am decidedly underwhelmed. This is a character who should have stayed in the 90's. If she's just going to be the type of "angel" from Darksiders then there really is zero point. I think the idea of badass rebellious angels who dress immodestly and can take-or-leave God, is passe.
    There are a lot of things that should have stayed in the 90ies...

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I've yet to encounter a fictional universe that utilizes the idea of a Supreme Single Omnipotence that doesn't assume its the one behind any and all mortal organizations that utilize anything even remotely like that idea. You have to get much more specific in your theology to cause problems. Starting with using the J-word.
    Which is almost exacly what Todd did, back in the day. The God in Spawn is the Christian God, no doubt about it. There is also another difference of course, and that is that in Spawn's cosmology there really were no other gods, which makes the implications stronger.

As for DC, I remember when Chronos killed off the Greek Pantheon, half the Hindu Pantheon and then invaded the Christian heaven and killed angels left and right (including many named ones from the Bible) so that he could conquer the "God Source" or whatever it is called in the DC universe. The one thing that gives all gods their powers. It took a combined force of the Hindu gods, the Greek gods (both saved by Wonder Woman and some Indian mythological hero) and the arch-angels of Heaven to kill him. It was actually one of my favorite WW stories, but I have always liked Indian culture...

Oh and there was also that time when Superman Blue together with Justice League defended Earth against a fallen arch-angel that aspired to be the new / next Satan and his host of traitor angels.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2013-05-10 at 01:46 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *sigh* Is it literally impossible to make a female character whose outfit couldn't do double duty for a eccedentesiast?
    Um, well, unless the outfit includes a mask that covers her mouth, yeah. I don't think that word means what you think it means.
    Former Ghosts?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So... she's an angellic bountyhunter specifically assigned to hunt down the truly unredeemable evils such as her opposing numbers?

Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal she's from a culture similar to New Genesis and Apokolips and was supposed to represent that view of higher powers like the New Gods and Darkseid are supposed to be?

That way she can go rogue and be what you described... albeit that would make Spawn her opposite number in both nature and inclination!

Still a new wardrobe especially a functional one seems to be in order there's a reason why that look should have never left the 90's...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

I think you mean ecdysiast And yes, the outfit is bloody ridiculous and should be taken out back and shot.
    Truth resists simplicity.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There's a big word for... that. And it highly resembles a religious word, too.
    Huh I learned something new.
    This must mean all angels must dress this way! I can totally alliterate the words!

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    I think you mean ecdysiast And yes, the outfit is bloody ridiculous and should be taken out back and shot.
    I did not expect anyone to know the correct word. I guess it's the internet and there are bajillions of people and easily accessible dictionaries, but I still didn't expect it so soon. Nice.
    Former Ghosts?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VeisuItaTyhjyys View Post
    I did not expect anyone to know the correct word. I guess it's the internet and there are bajillions of people and easily accessible dictionaries, but I still didn't expect it so soon. Nice.
    Not that there's anything wrong with being one. But as a fighting outfit...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Ah, that's the word. Thank you.
    I think a flame thrower, followed by an exorcism and perhaps a good staking would also be of use in . . . retiring that outfit.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Ah, that's the word. Thank you.
    I think a flame thrower, followed by an exorcism and perhaps a good staking would also be of use in . . . retiring that outfit.
    Hopefully with the character still in it.

Why is Neil Gaiman so attached to this character that he is willing to lawsuit over her, and then parade her around like it's an awesome thing that he won custody? I thought NG is like, a good writer?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Hopefully with the character still in it.

Why is Neil Gaiman so attached to this character that he is willing to lawsuit over her, and then parade her around like it's an awesome thing that he won custody? I thought NG is like, a good writer?
    She's not a terribly written character, particularly in comparison to early Image attempts. Sure, she looks like something that crawled out of the pages of Heavy Metal, but in the context of the Spawn universe I kind of liked her. I guess because she's something like Castiel from Supernatural meets Wonder Woman.

If they changed her design to something like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

She could make a pretty kickass heroine. Add in the raccoon face-paint, recolour her hair orange, then add some body armour wherever, and you're done.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I can't see the image for some reason, though I was able to see it when I copied the link directly, and that's seriously supposed to be a better alternative?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    She's not a terribly written character, particularly in comparison to early Image attempts.
    Ok let's discuss her character sans McFarlane's art. I did collect and read early issues of Spawn. In fact I'm probably holding on to a little bit of money with those first issues. Maybe. But anyways... I encountered the character and even back then I didn't think much of her.
    An angel, except oooooh badass and mostly nekkid. So grimdark.
    I never got to the part where she fell in love with Spawn or whatever.
    Help me see what got NG so excited over her.