New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Alex Verus #1: Fated

Those are some great reviews, congratulations! And I'm sure you'll get some more right here in a few days.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Lots of news today!

Firstly, the email exchange between me and Jim Butcher is online at Barnes & Noble! Topics covered include the world-building of the Dresden Files, the makeup of Harry Dresden's character, and some hints about what's coming next in the main story for Harry after Ghost Story and Changes. Jim was amazingly nice and I loved talking to him - it was really generous of him to do the whole thing.

It also comes with an excellent review by Paul Allen which calls me the "next coming of Jim Butcher". No pressure or anything.

Next, Fated is out in the UK! Here's the cover:

Spoiler
    Show

Very different design from the US one, but I like it just as much. They went for a subtler layout with more detail, compared to the bright flame-patterns of the US book.

Oh, and the next Encyclopaedia Arcana post is up: Divination Magic (Part 2).

It's been a really good week.
    Last edited by Saph; 2012-03-02 at 08:04 AM.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

That review has made me even more intrigued in the book And that exchange with Butcher was interesting too. It must have been a lot of fun doing that, heh.

I haven't bothered to check the encyclopedia yet, because I'd like to read the book first with a fresh face before delving into the lore, but I'll give it a scan afterwards.

i'm gonna put an order for Fated in with my bookstore tomorrow
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Yet another great review! And completely deserved, as Fated is excellent. Any idea when you'll start to see sales numbers?

The interview with Butcher was really interesting, great info on both of your processes. And don't forget the Jade Court makes at least 4 different vamps in the Dresden'verse!

I think I actually like the UK cover better. While I have no idea how those things related to the contents of the books, it feels more whimsical and unique. But then, you guys always seem to have the better cover art.

The new Encyclopedia entry is good, more useful info.

5. - Top - End - #65

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by MammonAzrael View Post
    Yet another great review! And completely deserved, as Fated is excellent. Any idea when you'll start to see sales numbers?
    My publishers probably have them already, at least early ones (bookshops order a fair bit in advance of publication). They're hard to rely on though, as these days many books are returned.

I do know that Amazon.co.uk sold out of the UK edition within a day, so at least some people are buying it.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

I JUST finished the Dresden files, all 13 of 'em over about 4 months, so this looks right up my alley. Getting to support another Playgrounder doesn't hurt either .

I'll check it out! And congratulations! Just out of curiosity, does it make any difference to the author whether someone buys the book on a kindle or e-reader, versus a traditional bookstore or online?
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

7. - Top - End - #67

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I'll check it out! And congratulations!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does it make any difference to the author whether someone buys the book on a kindle or e-reader, versus a traditional bookstore or online?
    The main difference is due to the method of sales - ebooks can be copied indefinitely, but traditional bookstores have to get in stock (which then hangs around until it's sold or returned). So ordering a book at a bookstore has a more lasting impact. A sale's a sale, though!

8. - Top - End - #68

Planetar

Encyclopaedia Arcana #9 is up, on chance magic - Luna's area. Next week will be time, and after that the articles will switch away from magic types and onto spells for a bit.

I've been watching the Goodreads page for Fated to see the ratings and reviews going up - it's strangely addictive. At the time of writing the average rating has climbed to 3.88. I'm rooting for 4 but that's going to be pretty difficult.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Began reading this book. Can't take my e-reader to work or I'd have finished it by now. I was a little nervous when it started similarly to the Iron Druid Chronicles, and the fact that there's a seer with a cursed girlfriend named Luna reminds me too much of an infamously bad webcomic, but I'm still enjoying the character and his low power level, using smarts instead of breaking things.
    Will be back with thoughts at end of book.

10. - Top - End - #70

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Began reading this book. Can't take my e-reader to work or I'd have finished it by now. I was a little nervous when it started similarly to the Iron Druid Chronicles, and the fact that there's a seer with a cursed girlfriend named Luna reminds me too much of an infamously bad webcomic, but I'm still enjoying the character and his low power level, using smarts instead of breaking things.
    Hehe, I was wondering how many people on these boards would see "seer" and "Luna" and think "oh god no". Oddly enough I didn't get the name from Dominic Deegan - I got it because at the time I was hanging around a lot of Italian teenagers and it's a reasonably common name over there.

Haven't read the Iron Druid Chronicles but several readers have brought them up now - I might have to take a look.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Encyclopaedia Arcana #9 is up, on chance magic - Luna's area. Next week will be time, and after that the articles will switch away from magic types and onto spells for a bit.

I've been watching the Goodreads page for Fated to see the ratings and reviews going up - it's strangely addictive. At the time of writing the average rating has climbed to 3.88. I'm rooting for 4 but that's going to be pretty difficult.
    It's like watching Metacritic when a game launches! And it is so addicting.

This was one of the best Encyclopedia entries, IMO. Explains the idea of the entire branch of magic quite well. I like the note that chance adepts are unusually common compared to mages.

Will be back with thoughts at end of book.
    Girlfriend? O.o Where'd you get that from? I mean, there's some potential floating around in the air, but I wouldn't call it anything more than that.

I'll have to check out these Iron Druid Chronicles you speak of. Are they any good?

Hehe, I was wondering how many people on these boards would see "seer" and "Luna" and think "oh god no". Oddly enough I didn't get the name from Dominic Deegan - I got it because at the time I was hanging around a lot of Italian teenagers and it's a reasonably common name over there.
    I didn't connect those dots...but that's because I've never read Dominic Deegan.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, love interest how about.
    The Iron Druid Chronicles are pretty good, but because of the same e-reader problem I haven't finished the first book of that either. Or even the first chapter.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

This is why I prefer paper books, and I got my copy today. So far so good. Love the whole idea of using a wand as a distraction. Gonna dig in to it tonight.

Hehe, I was wondering how many people on these boards would see "seer" and "Luna" and think "oh god no".
    What has been seen cannot be unseen!
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, you've passed the good read test. I was up until 1 reading it, and then it featured in my dreams. 4 chapters left.
    I notice you lifted a line straight out of SoD. On purpose or accident?

Also, the wizard in Chicago has to be an urban legend. These universes would NOT get along. That's a crossover that would be hard until Dresden or Verus get to visit alternate universes in a few books.

FINISHED! Will write a review on my blahg probably later today.
    Last edited by Mauve Shirt; 2012-03-10 at 10:34 AM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Planetar

Well, you've passed the good read test. I was up until 1 reading it, and then it featured in my dreams. 4 chapters left.
    I notice you lifted a line straight out of SoD. On purpose or accident?
    Heh, well spotted. Honestly, I'm not sure. I wrote the thing more than three years ago and I can't remember what my original reasoning was. I did think of messing with the sentence structure in later rewrites to make it harder to identify (would have been easy enough) but it was just such a perfect line for the character.

Also, the wizard in Chicago has to be an urban legend. These universes would NOT get along. That's a crossover that would be hard until Dresden or Verus get to visit alternate universes in a few books.

FINISHED! Will write a review on my blahg probably later today.
    Cool! Look forward to it.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Did I say "review"? I meant "ramble aimlessly about".

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

It's interesting to see other people's opinions. When I was reading through Fated, I thought that calling Alex and Luna friends would be rather generous. I felt the same with Starbreeze. Alex may have been pleasant and friendly enough towards them, but I never felt like Alex had anyone I'd actually term a friend (except perhaps Arachne). I'm not saying this is a bad thing, it just made Alex stand out more, not really as a loner, but just someone who, through the circumstances of his life, doesn't have anyone. Obviously things are changing by the end of the book though.

18. - Top - End - #78

Planetar

Did I say "review"? I meant "ramble aimlessly about".
    Cool! That was fun to read.

The power thing in the setting that you comment on actually makes the stories a lot of fun to write. One of the problems with magic-using heroes in general is that it's hard to write interesting conflicts for them without the fights ending up feeling kind of arbitrary (there are lots of visual effects but one side ends up winning just because). Having Alex's power only provide information has turned out to work very well in limiting that.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

I do find the occasional reference enhances the experience, myself, as long as they're not done too heavily; both that line and the Abithriax the Red thing had me giggling far more than was probably appropriate.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the book! (And probably shouldn't have waited a week before posting my thoughts, but here we are.) The first several chapters had me a bit wary, if only because a top-level view of the world doesn't really do it justice, but the style (not to mention knowing what you're capable of) kept it going, and once we started having things explained in more detail, it all unfolded quite nicely. You seem to have a decent level of Sanderson's-Law-compliance going on with your magic as well, which is always something I like to see in fantasy, but I'll reserve judgement on that point until I see where the next book takes it. There's a lot that seems to be just mentioned in passing, but most of it appears to fit into a coherent whole. I shall have to read those Encyclopaedia articles you've been writing, too; I'm sure those will help.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #80

Planetar

Cool, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, as you can probably guess I'm more on the 'hard magic' side of Sanderson's law. I really like those articles of his, by the way - the Second Law is very good too.

Encyclopaedia Arcana #10 is up, this one on time magic. Next three are going to be on spells, and the three after that are on the political factions of the Light Council.

Lots more good reviews have come in, too, and it seems like my publishers are using Google Ads too, which is nice (I keep on seeing adverts for my book when I'm browsing Goodreads. Kind of unnecessary for me, but hopefully that means some other people are seeing it as well . . .)

In other news, I got my first terrible review! I'm still very new to having my book get any real exposure, so this is kind of a new thing for me. I've had a minority of six-out-of-ten reviews up to now, but they've all been of the "Well, I didn't like X and Y, but I liked A and B, and I'll pick up the next in the series to see where it goes" type, which is fair enough really. In this one though, the guy's reason for disliking the book was - quite literally - that there was a homage to Jim Butcher on page 3. Here's the link if you're curious.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Cool, thanks for the feedback! Yeah, as you can probably guess I'm more on the 'hard magic' side of Sanderson's law. I really like those articles of his, by the way - the Second Law is very good too.

Encyclopaedia Arcana #10 is up, this one on time magic. Next three are going to be on spells, and the three after that are on the political factions of the Light Council.
    The initial wording on Time sight feels a little off. I feel like what you meant was "...a time mage can view a single the past, learning what did happen instead of what might have happened..." I mean, there is only one past, right? Not multiple pasts? Unless you're referring to individual pasts of objects and people, rather than the blanket term of "the past?"

Given the close connection of past and future, am I right in thinking that diviners also happen to be users of "time magic?" Theirs just happens to be rather specialized and unique, but it's still "time" magic. Or is divination in a completely separate category? And if so, why?

What safeguards are there to ensure that time mages, and by extension diviners, are honest about what they see? While I recognize that trust and repeat customers plays into it, there must be magical means of ensure the truth is spoken, yes?

In other news, haste, slow, and time hop are awesome.

I really like the way you separated this entry, particularly the section on Nature and Demeanor. I hope future articles on types of magic share this section!

In other news, I got my first terrible review! I'm still very new to having my book get any real exposure, so this is kind of a new thing for me. I've had a minority of six-out-of-ten reviews up to now, but they've all been of the "Well, I didn't like X and Y, but I liked A and B, and I'll pick up the next in the series to see where it goes" type, which is fair enough really. In this one though, the guy's reason for disliking the book was - quite literally - that there was a homage to Jim Butcher on page 3. Here's the link if you're curious.
    I've never been to Camden so I can't comment on the portrayal of it in Fated, except for the fact that it struck me as extremely quiet with very little going on and not at all an interesting set piece or location, notable only because that happened to be where Verus set up shop.

As for the rest of the review...
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2012-03-16 at 03:12 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

Planetar

The initial wording on Time sight feels a little off. I feel like what you meant was "...a time mage can view a single the past, learning what did happen instead of what might have happened..." I mean, there is only one past, right? Not multiple pasts? Unless you're referring to individual pasts of objects and people, rather than the blanket term of "the past?"
    Hmm - so you think it's a bit confusing? I could rewrite it along your lines - the idea was to get at the fact that time mages can just see one sequence of events rather than having to sort through countless possibilities.

Given the close connection of past and future, am I right in thinking that diviners also happen to be users of "time magic?" Theirs just happens to be rather specialized and unique, but it's still "time" magic. Or is divination in a completely separate category? And if so, why?
    Either way is a valid way of looking at it. One of the things I decided on a while ago is that all the types of magic are basically just labels. There's no completely objective measurement for what kind of magic someone can use.

What safeguards are there to ensure that time mages, and by extension diviners, are honest about what they see? While I recognize that trust and repeat customers plays into it, there must be magical means of ensure the truth is spoken, yes?
    There are . . . kind of, but they're highly intrusive and pretty much no-one is going to voluntarily go along with them. As for the issue of how anyone can tell that a time mage is being honest about what he sees . . . well, that's a good question! It's the problem you'd expect to have when only a very small minority of people are qualified to give evidence on a subject: there's a lot of room for corruption.

And yes, Time Hop was in fact the inspiration for that spell.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm - so you think it's a bit confusing? I could rewrite it along your lines - the idea was to get at the fact that time mages can just see one sequence of events rather than having to sort through countless possibilities.
    The reason I found it slightly confusing was because of how divination works. Since divination allows you to see the branching paths of the future for various people and objects, there are obviously multiple possible futures. With time magic being so similar to divination (in theme, if nothing else), the way you worded it made me think that perhaps instead of just looking at a piece of the past (like watching a security tape or something), time mages followed individuals through their specific past.

Of course, it looks like you've updated, so moot point.

There are . . . kind of, but they're highly intrusive and pretty much no-one is going to voluntarily go along with them. As for the issue of how anyone can tell that a time mage is being honest about what he sees . . . well, that's a good question! It's the problem you'd expect to have when only a very small minority of people are qualified to give evidence on a subject: there's a lot of room for corruption.
    So it sounds like the most common limiter is a very small field in which a reputation for dishonesty can spread very quickly. Makes sense. Which implies that when a time mage/diviner does want to be dishonest, they won't want any survivors...or anyone able to catch them in the lie at least.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey Saph, how did you get Jim's endorsement? Did you just email it to him? Was it arranged by the people who published your book?

25. - Top - End - #85

Planetar

Hey Saph, how did you get Jim's endorsement? Did you just email it to him? Was it arranged by the people who published your book?
    The second. My American editor/publisher is the same as Jim's (which I was very happy about when I found out).

26. - Top - End - #86
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

My local newspaper's book column gave a good review of Fated this week - I saw it and knew the name of the book looked really familiar, but took me a few minutes to remember who I knew wrote it. I'll have to round up a copy now to check it out.

27. - Top - End - #87

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    My local newspaper's book column gave a good review of Fated this week - I saw it and knew the name of the book looked really familiar, but took me a few minutes to remember who I knew wrote it.
    Cool! Is there a link to it anywhere? I'm collecting reviews on my blog at the moment. :)

28. - Top - End - #88
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It was just a free university rag, I don't think it has a website. It was a good review though, and also mentioned the Butcher connections.

29. - Top - End - #89

Planetar

Encyclopaedia Arcana #11 is up, this one an introduction to spells.

I got a bunch more good reviews, including a really nice and detailed one on an English site called Fantasy Faction. So that put me in a good mood!

Oh, and I saw the first reference to Fated go up on TV Tropes, which made me happier than it really should have (given how much time I spend reading that site). I almost want to make a trope page for Fated myself, but it's way more fun to see what other people come up with.

30. - Top - End - #90

Planetar

Something new this week - I wrote a short story featuring the characters from Fated for the Paranormal April Fools' event at Tynga's Reviews. It's definitely on the silly side, but if you liked Fated I think you'll enjoy it. :)

And Encyclopaedia Arcana #12 is up, this one dealing with spell components. If you've ever wondered why spellcasters say magic words and make gestures with their hands, here's the reason!

I'm still getting reviews coming in, even a month after release, which is really encouraging. I'm putting up a new post's worth of them every week or so.