New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Alex Verus Series

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Blackletter View Post
    One thing that seem out of place is why is a Divination Mage seen as a wizard rather then a powerful adapt? They only have one trick, a powerful trick, but still only one one.
    That's actually a valid way to look at it, and it's one of the reasons divination's thought of as a 'weak' type. The mage/adept distinction is fuzzy and there isn't really a right or a wrong way to categorise them.

Either way, really glad you like them! I'm working on number 4 at the moment and publication looks hopeful, but nothing definite yet!

Oh, and new Encyclopaedia Arcana's up, this one on the Council Keepers.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

2. - Top - End - #152

Are we going to hear more about the Dark Mages once we're through with the Council series? I'm particular curious about what the term officially signifies, given that Dark Mages don't seem to have officials ("There is no Dark Alliance"). Is "Dark Mage" just a philosophical label, like "utilitarian" or "anarchist," with no legal meaning? If so, how does the Concord recognize them--Are they treated like independents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

Just sent up my ask Luna questions. I understand if you want to leave out any of the questions in your response. It's quite possible that answering some of this stuff might be more fun in text.

4. - Top - End - #154

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Are we going to hear more about the Dark Mages once we're through with the Council series? I'm particular curious about what the term officially signifies, given that Dark Mages don't seem to have officials ("There is no Dark Alliance"). Is "Dark Mage" just a philosophical label, like "utilitarian" or "anarchist," with no legal meaning? If so, how does the Concord recognize them--Are they treated like independents?
    The Concord doesn't draw any distinction between the factions – they're all just considered "mages" with equal rights under the law. Theoretically, Dark mages are under the authority of the Council like everyone else. In practice, obviously, things don't quite work out that way.

I've got a piece on the Dark factions in draft stage, but it won't be ready for a good long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Serack View Post
    Just sent up my ask Luna questions. I understand if you want to leave out any of the questions in your response. It's quite possible that answering some of this stuff might be more fun in text.
    Answered them – well, most of them. :) I've got about enough questions to make up half an article, so you'll have to wait for the answers until I get a few more questions!
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

5. - Top - End - #155

Planetar

New Encyclopaedia Arcana is up, this one on the Keeper Orders.

I got a ton of Ask Luna questions on Wednesday, so I think I'll give the Encyclopaedia a break and run the first Ask Luna next week!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

So I finally got around to reading Faated, read it over two days, and now I'm getting Cursed. I've also recommended it to a few friends. Very well done Saph.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ok, just started reading Fated, only a couple of chapters into it, and I'm loving it a lot! I also really like the fact that we have the author of the book on the Playground, which is awesome! Great work, Saph! Keep it up!

8. - Top - End - #158

Planetar

Great, thanks! Very much appreciated. :)

And the first Ask Luna is up! I got a bunch of questions via the Jim Butcher forum thanks to Serack, so there'll be a second instalment next week.

9. - Top - End - #159

Planetar

Second Ask Luna is up. It's interesting to see the kind of questions I've been getting via this – I'd been expecting a lot more personal ones or questions related to the stories, but it seems people want to know more about the world-building info.

The covers for Taken are out, and it's about time I put up the first extract, too. I'll try and get that done the coming week.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Second Ask Luna is up. It's interesting to see the kind of questions I've been getting via this – I'd been expecting a lot more personal ones or questions related to the stories, but it seems people want to know more about the world-building info.

The covers for Taken are out, and it's about time I put up the first extract, too. I'll try and get that done the coming week.

Speaking for myself, I asked more world building questions (although I did ask questions about characters too, although I'm not sure what you mean by "personal"), because 1: the website has a lot of world building so I kinda kept with the theme, and 2: I kind of try to maintain the perspective that I would probably enjoy more about the story within the frame of the story. (which I expressed in saying that I understood that you might prefer to save details that might answer my questions for future stories).

11. - Top - End - #161

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Serack View Post
    Speaking for myself, I asked more world building questions (although I did ask questions about characters too, although I'm not sure what you mean by "personal"), because 1: the website has a lot of world building so I kinda kept with the theme, and 2: I kind of try to maintain the perspective that I would probably enjoy more about the story within the frame of the story. (which I expressed in saying that I understood that you might prefer to save details that might answer my questions for future stories).
    Yep, that makes sense - since it's going in parallel with the Encyclopaedia entries, it's not surprising that people have been taking their cue from that.

And on that note, the new Encyclopaedia entry is up, this one on gate magic!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

So I FINALLY picked up Fated and Cursed this weekend. I'm about halfway through the first one. Allow me to add my voice to the growing pile of congratulations. It's a pretty good read so far. It's probably going on my recommended list (I have to finish it first, you see ).

And now I can finally start reading the Encyclopaedia, heh.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    So I FINALLY picked up Fated and Cursed this weekend. I'm about halfway through the first one. Allow me to add my voice to the growing pile of congratulations. It's a pretty good read so far. It's probably going on my recommended list (I have to finish it first, you see ).

And now I can finally start reading the Encyclopaedia, heh.
    And you can pick up Taken after that, since it came out this week. I need to see about getting a copy, as I finished Cursed a couple weeks back and it handled
    Spoiler
    Show
    wish magic quite well, especially when Martin wished to take Alex's Divination skills and were overwhelmed by them.
    Well done, Saph, well done.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    And you can pick up Taken after that, since it came out this week.
    It did? Sweet.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Taken is out? Brilliant!
    Oh wait, I have to finish all those other books before I can buy a new one? And one of them is 700 pages long? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
    Totally buying Taken this evening, I'll finish it in a day. Omnomnom urban fantasy.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reverent-One View Post
    It did? Sweet.
    So says Saph's blog, so I would assume the author should know.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #167

Planetar

Yep, it's now out in the US, though UK readers are going to have to wait another week. Should update my forum sig really. :)

Thanks for all the kind words, they're much appreciated!

18. - Top - End - #168
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Got my copy today. But I'm re-reading Fated and Cursed before I touch it.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

I just started the series on Friday, I'm still trying to track down a copy of the third book. I forced Fated and Cursed onto my brother and Im still waiting for his opinion. I like the way that the main character has an ability that can be so massively overpowered but still so useless at the same time.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

20. - Top - End - #170

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I just started the series on Friday, I'm still trying to track down a copy of the third book. I forced Fated and Cursed onto my brother and Im still waiting for his opinion. I like the way that the main character has an ability that can be so massively overpowered but still so useless at the same time.
    Heh, I get entertainingly mixed reactions from readers on that. About half think that Alex's ability is overpowered, the other half think it's underpowered. :)

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, I get entertainingly mixed reactions from readers on that. About half think that Alex's ability is overpowered, the other half think it's underpowered. :)
    The feeling that I get is that it has the potential to be extremely powerful, if one is able to have it "on" all the time. If you're constantly scanning the future, you'd never have to be surprised either in conversation or combat. But I get the idea that it takes a whole lot of concentration to do that, so it's unfeasible, especially what with Alex constantly dodging attempts on his life and whatnot. So he still gets ambushed and surprised occasionally, and that's what limits the exploitation of power. And what makes the books interesting, heh.

That's just the idea I got, anyway.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

I figure its to situational to be the end all be all super power, but when applied properly to a situation it has the ability to overcome absolutely anything, provided the person using it can manage to enact what he can see. Also it seemed to be a bit of a joke about how a protagonist always seems to find the right thing to do or the right way out.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I read Fated and Cursed rather recently, and had a great time with them both.

Part of the issue with Alex's power is the rather poorly defined "Look for a future where you are successful, then figure out what made that happen" trick. It's described as "Quickly Scanning futures looking for success", and assuming he can watch futures flick by like a slideshow it makes sense. For Example, how he cracks passwords, every future but one will be almost identical: The password is rejected, so it's easy to pick out the right one, the single outlier.

It's a little more dubious when you have things like his first conversation with Cinder, or distracting the guard by throwing the rock. With those situations there are tons of potential "Bad" out comes, so the Slideshow metaphor dosn't work as well, since not all the bad outcomes look the same, and his power seems to turn into "If it is possible to succeed, you can instantly know how".

It dosn't help that, the narration describes how everybody considers Diviners somewhat useless compared to other mages of their power level, and then the rest of the book is Alex using what seems to be rather straightforward applications of his power to do extraordinary things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

24. - Top - End - #174

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It's a little more dubious when you have things like his first conversation with Cinder, or distracting the guard by throwing the rock. With those situations there are tons of potential "Bad" out comes, so the Slideshow metaphor dosn't work as well, since not all the bad outcomes look the same, and his power seems to turn into "If it is possible to succeed, you can instantly know how".
    The thing is that learning how to use divination is a skill like any other – you can get good at it and you can learn specific tricks that help in certain situations, but it's never 100% predictable. Think of it as being like professional sports – sometimes a batter will hit a really difficult pitch for a home run, but no matter how good they are, they won't do it every time. No-one has a perfect batting average.

In Alex's case, he can reliably pull things off as long as he's dealing with predictable/deterministic systems, like machines, passwords, etc. Once he's dealing with people though, there's a certain inherent level of unpredictability in there. Sometimes his magic'll let him take a shortcut, but sometimes it won't.

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    It dosn't help that, the narration describes how everybody considers Diviners somewhat useless compared to other mages of their power level, and then the rest of the book is Alex using what seems to be rather straightforward applications of his power to do extraordinary things.
    Well, in a straight fight, diviners are weaker than combat mages. Seeing possible futures isn't much help if all the futures are telling you "you're about to get blown up". If you look at the way the fights in the books play out, Alex generally only wins if he can ambush his opponent or pull some kind of trick on them . . . on the other hand, that's exactly what divination magic is good at. It's sort of like the arguments on D&D boards about divination spells vs conjuration/evocation spells. Which is better, Orb of Force or Scrying? :)

25. - Top - End - #175

Planetar

Big announcement up on the website today about Alex Verus #4 and #5, and the future of the series! Been sitting on this one for a while, so it's good to have it out there at last.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Big announcement up on the website today about Alex Verus #4 and #5, and the future of the series! Been sitting on this one for a while, so it's good to have it out there at last.
    Congratulations! I look forward to reading Taken as well as future endeavors. :3
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

So there's going to be at least two more books? Awesome.

And given the level of enthusiasm thus far about the current books, I wouldn't be surprised if the series gets picked up for as long as you can churn out more.

What I'm trying to say is, just keep on writing, you crazy author you

28. - Top - End - #178

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    So there's going to be at least two more books? Awesome.

And given the level of enthusiasm thus far about the current books, I wouldn't be surprised if the series gets picked up for as long as you can churn out more.

What I'm trying to say is, just keep on writing, you crazy author you
    That's the plan!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hey Saph,

I don't want to browse through this thread too much in order to avoid being tempted by spoiler tags so I'm sorry if this came up before, but I saw mention of your series in the Dresden Files thread and wanted to go check out your first Alex Verus novel -- thing is, I was trying to buy the Kindle edition and it will only let me do that through amazon.de. Do you happen to have an associate link for that version of the site, too? I'd rather support a fellow GITP user as much as possible.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

This thread smells rather zombiefied...

Anyway, I followed the link in your signature and got myself all three books by now. I'm having a good time with them and your worldbuilding articles are an enjoyable extra. Put one of my own stories on hold for being too similar though, but yours is better anyway. Guess I'm a fan now. Love Arachne, by the way.

One question I have: How difficult is it for an elemental mage to use AoE attacks? It seems that once your opponent dodges any attack you'd resort to attacks that cover too large an area to be dodged, however Alex is still alive. So, is it difficult to cover a lot of ground with offensive magic, or does it take longer and thus give time to exit the area?
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei