New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    I may not be missing the point you think I am For some of us, and I know this will sound weird to some, crafting is *part* of the fun. To me, going through another tomb and fighting another undead deathlord is the boring part I have to plow through to get to the good stuff.

Keep in mind the /humor tag in my post, otherwise we're splitting semantic hairs about the phrases "dumbest", "doesn't serve any purpose" and "without any benefit". There is a purpose, there is a benefit, but if it bores you? That's a question of taste, and one every player is welcome to.
    Don't forget Opinions.
    For me, it turns my skyforge steel axe as my companion weapons instead of replacing it with other weapons thanks to upgrades.
    Should have put the weapon degrading system to make it more sensible.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    But still, I love customizing stuffs. That's why I always like making custom spells and equipments in elder scroll games, and why I'm rather annoyed that they limit the customization even further in skyrim.
    I'm going to second this. Skyrim's crafting system is harmless, but it's a bit dumbed down. In earlier games you could craft your own spells and enchanting had more freedom as well.

Seriously, tell me another game which I can do the following, or something even close:

Enchant a pair of shoes with Jump 100 for 2 seconds. Enchant a ring with 1 pts of Levitation for 1 second. Activate the first, do a forward Hulk jump, watch as the ground flows beneath you, see the next town drawing close, and right before crashing to a nearby house, activate the ring to completely rob you of momentum and drop you harmlessly to the ground.

And I'm not even going into the fun of making custom spells and giving them cheesy names.

Spoiler
    Show
    I lied!

Fire Damage 4 points for 60 seconds: Internal Combustion

Fortify Agility 50 pts for 5 seconds, Fortify Marksmanship 50 pts for 5 seconds: Sniper's Breath

Drain Health 45 pts for 1 second: Pest Control, or Cliff Racer's Bane

Weakness to Magicka 100% for 1 second, Drain Health 100 for 1 second: Power Word: Kill
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-04-18 at 11:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I hope they put custom spells and Levitation back in with a DLC, or in the sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    I'm going to second this. Skyrim's crafting system is harmless, but it's a bit dumbed down. In earlier games you could craft your own spells and enchanting had more freedom as well.

Seriously, tell me another game which I can do the following, or something even close:

Enchant a pair of shoes with Jump 100 for 2 seconds. Enchant a ring with 1 pts of Levitation for 1 second. Activate the first, do a forward Hulk jump, watch as the ground flows beneath you, see the next town drawing close, and right before crashing to a nearby house, activate the ring to completely rob you of momentum and drop you harmlessly to the ground.

And I'm not even going into the fun of making custom spells and giving them cheesy names.

Spoiler
    Show
    I lied!

Fire Damage 4 points for 60 seconds: Internal Combustion

Fortify Agility 50 pts for 5 seconds, Fortify Marksmanship 50 pts for 5 seconds: Sniper's Breath

Drain Health 45 pts for 1 second: Pest Control, or Cliff Racer's Bane

Weakness to Magicka 100% for 1 second, Drain Health 100 for 1 second: Power Word: Kill
    I know I'm not the only one who loves creating custom spells/equipments and giving them cheesy names

The trademark weapon that I made in every elder scroll games before was a sword that gives shock, frost, and fire damage at once. I'm sad that I can't do that here.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Such as a fortify carry weight enchantment and calling them the boots of hauling ass?

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ettin in the Playground

My favorite enchantments are
    - Soultrap (it reduces damage but you can wield both shield and blade to recharge soul gems).
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    The trademark weapon that I made in every elder scroll games before was a sword that gives shock, frost, and fire damage at once. I'm sad that I can't do that here.
    If your willing to muck around with the creation kit this is possible, or just make do with fire ice and and sing a song about it.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Okay, I've advanced the main quest to the point of needing to get a truce declared between the Imperials & Stormcloaks. I can back off for a bit to my real quest of capping the skills out.

Heavy armor capped out during a random "kill the bandit leader" quest last night. This is particularly welcome since it means I can move to my planned uber DragonScale set. Two-handed is moving slower than I wish, but it's in the mid-90's now so it's tempting to just pay the piper Vilkas to train those last few points. Soon, my precious hand-crafted and massively improved Daedric sword of paralyze/absorb stamina, soon...

That would leave block & archery for my Combat skills. In-game wifey can get me to 75 archery if it comes to it. The problem there is that right now I think getting Destruction maxed is a bigger deal, as it is further behind. Block is likely just a matter of buckling down against bear or something.

Since I mentioned Destruction, I capped Alteration with a simple formula. Free school casting enchants + telekinesis\detect life + a side of venison + duct tape on mouse = 100 alteration. That leaves me with Illusion @ 94 (I should be able to do the mastery quest for that the next time I swing by Winterhold), Restoration at 83, and poor Destruction at 61. I've got -87% casting cost enchants already ready for Destruction, I just need to get the chest piece made before I can train it in earnest. Restoration will just be a matter of doing it, it essentially raises naturally after all so it's the lowest priority.

The Stealth skills are a different situation though. Yes, One-handed & Light armor were among my first skills to cap (Conjuration was actually first, IIRC). Speech and Lockpicking are both in the mid\upper 80's. Part of the reason I'm holding onto Ogham Infinium is to score 5 points of each of those when they get into the 90's. Alchemy is capped, and I having the healing potions & Potions of Vendoring ( ) to show for it.

It's Sneak (35) and Pickpocket (29) that are the problem. Once I get back to my "real" armor set, I've got the materials ready to go to also make a Thievery set (with bonuses to Sneak & Pickpocket) to make this easier to do. In hindsight I probably should already have trained this up to the upper 40's or so for skill ranks (I wasn't aware of the 5-per-level limit) before I got into the 60's for level.

=============

In other news, I would like to point out that it feels a little silly to be running into boss-level monsters as if they were scrubs\trash and then run into the same monsters as the end boss of the dungeon. Brings back memories of Daggerfall, where I had nearly maxed out my character before I pursued the main quest much at all -- and as a result, there were dungeons where the trash was deadlier than the end bosses

In other silliness, I come pretty close to being capped on magic resistance without a single enchant (Breton + Agent of Mara + the Alteration perks). When I put on my ring and\or equip the shield, insanity begins. I did this for a series of dragon fights the other night and I was all but invulnerable until the dragon landed.

I ran into a quest I'm tempted to spoil for myself. I "solved" a murder in Windhelm but don't feel like I finished it all the way. I was clearly being directed to frame the court wizard (obvious trap is obvious), then caught the 'real murderer' red-handed -- but I can't shake the impression there's more to it. This might be one of those cases (like the White Phial) where it'll pick up again later. Veeeee shall seeeeee...
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2012-04-20 at 02:39 PM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Colossus in the Playground

It's always bugged me that enchanted weapons are consumable, while enchanted items are not. Why can melee not have nice things?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    It's always bugged me that enchanted weapons are consumable, while enchanted items are not. Why can melee not have nice things?
    Tis was not always so. Millenia ago in the mythical game knows as Morrowind charges replenished over time so one could wait or rest and then unleash a fully replenished weapon or activated magical item on the enemy.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

11. - Top - End - #1331

BlackDragon

You kind of get to feeling that if Bethesda actually put together all the *good* bits of the Elder Scrolls games they'd have the best RPG ever made, but they always seem to mess up *something*. Morrowind had the ineffective and practically unusable magic skills and Oblivion had the stupidly aggressive and immersion-breaking level scaling for enemies. Skyrim is getting there, I think, but still has some flaws--samey dungeons, far too limited enchanting and spell-making capabilities; plus it also inherits some (thankfully not all) of Oblivion's "we must let somebody experience all the content with one character even if that character is obviously unsuited for the role--being Archmage without being able to cast the simplest spell isn't a problem, really!".

12. - Top - End - #1332

Considering that you start knowing a couple of spells, and must demonstrate casting an advanced one before entering the College, that doesn't really work as a criticism.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Titan in the Playground

Fine. You only have to know how to cast one fairly simple spell (All my attempts, it was second rank). And the only barrier to that is a small amount of gold and having Magicka Cost Reduction gear.

What was it like in previous ones that was worse than that?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Barbarian in the Playground

Considering that you start knowing a couple of spells, and must demonstrate casting an advanced one before entering the College, that doesn't really work as a criticism.
    Actually... You don't have to cast anything other than a Lesser Ward, for which you can just chug potions away during the Alteration lesson. You can gain entry during the main quest by simply demonstrating your Thu'um.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Fine. You only have to know how to cast one fairly simple spell (All my attempts, it was second rank). And the only barrier to that is a small amount of gold and having Magicka Cost Reduction gear.

In Morrowind at least you needed magic skills of a certain level before you got different guild ranks. So for one rank you could need say one skill at 50 and two at 30 and then for the next promotion one skill at 70 and two at 45 and so on.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-04-20 at 06:04 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    IIRC correctly, in Oblivion's Mages Guild questline, one quests technically required casting a few spells - but you were given scrolls of each of those. So, you could do the whole thing without knowing even a single spell.
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2012-04-20 at 05:56 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

I don't understand. Do they really think that if players can't gain access to every aspect of the game within a few hours, they have a risk of getting bored and dropping the game? I'm seriously trying to get the thought process behind this.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Titan in the Playground

I just had a very awesome day in Skryim today.

My first moment of awesome was managing to sneak up and sneak attack a dragon to death. Did it so fast that it didn't even get into the air. Just died where it lay.

My second moment of awesome was infiltrating Draudach Redoubt, coming over the back of the mountain, ducking into the cave. Killing one Forsworn from behind while she chopped wood, stealing the Briarheart out of a second one while he was busy at an alchemy station, then grabbing the goods and skeddaling before anyone else figured it out. Well, one guy did, but I was faster out the cave than he was at finding me.

The third one was infiltrating Broken Oar Grotto. Slipping in the door and murdering most of the place with a glass dagger in the back. Then sitting up and one shotting everyone with a single arrow. Except one guy, who took two.

Awesome all around. Then I hit the wrong button and took everything from my Midas Luggage. Awesome to idiotic in less than a second. *sigh*

19. - Top - End - #1339

Does the Argonian with the Dwemer quest not appear on the docks before you enter Riften?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't understand. Do they really think that if players can't gain access to every aspect of the game within a few hours, they have a risk of getting bored and dropping the game? I'm seriously trying to get the thought process behind this.
    I think it comes from a wrong concept of freedom (defined as "anyone can do everything whenever he wants no matter what").

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Barbarian in the Playground

Are there any good random bandits mods? I get bored travelling around places when I can't do fast travel.
    On a plus side beat Alduin at level 28
    Last edited by The Underlord; 2012-04-21 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

22. - Top - End - #1342

BlackDragon

You clearly missed the bit where I said that was an Oblivion problem that Skyrim thankfully doesn't inherit entirely...however, as already pointed out, it is certainly possible to become Archmage with a bare minimum of magical knowledge, even in Skyrim. Heck, you need to use more magic to complete the orrery quest in the main story than you do to complete the Mage's Guild sequence!

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ettin in the Playground

Does the Argonian with the Dwemer quest not appear on the docks before you enter Riften?
    She doesn't appear before level 20; I think that's the only requirement.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

On a minor note, my "Kensai challenge" (no armor, no magic, no shouts, no looting, no potions, no magic items, only a nonmagical greatsword and in special cases (like against a dragon), a nonmagical bow) is now over, with a victory. Keep in mind that I did very few quests outside the bards' college and civil war questlines, so the challenge might not have hold against some of the stronger and more magical bosses you generally find around the game, but then again, I didn't grind that hard, so my skills & equipment weren't top notch either. Regardless, it was fun.

Some notes:

-Dragons are hard now that you have no healing, armor or resistances. You actually have to use cover and strike when it's dealing with someone else. Definitely more epic dragon fights than my vanilla game.

-In early game, even mere Draugr with two handed weapons can waste you because of your zero armor rating. Thus, footwork and reach start to mean a lot. Almost as if I was playing Mount & Blade instead of Skyrim.

-Since enemy power attacks hurt a lot, the slow time and power bash perks from Block become very valuable.

-Sprinting power attacks against mages are a lot of fun.

-Standing Stones can save your life. Serpent when dealing with singular organic heavy hitters, Lord on default, and Atronach when dealing with mages.

-Vegetable Soup is your friend.
    Last edited by Cespenar; 2012-04-21 at 06:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground

-Vegetable Soup is your friend.
    Don't forget Apple cabbage stew, or Horker stew.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Apple Jack's parents

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Don't forget Apple cabbage stew, or Horker stew.
    Vegetable Soup seemed easier to make, but yes, they'd do as well.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Titan in the Playground

UESP.net pegs Unfathomable Depths, the Lizard Smithing Quest, as level 14 minimum requirement. And no, you needn't enter Rfiten. I habitually go up the docks, used to be to go through the Black-Briar Meadery and avoid the annoying guards, now it's just because I can exit the convo and walk straight past the guy because Open Cities has no door there.

Anyway, the Lizard is there without entering Riften.

@Cespenar: You might give the Companions a go. Aside from the Draugr there aren't any enemies that cast spells, and there are a few up armored enemies, but nothing you shouldn't be able to deal with.

That said, were you 'allowed' smithing?

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post

@Cespenar: You might give the Companions a go. Aside from the Draugr there aren't any enemies that cast spells, and there are a few up armored enemies, but nothing you shouldn't be able to deal with.

That said, were you 'allowed' smithing?
    True, but I already had done the Companions with my vanilla run.

And yes, I was allowed smithing, but didn't have the patience to raise it after 30 (since, again, it was one of my main skills in my first character). So, the best I had was a Dwarven Greatsword. Not bad, but not end-game stuff by far.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hey guys. Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I've been searching the nexus and steam for a mod and I was wondering if any of you had seen anything like it or knew how it could be made.

What I'm looking for is a dragon priest mask mod that removes the hood part, so that the mask basically just takes the circlet slot. Kinda like the masks in Bleach if you follow me. The hoods are always ugly and never match my gear for more than a single character in any event.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I hate to double post, but for some reason my last post didn't count according to the system. The question stands, however. I attempted to do it myself in the toolset, but the results didn't go the way I'd hoped.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.