New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

I blame ponythread and I blame Thanqol in particular.

I don't get nearly enough excuses to draw things.

To be updated daily (duh). Expect fanart of pony and assorted other obsessions. Until then, Behold.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

If saying mean things on occasion makes awesome things like this happen, I should say more mean things!

Welcome to the challenge! Could I get an idea of where you're at with regards to art right now? You've evidently got some real experience already; that's a very well layed out picture. Are you trained or just a dabbler? And what do you want to achieve in particular with this project? Do you ever intend to make the switch to digital?

And, above all, good luck and have fun!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Woke up at two today. Sleep is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    If saying mean things on occasion makes awesome things like this happen, I should say more mean things!

Welcome to the challenge! Could I get an idea of where you're at with regards to art right now? You've evidently got some real experience already; that's a very well layed out picture. Are you trained or just a dabbler? And what do you want to achieve in particular with this project? Do you ever intend to make the switch to digital?

And, above all, good luck and have fun!

Wherein I write what should have been in the OP.

The drawing above was completed in somewhat less than three hours, and is quite well representative of my current abilities (would you like me to upload some earlier drawings?).

I always have drawn a lot in my free time, but did go to a payed course outside of school when I was younger, although it placed more emphasis with different materials rather than results, accordingly I have passing familiarity with acrylics and suchlike. I study at a Gymnasium (I don’t know exactly what that would correspond to in more international terms) in Sweden now where they stopped teaching art after the first term. It has been over a year without regular drawing now and I’ve missed it badly (another reason to do this). I’d call myself mostly self-taught.

In the long term, more than anything I’d like a better idea of anatomy and I particular then the human face (In the very short term, today I was thinking two point perspective).

I’d very much like to make digital art, but don’t know exactly where to begin.
    Uploading today’s drawing will probably have to wait until after school though.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    I’d very much like to make digital art, but don’t know exactly where to begin.
    Uploading today’s drawing will probably have to wait until after school though.
    The first step to digital art is buying a tablet. Wacom's Bamboo Fun is the only one I have experience with, but I've got nothing bad to say about it; it does it's job great. From there, it's a curious process of learning, un-learning and experimentation.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Well, my birthday is within a month, so that should work out smartly.

EDIT: No reason to doublepost, so i'll just bake todays picture in here.

This one I'm not quite as happy with, but, lessons. I'm thinking of messing about in photoshop soon to see how I can improve a pencildrawing with just a mouse. Also nail down resizing, this is getting pretentious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-16 at 11:55 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

No stealth update this time, every day deserves a post of it's own.

Somthing relatively quick and simple today.

Spoiler
    Show
    The outside is a scary, scary place.

A couple of useful discoveries made today.

Yessir, I'm going to start calling all failures that in the future.

7. - Top - End - #7

Well, my birthday is within a month, so that should work out smartly.

EDIT: No reason to doublepost, so i'll just bake todays picture in here.

This one I'm not quite as happy with, but, lessons. I'm thinking of messing about in photoshop soon to see how I can improve a pencildrawing with just a mouse. Also nail down resizing, this is getting pretentious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dudes' legs are too short. Remember the legs are just as long as the entire upper body. Girl is better proportioned though!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Dudes' legs are too short. Remember the legs are just as long as the entire upper body. Girl is better proportioned though!
    The most embarrassing part is that was one very obvious problem I did not notice until you pointed it out.

And to think, this wouldn't have been an issue if I hadn't given him a belt.

Well, that was way before now, in the mists of two days ago. The present is important too.

Have a samurai.

Spoiler
    Show

The armour and cloth in the reference picture I used was black, but I got lazy, and shading it that much felt like too much work for too little.

For the curious, here are the steps of drawing humans with the prince:

# Draw the lovechild of a skeleton and a stick figure.

# Draw an anatomically correct human body around this.

# Fail.

# Hide your mistakes in plate armour and/or robes.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-18 at 11:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

quarter past ten, local time. Late, but not too late.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanqol, just wanted to hear with you about this. Before you changed avatars I was actually planning to draw a cartoonified avatar version of this gentleman in a kindof chibi style not unlike the one you are using now. Would you be okay with me doing that now?

Unrelated, I became angry at myself over how freakishly small the samurai's hands became, so I fixed it today. I added some straps while i was at it. I don't think I'm going to make a habit of this sort of edits.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

His stands continue to be too small for him though. At least 50% bigger would be good. Usually it pays to err on the side of caution and make them too big.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    His stands continue to be too small for him though. At least 50% bigger would be good. Usually it pays to err on the side of caution and make them too big.
    Not surprised that I make a poor judge at this, my hands are very small. I will try that at the next possible opportunity, though. Thanks a lot for commenting.

12. - Top - End - #12

quarter past ten, local time. Late, but not too late.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanqol, just wanted to hear with you about this. Before you changed avatars I was actually planning to draw a cartoonified avatar version of this gentleman in a kindof chibi style not unlike the one you are using now. Would you be okay with me doing that now?
    Why on earth would I not be okay with this? It's minimalism week! Share the love! I might even colour it for you if I like the lineart.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-19 at 07:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks a lot. Don't worry about having to colour it, I'll handle that myself.

For those who read this and don't frequent ponythread, this picture is a birthday gift for Thanqol, a cartoon dragon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-20 at 10:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Ha! Well played, thank you! That's remarkably good!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

I'm glad you like it!

I probably should have drawn this one earlier today. It's a little rushed, but I'm happy with it. But that might just be because hot air balloons are cool. Well, they are hotter than the surrounding air but you know what I mean.

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Angle on the hoods isn't quite right. Remember, with hoods you've got one 'thick' side which covers the side of the face, and one 'thin' side. This looks almost like it's twisting against the natural curves of the fabric.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

I'm glad you like it!

I probably should have drawn this one earlier today. It's a little rushed, but I'm happy with it. But that might just be because hot air balloons are cool. Well, they are hotter than the surrounding air but you know what I mean.

Spoiler
    Show
    The balloons look good! I get kind of a neat space-y, steam-punk vibe from them somehow.

The figures look a little stiff, which pops up in some of your other drawings too. As a result, my suggestion/challenge is to play around with some figure drawing, even if it's just pipe-figures to see what sorts of interesting poses you can get.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    The balloons look good! I get kind of a neat space-y, steam-punk vibe from them somehow.

The figures look a little stiff, which pops up in some of your other drawings too. As a result, my suggestion/challenge is to play around with some figure drawing, even if it's just pipe-figures to see what sorts of interesting poses you can get.
    Well, there is even more of that today. Filth. You are right of course, And I'll see to get it rectified in the future. We'll see what might get done tomorrow.

I'm glad you like the balloons though, I'm actually rather proud of the design if I may say so myself.

Angle on the hoods isn't quite right. Remember, with hoods you've got one 'thick' side which covers the side of the face, and one 'thin' side. This looks almost like it's twisting against the natural curves of the fabric.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I was imagining them to be made of a more rigid material, but you are right, it is a problem, at least with hood folded back.

Today's picture is a Pope with a lobster claw. I don't think that breaks any board rules, but if that's wrong I'll happily remove it myself.

It's based on an insidejoke shared with a good meatspace friend of mine, and a birthday gift. He'll be given the original tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-23 at 03:11 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Another Birthday picture, and also pony fanart, this time for Siuis.

I could make a decent list of the mistakes here. In the future I'll colour black fields with paint, this is rediculous.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Another stealth-update today (but not really in the update sense). I have actually drawn something today, but I've been kept away from the scanner today for daft and unique reasons. Good news is I might have an avatar tomorrow.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-24 at 05:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

And I have an avatar today, albeit a goofy one.

Birthday gift for Even Human.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know what to write here. Which might be appropriate because I had a hard time coming up with what to draw today.

Spoiler
    Show

I will probably try my hand at this motive again at a later point, but not soon.

I am most definitely going to cook up something more ambitious for tomorrow though.

22. - Top - End - #22

I don't know what to write here. Which might be appropriate because I had a hard time coming up with what to draw today.
    If you're ever short of ideas for drawing topics, I have an endless supply of ideas, exercises and challenges.

Hands are a little small on this one. Remember, both hands together should totally cover the surface area of the face.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I will probably try my hand at this motive again at a later point, but not soon.

I am most definitely going to cook up something more ambitious for tomorrow though.
    I think the proportions on the little kid are somewhat off. There's something that seems strange about the head to body ratio, but I can't put my finger on it. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience working with human proportions, because I don't draw many full-body pictures, but I'd suggest you keep in mind that the relative proportions change from infant to child to adult - I'm fairly certain you can find more detailed descriptions of the proper ratios online.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

If you're ever short of ideas for drawing topics, I have an endless supply of ideas, exercises and challenges.

Hands are a little small on this one. Remember, both hands together should totally cover the surface area of the face.
    #1 Do share them. The next time my brain dries up I want to be ready.

#2 It Keeps Happening. Self, what the filth?

I think the proportions on the little kid are somewhat off. There's something that seems strange about the head to body ratio, but I can't put my finger on it. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience working with human proportions, because I don't draw many full-body pictures, but I'd suggest you keep in mind that the relative proportions change from infant to child to adult - I'm fairly certain you can find more detailed descriptions of the proper ratios online.
    It's actually the first time I draw a small child (at least that I can remember), so this shocks noone. I'll remember to actually consult references the next time.

To day's picture I am actually very happy with. It could use some care and attention on the dark fields, but I will count this one a victory.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

#1 Do share them. The next time my brain dries up I want to be ready.
    Here's the off-the-top-of-my-head list:

- Draw a waterfall
    - Draw a supervillain's hideout
    - Draw two characters of different art styles interacting.
    - Draw two characters (mud) wrestling or otherwise tangled.
    - Pick a major emotion (joy, rage, regret) and communicate it through a picture.
    - Draw a character lying.
    - Draw someone who is deliberately misproportioned in one area and normal in the others.
    - Draw all of Thanqol's characters (see how subtle I was putting this one this far down the list?)
    - Draw a character at every stage of a vaulting jump (Standing, starting to run, running, starting to jump, jumping, landing, coming out into a run)
    - Draw a character with significant battle damage.
    - Draw a character with no concept of personal space.
    - Draw an arm wrestle, and a high five.
    - Draw a guy being tied down by tiny people, Gulliver's Travels style,
    - Draw a race in progress
    - Draw someone with their idol
    - Draw Hoity Toity humanised (there's no way to make that guy look bad)
    - Draw someone cheating at gambling
    - Draw a room that reflects a character's mind
    - Draw the personification of the Internet
    - Draw your own soul
    - Draw hope

I can do this forever.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-01-27 at 06:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Those are sure to come in handy, thanks!

So I drew a plane today. I've dubbed it the Supersonic Livingroom for now.

Spoiler
    Show

Wait, I'm going to google that name now and see if anyone has ever used it before.

Aaand noone has. I am a rich and fertile genius. Or just singular in my stupidity.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

You know that thing when you draw one eye and it comes out perfect and then you tear your hair out when you can't get the other one to look the same?

Well guess who never takes such risks and wears a pink bathrobe.

Thiiis Guuuy!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

You know that thing when you draw one eye and it comes out perfect and then you tear your hair out when you can't get the other one to look the same?

Well guess who never takes such risks and wears a pink bathrobe.

Thiiis Guuuy!

Spoiler
    Show
    Ouch!

A couple of thoughts on the face: first, for the visible eye, it seems to be a bit far away from the nose; I would line it up so that the inside of the eye fell somewhere under the initial arc of the eyebrow. I think the ballpark figure thrown around is that the eyes are spaced about an eye width apart, varying of course among individuals. Also, the ear seems to be a bit small in comparison to the head. I would additionally raise the mouth just a touch and make it wider; comparing with a mirror and my own face, the edges of the lips line up pretty nearly with the center of my eyes and are a bit past the nose. Finally, I'm not sure what the protrusion in his mouth is - if it's muscle, I think it needs to be higher and rotated a bit, but if he's holding something (like a tooth, say) it seems alright.

Other than those nitpicks, it looks good; you seem to have a pretty good feel for using shading to help bring out the surfaces of the face, neck and hand which is important in figure drawing (or at least in all the examples I've tried/worked from).

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Ouch!

A couple of thoughts on the face: first, for the visible eye, it seems to be a bit far away from the nose; I would line it up so that the inside of the eye fell somewhere under the initial arc of the eyebrow. I think the ballpark figure thrown around is that the eyes are spaced about an eye width apart, varying of course among individuals. Also, the ear seems to be a bit small in comparison to the head. I would additionally raise the mouth just a touch and make it wider; comparing with a mirror and my own face, the edges of the lips line up pretty nearly with the center of my eyes and are a bit past the nose. Finally, I'm not sure what the protrusion in his mouth is - if it's muscle, I think it needs to be higher and rotated a bit, but if he's holding something (like a tooth, say) it seems alright.

Other than those nitpicks, it looks good; you seem to have a pretty good feel for using shading to help bring out the surfaces of the face, neck and hand which is important in figure drawing (or at least in all the examples I've tried/worked from).
    To answer you all backwards, Thank you very much, I can think of few things more flattering than nitpicks so please spare nothing, and I'll try to keep all of those in mind in the future. The protusion under his mouth in particular is very shameful as I shaded it all backwards.

Today's picture. Alas, Time would not permit me to draw him a few hundred similarly clad buddies.

Spoiler
    Show

That is one aggresively generic banner right there.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

This has been a day of sleepiness and stupidly managed time.

I might add more to this drawing at a later point, it is a little bare.

Spoiler
    Show

I can already hear your gasps. Are those Clouds?! Oh why yes. I think I need to twiddle with contrast settings on the scanner though, light shading that shows nicely on the physical copies tends to disappear on the computer.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-01-31 at 05:46 PM.