New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

Last quarter of the eleventh hour. Living on the edge of tardiness.

I'll probably tinker around with this one in photoshop when I have more time to spare.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-01 at 05:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    Last quarter of the eleventh hour. Living on the edge of tardiness.

I'll probably tinker around with this one in photoshop when I have more time to spare.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not saying it was aliens...BUT...

Anyway, I like this! The one suggestion I'd make is to consider extending the crash damage, maybe having the saucer partly crumpled or something. As it is, it looks a little too intact, but perhaps that's just superhuman engineering at work...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I'm not saying it was aliens...BUT...

Anyway, I like this! The one suggestion I'd make is to consider extending the crash damage, maybe having the saucer partly crumpled or something. As it is, it looks a little too intact, but perhaps that's just superhuman engineering at work...

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I could smash it up worse when I return to it, I'll remember that.

I did another relatively quick sketch too, nothing fancy, not even proper perspective.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

This drawing was originally ment to be something else.

I am not very happy with it, as it sees the return of the tyrannosaurus rex people and some really lackluster shading.

Spoiler
    Show

The Prince's Pirate Girl: Beta.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

This drawing was originally ment to be something else.

I am not very happy with it, as it sees the return of the tyrannosaurus rex people and some really lackluster shading.

Spoiler
    Show

The Prince's Pirate Girl: Beta.
    Ick, the proportions on this one are totally mangled. The neck is as long as the head, the lower body is way too big compared to the upper body, you've already noted the hands, her hips are as wide as her shoulders. I'd really add some proportion practise to your schedule.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Ick, the proportions on this one are totally mangled. The neck is as long as the head, the lower body is way too big compared to the upper body, you've already noted the hands, her hips are as wide as her shoulders. I'd really add some proportion practise to your schedule.
    Yeah, for once I really have no excuse. Could you point me in the direction of anything that was helpful for you on the subject?

Today's picture: They should really be standing in front of a black spacescape in the windows, Which I might at some point.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

...her hips are as wide as her shoulders...
    You're saying that like it's a bad thing.

Spoiler
    Show

Dem drumsticks, yo!
    Last edited by Domochevsky; 2012-02-04 at 05:34 PM.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, for once I really have no excuse. Could you point me in the direction of anything that was helpful for you on the subject?

Today's picture: They should really be standing in front of a black spacescape in the windows, Which I might at some point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Poses still look stiff. My challenge to you is to fill up a page or two with exaggeratedly fluid ball-and-stick people, then pick the best two or three and turn them into finished drawings. Really try to break out and get some wild (but still technically possible) poses!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

9. - Top - End - #39

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Dem drumsticks, yo!
    Derp, I just did a quick comparison against my own anatomy.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Dem drumsticks, yo!
    So my art is officially on the same level as mookie’s now.

I...

BRB, Seppuku.

(Thanks for making this Domo, it amused me greatly for some reason)

Poses still look stiff. My challenge to you is to fill up a page or two with exaggeratedly fluid ball-and-stick people, then pick the best two or three and turn them into finished drawings. Really try to break out and get some wild (but still technically possible) poses!
    Challenge accepted. I'll draw using this method at least for the week.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Challenge accepted. I'll draw using this method at least for the week.

Spoiler
    Show
    As someone who does martial arts, that punch is basically impossible. That guy would fall over the second it was done. Try taking that position yourself, it's ridiculous. When you're punching, both feet should be on the ground and the front knee should be bent. Basic fighting stance looks like this for a very good reason

The other guy's standing better but for the feet angles.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

As someone who does martial arts, that punch is basically impossible. That guy would fall over the second it was done.
    That doesn't mean it's impossible, it just means the guy can't fight
    If you've ever seen guys fighting who aren't trained, there's an awful lot of falling over involved - but if he's meant to know what he's doing listen to Thanqol.

If you go back through Thanqol's draw thread myself and others have linked to some stuff for drawing proportions and poses which will hopefully help.

The biggest thing I'm noticing from all your pictures are:

- Some general proportion issues with the figures, mostly small hands and heads (my own personal foible as well).

- Stiffness/flatness in composition. For instance your Spacescape picture has everybody in an almost direct line. In fact the second from left figure (waving guy) has both his feet in line, and would have to have just walked through arms-behind-back guy to get where he is now. Unless he's doing some kind of sideways moonwalk ,which would be pretty cool as they are in space and would explain the other's expressions

- The ruled bits look really... mechanical(?) compared to the other bits. In your earlier pic of the cargo container there is a very obvious contrast in the free drawn and ruled bits.
    I'd attribute this to line weight mostly, check out the Art Upgrade thread for some exercises on that stuff.

- Everyone is wearing turn-ups.

Now, aside from the pants, these things are easy fixes with practice (which you've clearly got). For example if the perspective of the spacescape was rotated you'd be forced to change the positioning and poses of the figures relative to each other to fit them in.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    If you've ever seen guys fighting who aren't trained, there's an awful lot of falling over involved - but if he's meant to know what he's doing listen to Thanqol.
    I can't cross my room these days without stubbing my toe on a retroactive excuse.

If you go back through Thanqol's draw thread myself and others have linked to some stuff for drawing proportions and poses which will hopefully help.
    I don't think I'm going to have the time this next couple of days to give the subject the attention it deserves. I will this weekend however, hopefully sooner.

The biggest thing I'm noticing from all your pictures are:

- Some general proportion issues with the figures, mostly small hands and heads (my own personal foible as well).
    This is comforting. I like to think I'm getting the hang of it, albeit slowly.

- Stiffness/flatness in composition. For instance your Spacescape picture has everybody in an almost direct line. In fact the second from left figure (waving guy) has both his feet in line, and would have to have just walked through arms-behind-back guy to get where he is now. Unless he's doing some kind of sideways moonwalk ,which would be pretty cool as they are in space and would explain the other's expressions
    This is the best interpretation, on all levels. Original idea was that leftmost guy had been following the young man closely and then turned towards the window, but there were a thousand and one better ways to portray this.

I make things to easy for me, when it comes to angles and viewpoints. You are most definately right, I need to challenge myself with more advanced compositions.

- The ruled bits look really... mechanical(?) compared to the other bits. In your earlier pic of the cargo container there is a very obvious contrast in the free drawn and ruled bits.
    I'd attribute this to line weight mostly, check out the Art Upgrade thread for some exercises on that stuff.
    I'll keep that in mind, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the clip, that was great. Bad habit, I will stop that.

Now, aside from the pants, these things are easy fixes with practice (which you've clearly got). For example if the perspective of the spacescape was rotated you'd be forced to change the positioning and poses of the figures relative to each other to fit them in.
    Aye, aye.

Thanks a million for the feedback. If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason for your commenting now?

I drew an aztec jaguar warrior today. This is definately a motive I'll revisit in colour, it screams out for it.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

I drew an aztec jaguar warrior today. This is definately a motive I'll revisit in colour, it screams out for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take a good long look at where that knee is.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think I'm going to have the time this next couple of days to give the subject the attention it deserves. I will this weekend however, hopefully sooner.
    Two links I shall provide now are this great pic of facial proportions:

Spoiler
    Show

And a link to Bittersweetdisease's Deviantart series on anatomical drawing.

This is comforting. I like to think I'm getting the hang of it, albeit slowly.
    They're at least consistant errors, so are much easier to focus on in some ways. Your drawing of clothing is generally very good too

This is the best interpretation, on all levels. Original idea was that leftmost guy had been following the young man closely and then turned towards the window, but there were a thousand and one better ways to portray this.

I make things to easy for me, when it comes to angles and viewpoints. You are most definately right, I need to challenge myself with more advanced compositions.
    It's one of those things that gets easier as other skills develop.

I'll keep that in mind, I'll check it out.
    Join us, Saeyan (and all the others) is doing a great thing there for artists of any and all levels

Thanks for the clip, that was great. Bad habit, I will stop that.
    I think it's also a thing that becomes easier with more practice. For instance it was only a couple of days I drew a b&w picture with someone wearing patterned clothing, which has only come with working on my shading a helluva lot lately.

Thanks a million for the feedback. If you don't mind me asking, is there a particular reason for your commenting now?
    Part of it is that I wanted to see more of your work before saying anything, as it looked like you had a definite style and weren't just putting stuff out there to explore any style you felt like (as Thanqol is).

Also, would you believe I was busy? Well, that and I ended up in hospital and they thought I'd had a stroke or something but then I hadn't so yeah. Busy

Spoiler
    Show
    The angle on his hat is wonky as we can see both the jaguar's eyes and the front of its nose, but the warrior's face is much more in profile.

I think his right thigh is a little longer than his left, which is making him look odd in the legs. The lower right leg is almost perfectly square on, especially the foot, which is sapping some of the dynamism the rest of the figue is bringing.

His suit (?) has a lot of volume to it with the folds, seams and creases. It probably should have some texture added to it, but that's soemthing I need to learn so you're on your own with that one
    His right hand grip is half right - the handle is going at a good cross-grip angle, but his fingers are still like he's got a hammer grip going (or if it is meant to be a hammer grip, he's either broken his wrist or is about to).

Pics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cross grip:

Hammer grip:

Other good pics here (scroll down).
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Thanqol, Zorg, I'm a little bit pressed for time, and I'll respond to you tomorrow.

Tuesdays are stupid and I don't get home until nine o'clock.

I decided to draw something hopefully more simple and time conservative to get it up before midnight, but that didn't work out.

So I'll just put the halfdone picture here. On the plus side, this means I will be given an unique opportunity to correct any faults you could name tomorrow when I finish it!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Two links I shall provide now are this great pic of facial proportions:

Spoiler
    Show

And a link to Bittersweetdisease's Deviantart series on anatomical drawing.
    These are beyond helpful, I'll get to them as soon as possible.

They're at least consistant errors, so are much easier to focus on in some ways. Your drawing of clothing is generally very good too

It's one of those things that gets easier as other skills develop.
    Relieving and egoboosting, thanks.

Join us, Saeyan (and all the others) is doing a great thing there for artists of any and all levels
    You'll have to wait a few days, but I will.

Part of it is that I wanted to see more of your work before saying anything, as it looked like you had a definite style and weren't just putting stuff out there to explore any style you felt like (as Thanqol is).

Also, would you believe I was busy? Well, that and I ended up in hospital and they thought I'd had a stroke or something but then I hadn't so yeah. Busy
    I would believe that, and I'm glad to hear you are alright.

To be frank, I've never ever thought of anything as my style. If someone were to ask me to describe it I wouldn't know where to start.

The angle on his hat is wonky as we can see both the jaguar's eyes and the front of its nose, but the warrior's face is much more in profile.

I think his right thigh is a little longer than his left, which is making him look odd in the legs.
    I persume this is what Thanqol was refering to. Duly noted.

The lower right leg is almost perfectly square on, especially the foot, which is sapping some of the dynamism the rest of the figue is bringing.
    I feel ashamed not to have figured this out myself.

His right hand grip is half right - the handle is going at a good cross-grip angle, but his fingers are still like he's got a hammer grip going (or if it is meant to be a hammer grip, he's either broken his wrist or is about to).

Pics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cross grip:

Hammer grip:

Other good pics here (scroll down).
    So would this be better?

Spoiler
    Show

This unintentionally became a very light grip, I should have drawn the thumb pressed flat(ter).

And yesterday's picture, now finished.

Spoiler
    Show

A human and his two yehat pals, Star Control Fanart.

Upon retrospect:

#I think the knees are too low

#Left arm is a bit too long

#I shaded the background all backwards

#Somebody needs to come up with a lower body for the Yehat.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

So guess what arrived today.

Spoiler
    Show

And by god am I terrible with this thing. I messed around with it for some hour, creating a couple of scribbles unfit for showing. I'm considering drawing the some picture twice, first on the tablet, and then on paper with my left hand just to compare the results.

After a while I drew this just to have an excuse to mess about with colours.

Spoiler
    Show

And now I honestly have no idea what to do. I was hoping you guys could give your opinion on this.

Either I start studying human anatomy on a deeper level as originally planned, and explore this new medium later, or sparingly, or I try to learn the ropes on my new toy as soon as possible, putting the previous plans on hold. Tangling with both at the same time honestly sounds like more than I can handle.

Either way, there is now a completely new field within visual art I need to study the theory of. If there are any tips or tutorials you think would be helpful, I urge you to share them.

19. - Top - End - #49

And now I honestly have no idea what to do. I was hoping you guys could give your opinion on this.

Either I start studying human anatomy on a deeper level as originally planned, and explore this new medium later, or sparingly, or I try to learn the ropes on my new toy as soon as possible, putting the previous plans on hold. Tangling with both at the same time honestly sounds like more than I can handle.

Either way, there is now a completely new field within visual art I need to study the theory of. If there are any tips or tutorials you think would be helpful, I urge you to share them.
    I feel your pain. The transition is not easy.

However, and we're 100% in what-works for me territory, I think that by far the best way to adapt is to experiment. Do your linework as normal, then bust out the colours and accept that you're going to completely ruin your linework. That's the cost of doing business. For the first hundred or so days, just ruin everything and don't stress about it.

Every time you experiment, you learn something useful, even if the experiment itself turns out as a mess. An over-blurred combination of paints can make a good water effect; watercolour shading proves surprisingly good for colouring eyes, etc.

Either way, I advocate making the jump as fast and completely as possible. The more time you spend on the tablet the faster you'll adapt to it.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

However, and we're 100% in what-works for me territory, I think that by far the best way to adapt is to experiment. Do your linework as normal, then bust out the colours and accept that you're going to completely ruin your linework. That's the cost of doing business. For the first hundred or so days, just ruin everything and don't stress about it.

Every time you experiment, you learn something useful, even if the experiment itself turns out as a mess. An over-blurred combination of paints can make a good water effect; watercolour shading proves surprisingly good for colouring eyes, etc.

Either way, I advocate making the jump as fast and completely as possible. The more time you spend on the tablet the faster you'll adapt to it.
    Word.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Would you guys mind if I would upload both the pencildrawn and the coloured pictures if I did this?

I didn't touch the tablet and only had time for something quick today because of daft timemanagement.

For this picture more than anything I was aiming not to repeat old mistakes, and payed a little more attention to clothing than usual.

Spoiler
    Show

A couple of faults I notice on the boy, for one his nose ends much too soon, and second there is something off with the arm leaning to the wall, although I can't put my finger on exactly what.

22. - Top - End - #52

Would you guys mind if I would upload both the pencildrawn and the coloured pictures if I did this?
    Why would we mind? It's your learning. We can advise but it's ultimately your choice.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Banned

Well, my birthday is within a month, so that should work out smartly.

EDIT: No reason to doublepost, so i'll just bake todays picture in here.

This one I'm not quite as happy with, but, lessons. I'm thinking of messing about in photoshop soon to see how I can improve a pencildrawing with just a mouse. Also nail down resizing, this is getting pretentious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lady's legs. Either the model is used to carrying weight without resisting, causing the entire structure of the leg to bend inwards and exert the least possible amount of energy, or they are drawn funny.

Having seen people do this all the time in real life makes me unsure.

quarter past ten, local time. Late, but not too late.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanqol, just wanted to hear with you about this. Before you changed avatars I was actually planning to draw a cartoonified avatar version of this gentleman in a kindof chibi style not unlike the one you are using now. Would you be okay with me doing that now?

Unrelated, I became angry at myself over how freakishly small the samurai's hands became, so I fixed it today. I added some straps while i was at it. I don't think I'm going to make a habit of this sort of edits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stiff. Your first figure is very stiff.

As for the samurai, the armor isn't correct but that's trivial. Look up nihon katchu seisakuban. It's a site for making the armor, for use on SCA fields (who wear historical armor, use non-historical sticks, and beat each other up).

Again though, it's a matter of whether it's important or not. As is, you've done a muh better job than some professionals of depicting the samurai armor.

The balloons look good! I get kind of a neat space-y, steam-punk vibe from them somehow.

The figures look a little stiff, which pops up in some of your other drawings too. As a result, my suggestion/challenge is to play around with some figure drawing, even if it's just pipe-figures to see what sorts of interesting poses you can get.
    Hm. I think...

Another Birthday picture, and also pony fanart, this time for Siuis.

I could make a decent list of the mistakes here. In the future I'll colour black fields with paint, this is rediculous.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Another stealth-update today (but not really in the update sense). I have actually drawn something today, but I've been kept away from the scanner today for daft and unique reasons. Good news is I might have an avatar tomorrow.
    I demand that you and Sean Mirrsen exchange names so I will stop being wrong about who is who!

But in all seriousness, thanks. This is awesome.

I don't know what to write here. Which might be appropriate because I had a hard time coming up with what to draw today.

Spoiler
    Show

I will probably try my hand at this motive again at a later point, but not soon.

I am most definitely going to cook up something more ambitious for tomorrow though.
    yeah. I see your problem.
    Legs, and specifically knees. You can do them very well.

I prescribe that you edge away from the detail for a bit and just work on the lines that represent the underlying mechanics. Draw a lot of legs on some pages, in a lot of angles. Or more, draw folks from the waist down, only. Really grind on how legs work. Look at a lot of references, and mentally peel back the skin and tissue, and get to know the meat and bones that make up this lovely half of the whole.

Legs are an issue with a lot of folks, because almost all media presents things in portraits, cutting off the leg. A couple days of skimming swimsuit models should fix that right up.

And while this sounds joking, I am dead serious. You may as well draw legs you enjoy, right?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

This one goes up a few minutes late unfortunately.

Why would we mind? It's your learning. We can advise but it's ultimately your choice.
    Gosh Thanqol, you make it sound like this is my thread or something. I feel silly.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Lady's legs. Either the model is used to carrying weight without resisting, causing the entire structure of the leg to bend inwards and exert the least possible amount of energy, or they are drawn funny.

Having seen people do this all the time in real life makes me unsure.
    What makes you think I was using a model? :B Thank you for pointing this out though, I'll look deeper into it.

Stiff. Your first figure is very stiff.
    Working on that.
    As for the samurai, the armor isn't correct but that's trivial. Look up nihon katchu seisakuban. It's a site for making the armor, for use on SCA fields (who wear historical armor, use non-historical sticks, and beat each other up).

Again though, it's a matter of whether it's important or not. As is, you've done a muh better job than some professionals of depicting the samurai armor.
    Cool site. For what it's worth I was using this as a reference. http://www.spaciousplanet.com/images...118518462.jpeg In particular then the rightmost suit. I had never drawn a samurai before, and didn't really study the subject at enough debt.

Hm. I think...
    Hmm.

yeah. I see your problem.
    Legs, and specifically knees. You can do them very well.

I prescribe that you edge away from the detail for a bit and just work on the lines that represent the underlying mechanics. Draw a lot of legs on some pages, in a lot of angles. Or more, draw folks from the waist down, only. Really grind on how legs work. Look at a lot of references, and mentally peel back the skin and tissue, and get to know the meat and bones that make up this lovely half of the whole.

Legs are an issue with a lot of folks, because almost all media presents things in portraits, cutting off the leg. A couple days of skimming swimsuit models should fix that right up.

And while this sounds joking, I am dead serious. You may as well draw legs you enjoy, right?
    I'll try to give this the attention it deserves, but it will have to wait a bit.

Today's picture got so stupidly rushed. I tried to apply some of the information in zorg's links, but ultimately, the biggest lessons today are on stupid time management.

Spoiler
    Show

I need a dummies' guide to layers and colour theory in photoshop badly. Shading in photoshop feels unflexible and messy compared to physical paints.

And I got nitpicky at the start and then made a rushjob of the rest. Blurh.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

More forays into layers and painting today, none of which wil be shown. Tinypic failed to upload coloured version. I will persevere, Hopefully it will be up tomorrow.

The pencil drawn version, until then.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Breaking news! Proto-artist fails to properly shade white. This update is quite late, but I think the results were worth the extra time.

First things first, the coloured version of yesterday's Maori warrior. It got blurry, but I will count it as progress.

Spoiler
    Show

And todays work.

Pencil sketch

Spoiler
    Show

And coloured

Spoiler
    Show

I deformed their faces something fierce, but I am happy enough with the colours and their clothes to forgive myself.

And Druid droid, I broke my promise to you. I'll make up for that tomorrow.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-13 at 06:49 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Hips being wider than shoulders is actually the standard for women. Now the fact that her hips are as wide, currently, S the shoulders on her shoulder-enhancing jacket...

Following the lines of the legs (because I think that is where you should focus, currently) they don't actually connect to her pelvis at all, but join high in the womb area. It would be mitigated if she were shorter, and had turned out knees (horse stance) but...

This is true, but you cannot punch from the shoulder like this without training (human nature is to swing) and you cannot develop force author driving from the back leg. The punch shown would be more of a slap; we can only assume Uke dude is dodging, not being punched.

If you look at the Tori (the guy who is punching) you will see that from his foot rises a line towards the head. That line then breaks, and goes through Ito the punching arm, and that break in the line is where you bleed all of your power.

Boxing and chinese arts use circles, but those are a combination of straight forces as one circle moves against another anatomically, creating dynamic force.

This. Do this. I find myself doing this. Thanqol's thread, the ur thread, the art thread progenitor, has all of the experience that was given before there was any other outlet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Look at his left leg. Now look at his left foot. He is lunging. That is horribly ucofmortable, even as a transitional stance.

Now turn his left foot outward about 30 degrees (from the 9 o'clock position to the 7 o'clock position, say). Suddenly, the appearance of the body weight shifts and he is in a low, per-lunge stance, about to rise into a stab.

This unintentionally became a very light grip, I should have drawn the thumb pressed flat(ter).
    Random tidbit time!
    The grip as you have it does not require a flatter thumb, but a smaller circumference of the pinkie and ring fingers. Japanese sword work uses this grip, with the thumb for guidance.

The hammer grip is as Zorg said, and often seen when the hands are "choked up" on an object, like a baseball bat. The cross grip does not necessarily require the forefinger extended like in the picture. The loose grip is often used when pointing at someone as an affectation, such as when pointing the weapon and issuing a challenge. Beware the man who points a weapon at you but does not loose his grip.

Thanqol, I hate you.

Breaking news! Proto-artist fails to properly shade white. This update is quite late, but I think the results were worth the extra time.

First things first, the coloured version of yesterday's Maori warrior. It got blurry, but I will count it as progress.

Spoiler
    Show

And todays work.

Pencil sketch

Spoiler
    Show

And coloured

Spoiler
    Show

I deformed their faces something fierce, but I am happy enough with the colours and their clothes to forgive myself.

And Druid droid, I broke my promise to you. I'll make up for that tomorrow.
    Very well done. The man on the right suffers from pants-only syndrome though. It looks like you drew lines under the pants for guidance, but no actual meat.

-

Ok, Thanqol, I leave it to you to play Bad Cop. I am going to offer the lazy path that is the usual tool o Good Cop.

Aquila Dei, stop. Stop forcing yourself to draw every day. If your time drawing is interfering with your time of integrating new knowledge and techniques, you do yourself a disservice. Every picture drawn incorrectly roots those ad habits deeper. Instead of drawing things you know to have problems, integrate new ideas so we can discover new problems after the old are fixed.

for example, legs. Everyone has said your legs need work. I feel you has more to gain figuring out how to fix that, whether or not you draw and post, than you have to gain by drawing every day, if those drawing propitiate that same bad habit over and over.

Practice makes habit. Perfect practice makes perfect. Each mistake requires 20 consecutive perfect iterations (or so, the neurology is different for each individual) just to undo that bad habit before setting the good habit in.

My path is the path of sloth. I don't draw pictures below a certain minimum quality. The downside is that means I often just don't draw. do what needs to be done, either way. But consider all the variables first.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Ok, Thanqol, I leave it to you to play Bad Cop. I am going to offer the lazy path that is the usual tool o Good Cop.

Aquila Dei, stop. Stop forcing yourself to draw every day.
    This is the worst advice and I'm actively disappointed in you for suggesting it. Not drawing doesn't make you better at drawing; it can't. Correcting mistakes requires active effort. Noticing mistakes and applying active effort to correcting them is the way to overcome those flaws.

Not drawing legs won't make you better at drawing legs. Drawing lots of legs with the dedicated intention of fixing your legs will make you better at drawing legs.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-14 at 03:32 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

I did draw something today, really, but the scanner is being tempramental and I've already whined about late tuesdays here before. Siuis, Thanqol, I find myself to tired to respond to you at this moment. Good night.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Banned

This is the worst advice and I'm actively disappointed in you for suggesting it. Not drawing doesn't make you better at drawing; it can't. Correcting mistakes requires active effort. Noticing mistakes and applying active effort to correcting them is the way to overcome those flaws.

Not drawing legs won't make you better at drawing legs. Drawing lots of legs with the dedicated intention of fixing your legs will make you better at drawing legs.
    Not drawing legs won't make you better. Drawing legs as an off-hand thing while focusing on something else will actively make you worse at legs. Why put off till tomorrow what an be done today, aye? If you notice a problem, it is better to clear your slate than to continually tell yourself the problem isn't quite high enough priority to address.

Going in and drawing legs to get legs done is what I'm suggesting. I'm just saying don't give yoursel the excuse not to.

I did draw something today, really, but the scanner is being tempramental and I've already whined about late tuesdays here before. Siuis, Thanqol, I find myself to tired to respond to you at this moment. Good night.
    No worries. It is your thread after all.

EDIT: actually, after a bit of thought, Thanqol is right. I'm suggesting a specialized tool, and if I continue I'd be arguing its merits in a vacuum as opposed to how useful it would be for you, Aquila. and whether or not it's useful in theory, I don't have the output to be a serious example. I've got literally no place to stand with this.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-02-14 at 11:08 PM.