New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Hips being wider than shoulders is actually the standard for women. Now the fact that her hips are as wide, currently, S the shoulders on her shoulder-enhancing jacket...

Following the lines of the legs (because I think that is where you should focus, currently) they don't actually connect to her pelvis at all, but join high in the womb area. It would be mitigated if she were shorter, and had turned out knees (horse stance) but...
    You know, I have been way to insecure about seriously boning up on anatomy. It's much more cowardly to draw a picture to look complete every day rather than showing of the results of a relatively unimpressive exercise. I intend to change that now, however.

This is true, but you cannot punch from the shoulder like this without training (human nature is to swing) and you cannot develop force author driving from the back leg. The punch shown would be more of a slap; we can only assume Uke dude is dodging, not being punched.

If you look at the Tori (the guy who is punching) you will see that from his foot rises a line towards the head. That line then breaks, and goes through Ito the punching arm, and that break in the line is where you bleed all of your power.

Boxing and chinese arts use circles, but those are a combination of straight forces as one circle moves against another anatomically, creating dynamic force.
    My head is full of fu. Kung-fu.

This. Do this. I find myself doing this. Thanqol's thread, the ur thread, the art thread progenitor, has all of the experience that was given before there was any other outlet.
    It's high on my to-do list.

Look at his left leg. Now look at his left foot. He is lunging. That is horribly ucofmortable, even as a transitional stance.

Now turn his left foot outward about 30 degrees (from the 9 o'clock position to the 7 o'clock position, say). Suddenly, the appearance of the body weight shifts and he is in a low, per-lunge stance, about to rise into a stab.

Random tidbit time!
    The grip as you have it does not require a flatter thumb, but a smaller circumference of the pinkie and ring fingers. Japanese sword work uses this grip, with the thumb for guidance.

The hammer grip is as Zorg said, and often seen when the hands are "choked up" on an object, like a baseball bat. The cross grip does not necessarily require the forefinger extended like in the picture. The loose grip is often used when pointing at someone as an affectation, such as when pointing the weapon and issuing a challenge. Beware the man who points a weapon at you but does not loose his grip.
    I'll remember to refer back to this the next time.

Thanqol, I hate you.
    He was here first.

Very well done. The man on the right suffers from pants-only syndrome though. It looks like you drew lines under the pants for guidance, but no actual meat.
    Do you think this is a problem only in the coloured version or in the sketch also?

Ok, Thanqol, I leave it to you to play Bad Cop. I am going to offer the lazy path that is the usual tool o Good Cop.

Aquila Dei, stop. Stop forcing yourself to draw every day. SNIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    This is the worst advice and I'm actively disappointed in you for suggesting it. Not drawing doesn't make you better at drawing; it can't. Correcting mistakes requires active effort. Noticing mistakes and applying active effort to correcting them is the way to overcome those flaws.

Not drawing legs won't make you better at drawing legs. Drawing lots of legs with the dedicated intention of fixing your legs will make you better at drawing legs.
    SNIP Going in and drawing legs to get legs done is what I'm suggesting. I'm just saying don't give yoursel the excuse not to.

EDIT: actually, after a bit of thought, Thanqol is right. I'm suggesting a specialized tool, and if I continue I'd be arguing its merits in a vacuum as opposed to how useful it would be for you, Aquila. and whether or not it's useful in theory, I don't have the output to be a serious example. I've got literally no place to stand with this.
    Momentary madnesses EVERYWHERE.

Regal honour isn't something you have, It's something you maintain. I can promise you that I will focus on the legs more in the future, but backing down in this manner isn't an option. That would mean Thanqol wiiins.

I haven't been touching the tablet this last two days, and while I have been studying some theory, I haven't been doing many dedicated exercises to improve. Yet.

Yesterday's picture.

Spoiler
    Show

The fact that my friend recently acquired the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft and the character of Daring Do are invading my subconcious, I think.

Spoiler
    Show

And in other news, I can't draw a face properly in any sort of challenging angle.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-15 at 06:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Not drawing legs won't make you better. Drawing legs as an off-hand thing while focusing on something else will actively make you worse at legs. Why put off till tomorrow what an be done today, aye? If you notice a problem, it is better to clear your slate than to continually tell yourself the problem isn't quite high enough priority to address.

Going in and drawing legs to get legs done is what I'm suggesting. I'm just saying don't give yoursel the excuse not to.
    I'm more inclined to agree with this thought. If the principle you're expressing is 'don't force yourself to draw a finished piece every day' then that has merit; there's a lot to be said for just drawing a page full of eyes, hands, or mouths. I actually should be doing more like that; part of the intention behind Dragon Month was to get an understanding of variations on one concept.

EDIT: actually, after a bit of thought, Thanqol is right.
    And don't you forget it!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    You know, I have been way to insecure about seriously boning up on anatomy. It's much more cowardly to draw a picture to look complete every day rather than showing of the results of a relatively unimpressive exercise. I intend to change that now, however.
    Good thought, and it's true. Doing something which is a genuine exercise isn't fun, it feels like hard work and practise and it produces something you instinctively make excuses for. Despite this, it's absolutely worth it. There is no substitute for hard practise.

He was here first.
    AND WILL BE HERE LAST! I am the Alpha and the Omega and yet I do not exist!

Regal honour isn't something you have, It's something you maintain. I can promise you that I will focus on the legs more in the future, but backing down in this manner isn't an option. That would mean Thanqol wiiins.
    That's what I like to hear.

Spoiler
    Show

The fact that my friend recently acquired the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft and the character of Daring Do are invading my subconcious, I think.
    I like this, particularly the guy in the jacket. Even if his fingers seem to be sinking into that wall? Or that wall really is 2cm thick and it's somehow casting pure black shadows behind it?

The monster, though, has no weight, or threat. It barely impacts the picture. Try playing with blacks, greys, and shading levels, especially on the tablet. A faint, almost invisible violet line on black, for instance, creates a powerful silhouette. Experiment!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

I'm more inclined to agree with this thought. If the principle you're expressing is 'don't force yourself to draw a finished piece every day' then that has merit; there's a lot to be said for just drawing a page full of eyes, hands, or mouths. I actually should be doing more like that; part of the intention behind Dragon Month was to get an understanding of variations on one concept.
    I'll try to cram these exercises into my shorter free time windows.

Good thought, and it's true. Doing something which is a genuine exercise isn't fun, it feels like hard work and practise and it produces something you instinctively make excuses for. Despite this, it's absolutely worth it. There is no substitute for hard practise.
    Expect lots of legs in the next work week, if not sooner.

I like this, particularly the guy in the jacket. Even if his fingers seem to be sinking into that wall? Or that wall really is 2cm thick and it's somehow casting pure black shadows behind it?
    He was supposed to be opening a tall door to the outside, hence the extreme lighting. The lesson to learn here is not to rub genre convention against the grain for stupid reasons: Ancient temples don't have thin wood panel doors.

The monster, though, has no weight, or threat. It barely impacts the picture. Try playing with blacks, greys, and shading levels, especially on the tablet. A faint, almost invisible violet line on black, for instance, creates a powerful silhouette. Experiment!
    Will do.

Today hasn't been outragously productive. I've begun to work my way through BittersweetDisease's anatomy tutorial. I might skip ahead to part 4 (legs) tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-16 at 06:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Today hasn't been outragously productive. I've begun to work my way through BittersweetDisease's anatomy tutorial. I might skip ahead to part 4 (legs) tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm no expert on anatomy, but this looks pretty solid, proportion-wise, barring any real nit-picking. I do notice that his thumb's on the wrong side when he's grabbing his knee though.

EDIT: On second thought, the legs on the sitting figures might be a hair short. Just a thought.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-02-16 at 11:38 PM.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

This. This is exactly what I meant! If putting out a picture that is 'good enough' every day gets in the way of actually learning, it is my job to harass you until you get it. I'm doing a half-ass job because I don't want to re-develop that persona, but attacking people for taking the easy way out is... Or, was what I would do.

Do you think this is a problem only in the coloured version or in the sketch also?
    The colored version looks better because the color adds a shift in depth and how the eye reads it. But yes, the sketch is the problem.

Generally, you want to 'flesh out' the body before putting clothes on it. I can see subtle improvement since, as I believe your shift in attention has already paid dividends in how you structure legs.

Backing down? No. but the infantryman who walks blindly into cannon fire isn't doing his duty, he's walking blindly into cannon fire. Are you doing an art thread to put out art or to improve yourself? Because if it's number two, then doing only number one is a waste of time. Your duty as Prince is to uphold your word in spirit and letter. Using the letter to thwart the spirit... Well, we. Other know you know better

Besides, Thanqol has already won. You're playing his game. Thanqol wins is the seventeenth rule; far enough down the list that you won't see it without detailed analysis.

Yesterday's picture.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

And in other news, I can't draw a face properly in any sort of challenging angle.
    Interesting. As I said, the legs are better. That was pretty much all I can give you; I'm pretty out of it right now. Apparently flus are contagious. And now I have one. ><

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I'm no expert on anatomy, but this looks pretty solid, proportion-wise, barring any real nit-picking. I do notice that his thumb's on the wrong side when he's grabbing his knee though.

EDIT: On second thought, the legs on the sitting figures might be a hair short. Just a thought.
    A little bit. The legs look a touch flat, in that the far right figure doesn't have the same sense of three-dimensionality as the rest.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-02-17 at 03:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

This. This is exactly what I meant! If putting out a picture that is 'good enough' every day gets in the way of actually learning, it is my job to harass you until you get it. I'm doing a half-ass job because I don't want to re-develop that persona, but attacking people for taking the easy way out is... Or, was what I would do.
    Harass away, spinach-flavoured hypocrite.

The colored version looks better because the color adds a shift in depth and how the eye reads it. But yes, the sketch is the problem.

Generally, you want to 'flesh out' the body before putting clothes on it. I can see subtle improvement since, as I believe your shift in attention has already paid dividends in how you structure legs.
    Since I usually do do that, I'm going to call it an isolated derp.

Backing down? No. but the infantryman who walks blindly into cannon fire isn't doing his duty, he's walking blindly into cannon fire. Are you doing an art thread to put out art or to improve yourself? Because if it's number two, then doing only number one is a waste of time. Your duty as Prince is to uphold your word in spirit and letter. Using the letter to thwart the spirit... Well, we. Other know you know better
    I think you are misunderstanding me. I have been letting number one blind me from number two, but that's what I'm changing now. Not producing a finished drawing every day is an option, not updating the thread daily isn't.

Besides, Thanqol has already won. You're playing his game. Thanqol wins is the seventeenth rule; far enough down the list that you won't see it without detailed analysis.
    Life is a red queen's race and Thanqol is God. So what else is new?

Interesting. As I said, the legs are better. That was pretty much all I can give you; I'm pretty out of it right now. Apparently flus are contagious. And now I have one. ><
    Get better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post

A little bit. The legs look a touch flat, in that the far right figure doesn't have the same sense of three-dimensionality as the rest.
    You are right about the leg length, but specifically on the hand holding the knee, I think that is quite open, as it isn't shown very clearly which knee is held up.

On today's update, I think Bittersweet exaggerates how bent the bones in our legs are in her illustrations, but I will compare with the real deal in school at the first opportunity.

Spoiler
    Show

Tomorrow I'll delve a deeper into the muscles in the leg, as well as stop the tablet from gathering dust.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-17 at 06:28 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Today I made a few more anatomy sketches, as well as an attempt to colour one of my pictures from a while ago.

Spoiler
    Show

And this has been an exercise in inarticulate rage. Using photoshop elements 8.0, I'm feeling like the lame kid who still uses internet explorer while his machine is burning. This woeful piece of drek can't even adjust opacity levels intelligently.

So, I call out to you all. I am in desperate need of well functioning, free drawing software, and I want your recommendations.

8. - Top - End - #68

Today I made a few more anatomy sketches, as well as an attempt to colour one of my pictures from a while ago.

Spoiler
    Show

And this has been an exercise in inarticulate rage. Using photoshop elements 8.0, I'm feeling like the lame kid who still uses internet explorer while his machine is burning. This woeful piece of drek can't even adjust opacity levels intelligently.

So, I call out to you all. I am in desperate need of well functioning, free drawing software, and I want your recommendations.
    Ah, Elements 8.0. The Photoshop I possess and similarly loathe.

I'll give you the short version: I hate all free drawing programs. They're all limited in some critical way. The free stuff movement, while admirable, ultimately can't do everything you need it to. I've used half a dozen of them and liked none of them.

In the end, the program for me is Paint Tool SAI. It's $50 or so if you buy it from the internet, but it's got a simple and effective interface and I find myself wanting for nothing. All the stuff makes sense and it's where you'd expect it to be. It does what I need it to do and it was entirely worth the sticker price.

SAI has a 40 day free trial; give it a look. I know paying for stuff isn't cool on the internet, but you're going to be spending hundreds and hundreds of hours into this. You're going to be putting a lot of time into mastering whatever tool you chose, so chose your tool wisely. Compared to the time investment inherent in learning to draw the financial cost is negligible.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-18 at 06:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally I find GIMP and Inkscape to cover anything I need to do. That said I don't own a tablet, so I have no idea how well they work when you actually plan on drawing things, but at least with a mouse I've been able to do anything I've needed to do.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Personally I find GIMP and Inkscape to cover anything I need to do. That said I don't own a tablet, so I have no idea how well they work when you actually plan on drawing things, but at least with a mouse I've been able to do anything I've needed to do.
    Yes, I can see that those programs would be good for drawing with a mouse. On the other hoof, that's like drawing everything with a ballpoint pen.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-18 at 07:06 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I can see that those programs would be good for drawing with a mouse. On the other hoof, that's like drawing everything with a ballpoint pen.
    To be fair SiuiS can do really well with a pen.

Either way you're the one with a tablet, so I'll just take your word that GIMP and/or Inkscape aren't really any good for that.

12. - Top - End - #72

To be fair SiuiS can do really well with a pen.

Either way you're the one with a tablet, so I'll just take your word that GIMP and/or Inkscape aren't really any good for that.
    I'm not saying you can't do good stuff with just a ballpoint pen.

I'm saying you're fundamentally limited in what you can do with only a ballpoint pen.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of 50 bucks investment... openCanvas+ has a 30 days trial and is what i use. Might wanna give it a shot as well, while Thanqol is pimping his tool of choice. Options and all that.

(And yes, paint.NET, GIMP and Inkscape are all insufficient due to their inherent lack of pressure sensitivity.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

14. - Top - End - #74

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Speaking of 50 bucks investment... openCanvas+ has a 30 days trial and is what i use. Might wanna give it a shot as well, while Thanqol is pimping his tool of choice. Options and all that.

(And yes, paint.NET, GIMP and Inkscape are all insufficient due to their inherent lack of pressure sensitivity.)
    That said, paint.NET is fantastic at smoothly resizing things. Whenever I need to crop or edit an image's size I go to that program.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

I'll give you the short version: I hate all free drawing programs. They're all limited in some critical way. The free stuff movement, while admirable, ultimately can't do everything you need it to. I've used half a dozen of them and liked none of them.

In the end, the program for me is Paint Tool SAI. It's $50 or so if you buy it from the internet, but it's got a simple and effective interface and I find myself wanting for nothing. All the stuff makes sense and it's where you'd expect it to be. It does what I need it to do and it was entirely worth the sticker price.

SAI has a 40 day free trial; give it a look. I know paying for stuff isn't cool on the internet, but you're going to be spending hundreds and hundreds of hours into this. You're going to be putting a lot of time into mastering whatever tool you chose, so chose your tool wisely. Compared to the time investment inherent in learning to draw the financial cost is negligible.
    I'm not really too cool to pay for my stuff usually. But the free trial will most definately be investigated.

I am sure they are worth experimenting at the very least, especially if they are free...

Nevermind then! Well, I'll try openCanvas after PaintTool and make the decision afterwards.

Not much special today, just more anatomy sketches. Tomorrow I'll make something more complete, or start investigating some painting program.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT:
    That said, paint.NET is fantastic at smoothly resizing things. Whenever I need to crop or edit an image's size I go to that program.
    I'll note this down.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-19 at 06:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Once again, I don't have a tablet so I can't test any of this, but a quick search suggests that both GIMP and Inkscape have pressure sensitivity capabilities. They're just turned off by default and require and bit of configuring to get them working.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Once again, I don't have a tablet so I can't test any of this, but a quick search suggests that both GIMP and Inkscape have pressure sensitivity capabilities. They're just turned off by default and require and bit of configuring to get them working.
    I'll investigate if this goes for paint.NET too. Whatever the case, I'll check all of 'em out. Was it Inkscape that needed the compulsive saving to ward against crashes? Or was that All Of Them?

Nothing outragous today, just a relatively quick sketch. For some reason the outlines got really stupid and fuzzy. Another lesson, I guess.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Another day, more exercises in basic anatomy.

Spoiler
    Show

I feel the need to apologize in advance, tomorrow's picture will have to be a rushjob even by my standards, as I'll be otherwise occupied for most of the day.

19. - Top - End - #79

I'll investigate if this goes for paint.NET too. Whatever the case, I'll check all of 'em out. Was it Inkscape that needed the compulsive saving to ward against crashes? Or was that All Of Them?
    That's all of them. SAI has only crashed on me once, and even then it was kinda my fault, but it's the kind of thing you want to get in the habit of anyway. Ctrl-s whenever you make a new layer is a good rule of thumb.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

That's all of them. SAI has only crashed on me once, and even then it was kinda my fault, but it's the kind of thing you want to get in the habit of anyway. Ctrl-s whenever you make a new layer is a good rule of thumb.
    Very well.

I'm planning to replace my avatar tomorrow, and to that end I did some sketches on the human skeleton and skulls, and some poses.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

Harass away, spinach-flavoured hypocrite.
    void, riposte en quarte. Step, beat, engage. Well done.

Since I usually do do that, I'm going to call it an isolated derp.
    I think it is a difference between expected body shape. Looking at your skeletal work, you've got a darn good handle on the structure. Something... Something is off in between. I cannot even say its a lacking, so much as something that catches my eye. I've seen it before but I couldn't define it then either. I'll see if I can codify it and get back to you.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I have been letting number one blind me from number two, but that's what I'm changing now. Not producing a finished drawing every day is an option, not updating the thread daily isn't.
    Ah, no at that point I was engaging in badinage, really, as opposed to making a new point. Really, I was just reinforcing a prior point. Done in a vulgar manner though, so I suppose I deserve getting called on it.

Get better soon!
    Thanks. I'm about halfway there. Now I have to get the viscera used to consistency of food absorption again.

On today's update, I think Bittersweet exaggerates how bent the bones in our legs are in her illustrations, but I will compare with the real deal in school at the first opportunity.

Spoiler
    Show

Tomorrow I'll delve a deeper into the muscles in the leg, as well as stop the tablet from gathering dust.
    Very well done. I especially like the tendinous lines. If you extend and flex your leg, you should see that the line heading down the outsider the thigh continues down the inside of the shin bone. It's an interesting linear formation considering the back and forth curvature of the legs in every other way.

I'd like to add a lay pony opinion to this. Listening to most 'professional' artists who talk about their work, reference switching through several programs. The usual progression is library in one program, colors in another, and you hips and effects in photoshop. These are the pictures that take 6-26 hours in total. Going from Inkscape to adobe illustrator or the like to photoshop sounds like it could be par for the course.

I'm not saying you can't do good stuff with just a ballpoint pen.

I'm saying you're fundamentally limited in what you can do with only a ballpoint pen.
    This is fundamentally true. I like ball point because it takes away a lot of the lazy cockiness of digital or even pencil work. You can't take a pen stroke back, you can only work with the mess you've made. This is fun, and is helpful for a lot of things that are more cerebral than technical, but it stop doesn't produce refined art.

When building skill, you gain almost nothing by limiting yourself. Broaden your horizons, if you want to improve.

I'm not really too cool to pay for my stuff usually. But the free trial will most definately be investigated.

I am sure they are worth experimenting at the very least, especially if they are free...

Nevermind then! Well, I'll try openCanvas after PaintTool and make the decision afterwards.
    Opencanvas! That's the one used for sketching in most high-end dA pictures I've seen.

Not much special today, just more anatomy sketches. Tomorrow I'll make something more complete, or start investigating some painting program.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT:
    I'll note this down.
    Looking at these, I have to ask; what is the basic body type you build towards? The torsos, especially around the belly, all have a similar specific shape to them. It interferes a bit with the dynamism of some of your work because the shape is static, and doesn't seem to bend or flex, or do any of the stuff torsos tend to do in action sequences. Looking at it, I can almost identify why, anatomically speaking. The rectus abdominus, latissimus Dorsi, serratus muscles, and obliques all have very undefined states. They don't show through even during actions that would drastically show off these particular muscle groups.

I'm in a similar boat and didn't realize it too. I don't think I can really draw anything but endomorphic tall folks without effort. Hm.

Lost the link I just posted and I'm on a time crunch so have just the one link without any explanation and I'll get back to you later.

Very well.

I'm planning to replace my avatar tomorrow, and to that end I did some sketches on the human skeleton and skulls, and some poses.

Spoiler
    Show
    Very nicely done. The skull seems a bit narrow but other than that, you're right on the mark. What do the robes and wings signify? Or really just the robes, as those are what interest me most.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-02-22 at 10:21 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Guh, this update is so late it almost counts as tomorrow morning. I'm not going to make a habit of this.

void, riposte en quarte. Step, beat, engage. Well done.
    Do you remember when you complained about TV-tropers who use confusing lingo to cut corners in conversation outside of the website?

I'd like to add a lay pony opinion to this. Listening to most 'professional' artists who talk about their work, reference switching through several programs. The usual progression is library in one program, colors in another, and you hips and effects in photoshop. These are the pictures that take 6-26 hours in total. Going from Inkscape to adobe illustrator or the like to photoshop sounds like it could be par for the course.
    Amusingly enough, I already do this with just photoshop and paint. It's like the digital version of having two sets of crayons.

This is fundamentally true. I like ball point because it takes away a lot of the lazy cockiness of digital or even pencil work. You can't take a pen stroke back, you can only work with the mess you've made. This is fun, and is helpful for a lot of things that are more cerebral than technical, but it stop doesn't produce refined art.

When building skill, you gain almost nothing by limiting yourself. Broaden your horizons, if you want to improve.
    I might pick up watercolours somewhere down the line, but that would come up after all these digital mediums.

Opencanvas! That's the one used for sketching in most high-end dA pictures I've seen.
    Duly Noted.

Looking at these, I have to ask; what is the basic body type you build towards? The torsos, especially around the belly, all have a similar specific shape to them. It interferes a bit with the dynamism of some of your work because the shape is static, and doesn't seem to bend or flex, or do any of the stuff torsos tend to do in action sequences. Looking at it, I can almost identify why, anatomically speaking. The rectus abdominus, latissimus Dorsi, serratus muscles, and obliques all have very undefined states. They don't show through even during actions that would drastically show off these particular muscle groups.

I'm in a similar boat and didn't realize it too. I don't think I can really draw anything but endomorphic tall folks without effort. Hm.

Lost the link I just posted and I'm on a time crunch so have just the one link without any explanation and I'll get back to you later.
    Thanks for the link, it will surely be useful. I'll freely admit that I haven't begun studying the torso in any depth yet, but when I do I promise to focus on the body in movement in particular. As to the bodytype, I only seem to draw really thin people with relatively undeveloped muscles, but that isn't exactly a concious decision. This needs to be adressed soon.

Very nicely done. The skull seems a bit narrow but other than that, you're right on the mark. What do the robes and wings signify? Or really just the robes, as those are what interest me most.
    Wings come in a package deal with the username. The robes are just my pink bathrobes, because the day anyone takes me seriously on the internet is the day I jump off a bridge.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-23 at 09:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Not very much done today, began studying the torso in general, using Siuis's great link and Bittersweet's guide. I'll make up for the lack of productivety tomorrow, finally downloading some digital drawing programs, as well as even more anatomysketches.

Spoiler
    Show

As you might see, I seem to place the shoulders to close to the ribcage sometimes.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-24 at 06:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

More anatomy sketches today. I'm going to make a digital mess before going to bed today, too.

To Siuis, I distinctly remember being linked to a different tutorial on drawing from thepunchlineismachismo a long time ago, but looking through the site I can't find anything of the sort. Do you know where they are?

Spoiler
    Show

I feel that it should preemtively be pointed out that I still draw the hands too small sometimes on the initial sketch, I am perfectly aware that they should be much larger.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-25 at 06:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

First, a link. Many iotas of patience died to bring this to you; I'm down to my last few for the night. Stupid browser.

Do you remember when you complained about TV-tropers who use confusing lingo to cut corners in conversation outside of the website?
    That wasn't quite what I complained about, but yes. I was specifically establishing whether you knew the vernacular or not. They were a hodgepodge of fighting and fencin terms. Voiding is leaving an empty space where you used to be in such a way that the opponent has to fill it (ie attack there) and leave themselves vulnerable. Riposte is a return thrust after a party, colloquially used to mean counter attack. En quarte is targeting a specific quadrant (or attacking from said quadrant, I've seen it differ and haven't been arsed to check), step is literally taking a step. A beat is slapping or beating away the opponent's blade, to make an opening.

The point being that you efficiently turned our verbal match around.

Thanks for the link, it will surely be useful. I'll freely admit that I haven't begun studying the torso in any depth yet, but when I do I promise to focus on the body in movement in particular. As to the bodytype, I only seem to draw really thin people with relatively undeveloped muscles, but that isn't exactly a concious decision. This needs to be adressed soon.
    Alright. I asked in the first place because the picture with a guy climbing a wall or whatnot had an interesting belly, that looked rather big given the size of his limbs. Very sturdy, but kinda fat. And I wondered at that point if you've taken the time to notice any accidental choices of style for folks, and then I remembered it had been years since I checked my own work.

Wings come in a package deal with the username. The robes are just my pink bathrobes, because the day anyone takes me seriously on the internet is the day I jump off a bridge.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh the Internet isn't that bad! (/oblivious)
    The first one has a lot I artefacts from digital tinkering; snakes of nigh-invisible white wend their way through the ether of the blank space on the right and bottom. Subtle, blue red white static occupies the left. A fascinating phenomenon.

The second is awesome and now I'm mad at you and also jealous.

And as a final note, I would have been much clearer and more precise before if I had taken the time to note "Daily Art Challenge" as the thread title. My faux pas.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

First, a link. Many iotas of patience died to bring this to you; I'm down to my last few for the night. Stupid browser.
    Those were in the archives?! That doesn't even... Urgh. A hundred thanks for these, there is no way I would have ever thought someone to put them there.

That wasn't quite what I complained about, but yes. I was specifically establishing whether you knew the vernacular or not. They were a hodgepodge of fighting and fencin terms. Voiding is leaving an empty space where you used to be in such a way that the opponent has to fill it (ie attack there) and leave themselves vulnerable. Riposte is a return thrust after a party, colloquially used to mean counter attack. En quarte is targeting a specific quadrant (or attacking from said quadrant, I've seen it differ and haven't been arsed to check), step is literally taking a step. A beat is slapping or beating away the opponent's blade, to make an opening.

The point being that you efficiently turned our verbal match around.
    If fencing was fencing (which it is), I would be a club. And on a unrelated note, I owe you a heartfelt apology, having made myself guilty of what I thought you were doing not two days after writing that.

Alright. I asked in the first place because the picture with a guy climbing a wall or whatnot had an interesting belly, that looked rather big given the size of his limbs. Very sturdy, but kinda fat. And I wondered at that point if you've taken the time to notice any accidental choices of style for folks, and then I remembered it had been years since I checked my own work.
    I'll look into different bodyshapes and poses tomorrow.

Oh the Internet isn't that bad! (/oblivious)
    The internet is fantastic, I just want to keep it lighthearted. I could have drawn it full on Grim Reaper, but that just isn't the imagery I associate myself with.

The first one has a lot I artefacts from digital tinkering; snakes of nigh-invisible white wend their way through the ether of the blank space on the right and bottom. Subtle, blue red white static occupies the left. A fascinating phenomenon.
    Dang, I've been bust! the little dots are persistant eraser flakes and similar filth, the white marks are the eraser flakes I bother editing away. I also sometimes smooth the chunkier colouring somewhat post-scan.

The second is awesome and now I'm mad at you and also jealous.
    I think you like it more than I do. Personally, I think it's superior to my previous avatar colourwise and inferior designwise.

And as a final note, I would have been much clearer and more precise before if I had taken the time to note "Daily Art Challenge" as the thread title. My faux pas.
    Think none of it.

So I messed about in GIMP. Now this picture actually has some history.

This is a thing I made in Photoshop I don't even know when, maybe around last summer.

Spoiler
    Show

So I revisited the motive today, and here's the result.

Spoiler
    Show

And I'm quite happy with it, even though the towers turned out less than fantastic.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-02-26 at 08:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

So hardly anything got done today because I had the entire day free and... wait, that's not how time works.

I am going to perform the rare and exotic lone man decimation tomorrow to instill some sense of discipline. Also to do tomorrow, erikun's birthday gift, and some form of experiment in Inkscape.

For today, I experimented with the composition of a more ambitious piece I had planned. I don't know when I'll get back to it, and even what little you see here now might be subject to change.

Spoiler
    Show

Middle top guy has too short hips, left guy has much too short legs.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

First night with Inkscape made me feel sad and humiliated, and until she gives me the apology I rightly deserve I'm hanging with GIMP because he's more chill and open with stuff.

Spoiler
    Show
    Amazing. apparently tinypic reuses the urls for pictures it takes down.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-04-03 at 05:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

So it's another really late night/really early morning update.

Guys, I think I have stumbled upon something big, perhaps the Holy Grail of inefficient flatcolouring techniques.

Spoiler
    Show

Motive somewhat inspired by a dream I had a few nights ago.

EDIT: This is getting absurd, today's update goes here.

So have you heard that people come in different shapes and sizes?

I'm as shocked as you are.

Spoiler
    Show

Scrutinising it myself I notice that the right boy's right hand got a little twodimensional.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-01 at 07:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Banned

[color="darkgreen"]
    So hardly anything got done today because I had the entire day free and... wait, that's not how time works.

I am going to perform the rare and exotic lone man decimation tomorrow to instill some sense of discipline. Also to do tomorrow, erikun's birthday gift, and some form of experiment in Inkscape.

For today, I experimented with the composition of a more ambitious piece I had planned. I don't know when I'll get back to it, and even what little you see here now might be subject to change.

Spoiler
    Show

Middle top guy has too short hips, left guy has much too short legs.
    something about your leg structure seems off. The legs seem almost universally too short and I can't place why, except there doesn't seem to be enough space between ankle and sole. Some of you other pictures have a similar slight leg thing. Try elongating them a tad just to see how it site with you.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-03-01 at 09:44 PM.