New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

This is a little rough, but do you think this is an improvement?

Spoiler
    Show

Regardless, I'll test that out these next days and see what happens.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

I'm angsting too hard this evening to art properly.

Spoiler
    Show

There will be something better up tomorrow, and it will be up before midnight.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Well this picture was at least finished before midnight so... quasi-success?

Yeah, I've gotten lazy.

Spoiler
    Show

"Behold children, the promised land!"
    "Behind the sand?"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

I intend to colour this picture tomorrow (and add a background to boot), but I don't think I'll be able to finish the job on a tuesday, so you can expect an anatomy intermission then and the finished picture on wednesday*.

Right now I notice that the boy's eyes are glancing to the side as if the woman was further back in the picture, away from the viewpoint. I also notice that her left eye is traveling out of her face. This will be corrected.

*This would be such a fantastic time to remember if you capitalise weekdays in english.

Spoiler
    Show

Once again I find that I have drawn a picture of two or more people "facing" each other in halfprofile, as if for the benefit of a camera. Do you think this is a problem that needs to be adressed? Is it preferable to draw them closer to true profile, or to simply draw the backside of one person's head?
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-05 at 05:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

As said, more anatomy and posing, some of which shown here.

Spoiler
    Show

Tomorrow I'll switch to a better image hosting site like I should have ages ago, and then I'll reupload Erikuns birthday picture.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    *This would be such a fantastic time to remember if you capitalise weekdays in english.
    You do!

HELPFUL THANQOL AWAY!

I don't have much to comment on because this is all stuff I'm working on myself and haven't come to any handy breakthroughs recently.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    You do!

HELPFUL THANQOL AWAY!

I don't have much to comment on because this is all stuff I'm working on myself and haven't come to any handy breakthroughs recently.
    Double Durn!

Well, I'll make sure to share with you if I should have one!

Remember when I said what two days ago? Well that never happened and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

I diverged on a little sidetrack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-07 at 05:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

I intend to colour this picture tomorrow (and add a background to boot), but I don't think I'll be able to finish the job on a tuesday, so you can expect an anatomy intermission then and the finished picture on wednesday*.

Right now I notice that the boy's eyes are glancing to the side as if the woman was further back in the picture, away from the viewpoint. I also notice that her left eye is traveling out of her face. This will be corrected.

Spoiler
    Show

Once again I find that I have drawn a picture of two or more people "facing" each other in halfprofile, as if for the benefit of a camera. Do you think this is a problem that needs to be adressed? Is it preferable to draw them closer to true profile, or to simply draw the backside of one person's head?
    Ankles seem a bit big; otherwise looks pretty good. Also, I would suggest at least trying things like having one person facing away, or both standing in some new or unusual angle, just for the experience of trying to draw it. I'd probably avoid full-on profile for both though, as that seems like a good way to make the picture feel flat and static (of course, I could be wrong).
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

'Tis another three in the morning update. Thanqol, does delivering the picture after midnight count as failure? Because if so I've been out of the game for weeks now.

Anyway, picture is dated to the day it was finished, if you are confused about that.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Ankles seem a bit big; otherwise looks pretty good. Also, I would suggest at least trying things like having one person facing away, or both standing in some new or unusual angle, just for the experience of trying to draw it. I'd probably avoid full-on profile for both though, as that seems like a good way to make the picture feel flat and static (of course, I could be wrong).
    No, you are of course right, that was stupid thinking on my part.

I tried to adress the ankles during colouring, but managed to drop the ball on that.

If you are wondering why the woman's feet are off colour it's because I was experimenting and refining my methods. I don't know why the boy's left arm came out grotesque though.

Apart from that, I'm actually very happy with it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-08 at 09:28 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

Remember when I tried to colour the picture with the downed saucer?

Druid Droid, you might notice that I bruised it up a bit too.

Spoiler
    Show

And I'm quite happy with it.

My hand feels much better than it usually does after drawing for this long. Either I'm subconciously improving my grip through sheer trial and error or my pain threshold leveled up.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-09 at 10:13 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

That saucer's looking very nice; what tools did you use for the sky? I think I can eyeball how you did the ground but I'm thinking grey bristle brush lightly smudged over a dark blue background for the sky?

Also, I'm curious to see you try some different styles; all your human pictures have been attempts to essentially refine your core style thus far, and I want to know if that's habit or informed choice.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

This is a little rough, but do you think this is an improvement?

Spoiler
    Show

Regardless, I'll test that out these next days and see what happens.
    I do! Very nice.

I'm angsting too hard this evening to art properly.

Spoiler
    Show

There will be something better up tomorrow, and it will be up before midnight.
    Aha. I see what's wrong with your leg structure. In this one, it's the thigh. The thigh is of a smaller proportion than the rest of your dood. I'm not sure if it has to do with bone structure, but the size of the torso and head would mean you should have a slightly larger/lower thigh than you have.

Spoiler
    Show

It's the PC conundrum. Why are the protagonists always the chosen ones? Because the story focuses on those chosen ones. They'd still be there if the story didn't focus on them, but it would be a borig story (generally) and you'd wish the story focus on said chosen ones.

In the same way, yes, these folks could be seen from different angles. But unless framing them differently would aid the composition, Nopony will really mind if the picture is from a point that lets us see the face. In fact, there's no winning. If we saw them from the back, folks could say you were lay for not drawing the face.

So do whatever you want, knowing you'll get flak either way

As said, more anatomy and posing, some of which shown here.

Spoiler
    Show

Tomorrow I'll switch to a better image hosting site like I should have ages ago, and then I'll reupload Erikuns birthday picture.
    Provided I didn't confuse myself and this is the three folks anatomy picture, then I See your trouble. The femur!

The femur drops a little bit from the pelvis on a large bump lever thingy. The length of the femur is correct, but attached wrong. It's too high up on te pelvis, to mine eyes. I'm not sure what's causing it, and illy et to remember to do some comparisons so I can give you actual answers. But the head of the femur usually sits at level with the sit bone, and yours is almost at the top of the sacrum. Lowering the greater trochanter (I believe that's what I'm talking about anyway, this is vague memory practice) just those few proportional inches would solve the irregularity.

EDIT: more anatomy I think would be useful!

The pelvis (or the part that matters) is the iliac crest. It's not flat though, it's like the edge of a dish. The part that the femur attaches to is recessed. I bring this up because it looks like you're using the bone to build both the outside of the pelvis, and also the defining borders of its front as far as the actual flesh goes. If you remember that it's concave, you can use the meat of the thigh to flesh out the 'ball' part of the ball and socket, action figure style. This is important because the main muscle that lifts the knee closer to the chest starts on the inside of the pelvis, drops down through it, and connects to the front of the thigh. Except I can't articulate why it's important, so grain of salt there. Muscle is the iliopsoas, if yore interested in an image lark.

Ankles! The ankles are he hammer bones, the medial (inside) and lateral (outside) malleolus (malleoli plural; spelling is probably off). The inside bump is actually higher than the outside bump, by anywhere from 50%-150% percent of the outside. In some people a straight line from the top of the outside bump will go through the inside bump, in some the line will touch the bottom, and in very very few (usually artistically exaggerated, I've never seen a living example, not sure if they could even walk...) the line wouldn't touch the inside bump at all. By staggering the protrusion, you'll avoid the weird socket look you've got going. This can also be done by remembering that the ankle is a tube (leg) with a bump on ether end. Your coloring looks like the bump is actually more of a ring that surrounds the entire calf-foot connection point.
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-03-10 at 07:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

That saucer's looking very nice; what tools did you use for the sky? I think I can eyeball how you did the ground but I'm thinking grey bristle brush lightly smudged over a dark blue background for the sky?
    I am laughably unadventurous in the digital medium, in fact I don't think I even used anything else than a plain round brush and the smudge tool. I rationalize as being important to master the basics, walking on a proffesional level before running is attempted. You are completely right about the colours, they originally turned out too blue and were darkened with thin greyblack layers (the entire picture sand and saucer included was covered in a black layer at 0.08 opacity, although I think the beduins were placed above that layer by mistake, but that might be the contrast fouling with my eyes).

Also, I'm curious to see you try some different styles; all your human pictures have been attempts to essentially refine your core style thus far, and I want to know if that's habit or informed choice.
    My style, or at least what of it there is, is very much a product of habit. I could try some experimenting come Monday but it would very much be a trip through Terra Incognita and I fear the results will be quite underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Aha. I see what's wrong with your leg structure. In this one, it's the thigh. The thigh is of a smaller proportion than the rest of your dood. I'm not sure if it has to do with bone structure, but the size of the torso and head would mean you should have a slightly larger/lower thigh than you have.
    Embarrasing rookie mistake. I'll concentrate more on it in the future.

In the same way, yes, these folks could be seen from different angles. But unless framing them differently would aid the composition, Nopony will really mind if the picture is from a point that lets us see the face. In fact, there's no winning. If we saw them from the back, folks could say you were lay for not drawing the face.

So do whatever you want, knowing you'll get flak either way
    I'll try to study how how this is handled in other media to see how they treat the matter.

Provided I didn't confuse myself and this is the three folks anatomy picture, then I See your trouble. The femur!

The femur drops a little bit from the pelvis on a large bump lever thingy. The length of the femur is correct, but attached wrong. It's too high up on te pelvis, to mine eyes. I'm not sure what's causing it, and illy et to remember to do some comparisons so I can give you actual answers. But the head of the femur usually sits at level with the sit bone, and yours is almost at the top of the sacrum. Lowering the greater trochanter (I believe that's what I'm talking about anyway, this is vague memory practice) just those few proportional inches would solve the irregularity.
    wait... eh...

YEEES!

This explains and solves much more than it should. I don't think I will be repeating this particular mistake in the future.

EDIT: more anatomy I think would be useful!

The pelvis (or the part that matters) is the iliac crest. It's not flat though, it's like the edge of a dish. The part that the femur attaches to is recessed. I bring this up because it looks like you're using the bone to build both the outside of the pelvis, and also the defining borders of its front as far as the actual flesh goes. If you remember that it's concave, you can use the meat of the thigh to flesh out the 'ball' part of the ball and socket, action figure style. This is important because the main muscle that lifts the knee closer to the chest starts on the inside of the pelvis, drops down through it, and connects to the front of the thigh. Except I can't articulate why it's important, so grain of salt there. Muscle is the iliopsoas, if yore interested in an image lark.

Ankles! The ankles are he hammer bones, the medial (inside) and lateral (outside) malleolus (malleoli plural; spelling is probably off). The inside bump is actually higher than the outside bump, by anywhere from 50%-150% percent of the outside. In some people a straight line from the top of the outside bump will go through the inside bump, in some the line will touch the bottom, and in very very few (usually artistically exaggerated, I've never seen a living example, not sure if they could even walk...) the line wouldn't touch the inside bump at all. By staggering the protrusion, you'll avoid the weird socket look you've got going. This can also be done by remembering that the ankle is a tube (leg) with a bump on ether end. Your coloring looks like the bump is actually more of a ring that surrounds the entire calf-foot connection point.
    This is another one of those things I must promise you to read up on more closely on a later point.

Today I tried to draw a human completely digitally, without the aid of a scanned sketch. afterwards, I had to reluctantly concluded the experiment a failure. This time.

Instead you are being treated to a sketch I am going to colour tomorrow.

Spoiler
    Show

Also to look forward to tomorrow, DarthBobcat's birthday request.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Banned

rookie mistake
    remarkably common, actually. I do it relatively often. Thanqol has had trouble with it (may still, I'll have to examine his subject matter more). I think that's part of the purpose of the skeletal layout is just catching this stuff.

wait... Eh...

YES
    W-what? I was... Right? Useful? What is this strange sensation?

Starry has leveled up!
    Starry gains +1 credibility!
    Starry gains +3 ego!
    Starry gains +1 initiative!
    Starry has learned SUBTLE APPLICATIONS spell!

Promise to read up on later
    No worries! I do my best not to give any sort of homework. The stuff on the pelvis & iliopsoas would require looking through maybe three pass of google images, and the ankle is more of a 'see if you can get an idea from this'. Anything more in depth is optional.

In fact,
    Spoiler
    Show

That's pretty much all you need!

Now to go and draw some of my own stuff...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    W-what? I was... Right? Useful? What is this strange sensation?

Starry has leveled up!
    Starry gains +1 credibility!
    Starry gains +3 ego!
    Starry gains +1 initiative!
    Starry has learned SUBTLE APPLICATIONS spell!
    You are selling yourself for less than you are worth, Siuis. And on that note, I must thank you for writing about human skin colour being a combination of cyans and yellows in Thanqol's thread, that was a great eyeopener.

No worries! I do my best not to give any sort of homework. The stuff on the pelvis & iliopsoas would require looking through maybe three pass of google images, and the ankle is more of a 'see if you can get an idea from this'. Anything more in depth is optional.

In fact,
    Spoiler
    Show

That's pretty much all you need!
    This is great stuff, thanks!

Now to go and draw some of my own stuff...
    Your lack of a thread is outragous, you know we love your stuff.

Haven't begun drawing DBC's picture yet, going to get right to that now, but I just got finished with the other drawing and had to get it up now because finishing it made me feel so happy and proud.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: and for sake of completeness, here is DarthBobcat's birthday request.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-11 at 07:58 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

I have a tendency to use thin and transparent layers when I draw digitally, I think it's the influence of my favorite physical mediums, pencil crayons and watercolours.

In this picture I actually tried to mimic Thanqol's work.

Spoiler
    Show

Necks got a bit long though and that wasn't intentional.

EDIT: I accidentally dated it one day off, the things that happen when you get done at one o'clock in the night. It's a picture from the future now.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-12 at 07:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

I just saw this, and needed to comment:

Today I tried to draw a human completely digitally, without the aid of a scanned sketch. afterwards, I had to reluctantly concluded the experiment a failure. This time.

NO! Bad artist! *bats at the Prince with rolled-up sketch paper*
    This is Bad Scientific Reasoning!

An experiment does not fail just because you did not get the results you expected. Did you learn anything at all from your experiment? Even if the lesson learned was "I need to figure out what went wrong and fix it", then the experiment was a GLORIOUS SUCCESS! You should learn more from something not going as expected than you do from something going exactly as expected. The experiment is only a failure if you learn nothing.

Here ends the lesson.

*steps off soapbox and back into the lurker shadows*

18. - Top - End - #108

In this picture I actually tried to mimic Thanqol's work.
    Really? Huh. Any piece of mine in particular? It's very good in some places (jeans) and less so in others (unerased lines, particularly around the guy's neck).

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    I just saw this, and needed to comment:

NO! Bad artist! *bats at the Prince with rolled-up sketch paper*
    This is Bad Scientific Reasoning!

An experiment does not fail just because you did not get the results you expected. Did you learn anything at all from your experiment? Even if the lesson learned was "I need to figure out what went wrong and fix it", then the experiment was a GLORIOUS SUCCESS! You should learn more from something not going as expected than you do from something going exactly as expected. The experiment is only a failure if you learn nothing.

Here ends the lesson.

*steps off soapbox and back into the lurker shadows*
    Wait, I actually have lurkers? Am I going to have to annoy all of them before they appear or what?
    Why hello Kettle, this is Pot!

And you are of course totally right about the nature of experimentation ("And I need to figure out what went wrong" is an apt summary of the knowledge gained). However, the experiment did fail to produce anything that did not make my eyes bleed, so for certain stupid lines of reasoning my original statement is still true.

Really? Huh. Any piece of mine in particular? It's very good in some places (jeans) and less so in others (unerased lines, particularly around the guy's neck).
    I knew this would happen. No, not any piece in particular. You might notice what elements I was trying (and mostly failing) to infuse if you contrast the facial features with that in my other pictures, but ultimately this proves that I'm much to rooted in my own "style".

And I'm still hesitant to call it that, really, because it implies that I make a concious decision to use it over a number of alternatives. I don't, there is just what happens when I make pencil meet paper.There has never been any serious exploration of other methods.

And also, of course a very valid criticism. I will take care not to repeat that mistake.

So, It's a Tuesday again, And I made something unoriginal, quick and pretentious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-13 at 07:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

I knew this would happen. No, not any piece in particular. You might notice what elements I was trying (and mostly failing) to infuse if you contrast the facial features with that in my other pictures, but ultimately this proves that I'm much to rooted in my own "style".

And I'm still hesitant to call it that, really, because it implies that I make a concious decision to use it over a number of alternatives. I don't, there is just what happens when I make pencil meet paper.There has never been any serious exploration of other methods.

And also, of course a very valid criticism. I will take care not to repeat that mistake.
    Ah. ... You're looking to me for reference on facial structure, are you mad?

I am still deliberately and continuously switching styles and genres and I maintain that this is an excellent habit that's teaching me a lot. I lose the practical benefit of being able to reflexively draw pretty looking anime ladies, which is an ability I want and is tempting. In return, I gain the abstract benefit of not reflexively drawing pretty looking anime ladies whenever I put pen to paper and thus having a really broad range. This seems to be a problem you're working through.

I still advocate attempting to replicate styles you've never tried before; anime, western comics, hyper-realism, stylisation. Nothing's quite so educational as going out of your comfort zone. I wouldn't have learned just how awesome Pure Paints are if I hadn't decided to just do a picture without any linework at all one day, and my best pieces have been Pure Paints.

I feel like, by this point on Day 301, I could pick a style right now and commit to it and be half decent at it. I feel that the longer I delay that moment the more comprehensive my knowledge will be, the more informed my finished style will be, and the less I'll be bound by it in the future.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Ah. ... You're looking to me for reference on facial structure, are you mad?
    I wasn't going to make a habit of it, don't worry. And more directly pertaining to your question, I thought that was assumed.

Finding differences and trying to implement them was fun, and although I'm arrogant enough to prefer my own style yours is much more time economic.

I am still deliberately and continuously switching styles and genres and I maintain that this is an excellent habit that's teaching me a lot. I lose the practical benefit of being able to reflexively draw pretty looking anime ladies, which is an ability I want and is tempting. In return, I gain the abstract benefit of not reflexively drawing pretty looking anime ladies whenever I put pen to paper and thus having a really broad range.
    This most definately sounds worthwhile. I'll see what I can do, there is one particularly silly thing I've been wanting to try for a while now, maybe I'll surprise you tomorrow.

This seems to be a problem you're working through.
    Would you describe my style as anime-ish? I know that there are obvious influences there, but if people genuinely describe my work as anime I might have to high five a hot stove.

I still advocate attempting to replicate styles you've never tried before; anime, western comics, hyper-realism, stylisation. Nothing's quite so educational as going out of your comfort zone. I wouldn't have learned just how awesome Pure Paints are if I hadn't decided to just do a picture without any linework at all one day, and my best pieces have been Pure Paints.

I feel like, by this point on Day 301, I could pick a style right now and commit to it and be half decent at it. I feel that the longer I delay that moment the more comprehensive my knowledge will be, the more informed my finished style will be, and the less I'll be bound by it in the future.
    I'll look into ways to go nuts.

Birthday picture for Forum Explorer, Discorded Octavia. Not really my greatest work.

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-14 at 07:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Intentionally tried to keep it simple today, and now everything is angular and stuff.

I was positively surprised by this one, I thought it would turn out worse.

Spoiler
    Show

I'll make something more adventurous tomorrow.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

I'm the worst at predicting the future, I've done next to nothing productive today.

And Thanqol, I'm sorry but it feels like I'm actually regressing in anatomy and will therefore give that most of my attention these next few days. I'll get back to styles eventually, but I don't know when.

I'm just going to put a sketch here, it will be coloured either tomorrow or the day after that.

Spoiler
    Show

It's way to late around here, and if anyone of you is seeing anything unusually goofy in this image please say so now.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The picture above will be finished tomorrow.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

If the human face had a face, I would punch it repeatedly.

Spoiler
    Show

Let's just all never mention this piece of filth again.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

So, a bit of anatomy and poses today, tomorrow I'll study some theory too.

Spoiler
    Show

I think there is a Monty Python joke to make here.

EDIT: Wow this thread is turning lonely. Is this because I don't comment enough on your threads or just because you all think I'm an obtuse jerk?

So anyway, I saw what I could get down in a set time, namely forty minutes, and now I'm here to inflict the terror on you all.

Bwahahhahahahahahahanoregrets!

And in my defense, the lines (and well, everything) are actually much better on the physical copy than they got on the scan.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT THE SECOND:

Spoiler
    Show

It's lousy with errors( for one, his arm should go under hers, not the other way around), but I like it.

EDIT THE THIRD:

There will probably be something more ambitious tomorrow, until then, have this.

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT THE FOURTH:

No there wont! For once my lack of productivety has a passable excuse, I have fallen ill with something. (Hopefully!) Something more impressive soon, we'll see. Until then, just a few stupid sketches.

Spoiler
    Show

The human body walking is something I have to bone up on, as well as faces in general.

EDIT THE FINAL:

Tomorrow, This, Coloured, as well as something else.

Spoiler
    Show

Initial scan came out outragously scrawly for some reason, I don't think this will be a problem later. Also, I'll broaden their shoulders to something more resonable when the time comes.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-24 at 08:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This picture looks so much sillier in hindsight. Left boy is dismayed because his paper is all blank pages, and they are leaning against a time travelling streetlamp.

Something else didn't happen, and I'm kind of disappointed in myself over that. I'm just going to stop saying anything about future work, this is too embarrasing.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-03-25 at 07:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

EDIT: Wow this thread is turning lonely. Is this because I don't comment enough on your threads or just because you all think I'm an obtuse jerk?
    My thread's gone through these patches; 10-15 updates in a row with no comments. Not much you can do about it. People tend to delurk when you A) Put out a call for requests B) Do something super ambitious C) Do something funny D) Ask for specific advice.

I tend to not comment on areas I don't know anything about, which is a lot. Thread's also not bumped in case of edits (I actually came in here to reprimand you for not updating before I saw the edits)

Spoiler
    Show
    Sitting girl: Neck. Left leg.
    Standing guy: Feet, hips, way too flat and straight.

EDIT THE THIRD:

There will probably be something more ambitious tomorrow, until then, have this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Both feet can't be that way unless he's bunny hopping down the street. TINY HANDS.

Spoiler
    Show

This picture looks so much sillier in hindsight. Left boy is dismayed because his paper is all blank pages, and they are leaning against a time travelling streetlamp.
    There's a lot of good colouring and shading here, but I'm dubious about
    A) Coloured lines for edges. I'm not even convinced it works for ponies.
    B) Faces. You really need to try some new expressions that aren't kinda blank stares.

Something else didn't happen, and I'm kind of disappointed in myself over that. I'm just going to stop saying anything about future work, this is too embarrasing.
    Lower your standards! You're here to learn, not to win our respect. Respect is a by-product of successful learning; don't worry about embarrassment.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-25 at 09:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

My thread's gone through these patches; 10-15 updates in a row with no comments. Not much you can do about it. People tend to delurk when you A) Put out a call for requests B) Do something super ambitious C) Do something funny D) Ask for specific advice.
    Nod, nod.

I tend to not comment on areas I don't know anything about, which is a lot. Thread's also not bumped in case of edits (I actually came in here to reprimand you for not updating before I saw the edits)
    Update like the desert wind, passing over the dunes without stirring a grain of sand.

I think a more civilized system is in order. From now on, if there are no comments, every second update is edited into the previous one, so the thread will be bumped up every other day at least.

Sitting girl: Neck. Left leg.
    Standing guy: Feet, hips, way too flat and straight.
    That girl is easily the s***iest boy I've drawn here yet. Good call on the leg especially though, that was stupid.

Both feet can't be that way unless he's bunny hopping down the street. TINY HANDS.
    Walk Cycles, How do they even work.

There's a lot of good colouring and shading here, but I'm dubious about
    A) Coloured lines for edges. I'm not even convinced it works for ponies.
    B) Faces. You really need to try some new expressions that aren't kinda blank stares.
    First, Thanks! the better part of the shading was a panicy last minute add on and I was glad to see it work out so well.

A) Do you think that this one, or more specifically their faces, are worse than my other digital pictures? Personally I'm conflicted, because it's closer to the intended mark, but that's just because I set the bar lower.

B) Faces? Expressions? My Comfort zone is somewhere on a different continent and probably ravaged by Mongol hordes. Yes, I will give this the attention it deserves, sooner rather than later, although odds are you might not see the initial results.

Are there any resources or tutorials on the subject that you found useful? I can probably start with that tutorial made by the artist of Lackadaisy, I think he knows what he was talking about.

Lower your standards! You're here to learn, not to win our respect. Respect is a by-product of successful learning; don't worry about embarrassment.
    *Cringe* Do I have too? Seriously though, yeah, this is hard and stupid for me, I'll try to keep it in mind.

Just a little scrawl today, and no head because the prices on those are getting prohibitive and I have a headache now. I need to go to sleep.

Spoiler
    Show

I realised what the acronym for the Totes Legit Generic Box is. Kind of cool, but entirely unintentional.

Every picture from now on will be of Tuareg caravans. If you want a to know what the future holds, just imagine a blue man-burqa over every face. Forever.

30. - Top - End - #120

Update like the desert wind, passing over the dunes without stirring a grain of sand.

I think a more civilized system is in order. From now on, if there are no comments, every second update is edited into the previous one, so the thread will be bumped up every other day at least.
    I give every day it's new post. It's worked out beautifully; my thread's going to be on page 45-50 by the time I reach Day 365 which'll let me gracefully start a new thread for Year 2.

Walk Cycles, How do they even work.
    Generally one foot is flat on the ground as the other comes forwards for a slow walk. The faster you're moving the less your feet touch the ground.

First, Thanks! the better part of the shading was a panicy last minute add on and I was glad to see it work out so well.

A) Do you think that this one, or more specifically their faces, are worse than my other digital pictures? Personally I'm conflicted, because it's closer to the intended mark, but that's just because I set the bar lower.
    It looks like a successful application of a style I don't like.

B) Faces? Expressions? My Comfort zone is somewhere on a different continent and probably ravaged by Mongol hordes. Yes, I will give this the attention it deserves, sooner rather than later, although odds are you might not see the initial results.

Are there any resources or tutorials on the subject that you found useful? I can probably start with that tutorial made by the artist of Lackadaisy, I think he knows what he was talking about.
    The Lackadaisy was the one I was going to suggest. Otherwise my recommendation is to look at cartoons. Cartoon figures have very expressive faces, and a well designed character can tell you a lot about their personality from their default expression and pose. Your characters all look extremely generic, which is a shame, because I know you're capable of excellent design - that Metal Mask dragon is a good example. That's also why I'm pressing you so hard to try different styles and genres of art; you've got good technical skills but you're using them on a rather unappealing style.

Check Trazoi's drawthread for all my links to and discussion of character design. In addition, come up with a few visually distinct characters and start drawing them and variations of them. My Alternate Reality sequence of Jaydens was extremely educational; what changes, what stays the same?

*Cringe* Do I have too? Seriously though, yeah, this is hard and stupid for me, I'll try to keep it in mind.
    You owe it to yourself to broaden your horizons.

EDIT: Do this. Right now. No questions.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-03-27 at 05:14 AM.