Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Fresh Prince's Daily Draw Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    My, how perfectly rectangular you are!
    The suit is working!

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    It looks pretty good, face aside, but one thing I notice is that although the lines and shadows look right, he doesn't seem to have much volume. Not really sure how to improve that myself, but I think it feels just a little flat as is...
    Of course you are both right, that one was a total dud.

Day 118

Cower in fear, there is a new anatomy guide in town.

Thanks go to the ponythread IRC chat and Kindablue.

Also, began drawing on a picture for Grif.

Don't mind the strand of hair waiting to pounce on Lyra.

Also also, I found a giant bunch of tutorials right here so I might start drawing anatomy sketches again.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

Day 119

So apparently I'm artist enough now to have the blocks.

I've just been trying and failing across three sheets of paper to get a certain pose and appearance across, with a clear as day picture already in mind, and it just wont work.

So the sun is rising again now and I can hear birds singing.

Drawn without any sort of reference.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Day 120

In which I poke at foreshortening.

What should have been accomplished yesterday.

EDIT: I just realized that the stone he is resting his foot against looks like it's further away from the viewer than his right leg, I'll be sure to correct that.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-05-14 at 07:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Day 121

Not in the most productive of moods, honestly.

Hey look a tree.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Day 122

Don't mind me.

Just drawing this because of reasons.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Day 124

PRODUCTIVITY

Got half done with another picture, didn't want to put that here while it was still unfinished.

Promising myself doesn't seem to be working out so well, so I'm just going to write it here and shame myself into working harder.

I intend to draw so much tomorrow you guys. You don't even know. Yeah, this is definitely a thing that is most certainly going to happen.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAquilaDei View Post
    Day 124

PRODUCTIVITY

Got half done with another picture, didn't want to put that here while it was still unfinished.

Promising myself doesn't seem to be working out so well, so I'm just going to write it here and shame myself into working harder.

I intend to draw so much tomorrow you guys. You don't even know. Yeah, this is definitely a thing that is most certainly going to happen.

Those days happen.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Day 125 (Strenuously)

That didn't work out at all, for reasons partially outside of my control. That day kind of got eaten by some really stupid things.

I'm going to get scarce around the web from now on, and I don't know when that will be resolved, part by necessity but also out of choice. Expect a catchup post in about a week, give or take three days.

I'll still be drawing daily, naturally. Should I fail in that I'll inform you about it.

The desert calls, see you later.

This could be seen as the end of chapter one, if you were so inclined.

10. - Top - End - #220

Don't think in terms of chapters. That implies that this thing has an ending.

Good luck in the meatspace. I hope to see you back soon - you've been doing impressively well at the challenge.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Day 115

Anything familiar?

Colouring is a little unusual, and that isn't (just) me being lazy here, but quite deliberate, as I tried something else. I tried to make the painting a little more transparent and let the sketch shine through. It didn't work here though, but I'm quite sure everyone here has seen something like what I'm talking about here and know for a fact that it can work, so you probably know what I was aiming for.

I'm thinking of going backwards in the thread and revisit the pictures I've promised myself to do more with, it would at the very least be an excuse to wave the tablet around more.

I'm sorry SiuiS, I just can't get the words down and the subject is making me genuinely angry. I think you are making a lot of positive assumptions about the comics and their creators, while I am making thoroughly cynical and hostile ones. I'm sorry I'm being this lame, really.
    Like the purple. It's weird that they are both light though.

And that's cool; I don't have anything to say on it really. It just made a log of sense at the time. I just find life is easier if I don't assume stupid people are stupid. It doesn't always pay off.

Day 117

He doesn't want to leave a comment on his lack of a face and neither do I.

It's simply too late for faces.

So yeah, this one is kind of pointless, but I did learn a couple of things about how you can and can not place your hand on your own chest, so I guess that's one victory.

Something with more meaning tomorrow. Maybe even good, It's too early to tell.
    There is face in the sketch stage. Did you erase it or never get around to it?

Cower in fear, there is a new anatomy guide in town.

Thanks go to the ponythread IRC chat and Kindablue.
    But they are, see?

Tookme a minute, tops.

Also, began drawing on a picture for Grif.

Don't mind the strand of hair waiting to pounce on Lyra.

Also also, I found a giant bunch of tutorials right here so I might start drawing anatomy sketches again.
    Oh wow. That's really good @__@
    Why is everyone but me do damn good at drawing Midnight?!

Day 120

In which I poke at foreshortening.

What should have been accomplished yesterday.

EDIT: I just realized that the stone he is resting his foot against looks like it's further away from the viewer than his right leg, I'll be sure to correct that.
    I am astounded by the technical work on that billowy banner. Envious, in fact. This entire thing just sort of leaves me awestruck.

Those days happen.
    Luna, do they!
    Lemme know when you figure out how to make them stop.

Day 125 (Strenuously)

That didn't work out at all, for reasons partially outside of my control. That day kind of got eaten by some really stupid things.

I'm going to get scarce around the web from now on, and I don't know when that will be resolved, part by necessity but also out of choice. Expect a catchup post in about a week, give or take three days.

I'll still be drawing daily, naturally. Should I fail in that I'll inform you about it.

The desert calls, see you later.

och, that's unfortunate. Especially seeing these last few things.
    Ah well.

Hopefully when you come back, I'll have one of these threads.

I wish you well whatever road you take. Search for green; it means an oasis.

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Midnight is incredibly frustrating to draw >.>

Luna, do they!
    Oh, I know how. Do something anyway.

It might not fix the problem today but it'll make sure you've still got a chance at fixing the problem tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Hello again, everyone.

I've failed, not in drawing daily, but in achieving the goals I set up for myself a week ago but chose not to share here, having already broken another promise the very day before. I have fulfilled the letter of the draw challenge and failed it in spirit.

And so, this update is less than half of what it should be.

Yet more room for improvement.

Don't think in terms of chapters. That implies that this thing has an ending.
    You make a very important point, but let's not think it impossible to break an infinite thing into perfectly finite pieces.

Good luck in the meatspace. I hope to see you back soon - you've been doing impressively well at the challenge.
    I'm sorry you had to wait. And thank you, it means a lot.

Like the purple. It's weird that they are both light though.

And that's cool; I don't have anything to say on it really. It just made a log of sense at the time. I just find life is easier if I don't assume stupid people are stupid. It doesn't always pay off.
    Now that you mention it the tone of purple is kind of off canon, at least on the tower. Maybe something is illuminating it?

There is face in the sketch stage. Did you erase it or never get around to it?
    I tried to draw a face a few times, lost patience with it and didn't erase it very thoroughly.

Midnight is incredibly frustrating to draw >.>
    Huh? Now I can't help wondering if I did something wrong, because I didn't have much difficulty.

I am astounded by the technical work on that billowy banner. Envious, in fact. This entire thing just sort of leaves me awestruck.
    I've reached the conclusion that fabrics and clothing are one of my strongest points, so you can expect me to try to obfuscate a lot of my shortcomings with that in my weaker moments. Looking back on the banner though I notice a little Escher line there that will have to be removed so thanks for making me throw a second glance at it!

Luna, do they!
    I going to make an attempt these next few days, honest. We'll see how it goes.

och, that's unfortunate. Especially seeing these last few things.
    Ah well.
    You guys are honestly the greatest. I've been sitting here silently berating myself for an imagined drop in quality these last weeks.

THIS IS THE FACE WE ARE ALL MAKING SIUIS DON'T LEAVE US HANGING.

I wish you well whatever road you take. Search for green; it means an oasis.
    Well that sounds like solid advice.

I honestly wouldn't put it past myself to forget if I couldn't drink it.

It might not fix the problem today but it'll make sure you've still got a chance at fixing the problem tomorrow.
    Uhm.

Day 126 to 134

I've begun on a series of images, and there are going to be eight in total. As of now there are only three sketches, but that is another thing about to be corrected.

I decided to take a hint from Thanqol and single out at least one new or uncomfortable thing to explore in every one, however small.

And also every picture is going to be full body portrait of one individual, and the motive will be inspired by one of the songs in the homestuck album Medium.

Rain

I'll try to portray water and rain in this picture (Hello, this is me thinking outside the box). But there is none of that there yet, of course.

Shade

An attempt to draw a narrative using only a single image, this one needs a lot of tweaking (proper pespective leaps to mind, I just winged it).

Heat

Some foreshortening going on with the arm here, I might add or change details though.

14. - Top - End - #224

Hello again, everyone.

I've failed, not in drawing daily, but in achieving the goals I set up for myself a week ago but chose not to share here, having already broken another promise the very day before. I have fulfilled the letter of the draw challenge and failed it in spirit.

And so, this update is less than half of what it should be.

Yet more room for improvement.
    I see you haven't noticed the endless series of sketchy garbage that's made up the last week of my drawthread. The intention to learn a thing is blocked by the very real gulf of practise and persistence. When you fail, redefine victory.

You make a very important point, but let's not think it impossible to break an infinite thing into perfectly finite pieces.
    Improvement is gradual, making milestones difficult to determine.

I'm sorry you had to wait. And thank you, it means a lot.
    'scool, worth waiting for

Huh? Now I can't help wondering if I did something wrong, because I didn't have much difficulty.
    I mostly have trouble with her colour scheme. Getting bright blue, dark blue and light purple to not clash is hard.

You guys are honestly the greatest. I've been sitting here silently berating myself for an imagined drop in quality these last weeks.
    Without assumption

The single thing that kills my motivation the hardest is doing a good picture one day, trying to draw another good picture the next day and completely botching it.

That's the reason behind the title of my new thread. Every step is the first.

I decided to take a hint from Thanqol and single out at least one new or uncomfortable thing to explore in every one, however small.
    Good plan. I feel like every day is an experiment or an application of previous experiments. It's amazing how much the experiments build up.

Rain

I'll try to portray water and rain in this picture (Hello, this is me thinking outside the box). But there is none of that there yet, of course.
    I quite like this, good composition.

Shade

An attempt to draw a narrative using only a single image, this one needs a lot of tweaking (proper pespective leaps to mind, I just winged it).
    Not sure how I feel about the face, but I do especially like that ship picture.

Heat

Some foreshortening going on with the arm here, I might add or change details though.
    Looking forwards to seeing this one in colour in particular.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

I see you haven't noticed the endless series of sketchy garbage that's made up the last week of my drawthread. The intention to learn a thing is blocked by the very real gulf of practise and persistence. When you fail, redefine victory.
    Oh, I have. But I have reason to think that I had more free time to spare than you had this last week, and I should have done better. But that reminds me anyway, I've been a tool and not congratulated you on making it through the first year yet. That is truly big, good work.

Improvement is gradual, making milestones difficult to determine.
    True.

I mostly have trouble with her colour scheme. Getting bright blue, dark blue and light purple to not clash is hard.
    I'll keep that in mind.

Without assumption

The single thing that kills my motivation the hardest is doing a good picture one day, trying to draw another good picture the next day and completely botching it.

That's the reason behind the title of my new thread. Every step is the first.
    Another thing you honestly shouldn't need to remind me of.

Good plan. I feel like every day is an experiment or an application of previous experiments. It's amazing how much the experiments build up.
    I can well imagine. I should probably have adopted the policy officially myself much earlier.

Not sure how I feel about the face...
    Yeah, that needs attention too.

Looking forwards to seeing this one in colour in particular.
    Always glad to intrigue!

Day 135

So here we go.

Okay, so, just some very thin filler today, with some simplified anatomy and some bodyshapes.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

Day 136

Birds.

There is a reason for this, besides laziness.

17. - Top - End - #227

You can't say that!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

You can't say that!
    Watch me.

Day 137

A bird.

I did do a couple of other things today, and I promise tomorrow will be if not more ambitious then at least more serious.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

Well hay, wish I'd thought of that.
    I need to spend more time applying myself and less making smart-ass remarks.

[Blasphemy Redacted] That's Horrifying.
    Its even possessed of a wee monocle

Hello again, everyone.
    I've reached the conclusion that fabrics and clothing are one of my strongest points, so you can expect me to try to obfuscate a lot of my shortcomings with that in my weaker moments. Looking back on the banner though I notice a little Escher line there that will have to be removed so thanks for making me throw a second glance at it!
    Escher. I should know that...

Well that sounds like solid advice.

I honestly wouldn't put it past myself to forget if I couldn't drink it.
    Mostly I was thinking it would be less sun-scorchy.

Day 126 to 134

I've begun on a series of images, and there are going to be eight in total. As of now there are only three sketches, but that is another thing about to be corrected.

And also every picture is going to be full body portrait of one individual, and the motive will be inspired by one of the songs in the homestuck album Medium.

Rain

Shade

Heat

I like the rump in the first one, the boots in the second. The third is most possessed of a soul, however.

Watch me.

Day 137

A bird.

I did do a couple of other things today, and I promise tomorrow will be if not more ambitious then at least more serious.
    wow, that's traditional media? I feel so left behind...
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2012-05-31 at 11:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

[Blasphemy Redacted] That's Horrifying.
    Its even possessed of a wee monocle
    Can't stop drawing. Mall will eat me.

Escher. I should know that...
    You have probably seen some of his work even if you don't know him by name. He is considered a kind of a mathematician's choice artist. The man did some mind-blowing stuff with patterns, and basically explored perspective drawing until he broke it. Maybe it was a poor word choice on my part and I should much rather have used the word non-euclidian (which he did a lot of too)

Mostly I was thinking it would be less sun-scorchy.
    That it was. Also gives the sandworms pause for thought.

I like the rump in the first one, the boots in the second. The third is most possessed of a soul, however.
    Heat is rapidly becoming a favorite in here, I see.

wow, that's traditional media? I feel so left behind...
    Everything in here since day 124 has been completely in physical media.

So is today.

Day 138

Did I say serious, I have shenanigans to get up to.

We meet this beauty again.

And yet another wardrobe change.
    Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-06-01 at 07:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Orc in the Playground

Day 139

Clockwork Protosketch

In which I'm eventually going to draw a lot heavy machinery (a battleship) and some patterned cloth.

We'll see how much of this picture survives into the final product.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

Laziest of days!

Day 140

I badly need to draw more in proper perspective apparently.

Also draw more in general, this is getting embarrassing.

Don't mock this bridge, this is a serious medical condition.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Orc in the Playground

Day 141

One of those few times I try to directly copy a physical object before me when I draw.

Some hands.

(My left hand isn't actually deformed)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Last edited by PrinceAquilaDei; 2012-06-05 at 04:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

Day 143

Frost Protosketch

In which I will eventually tackle ice and reflections.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Day 144 (Yay 144 is an incredibly good number, just you know in general)

Begun sketching on Clockwork proper. Background needs tinkering, as does the hairdo.

Here it is.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

Day 145

Gah.

Changed my mind completely on Frost (Will still try my hand at reflections here though).

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

Day 146

Light Protosketch

Last time I tried to draw a face from a lower angle I wasn't too pleased with the result. Now the focus will be more on how the neck behaves in this one, since it's really in profile. I'll try to draw a face from a lower angle head on in Frogs, when I get there. Also, this will probably be a good excuse to draw some pretty seafoam, sunrays and clouds. Which sounds nice.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Say... do you ever actually finish any of these sketches you seem to start here? You got quite a few strings unconnected now.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Say... do you ever actually finish any of these sketches you seem to start here? You got quite a few strings unconnected now.
    Are you trying to antagonize me into working harder?
    Note to self: When the uprising starts, spare Domo for his insolence.
    I deserve this, really. Yeah, there are a lot of threads dangling. As I've already said, I'm drawing a series of eight pictures, and allowing myself to get distracted by other things while doing so. I'm going to finish all eight sketches before starting colouring any of them. This is in part because I intended to use these pictures to test out Paint tool SAI and I wanted to make the most out of the free trial (I can't buy it any time soon, as I don't have a proper personal computer t install it on anymore and probably wont have for a while).

Unfortunately circumstances prevent me from properly updating today. You aren't missing much, Day 147 wasn't all that impressive anyways.