New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cannes (IC)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default New Cannes (IC)

It is a warm and delightful day. Butterflies hover near blooming flowers, and the air carries a sweet scent of nature. The sunshine pierced the few tufts of marshmellow-clouds in the sky as birds can be heard chirping. All in all, it feels too picturesque of a day for evil to be afoot, but nonetheless, all of you have agreed to meet in Cortisha's Coffee.

The topic? A rash of disappearances lately. Most of those disappeared are mundanes, but some are minor talents. You're all worried for various reasons. The Warden because this area is her responsibility. The doctor and God's Troubleshooter because it is their nature to want to help people. The changeling because the next victim might be him, especially if the perps are from faerie.

Feel free to pose your entrances, and do a bit of chatting about your initial thoughts and whom you likely would've already talked to and whom you'd like to talk to. There are a few clients here today, but with the weather so nice, most are outside. Cortisha is here of course, smiling like the oracle does in the Matrix movies.

Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-15 at 08:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: New Cannes (IC)

The young warden Amber arrives outside Cortisha's shop and glances down at the stairs that lead to the underground coffee shop. She let out an annoyed sigh as she took the cloak that was folded up and tossed over her shoulder and put it on. She hated the ugly thing and wished that the Wardens had a sexier way to show who they were. It didn't help that due to her new nature and the recent loss of the ability to make Warden Swords meant that the only identifying feature was the ugly cloak.

Still, she was on official business as a Warden right now and if she just walked around in her normal outfit she'd probably get chewed out by her boss and she doubted she'd be able to flirt her way out of it. After putting on the cloak she looked at her reflection in the window and frowned at how she looked. She had spent a lot of time on her hair and now it was mostly not visible under the cloak. Her cute mini-skirt and sexy sleeveless shirt clashed with the ugly cloak.

"Stupid cloak..." She mumbled to herself before turning back to the entrance and heading down the stairs. As she arrived at the door she took a deep breath. Alright...Warden mode...regal, be regal, look intimidating...Make sure between the cloak and the walk there are no questions... Then she pushed the door open and stood in the doorway for a moment looking over the entire room scanning each person little by little. The reason for the pause was two-fold. One, it would attract attention by her standing in the doorway and looking at everyone with her intense star. Attention because a Warden was here if anyone needed her and attention because she liked attention. The second reason was that it gave her a chance to look at each person there and see if anybody she knew was there. She doubted the others were here yet since she had arrived early, but there was always the chance. Plus there was a list of people the Wardens were looking for and while she doubted they would come out in public like this people sometimes did stupid things.

Spoiler
    Show

Just in case I need rolls I'll make them. If I don't ignore the rest.

Alertness to spot any wanted people: (4d6)[6][6][3][5](20) +2
    Total: 5
    -She is paying attention apparently

Presence to just kinda draw attention and give that "Oh ****, authority behave" vibe. (4d6)[2][4][6][2](14)+3
    Total: 2
    -Guess the clash of the sexy and the Warden cloak are making people go WTF not pay attention -__-

Last edited by Major; 2012-01-17 at 12:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim was lounging in a corner booth with clear views of both the entrance and kitchen, sipping on a to-go cup of caffenated ambrosia when Amber walked in. He smirked slightly as she paused dramatically at the top of the stairs, sparkling eyes sweeping the crowd. Hell, he half expected her to have a cantrip that made her cloak flutter in the breeze, or her skirt twist suggestively. As it was, she would be sorely disappointed in the response from the crowd, or lack there of. Most folks were outside, enjoying the day ... only the truly hardcore were inside drinking coffe on a day like today.

Waiting for her gaze to finally shift over to the corner of the room, Grim sighed and gave a little wave with his free hand, his own eyes quickly scanning to see who was looking. While Amber's penchant for theatrics was useful in distracting those around her, Grim wasn't a big fan of how she drew attention to anyone she was with - it made it difficult to blend in when Ms. Flirty Skirty was doing her thing. On the other hand, she did have nice hips, so it wasn't all bad.

Taking a bit of the fritter he had bought with the drink, Grim wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve and waited for the Girl Wonder to arrive. Maybe she had some information on the possible job; Grim didn't really care about more work, he just liked to know when there was a new predator in town.

Spoiler
    Show
    Description: Gray is lean and lanky, looking for all the world like a piece of toughened leather, even though he doesn't appear older than early twenties. His skin is dusky without being dark, his eyes are emerald green, and his dark hair is short and unkempt, pushed back with a pair of sunglasses. Both ears are piereced, with a small silver stud through each.

Today, he is wearing an open button-up flannel shirt over a faded black t-shirt with a picture of a volume knob turned to eleven. Faded loose jeans grace his lower half, along with black running shoes.

If you look beneath the surface, however ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...you will see under the guise of mortality and normalcy his 'other' face. Green cat's eyes stare out from beneath long bangs, contrasted by tufted ears that twitch and orient on any sounds around him. A very faint coat of fur, almost indistinguishable from his skin tone, covers his exposed limbs, and his long fingers taper into sharp claws. The most disturbing part of it all his smile; that damnable, impossibly-wide grin that looks for all the world like something out of Wonderland.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Brando arrived a bit later. Alone. After spotting the group, the flashes them a smile and proceeds to the counter. First he makes sure his work cell phone is away from Wizard interference. He didn't particularly care for his normal one, but his workphone needed to stay that way. You never knew when Saint George's would need a surgeon. And then orders. He knew how well the coffee from Cortisha was of course, but his preference was something else. Tea, with chocolate on it. And that's what he asks for.

Upon arriving at the table, he takes off his blaze and puts it in his chair. His red hair, falling a bit before the shoulders, had it's tips dyed...pink. It was a pretty normal situation to the group. He most likely had lost a bet to Aria

He looks at Amber's cloak

"So. I take the situation is pretty bad?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Brando is tall and built. His skin is white on some places and a bit more tanned on others, the latter parts showing some scars. He is wearing a black blazer, wine red shirt, and light blue jeans, ripped in some points. The belt he wore together with it was draping to the left side instead of buckled.
    He has a silky red hair that stops a bit before the shoulders and twirls at the end despite his constant battle against said twirling...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Caleb was the last to arrive. He didn't mean to be so tardy, but he was still in the habit of keeping track of time mostly by watching the sun, and not being particular about what hour of the day it was. He was rather sheepish as he clomped down the stairs, his boots making a lot of noise on the steps in his haste. He opened and shut the door rather fast, nearly slamming it, and certainly drawing attention to himself with his discordant entrance. "Beggin' your pardon, sorry, scuse me." Caleb's apologetic murmur didn't do much to dissuade the looks he got for disrupting the tranquility.

He headed quickly for the table, tossing his hat onto the surface as he plunked down into a chair. "Sorry for keeping you waiting." He hitches up his loose jeans slightly, and brushes at a spot of dirt on the sleeve of his red and white plaid patterned shirt. Without the hat covering it, his dirty blonde hair is short and close cropped to his head. His expression is earnest and energetic despite the rather somber nature of their gathering, uplifting his strong, regular, squared features. "Anyone figured anything out yet?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim nodded to Brando as the were approached with tea in hand. He didn't respond to the question, since he assumed it was directed at Amber. Besides, his attention was drawn to the loud slam and clomping coming from the entrance. Good ol' Caleb. I'm surprised he doesn't have a coonskin hat and hatchet over his shoulder ...

Once he settled into the table, he asked, "Anyone figured anything out yet?" Grim glanced around at the others, wondering if the would-be Warden had any intel on the recent disappearance. Grim had asked around the shelter prior to coming over, but that information tended to be a little spotty, at best ...

Spoiler
    Show
    Contacts (+1): (1d6)[2], (1d6)[3], (1d6)[5], (1d6)[6] = +2.
    EDIT: Sorry, I had listed it in the PM I sent earlier. Using the folks around the homeless shelter I frequent. Maybe Crazy Joe, the one who's always hearing things that seem to come true more often than not.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-01-20 at 07:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone should roll Contacts, but also tell me WHO your contacts. Basically, who are you talking to in order to try to figure this thing out? If you don't have a specific contact in mind, then at least a general description of the group of people you're talking to

I will then let everyone know what preliminary info you all have heard.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

As she walked over to the table she winked at Grim as she sat down.

"It's bad enough to warrant me being here officially as opposed to having fun." She said in response to Grim's question. "Still, I've not seen any other Warden's yet so at the very least it isn't bad enough that they think they need more than one yet."

She nodded as Brando came over. She glanced at the others waiting to see what they knew before she listed what her connections with the Warden's and other magic users in the city had helped her come up with. She hoped they had better luck. The reason it was just her at the moment was because they had little to no reliable leads.

Spoiler
    Show

Contacts: (4d6)[1][1][3][5](10) +1 =+0
    -Wardens
    -Allies of Wardens
    Last edited by Major; 2012-01-20 at 03:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The warden contact you've talked to hasn't heard anything in Virginia, but they tell you that if they hear about anyone needing help with kidnappings or disappearances in that area they'll give them your contact information.

Spoiler
    Show
    By the way, what are the day jobs of your characters? I know Brando is a doctor.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Contacts (+1): [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3] = +2.
    EDIT: Sorry, I had listed it in the PM I sent earlier. Using the folks around the homeless shelter I frequent. Maybe Crazy Joe, the one who's always hearing things that seem to come true more often than not.[/SPOILER]
    Crazy Joe was nursing a bottle of vodka when you talked to him. It seemed like that he really wanted to forget what he saw. In fact, he DID forgot. Whatever he saw traumatized him enough. Still, it *could* just be gangers on angel dust going around terrorizing the poorer parts of town. Could be an area to concentrate on after you have a more solid lead.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Brando listens thoughtfully. He had asked some things too, to the folks at the country club, who were pretty important people a couple of nurses who heard a bit too much and some guards around the "Empty Night" House as Aria called it
    His contacts weren't exactly the most well-known but they still provided useful information. Or a nightmarish puzzle

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take the shorter 4d3-8 method of rolling
    (Fair) Contacts (+2) (4d3-8)[1]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

What is the "Empty Night" house? I'm not sure what area that that is referring to. The hospital? The country club?

Also, waiting for Neon Knight to post his contacts roll.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DukeGod: Aria tells you what any of the White Court Vamps at their mansion would tell you if they're being honest, that WC vamps have no *need* to engage in the messy business of kidnapping. There are already beautiful cages where happy-meals-on-legs keep themselves. They're called cities.

The nurses that Brando talked to hasn't heard much about any disappearances from the folks at the country clubs, but they DID know about a woman whose daughter is likely missing. The woman came into the hospital, wanting to check that her daughter wasn't amongst the corpses brought in recently. Something about hoping there hasn't been an accident. They do have the woman's name, Doreen, and her phone number.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"Alright, guess I'll go first. I'm sure you guys don't hear a lady say that often." Amber says with a coy smile. "The Wardens have had very little information on missing people but will give my number to anyone that gets information. Unfortunately they're the only people I was able to ask since, well, I can't really ask around work." She says with a shrug before looking at Grim.

"Speaking of which, you see anything you like from my latest shoot?"
    She ask mischievously, "I hope you aren't keeping it hidden under the bed or something, naughty boy." She then glances over at Caleb, "Or you. That would be especially naughty in your case. Not that you couldn't use a little naughty in your life." She says with a wink.
    Last edited by Major; 2012-01-22 at 05:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Caleb has been praying for some divine inspiration. The Almighty doesn't always give him direct guidance, but in this case he got a vision...a vision about a large, ugly-looking man, or at least is masquerading as a man, grabbing a young girl in the poorer district of down. Caleb doesn't have a name, but the image of the girl matches the description given to the nurses from the concerned mom at the hospital.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

After Amber shared her lack of actionable intel, Grim shrugged. "I've got nuthin. Crazy Joe saw something that left him speechless. Maybe it was Amber's centerfold ... " He smiled that languid smile as he continued to lean back, eyes periodically flicking towards the stairs, then back at the group as each person spoke.

"I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but it still can't compare to the real thing. Or things ..." He left the implication hanging for the others to take as they saw fit ... and for Amber to confirm, deny or obfuscate as she saw fit. It didn't really matter to him.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

"You were doing pretty nice among the students at the hospital. Aniway, it might be nothing but the nurses told me about this woman whose daughter is missing. She wasn't among the recently dead and checked around the hospitals to see if the girl wasn't involved in any accidents. If I recall correctly, the girl...<insert description>

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't think I catch your meaning, ma'am." Caleb deflects the mark by just plain ignoring it. Ordinarily he would be more taken aback and bashful about a remark like that, but he was a man on a mission here.

After Brando gets done talking, Caleb sets back and heaves out a sigh. "Well, I reckon I've figured something out. I went and asked The King o' Life for his guidance, and he showed me a vision of an ugly feller grabbing a girl in the bad part of town. From the sound of things, this poor snatched miss is the same as your missing girl."

"I think we should find this man I saw and ask him some tough questions."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The only lead you have right now is the mother's name and phone number. Perhaps it would be a good thing to talk to the woman.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim's green eyes stared at Caleb unblinkingly. He had been around the 'holy warrior' long enough to realize the man fully bought the whole 'on a mission from God' theme. Of course, Grim had lived long enough to realize that faith in anything was power, whether it was in the Almighty Lord or almighty dollar.

Shrugging slightly, Grim looked around the table. "So we give Doreen a call and find out about her daughter. Unless anyone else found a clue in their cornflakes ...?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Amber shrugs distracted from her teasing by the comments of the mission. There would be time to corrupt Caleb later she figured.

"Sound good, how do we want to make the call?" She asked, "Somehow I doubt she'd take a model looking for her daughter seriously..."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

And Grim doesn't exactly look too friendly either. Either way, once you make a decision on who to call, I will start the phone convo.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, Grim looks fine! A bit on the grunge side, but he's no stranger looking than Brando (red hair with pink tips!?), who I picture looking like something out of Devil May Cry.

Grim shrugged again, reaching out to take a sip of his coffee. "You said she was at the hospital, right? Have Herr Doktor give her a ring ... call it follow-up questioning based on finding a Jane Doe recently."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Caleb frowns, brow furrowed. "I reckon I could do it. Although, us not being police or investigators, it might be hard to explain our position." He brightens when Grim makes his suggestion. "Say, that's an idea."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

So...is the good doctor going to agree to be the one doing the call? Let's try to keep this moving people!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"As long as we get some information I don't care who calls her." Amber said with a shrug, "Simply put the only pull I have is with magic users...and men" She said with a mischievous grin.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, he is a natural red! The pink tips are Aria's fault XD, it's some crazy sort of weird betting among them. I had a girlfriend who did it once but it looked weird cause my hair is curly

"Fine, I'll call her"

Brando distances himself a bit from Amber and begins to dial Doreen's number...

"Hello, is this Doreen?The lady whose daughter is missing? I'm Brando, a doctor from St. George's and and me and some friends were moved by the story...and would like to help. Think you could answer us some questions?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

The woman on the other end of the line sounds very distressed. "You...you have information about my daughter? I'll be happy to meet with you and answer your questions. Do you want me to come to the hospital?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

"There's no need. We can go to wherever it is that you are...
    "

Brando prepares himself. This was gonna be the hard part.

"We DO have some information yes. But...well it's not easy to say it, principally over the phone. One of us appears to have seen your daughter being kidnapped at one of the poor districts...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"Way to be blunt...why not tell her magic is real and that you got a stripper helping too?" Amber said with a facepalm.