New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Barren Wastelands Reboot (IC)

The four of you are enjoying some fine dinin' (as far as that can be had) in Krill on the Grill, the Barren's premiere soy-based seafood-replica delicatessen. Today you all are trying one of Taurus's new creations. Usually this means either pretty decent food as far as it goes in the Barrens, or a run on the single restroom available in the establishment. On occasion, fights have broken out over who gets to use the facilities first. The Barrens has been even quieter than usual lately. Almost like the calm before a storm...

(Azktor feel free to fluff the dish and describe Krill on the Grill however you want)

The other patrons of this establishment are having mixed reactions to this dish.

(Feel free to do some roleplay. Stuff may happen soon. You guys can have whatever gear with you that you'd normally carry to your favorite hangout place. The owner of this place is usually willing to give a big discount to Bic the less she wears. Advertising is advertising)
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-06-11 at 12:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Barren Wastelands Reboot (IC)

As usual, Bic waits before eating, gauging everyone else's reaction to the food before eating any herself. When the general populace doesn't seem to get sick, although a number seem to not like it, Bic takes a small taste to test the waters. When everything seems fine, she eats happily, her bare back displaying a smiling cat, swishing it's tail back and forth.

Mmm... this is why I always eat here... perfect for my palate! And clean for the barrens too... Bic says, pretending to talk to herself, but she winks at a patron she noticed looking at her. With a small sigh, she returns to eating her meal, hoping her acting will result in another free meal.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Taurus decided that tonight he would do KrillCrab Cake as the Chef's Special. He starts mixing Krill with Soy-flavored Crab with and some artificial seasoning (onion and garlic) and deep fry it until it is crispy and golden on the outside.

Taurus says to Felicia Henderson when she came to get the new portion of Krill Crab Cake."Oh god, It's hot today, would kill for some cold Synthacohol!"

Krill on the Grill Menu:

Tonight Chef's Special: is KrillCrab Cake: Krill and Soy-flavored crab Cakes -12 units.

NPC's on the Krill on the Grill:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gordon Henderson: Owner/Cashier of the restaurant he is a fat, small, bald old guy a little greedy but besides that he is nice.
    Felicia Henderson: Old gray-haired woman she is also the Waitress on Krill on the Grill and Gordon's Wife. She is really bossy and usually get's things donne her way, but she is nice to the customers.

Will roll on the Crab Cake:
    Spoiler
    Show
    KrillCrab Cake roll: (6d6)[1][1][4][4][4][5](19)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Tych0 slips in to Krill on the Grill, with a grin. He walks briskly to his normal seat, second booth from the end of the row, sitting facing the door. As he walks past Bic, he lets his eyes wander over for and quickly glances away if she pays him the least bit of attention. Settling into the well worn, cheap vinyl booth seat, he sighs and brushes his mop of hair out of his face. He eyes the menu, and decides to splurge on the special and a cool glass of whatever snythalcohol they've got.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

The room was spinning.

"Tych0! Friend! Frrriend!"

But it was spinning less than last night, Rover thought.

Rover awkwardly jogged over to Tych0's booth and plopped himself down next to him. He was wearing clothes that looked lived in; ripped neon yellow beach shorts, a stained baseball cap, and a blue t-shirt with a picture of a cartoon shark on it. Oddly, Rover had no aroma about him, although he still gave off that dirty 'Barrens' feel.

"Friend! Old friend! Best of friends! Do you like the shirt? I love this old thing!"

He immediately ordered 2 synthalcohols, even though it was clear he had already had too many.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Ick. Great, some dope all hopped up on some funky ****. Scum. God, looks like he hasn't bathed in forever. Well, I guess not bathing may not have been his choice, but turning to... whatever he's on is disgusting.

Bic sighed as she finished the rest of her plate, stretched and stood up. I need to go before that man notices me and tries to talk to me. Being seen with such filth will damage Bic's image, but hs eis much too nice to complain.

After putting her shoes back on, she waves the owner over. "Hello daaaahling! The food was majestic. My favorite, as always. I'll have to send my friend over to try the chef special! What was it called again? Oh well, I must run... I've got to go meet with. Oh! I shouldn't tell. Well, anyways, thanks!" Bic sort of bounces without really moving. A well honed spring in her movements. She gave the man a quick kiss on the cheek and bounced off. Don't say anything old man, that kiss would normally cost more than this meal.
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2013-06-12 at 11:18 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Taurus takes advantage that there are not new orders to him to take a look on the front of the restaurant.
    He sees a couple of his regular clients: the hot woman kissing Gordon on the cheek "Oh man! I hope Felicia do not notice that."; Tych0 talking to the hobo Rover "Felicia don't like him but I don't care if he eats here, I've been in his shoes one day." Taurus give them both a nod with the head wishing that he could join then and drink. He then returns to cook because Felicia was already looking him ugly.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Fantastic...Rover... Tych0 sighs softly, rolling his eyes a bit while feigning a congenial smile.

"Oh, hey man! Long time...yeah, great shirt. Those shorts sure are...um...something too," he says, chuckling awkwardly.

In the mean time, he expands his social networks feed with a blink and starts scrolling through posts made by complete strangers he met on the Matrix. Then he goes through his agent feeds for hits on media searches. Makes a post about his choice of dinner to his food blog network, and finally checks the messages on his most recently created account for "work," he sighs again when he sees nothing, and looks past the AR display at Rover, tuning in just long enough to get the gist of his drunken ramblings.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Just as Bic was giving the old, bald man a kiss and before she can bounce off, the front doors to the place are openly rather loudly, and 4 men (2 humans, an elf, and an orc) enter, dressed mostly in trench coats of some sort. There are obvious bulges under their coats, so it they are obvioud carrying weapons. They scan the place and the orc sneers as he says, "Nice place. Perfect to serve as one of our new outposts. HEY, WHO'S THE OWNER OF THIS PLACE?" The elf gives Bic a lustful, possessive look.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Bic puts on her dumb face and tilts her head, looking confused to buy her a moment. Esmeralda's mind raced, using the few moments to forge a plan. Stall longer was the only thought she came up with. The food here is really super good! It would make a great outpost!

Bouncing over to the doorway between the main room and the kitchen. She slipped through the door and then stormed over to the troll.Please, Bic whispered, don't let thugs take over your shop. I don't like the idea of them taking over. They might kill the old man. Please?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Taurus is doing another meal, when he hear some loud noise coming from the eating place "Whatta hell?! I bet it is another drunken making a fuss." Taurus grabs his Cleaver in one hand and put his shotgun (already loaded) in the back of his pants.
    He is about to get out from the kitchen when the hot chick that usually eats here come from the door screaming.

Taurus seems tense, but not afraid. "Calm down! How many they are?! Did they hurt anyone? He says that already going close to the kitchen door ready to open.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2013-06-17 at 06:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Bic looks at the floor, pretending to be embarrassed and scared. There's um.. like four! And they are scary and mean and they have buldges in their trench coats, and they are scary! Bic whines a bit at the end, clearly panicking.

They are looking for the owner. I got scared and ran in here. I really like it here, but I will never go to a place being used as a gang outpost. Too dangerous and stuff! Bic realized she had grabbed the troll's arm, and let go. Don't get all hurt! But save the store! And your boss! And me!

Esmeralda regretted having left the house with only a knife hidden under her belt, but how was she to know a simple outting for food would have come to this? Her gun lay uselessly in her apartment. Luckily, this huge troll in front of her looked capable. And that other old bag who worked here probably had a gun. If not... well, I've gotten out of worse situations. Truth was, as scared as Bic was acting, Esmeralda felt just as scared. She had heard a lot of stories of thugs kidnapping pretty elves, and having the women never heard from again.
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2013-06-17 at 06:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Tych0 sips at his drink just as the thugs bust through the door. With a blink the puzzling layer of ARdisplays in his cyber eyes are gone. He raises an eyebrow as he watches the hot elf chick book it for the kitchen, his eyes moving quickly to her ass for a second.

"Now, what do these *******s want?" he says under his breath, mostly talking to himself and not really to the drunk he is sharing the booth with.

He leans back, feigning disinterest, as he Pulls the little Colt Asp revolver from the waistband of his pants.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rover could feel the hairs on his body stand on end. Wandering the streets for so many years had given him a good feeling for when someone was itching for a fight. His natural instinct was to want to get the hell out of there.

For some reason though, the guys who had walked in didn't sit right with him today. This is why he hated drinking; sometimes it was worse than the uppers he liked in the sense that it gave so much false confidence.

The young man started emptying out his pockets, frantically looking for something in his beach shorts. He tossed aside his cheap commlink, an item that looked like a wallet, and a disgusting piece of old gum in a wrapper. The wrapper landed on Tych0's lap.

But he'd found what he wanted and placed it on his neck. He mumbled a few words to himself and suddenly seemed a bit different, the magic words obvious to anyone who was paying attention.

Rover stood up, a slap-patch clearly visible on the right side of his neck. The Cram was already starting to kick in and it manifested itself in Rover's cybereyes rapidly cycling colors, probably twenty times in a single minute.

They were still cycling when he stood up, still by the booth.

"HOI!!! What's wrong with you?" he yelled towards the men who had just walked in.

He thumped his pitiful looking chest and then pointed towards the cartoon shark on his shirt. "Can't you see this is SHARKS territory? You're interrupting my buddy's meal! We don't like interruptions."

He tried placing his hand on Tych0's shoulder and gave him a sheepish smile.

Spoiler
    Show

Rover takes Cram. Duration = 12 - Body hours = 12- 2 = 10 hours.
    Effects: +1 Reaction, + 1 initiative pass.

Rover casts Increase Willpower at Force 5 on himself.
    Magic 4 + Power Focus 2 + Spellcasting 4 + Health specialization 2 = 12 dice. (12d6)[6][2][3][3][6][2][5][1][3][3][6][3](43)
    Results: 4 hits. Willpower increased to 7. -2 to most tests for sustaining spell.

Rover casts Increase Charisma at Force 5 on himself.
    Magic 4 + Power Focus 2 + Spellcasting 4 + Health specialization 2 - 2 for sustaining Increase Willpower = 10 dice. (10d6)[2][3][5][2][4][4][1][4][3][4](32)
    Results: 1 hit. Charisma increased to 5. -2 to most tests for sustaining spell.

Rover resists Drain for Increase Willpower at Force 5.
    Drain Code = (Force / 2, rounded down, -2) = 5/2 -2 = 2 -2 (minimum 1) = 1Stun
    Drain roll = Willpower 3 + Charisma 4 = 7 dice. (7d6)[4][2][5][1][3][3][1](19)
    [rollv]
    Results: 1 hit. No drain damage taken.

Last edited by Abombom; 2013-06-17 at 04:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Rover resists Drain for Increase Charisma Force 5.
    Drain Code = (Force / 2, rounded down, -2) = 5/2 -2 = 2 -2 (minimum 1) = 1Stun
    Drain roll = Willpower 7 + Charisma 4 = 11 dice. (11d6)[6][4][2][3][1][1][5][6][5][3][3](39)
    Results: 4 hits. No drain taken.
    Last edited by Abombom; 2013-06-17 at 04:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

At first Tych0 almost feels sorry for the sodding idiot. He shakes his head lightly as he brushes the gum wrapper off his lap to the floor. Then, as Rover stands, supremely confident and almost...intimidating, Tych0's eyes widen.

"What...the...drek...?" he says to himself below his breath, tightening his grip on the small snub nosed revolver under the table and watching the scene unfold around him.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Taurus hears Rover screaming some provocation to the thugs. "Oh damn! I really don't want to clean hobo's brain from the windows today!" Taurus grabs another kitchen knife and goes to the dining place, before leaving he says: "If everything goes down and a gunfire start, turn off the lights! I can manage myself without it." He points where is the fuse-box in the kitchen.

Then everybody in the room can see a huge troll marching through the doors, wearing a white apron and chef's hat with a Cleaver in one hand and a Kitchen knife in the other hand and says: "WHATTA HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!" He then punches the counter with all his strength to make a big *BLAM* "Leave now you ****ers!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength roll to punch the counter: (9d6)[1][3][2][5][6][6][4][3][2](32) - 3hits
    Intimidation roll: (6d6)[5][4][1][3][2][3](18) - 1hit
    My character is punching the counter to maybe get some bonus in my intimidation attemption, if not possible just ignore the strength roll or just use it for visual effects!
    I also turned Taurus's Pain Editor on.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2013-06-19 at 01:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Bic smiles as the troll runs off to save the restaurant, and intentionally or not, her. Killing the lights at the first sound of gunfire would be easy enough, so Bic sets about reading the labels on the fuse box and puts her hand on the switch that will darken the whole building.

The first slam she hears makes her jump, but it wasn't gunfire so she waits, prepared to put her enemies and her savior into a blanket of darkness. Her cyber gear might help her in the fight too, but she wasn't going out there in her dress with a knife against gangsters with guns. Besides, that troll was huge!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Base perception pool for the most perceptive ganger = 5 DP.
    The 4 gangers make a group perception test @ +1 die per extra character (max +5). +3 DP
    The gangers are not specifically looking for spellcasting at the moment, so counts as being distracted. -2 DP

Total of 6 dice. Threshhold to notice Force 5 Spellcasting = 1.
    (5d6)[6][2][5][4][3](20)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Rover rolls for initiative.
    Reaction 1 + Intuition 3 + Cram 1 - Sustaining Spells 4 = 1 initiative die. (1d6)[3](3)
    Results: 0 hits.

Rover spends a point of Edge to go first in the first initiative pass. Edge reduced to 4 from 5.

Body: 2
    Armor: None
    Ballistic/Impact: 0/0
    Reaction: 1
    Dodge skill: n/a
    Suffering -4 to most tests due to sustaining two spells.

Last edited by Abombom; 2013-06-18 at 05:27 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

The perceptive orc points to Rover and shouts, "Hey YOU! STOP!" He starts reaching inside his trench-coat...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Always keep your head down. That’s what sis always said. Now look…

Rover saw the aggression in the orc’s eyes and he could suddenly feel the dread pouring over him. Everything was happening so fast. One hand still on his chest, he tried feeling the armored clothing he always wore when he went out and suddenly realized he had drunkenly forgot to wear it as he rushed out the door that day.

I’m a dead man.

His eyes darted from the orc to Tych0 and back to his chest. He looked behind him, no door in sight. A window to his right… Maybe he could go back to the kitchen? Not too many options. The spells he had cast were distracting him, getting to his head. He quickly dropped one of them. The fear was still overwhelming.

But the Cram helped now, rushing through his system, giving him a feeling of invulnerability, far greater than any piece of NeoKevlar™ could ever give. Alcohol and uppers should never be combined, some ditzy clubrat had once told him. Too much energy, with the courage to make some stupid decisions.

It was time to make another stupid decision.

Spoiler
    Show

Turn 1, Initiative Pass 1.

Rover stops sustaining his Increase Charisma spell as a Free action. Charisma reduced to 4 from 5.

Movement: Rover moves behind the table, next to Tych0, hoping for partial cover.

Rover is going to attempt to multi-cast two Stunballs as a Complex Action. Dice pool must be split up. Base dice pool = Spellcasting 4 + Magic 4 + Power Focus 2. Base spellcasting dice pool = 10 dice

(1) Rover overcasts Stunball at Force 7. He allocates 5 of his 10 base dice. Rover spends a point of edge to add his Edge attribute to the test, and allowing all 6’s to become re-rolls.
    Base 5 – Sustaining Spell 2 + Edge 5 =8 dice
    (8d6)[2][5][6][1][3][4][2][1](24)
    Results: 2 hits.

(2) Rover overcasts a second Stunball at Force 5. He allocates 5 of his 10 base dice. Rover spends a point of edge to add his Edge attribute to the test, and allowing all 6’s to become re-rolls.
    Base 5 – Sustaining Spell 2 + Edge 5 = 8 dice.
    (8d6)[6][3][3][4][2][3][6][2](29)
    Results: 4* hits.

(3) Rover resists drain for Stunball at Force 7. Drain is physical due to overcasting. Base Drain = (Force/2, rounded down) +1 = 4P. Additional + 1 to drain due to multi-casting 2 spells. Drain = 5P.
    Rover spends a point of edge to add his Edge attribute to the test, and allowing all 6’s to become re-rolls.Drain dice pool = Willpower 7 + Charisma 4 + Edge 5 = 16dice.
    (16d6)[2][3][1][3][4][4][2][2][5][5][4][6][4][3][3][6](57)
    Results: 6* hits. Drain reduced to 0, no damage taken.

(4) Rover resists drain for Stunball at Force 5. Drain is physical due to overcasting. Base Drain = (Force/2, rounded down) +1 = 3P. Additional + 1 to drain due to multi-casting 2 spells. Drain = 4P.
    Drain dice pool = Willpower 7 + Charisma 4 = 11 dice.
    (11d6)[2][3][1][4][6][2][5][5][4][2][3](37)
    Results: 3 hits. Rover takes 1 Physical damage.

3 edge used, edge reduced from 4/5 to 1/5.

*Additional hits from next 2 posts~

Stun track: 12/12
    Physical track: 8/9
    Body: 2
    Armor: None
    Ballistic/Impact: 0/0
    Reaction: 1 (2)
    Dodge skill: n/a
    On Cram. Suffering -2 to most tests due to sustaining one spell.
    Last edited by Abombom; 2013-06-19 at 12:05 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(cont.)
    Rule of Six (reroll pre-declared use of edge 6’s for chance at further hits)

(1)(1d6)[1](1)

(2)(2d6)[5][6](11)

(3)(2d6)[6][2](8)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(cont.)
    Rule of Six (reroll pre-declared use of edge 6’s for chance at further hits)
    (2)(1d6)[1](1)
    (3)(1d6)[6](6)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The two humans in the back scream out in pain for a few excruciating seconds before they suddenly crumple to the ground, unconscious. The orc and the elf also scream, but they remain standing for now. They look have they're having the BIGGEST headache of their lives!

The bystander also falls unconscious after clutching her head in pain.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-06-19 at 04:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Tych0 moves his eye-wide and slack jawed gaze from Rover to the intruders and back again, amazed. He had no idea the smelly hobo had that kind of mojo...what what his deal?

Snapping himself out of it, he finally jumps to his feet after seeing the two humans crumple to the floor. He flashes his gun and points it at the elf and the orc. "Looks like you're down two guys...I suggest you leave. Now."

Spoiler
    Show
    Tych0 tries to remember if he's seen these goons around before, or who they might work for.
    Knowledge: Barrens Gangs: (6d6)[4][6][1][4][6][5](26)

And takes aim at the elf, holding his gun steady, waiting for them to make the first move - delay action until they try something.
    Last edited by kind_of_a_ROBOT; 2013-06-20 at 11:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, TYCH0 delays. Next up is Tauren. Who else is delaying? Please post in the IC thread.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Then everybody in the room can see a huge troll marching through the doors, wearing a white apron and chef's hat with a Cleaver in one hand and a Kitchen knife in the other hand and says: "WHATTA HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!" He then punches the counter with all his strength to make a big *BLAM* "Leave now you ****ers!" Taurus says to the remaining of the thugs.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using the rolls from last post:
    Strength roll to punch the counter: (9d6)[1][3][2][5][6][6][4][3][2](32) - 3hits
    Intimidation roll: (6d6)[5][4][1][3][2][3](18) - 1hit
    My character is punching the counter to maybe get some bonus in my intimidation attemption, if not possible just ignore the strength roll or just use it for visual effects!
    I also turned Taurus's Pain Editor on.
    Last edited by Azktor; 2013-06-20 at 01:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The elf is sufficiently scared to be reduced to just dragging one of his unconscious buddies back out. The orc, however, reaches into his coat and pulls out a grenade-like object of some sort

Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and assert your initiative, assuming this is something you'd like to interrupt.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Seeing the ork reach into his jacket, Tych0 takes careful aim and squeezes the trigger, his Colt Asp snaps off loudly in the small diner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Simple action - Take Aim for ork's shoulder

Simple action, fire gun - Pistols (Automatics +2): (10d6)[1][1][1][2][2][4][1][3][4][4](23)