New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cannes (IC)

1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: New Cannes (IC)

Spoiler
    Show

Grrrr choices, choices, on one hand I don't think I can win this fight so the Fate point is like paying to lose vs getting paid to walk away. On the other hand her ego and comments just make me want to go at it even more.

Amber frowns as she clenches her fist. With her regional commander here in this very room she knew her actions would be closely watched. On one hand if she just gave up that easily and paid the vampire to help clean up their own mess she would look weak. On the other hand the vampire was right and she was new. If she kept going she might look like more of an idiot. She is quiet for a minute as she weighs the two options. Give up right in front of her boss without a fight or start this social battle and possibly look like an idiot.

Finally she makes her decision. If she just gave up without even trying it'd probably look worse than if she at least tried. Better a new Warden that was willing to try and stand up to the enemy then one that got pushed around.

Spoiler
    Show

Spending the fate point because I think it is in her character. ESPECIALLY with her boss there. Sure she is afraid of failing, but she doesn't want to look like a Warden that just lets people make demands right off the bat.

I'll wait till your maneuver roll before I reply in character with words.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aria attempts: Social Maneuver
    Using: Deceit
    To Place: "Having Doubts" aspect
    Targetting: Amber
    Who Defends using: Rapport or Empathy

Deceit at Great (+4): (4d3-4)[5]

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Will double post, once to see results of defense (doubt I'll succeed) and once to actually post.

Can someone explain the subtraction mechanic? Debating trying that for future rolls

Rapport: (4d6)[6][6][2][6](20) +2
    Total: 4 O.o
    Edit: Damn, it was vs 5. So close. Curse you 2!
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-07 at 08:37 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

While Amber is determined to win, she knows the White Court Vampire is right. She was a minor new person trying to compete with a woman who specialized in word plays and manipulating the laws.

"[COLOR="Blue"How long I've been doing this is irrelevant. I've been learning how to use the supernatural laws for a lot longer than you might imagine. Regardless of who wants to avoid a fight I am not going to be pushed around and forced into cleaning the White Court's mess. While I do indeed wish to prevent deaths by paying you to clean up something your own court made a mess of I'd be paying you to cause trouble. That's not something I'm willing to do and I'm sure the White Council would agree."[/COLOR] Amber says with a frown. "If anything by assisting and aiding us without trying to make demands it shows that you are willing to clean up after a troublesome member of your court. It would go a long way towards cleaning up when it shows that you are aiding and willing to work with the White Council to deal with this man who is making the White Court look bad. Helping us not only helps us deal with this rogue member of your court, but it helps give a show and makes things run smoothly. You said yourself it wasn't the White Court's MO, if anything his actions are an insult to you as well as me."

Spoiler
    Show

Skills
    Superb (+5): Conviction, Discipline
    Great (+4): Weapons, Lore
    Good (+3): Presence, Endurance
    Fair (+2): Alertness, Rapport, Resources
    Average (+1): Athletics, Contacts, Deceit, Stealth, Craftsmanship

Unless I am missing something I can only roll deceit as an attack right? Rest of my social skills are defenses?

Amber is more the type to try and throw it all down so I'll launch a social attack.

(4d6)[5][4][5][3](17) +1 unless I can use a skill in a way I don't realize.
    Total: +3, +4 if rapport
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-07 at 11:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

(While Deceit is a popular skill to use on the offense, is it far from the only one. It all depends on HOW you want to win a conflict *and* what you define as the victory condition. For example, if all you are trying to do is, via conversion, to instill a false sense of security in someone so that in turn later that person hires much less security at a place you wish to infiltrate, then you'd want to use Deceit for sure. If you want to convince someone that your view of things is right, you might use Rapport...assuming you're doing it honestly. Deceit might be better if you're trying to LIE to someone about the fact (or misrepresent it somehow) to get them to agree with you on a situation. For example political debates and advertisements are about 10% Rapport and 90% Deceit as there are possibly grains of truths, but mostly distorted facts or outright lies. Intimidation can also be used on the attack, if you just want someone to say...back down before the situation devolves into a bar brawl. Or if Gentleman Marcone wants you to do something

So, that said, what is your *main* strategy you wish to pursue? Do you want to Intimidate Aria into giving in to help you for free, implying that the White Council is not to be trifled with? Or are you gonna use Rapport to give her a good logical reason why helping you might be beneficial for her as well? Your last post seems to lean towards Intimidate (although you're not doing a very good job of it in that particular post) because you don't seem to be convincing her that your point of view is the good one, and instead you're saying that the White Council wouldn't agree with payment.)

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    It is kinda a mix. I tried to make it intimidating because I didn't know Rapport could be used offensively. Ultimately my goal is a mix of rapport/intimidation. Mainly I think that logically it is silly for us to aid and assist them when it is cleaning up a mess a member of their court started. So it is mostly rapport, but with the point of 'if you can't see reason I'll remind you we have power'.

So rapport is the primary with a point of 'Ya know, we DO have power' intimidation. I'd think Rapport is best and more fitting the character...as evidenced by how she lacks 'intimidation' as a skill. Not sure how I missed that one, but I do :P

So my victory condition is more logic, because I know as well as she does that neither of us wants to pick a fight. At the same time I'm trying to explain why it is silly for me to pay to fix their problems. As described in the comment of "I'd be paying you to cause trouble"
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-07 at 11:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Aria likely already understands that point logically, so you don't really need to convince her of it. Her stance is, "So what? You're the one in a time crunch here." So if you'll need to go further or pick a different argument in order to make an efficient attack. Do you want to revise your post slightly?

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aria likely already understands that point logically, so you don't really need to convince her of it. Her stance is, "So what? You're the one in a time crunch here." So if you'll need to go further or pick a different argument in order to make an efficient attack. Do you want to revise your post slightly?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is it possible to have a victory condition similar to rapport but use intimidation attacks along with it? I'll revise the post then. Trying to figure out the best way to get rapport to convince her she should help.

Edit: How is that? Using the laws to try and encourage them to aid in the capture of this guy because it benefits both and giving a nice show.
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-07 at 11:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure. You might use Intimidation attacks to help you out. Aria will be using both Deceit and Rapport to make Amber feel that "she can't win so she migth as well give in." Mixes can work. Remember, if you are using that rapport, you're attempting to reach a deal without deceit or threat. If you can come up with another mutually-beneficial reason for her or the White Court to help you, she might do it. Of course you'll need to do it before she chews through your Social stress track.

Your revised post is an excellent example of using Rapport.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-09-08 at 12:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Aria Defends against Amber's Social Rapport Attack with Rapport at Good (+3): (4d3-5)[3]

Aria takes one social stress damage. I will post more maybe late tomorrow night.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-09-08 at 02:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Aria nods. "It is true that we do pride ourselves in running things smoothly, but is that not also the same for YOU as well? The White Court is already secure in this town, while the White Council is...less entrenched. If word gets out that you are *failing* to protect the mortals in this area in a timely manner, then the White Council wil suffer a big hit in reputation. I am sure that the White Council would HATE to look weak in the eyes of the supernatural community, whereas if you accede to *my* demands, this matter stays between you and me. The world doesn't have to know that White Council capitulated to the White Court. Instead it'll only be *you* who owes me a few favors, and probably not too many people will know about that."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aria attempts: Social Attack
    Using: Deceit

Deceit at Great (+4): (4d3-4)[6]
    If Aria at least ties your defense roll, Aria will use her free tag on the "Having Doubts" aspect to get an additional +2 damage on the roll

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Rapport
    (4d6)[6][6][5][4](21) +2
    Total: +5
    Will edit in results and make any attacks, etc once I know the results
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-09 at 02:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Three social damage, at this point I'm definitely considering conceding, but at the same time with no consequences not much point...cashing out at least will get me a fate point or two if I wait. And as long as I only grab small consequences it'll recover quickly with only one scene...

Eh, taking a mild consequence so only one stress damage "FLUSTERED"

A frown crosses her mind as the doubt causes her to become more flustered at the woman's words. "While I agree with you that it would be bad for us at the same time if you assist us it could be used in the future. Wouldn't it be nice to have a little thing in the back of your pocket when discussing future bigger matters? Imagine another meeting where you could mention that you were willing to work and ally with the White Council in catching rogues showing that you are helpful. You could use that as leverage for any request for help you might need in the future."

Spoiler
    Show

Rapport again (social attack)
    (4d6)[3][6][3][4](16)+2
    Total: 3
    Edit: Damn that's bad >.>
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-09 at 02:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Remember, in order to Cash Out, you must have sustained a Moderate consequences (or worse) within this scene. So, if you concede after taking just a minor consequence, then no Fate Points are awarded.

Aria Defends vs Amber's Social (Rapport) attack using Rapport. (4d3-5)[2]
    Aria takes one more social stress.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-09-09 at 06:06 PM.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Aria shakes her head. "You don't get it do you? Appearing 'kind and helpful' towards mortals does not exactly build 'street cred' within the spernatural community. The standard procedure would be to maneuver the situation to look as if we 'one-upped' your White Council. This is why you should consider my proposal carefully. I am giving you a way to leave the White Council out of this, keep the whole situation more low-key, and all for the low-low price of personally owing me a few favors. I wouldn't even ask you to do anything that'd break the laws of magic. Isn't that a sacrifice a Warden should be willing to make?" She gives Amber a sweet smile.

Aria attempts: Social Maneuver
    Using: Rapport
    To Place: "She sounds reasonable" aspect

Rapport at Good (+3): (4d3-5)[7]
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-09-09 at 06:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, damn it. Thought it was just +1 per consequence and that in order to concede it had to cost you something be it a moderate or some RP plot hook later?

Defense
    (4d6)[5][2][5][1](13)+2
    Total: 2, failure

Again, will post once results are known.
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-09 at 06:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

She sounds reasonable... Amber thought to herself with a frown. Her opponent sounded reasonable and she hated it. If she just gave in it would look bad, it would look like she could be bought or blackmailed. And the last thing she wanted was to become the puppet or pawn of some White Court Vampire. If she kept going it was unlikely she would win, but if she gave up she doubted these 'favors' would be something simple. They were never simple and they'd be used to screw her more in the future.

After a moment of hesitation she spoke, though it was forced. "It isn't that I don't trust you, but with such vague comments of 'owed favors' and 'sacrifice' and 'low low price' all you are doing is causing me to be even more against it. It is never a simple matter with supernatural beings and I'm not just going to agree to such vague terms that could screw me over." She states crossing her arms, "It isn't a matter of sacrifice any more than it is a matter of saying you defend mortals gives you street cred. What I'm saying is that while it might not be that big a deal if you keep it low-key I will keep it low-key, but I will mention to the White Council that you were willing and eager to assist us in catching a criminal. Then in the future if a problem comes up you can ask us to scratch your back. Let's not try and make it an official favor owed, but simply that common underlying measure of diplomacy and being an ally. By forcing favors it comes across as intimidation or black mail, which ends up resulting in a negative impact. It might help you this once to charge me, but it will help more in the long run to make a good rapport and ally with me. You can force me into one favor, or you can cause me to believe you to be an understanding and helpful being and thus when you need help I'll be inclined to help you as a way of saying 'thank you' instead of saying 'debt is paid'."

Spoiler
    Show

Social Attack
    (4d6)[6][5][4][3](18) +2
    Total: 4
    -If possible and I get at least her defense can I spend a fate point to invoke 'Never Let Them Get Too Close' (my aspect) as a 'She's determined to convince them in order to avoid letting them force her to get close and work with her. A motivation almost?
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-09 at 07:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You have a fate point left?

Aria Defends vs Amber's Social (Rapport) attack using Rapport. (4d3-5)[0]

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Aria spends one of her Fate Points to invoke one of her Aspects, "Manipulator of the Courts" in order to get a re-roll.

(4d3-5)[4]

If Amber spends a Fate Point, then Aria will take 2 more social stress.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-09-09 at 07:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Only one left, but yes I have one. I haven't spent that many and you gave me an extra one back at the titty bar. So I'll spend it to give her some social damage. I need to try and hit her hard and fast to push my way through it rather than just get creamed once she starts throwing the big hits.

*shakes fist at that reroll* Curses. Shame I can't block a reroll.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Aria laughs. "Well, no matter how thankful you may be, I don't think you'd agree to temporarily work at one of the White Court's...special establishments like the Dancing Nymph, even if it is for a good cause. In fact, you'll be helping mortals as part of the undercover job. If I am wrong, then please correct me about this."

Aria's attack continues depending on how you answer. Any of you may roll Contacts (as a knowledge roll in this case) to see what kinds of things you've heard about the Dancing nymph.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you get a result of 0 or less, you haven't heard of the place.
    If you get a result of 1, you heard...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...that the Dancing Nymph is a special club that combines boxing/MMA style entertainment with strip-club entertainment.

If you get a result of 2 or more, you heard..
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...everything contained in the previous info, and also that the girls there are only allowed high heels and body jewelry, and that sex is a commonly-provided service.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

(4d6)[4][5][3][4](16) +1
    Total: 2

Will edit it in character reply based on knowledge.

"I'm a model, not a prostitute."
    Amber says annoyed, "And even if I was paying for your help I wouldn't agree to be a dumpster for any of your desperate men's fantasies."

The warden crosses her arms, "I'm here to help keep mortals safe, not help them get their dic ks off. Besides that isn't a good cause and I don't get what you mean by 'undercover'

Spoiler
    Show

Cutting post short and not making a social attack since I'm guessing it is her turn still based on your wording.
    Last edited by Major; 2012-09-10 at 01:58 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

(Aria has stress circles 1, 2, and 4 filled in currently, FYI)

"There's a problem I haven't been able to investigate successfully. We do pride ourselves in offering a physically safe environment for the girls that work at our establishments, but there has been...problems lately with the girls themselves, and I think you can investigate it well if you were to go in undercover as a stripper. Something supernatural that may be affecting the girls and for some reason I am completely unable to detect what it is. Take it or leave it. I'm offering this on friendly terms because I think you'll be willing to help out other mortals in distress, and I won't even make you provide actual sex. Continue wasting time, and I may not be so considerate."

Spoiler
    Show
    Go ahead and respond, and then I'll roll the attack.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Upon hearing the woman talk Amber hesitates. With the mix of her doubt, how flustered she was feeling, and how reasonable the woman sounded it seemed best to concede.

She would be able to find some super natural monster hurting women and she wouldn't have to provide sex, just dance. At the same time she didn't want to look like a whore.

Reluctantly she frowns and ask, "So what would I be doing...IF I agreed?" She ask crossing her arms, "We've established I'd be hunting a supernatural creature and not having sex, but what would this undercover involve me actually doing?"

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

"Some of the girls are being...changed...somehow, and our normal techniques for making people want to share information with us seems to be blocked in terms of those girls. Every vampire we've sent in as a stripper has had no luck. Maybe you will have more luck. You'd act normal like other strippers and either through magic or plain talking to the girls try to find out what's going on. If you think you're up to it, lure the perpetrator out by pretending to exhibit some of the traits of the other victims, whatever those common traits are. As for the normal duties, you'll be expected to act and walk extremely suggestively, and being groped now and then is par for the course, but for you I will give you the right to say no to actual sex."

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

The young warden clenched her fist as the woman spoke. She didn't want to just be some stripper for the White Court and be grabbed around and viewed horribly for their sake. But at the same time it would help others now and in the future. If it weren't for the Commander being here she might have been even less hesitant. But his presence made it awkward.

She took a deep breath as her mind considered the pros and cons. With her Commander here she wouldn't look good, but at the same time she was helping people. Maybe she could justify it as diplomacy and not picking a fight?

Finally she unclenched her fist and crossed her arms as she made her choice.

Spoiler
    Show

"Fine. I'll do it."

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanically, if we had rolled, this could have been described as a sligth shift in tactics for Aria, with her using Rapport as her final attack and tagging both your minor consequence "Frustrated" *and* the "She Sounds Reasonable" aspect to roll her Rapport at a +7 in an attempt to "take you out" all in one blow, although taking you out in this case really just means convincing you with a reasonable argument, which isn't all that bad.

Alternatively, Amber conceded in return for a fairly amenable price of aid. This is much better than oweing a few 'unspecified favors' to a vampire. Up to you how you want to flavor this

Aria smiles and nods. "I knew you'd see things my way. Come by my place sometime after you resolve your current emergency, and we'll see about getting you...correctly accrssorized to fit in with the rest of my girls. Now, I can make a few calls and make sure that these bodies are transported awayf rom here without drawing the attention of the police. Where do you want them? The safest place is on one of our properties."

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"No hard feelings but I'd prefer a place I trust more. I need somewhere that myself and other Wardens can examine the body." Amber said, "Somewhere that I can use magic and run test."

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim had silently watched the discussion, grinning wider and wider as they continued. When Amber actually agreed to being a stripper, he almost laughed aloud, but managed to turn it into a distorted cough.

Clearing his throat, he murmured, "I didn't realize this was a career fair..."
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Without facing him, Amber gives grim a friendly hand sign involving just her middle finger.