Thread: New Cannes (IC)

1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: New Cannes (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each person has 1 Mild, Moderate, Severe, and Extreme consequence. Since Amber has 5 Conviction, she has one EXTRA Mild consequence slot that can *only* be used for Mental consequences.

Now remember, casting a spell up to your Conviction (+ specialization + focus slots) for only one stress, but you *can* go over that to cast a more powerful spell. If you over-channel by 1, you can take one mild mental consequence in order to avoid the 2 stress.
    Spoiler
    Show
    True, but then comes the downside of controlling the spell unless I misremember the rules (at work). If I safely use my rote spells I do less damage but am in control.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

The life of a Liger is difficult. His punch failed(probably because he wasn't supposed to punch in the first place. He had to remember that later, stick to the animal attacks...mostly aniway). Quickly getting down from the vampire, he jukes left, and then quickly jumps to the right!

He remains circling the vampire for the time being, looking for an opening

Spoiler
    Show
    He gets that +1 to hit since I'm "I can fit your head into my mouth" big
    Aniway, my Athletics is Great!(+4)
    (4d3-4)[5]

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

The vampire is frustrated by his miss. It is Amber's turn! She is still feeling the effects *very* visibly through her outfit, but she can act at least.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Amber sighs as her nipples remain hard as a rock. She knew that once the danger was over she'd never hear the end of it and she'd have to deal with Grim's remarks. Still, for now they needed to focus on the vampire. She knew she was almost out of energy and would most likely be out of commission for a while by burning her body up, but her companions weren't doing so hot. It was better to drop herself now then for them all to die and the city to be overrun by this vampire's monsters.

"Guess this is what being a Warden is all about...ugh, I'm buying a knife or something after this..." She mumbled as she pointed her finger at the Vampire.

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, about to do something crazy, stop my post if the following is incorrect...
    From what I'm reading on page 251 the roll to control the spell is the same as the accuracy roll. However, you can take backlash to control it. Does the backlash to control it ALSO keep the accuracy up? Because the example it gives only shows a successful roll with no backlash. However, the example on backlash IMPLIES (but doesn't say flat out) that the point of backlash is to keep a spell going and is a "safety net" to ensure the hit.

IF taking backlash will ensure I keep the hit equal to the discipline I boost it too...I'm going to go something crazy. IF it doesn't, then ignore this and I'll fire a weaker spell.

Edit: Screw it, just take A.

See Spoiler: If backlash ensures accuracy (don't want to nuke my body just to risk missing) click A. If not, click B. (Let me know what you click so I know which consequence to add.
    Edit: Screw it, balls to the walls. Let's hit A. I'm feeling nuke the boss lucky/stupid.

A
    Amber debated blasting the vampire to nothing. Right now her friends were having a hard enough time with the ghouls and this vampire was trying to control her. It was better to sacrifice herself to stop them both. However, she stopped for a second and hesitated. What if she missed? She took a deep breath. It didn't matter. She would just have to ensure she didn't miss. She bite her lip as her hand started to shake from nervous tension. She'd never tried to throw out this much power and she didn't want to die. Her mind rushed with every excuse not to risk it, but finally with her voice nearly cracking she said the words to cast the spell.

"Allez en enfer" Amber said as she braced herself for the excruciating pain she knew this would do to her body. This was everything she had. Not only would this damage her mind, but most likely it'd damage her body. Still, her companions were focusing on the ghoul and if she wanted to help them then her only bet was to take out the vampire as fast as possible. If she could destroy him now he wouldn't be able to run.

As the magic tore through her body she felt her body scream in pain and a cry of pain escaped her lips even as she tried to hold it back out of pride. The magical power fired from her right arm with so much force she felt every nerve in her arm cry out in pain as it burned away the nerves and she felt her mind screaming as her head was filled with pain and her body felt itself growing tired...so tired. She could hear her body begging to sleep, even as all feeling in her arm went away.

Spoiler
    Show

12 Shifts of Power (Weapon: 12, Spirit vs Athletics) (at vampire)
    5 discipline, 5 conviction
    +1 spirit control and power for focus item, +1 spirit control and power from specialization.
    That places it 5 shifts over my control.

Discipline
    (4d6)[5][3][2][1](11)+7 +X backlash
    Total: 12 (6+6 physical stress backlash)

6 mental stress. Plus I'll be taking backlash for physical stress (will tell how much once I see the roll)

Mild Mental: Headache
    Moderate Mental: Extremely Exhausted

Physical consequences:
    Ouch, I sadly got my mild and mental full so...Severe consequence physical, but I still got a full physical track at least...
    Severe Physical Consequence: Useless right arm (the one with my focus item on it and source of my offensive magic)

Original B
    Spoiler
    Show

Amber debated blasting the vampire to nothing. Right now her friends were having a hard enough time with the ghouls and this vampire was trying to control her. It was better to sacrifice herself to stop them both. However, she stopped for a second and hesitated. What if she missed? For now it was better to play it safe.

"Souffle de l'esprit"
    Accuracy
    (4d6)[6][3][1][1](11) +7 (5 discipline, +1 for specialization, +1 for focus item)
    Total: 6

Consequence:
    Mild Mental: Headache

Accidentally posted...not sure how
    Spoiler
    Show

To give this spoiler section SOME use...
    Consequences
    Mild: Flustered (Social), Headache (Mental)
    Moderate: Extremely Exhausted (Mental) (only if A)
    Severe: Useless Right Arm (Physical) (only if A)

Not sure what this roll is...I typed it in then started posting and found it when I posted. Shame it wasn't my roll though since it was +1 vs all my -1s =-=
    (4d6)[5][1][4][5](15)
    Last edited by Major; 2013-03-20 at 02:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You may wish to rethink that. Taking backlash in no way ups your accuracy. You've controlled your 12 shift magic attack, but it is still "only" aimed with...a 6 total discipline roll, I believe? Granted, the Vampre doesn't exactly have 5 in Athletes or something, so you still have a good chance to hit.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You may wish to rethink that. Taking backlash in no way ups your accuracy. You've controlled your 12 shift magic attack, but it is still "only" aimed with...a 6 total discipline roll, I believe? Granted, the Vampre dosn't exactly have 5 in Athletes or something, so you still have a good chance to hit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    damn was afraid it wouldn't, so is pure power the only reason to attack with spells since accuracy is the same but you always take the mental damage?

Reason I thought it might have is the fallout example in the book where the weapon dropped to weapon: 2 and it said enemy dodged so thought it somehow impacted it. And eh...its risky and I'll feel like a noob if I miss, but I think its good in character (albeit stupid oocly since if I miss I'm probably going down this round). Plus I like the cool write up as opposed to the repeat rote spell. Only wish I could have more than one moderate like I got mild so I'd have something other than an extreme consequence left, but that's life.

Heh as someone who sometime dms other systems if i was smart I'd change it. The dreaded "are you sure?" Dm question.

Balls to the wall, he has to roll poorly sometme...

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    more Weapon rating is really the only reason yeah. Ok, time for the fateful roll. If you got any FP left, now if the time to use it.

Jamelle's Athletics (w/ Inhuman speed) defense vs spell: (4d3-4)[4]

Amber deals 14 physical stress to the vampire, who will decide how to spend its consequences...
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-20 at 01:06 PM.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

The magic is SO powerful in this instance that it literally BISECTS Jamelle at the waist! He SCREAMS in agony as she crawls around on the floor, both halves wriggling! It looks like the magic even cauterized the wound.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Shaking his hand, Grim snorts from his vantage point next to Amber. Glancing at her obvious arousal, he simply shakes his head towards the vampire. "One little light saber and he just goes to pieces, eh?"

Aiming, he took a shot at one of the ghouls.

Spoiler
    Show
    guns +4: (4d3-4)[2]. He'll offer an arm, if Amber is too tired to stand...

EDIT: Oh, good! I wouldn't want to start rolling average now ...
    Last edited by Starbin; 2013-03-21 at 08:16 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

(Please don't forget to post your current Consequences and their severity, and your current stress levels at the beginning of your posts)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ghoul defends using Athletics of Great: [roll]4d3-4[roll]

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try that again. Ghoul's defense roll: (4d3-4)[2]

Surprisingly to everyone (including Grim) a bullet actually CONNECTS! It tears a chunk of flesh from the ghoul, who HISSES at Grim, and then charges at Grim!

Spoiler
    Show
    The Ghoul takes 2 physical stress, and then charges at Grim, trying to swipe with its claws.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-21 at 11:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ghoul's attack using Fists vs Grim's Fists or Athletics as defense. (4d3-5)[3]

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Grim dodges the attack. Please roll in the IC thread! Up next is Brando! there is one ghoul who is attacking, and another one that has apparently lost coherent thought or is just confused at the vampire being bisected.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

Yikes! Brando always though Amber magic was mostly mental but it seems that when she's a bit...excited it disintegrates...

So, to quickly show some work, he approaches the ghoul from behind and with some quick attacks tries to get out of action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Superb Fists(+5), heeere we go. Come on, I was demolishing these guys not long ago

(4d3-3)[6]

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Please always post what Weapon Rating your weapons are. I will try to remember to do the same. These ghouls have Weapon: 3 fists.

Ghoul's Athletics defense @ Great: (4d3-4)[6]

The ghoul gets WHACKED (or bit?) from behind! It was a glancing blow, but the doctor is strong in this form! (however much weapon ratings it was). The ghoul is sent for a loop, and it is now Amber's time to act!
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-26 at 11:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Breathing heavily, Amber looks at the dissected vampire and shoots him the bird. "Piss off mother f$@ker..." She says with a smirk. "You were warned to surrender..." She says turning to see how her companions were doing. There wasn't much she could do until she invested in a knife or something and with how she was feeling she doubted even a knife would do much. "Let's wrap this...up and get out of here." She panted. "I'm all out of magic so hope you guys can take...the ghouls..." She said trying to force her right arm to move, but having no luck. Deciding her only advantage right now was as a distraction she moved toward the ghouls and tried to get their attention while using the charge in her glove to put up a shield. Hopefully they'd get distracted and throw themselves against the barrier while her companions finished them off.

Spoiler
    Show

Eh, might as well be a distraction :P Try to attract attention and use the left hand's glove to shield.
    One round Block: 6

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

The ghoul, not quite right in its frame of mind, gets distracted, and swipes clumsily at Amber. Another THOOOOOOM is heard from the other building.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ghoul attacks with Fists (weapon: 3) @ Great vs Amber's Block of 6. (4d3-4)[5]

The magical shield barely holds under the assault, but it holds. Grim next! This is the last enemy.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-28 at 07:55 AM.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Seeing Amber step forward, Grim frowned. "I heard you liked it rough, but take it easy!" Taking aim at the ghoul, he tried to defy the fates and hit one of these beasts TWICE!

Spoiler
    Show
    Minor Consequence: Bruised Hand Whoops, forgot I used my Inhuman Recovery to get rid of that previously!
    So let's go Guns +4 at the remaining ghoul: (4d3-4)[4]

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

The ghoul tries desperately to dodge.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athletics defense @ Great: (4d3-4)[1]

However, it being disoriented, it jumps INTO the way of the bullet instead of away from it. Grim blows a huge chunk of its CHEST away. The doctor's turn!

Spoiler
    Show
    The ghoul takes a moderate consequence of "Internal Organs Exposed" in order to take only 1 stress from the attack. Note that this is only a Moderate for a GHOUL, not for you guys
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-30 at 02:18 AM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

"Time to end this", the thought crosses Brando's mind as he leaps to maul the last ghoul until the thing...broke or something

Spoiler
    Show
    Yay! We win! Superb Fists! (+5)
    (4d3-3)[4]
    Weapon: 3
    Oh I got a Limp (MILD) consequence and my 6th stress box is filled if I recall correctly

Oh, what happens when I lose the stress boxes from my Liger form?

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you transform back and lose stress track, you will go unconscious.

Ghoul's defense roll using FIsts @ Great: (4d3-4)[2]
    The ghoul spemds a Fate Point to compel your "Limp" consequence in order to reduce the damage down to 3 Stress. Of course, the ghoul has a moderate consequence. If Grim wants to pass the free tag, you can get the a +2 to deal 5 stress. In that case, the ghoul will take a Mild Consequence of "Crumpled Head."
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-03-30 at 07:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

The good doctor's attack knocks the STUFFINGs out of the ghoul. It is so disoriented that its attacks are completely ineffective. In fact, when it tries to charge at Amber, it trips over itself and falls down at a bad angle, breaking its own neck. It stops moving. What do you do?

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim shook his hand out a bit, rubbing on the bruise. Glancing around, he nodded to the flailing, screaming, bisected vampire. "Uh, could we do something about that? It's kinda creeping me out.

And what do we do about all these people? You're gonna need a LOT more of Dr. Amber's Cure All Tonic."

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"Yeah well...what we have is what we got...I don't have any more energy in me to make any... " Amber pants, "Kill the vampire and we can see...if the stuff he had was an antidote."

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

Brando moves towards the vampire, turns him around and puts a paw on the thing's throat. That should quiet him

He realizes he can't turn back yet. He needed the beast's constituition to remain conscious...
    Hadn't that witch doctor who thought him how to shapeshift told him something about this kind of situation?

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

The creepy bisected vampire manages to say a sentence before a paw clamps onto his throat. "You kill me, knowledge of cure dies with me..."

Amber has devised some sort of vaccine, but it may not be a very effective antidote. You're just not sure yet since you haven't had any live tests. At the very least the vampire in this state isn't going anywhere. Amber doesn't know if he can continue trying to psychically her with lust.

*THOOOOOM* Another blast is heard from the other warehouse. The one in which Warden Dresden is in. Alone. Probably fighting.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    My aspect, "Ends Justify the Means". Acting on it :P

"So does knowledge of the virus." Amber says, "He's stalling to find a way to escape. He wouldn't undo all his work and anything he told or gave us would most likely be a lie."
    Last edited by Major; 2013-04-05 at 02:45 AM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Brando looks at Amber. She seemed to be making sense...And no one seemed to have a lot of objections. He really would rather a lot more have a certain cure for the ghoul virus, but that definately seemed impossible.

So, he tears Jamal's throat. And then makes an effort to rip the head off, and carries the thing around in his mouth. He wasn't really sure as to wether decapitation was enough to kill him so better safe than sorry

RETCONNED

Spoiler
    Show
    By the rules I think I would have to keep attacking him until he was Taken Out. I don't remember if there are any specific mechanics to a Coup de Grace
    Last edited by DukeGod; 2013-04-05 at 04:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    My aspect, "Ends Justify the Means". Acting on it :P

"So does knowledge of the virus." Amber says, "He's stalling to find a way to escape. He wouldn't undo all his work and anything he told or gave us would most likely be a lie."
    Spoiler
    Show
    DukeGod, hold off on your post for now. If may be irrelevant.

Major, I am offering you a shiny Fate Point to actively compel your aspect and to have you go even FURTHER. If Amber is willing to use her most effective attack magic to disintegrate or decapitate the vampire RIGHT NOW, before the rest of her party or Warden Dresden has a chance to show up and possibly object, she gets a FP at the beginning of the next adventure (which is coming up very soon as this end is pretty much over), and I'll even waive the mental stress cost of this spell.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2013-04-05 at 02:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Uh oh ... danger, danger Will Robinson!