Thread: New Cannes (IC)

1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: New Cannes (IC)

Spoiler
    Show
    ID the monster

"And yet here I am." Amber says pointedly. "If she was someone that is nobody of importance, why would a Warden be here?" She ask, "Now then, I'm planning on freeing the girl. As you said I can't attack you, but you can't attack me either or you violate the accords. So if I walked over and freed her what would you do?"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You *think* it might be a ghoul, but you don't know anything about them.

"You would be stealing from me in my own turf, which would be just another form of assault under the accords. You are already trespassing. You are certainly not my Guests."

You are on White Court property and the child could be considered a kine slave, so technically he is correct. However, there is no threshold here, and your powers are not dimished. Also, there's probably no violation of the accords if non-signatory (like a mortal) attacks...
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-05-07 at 11:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

...Brando doesn't look away from the vampire during the discussion. But Amber was almost obviously losing.
    Also, he didn't plan on leaving the vampire or the other thing in any capability of speaking in the end either way so, why bother?

Now, without surprise, it'd be a bit more difficult but, he simply out of nowhere starts running towards the vampire and trying to think of something. White Court Vampires could match him in strength, were faster and could heal. He could take more hits than them though. But he had very deadly claws and fangs and a longer reach

As long as the thing didn't get a lot of help from the other monster they were either evenly matched or he had the upper hand

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness 3 for Initiative, though I'm probably losing it
    Last edited by DukeGod; 2012-05-07 at 04:24 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim stood watching the events unfold, almost smirking as Amber tried to convince the metro-sexual that hers was bigger than his. It wasn't working, of course, but that happened a lot with the Warden of New Cannes ... she often bit off more than she could chew. Which was probably why she put up with a half-breed Sidhe reject and a lycanthrope with compensation issues.

Now the group was trespassing, and bordering on an Accords issue ... dangerous territory for a White Council member. Of course, the was the question of whether this was neutral ground. Or whether any promises of safe passage had been made. Or what the daughter of an ex-Army vet had to do with this. Or why she looked like she was being offered up to a monster ... which was not the White Court style.

Awww, what the hell .... Grim shook his head and grinned. "You know what I heard? Blah, blah, blah, not my guests. Game on!"

He then pulled out his pistol and fired a shot into the big beastie.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore check to determine what beastie is: (4d3-6)[5]
    Lore check to figure out how right this guy is, per the Accords: (4d3-6)[2]
    Speed should allow me to go first, but just in case, Alertness check, right?: (4d3-3)[6]
    Finally, looking to be tagged for 'Ready, shoot, aim' for an extra Refresh ...what'd day say?

Oh, sorry for the delay ... travelling put a crimp in my posting.
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-05-08 at 01:20 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Amber clenched her fist realizing she wasn't going to be able to win this. The accords had her in a bad spot and she would have to talk to her boss at some point about how to get around this. She was still new to this Warden thing and her newness was not a good trait around crafting vampires.

"I see. You are definitely smarter than you look." She says with a sigh. "Looks like you have me at a disadvantage." She watches Grim react. "Still...they have no such restrictions, but out of respect for the accords I'll have to stand back."

As she spoke she took a step out of the warehouse so she could still watch and began to consider a second option.

Spoiler
    Show
    Now then...would it be a violation if I used magic to say...HELP the party? IE buff them, give them aspects, etc. Throw around veils/illusions etc.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    spoiler]Now then...would it be a violation if I used magic to say...HELP the party? IE buff them, give them aspects, etc. Throw around veils/illusions etc.[/spoiler]
    Well, it probably will be interpreted as such, but, if no one were alive to report your actions, then you might be able to get away with it. Up to you.

I will make a post in the morning. Very sorry I've been busy.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Figured. I was thinking the "if none left alive...but at the same time Amber has a LOT to risk...an entire war in addition to the current war? It'd be VERY bad so she'll be quit hesitant to get involved having to balance Warden duties with not being a bitch and abandoning a child.

So she's HOPING she won't have to get involved and the others can handle it.

Edit: I know a wizard who started a war because of a situation like this :P
    Last edited by Major; 2012-05-10 at 05:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Initiative:
    Gray
    Pretty Boy
    Ugly Monster
    Brando
    Amber

Grim:
    Spoiler
    Show
    For your monster ID lore check, you are pretty sure that this is a Ghoul. You know all the information contained within the stat block on OW p59, especially about the part about eating lots of meat...but something seems a bit...off about this ghoul. You can't tell exactly what at first glance.

As for the Accords, what he said is more or less right. Even if the girl can be shown to not the property of the vampire, you'd still be attacking him on White Court property. That said, the White Court are very political creatures. Whether or not there will be a political row for this depends on how much the other WC vamps like this one, and exactly what this one is doing.

So, you said you wanted to shoot? Did I miss your shooting roll somewhere?

As the changeling prepares to attack and the were-liger is ready to pounce, someone appears at the doorway behind you all (the one you all came in through) and shouts, "GET AWAY FROM MY DAUGHTER, WHATEVER YOU ARE!"

Doreen stands in the doorway, with a combat shotgun in one hand, and some sort of handheld electronic device in the other.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Amber's day went from bad to worse. Already she was unsure what to do, now the human mother had shown up somehow and was about to make a scene as well as be a potential witness.

She clenched her first trying to figure out how to handle this since she couldn't attack the White Court without taking a large risk and even if it was safe the last thing she wanted was to have to explain magic to the mother. As if her Warden cape and clothes wouldn't be weird enough.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Being this close to Amber, the device in Doreen's hand gives off a few sparks and then dims.

"What the hell happened to the GPS tracker? Bah, doesn't matter now." She drops the device, and her aim with the shotgun changes between the ghoul and the wereliger.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Annoyed and not wanting to have to leave her group unable to fight in an attempt to hide their abilities she glances over her shoulder at the woman and points her right hand as if a gun. "Dormir" She says sending magic through her finger.

Spoiler
    Show

Spirit Evocation Maneuver. Attempting to add 'Magical Sleep' aspect to Doreen. ((Let me know if that works)) If it has to be a spirit evocation and damage adds aspect of sleep let me know. Nothing changes since its still a spirit evocation. Only difference is that it is a weapon 7 instead of a maneuver.

Shifts of Power:
    Base: +5 (Conviction) +1 (specialization) +1 (focus item)
    Total: 7 shifts of power
    Effect: 3 shifts for the maneuver, 4 shifts for duration...soooo four rounds.

One mental stress taken due to it being a spell.
    roll:
    (4d6)[5][6][5][1](17) +7 (5 Discipline, 1 focus item, 1 specialization)
    Total: 9 (spell is controlled)

Mental Stress: 3/4

After casting the spell she looks back, not caring if it worked or not as she had to try and stop something. "Now then, hold up. Let's talk..." She says starting to finally focus her mind on what to do now that the initial confusion and conflict was wearing off. She had been caught off guard by the Vampire's accusations of accord violations, seeing the child and the ghoul, and then the mother.
    Last edited by Major; 2012-05-10 at 09:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

(I'll give the others a chance to act/give you advice. Also, causing someone to fall asleep is basically them being Taken Out via mental stress strack overflow, so yeah, treat this as a Weapons: 7 attack)
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-05-10 at 11:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Brando halts his attack for a second. He gets a bit more nervous the moment Doreen's shotgun is aimed at him. He doesn't go out of his pounce position

Stepping away a bit to the side, giving Grim a better shot and distancing himself from the ghoul, he gets more confident now that's it's more likely to be one-on-one

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

(Starbin gonna respond?)

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC - well, I rolled the Guns check in the OOC, since I had originally indicated that Grim had fired. I suppose it depends on the timing of stuff here ... it looks like we all have our initiatives (which feels like combat), but everyone is responding to the mom (which feels something like pre-combat), so I'm probably a bit confused on our timing.

Grim paused with his weapon drawn and aimed at the ghoul. Glancing back, he saw the Mom standing there with some (now broken) device and a shotgun. Grinning, he stepped to the side. Looking at the vamp, he nodded back to the armed woman and chuckled. "Guess you forgot about the all-important Soccer Mom Association vote."

Things just got a bit more interesting ...

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

(I should've made it all clear. You had declared your actions, but the Doreen came in right before anyone had the chance to act)

The vampire 's grin lessens a bit. The odds are getting worse and worse. With yet another mortal in the fray, there's a chance he might get injured!

"Lady, you have no idea what you're dealing with. Leave...NOW!"

Meanwhile, Amber intones in French, and a spell weaves its way towards Doreen's mind.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doreen's DEF roll (Discipline): (4d3-5)[0]

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Doreen takes a Serious Consequence: Mega-Ultra Tired, and fills in her third mental stress box.

Doreen could FEEL her mind being assaulted somehow, and using every ounce of will tand hanging on to her love for her daughter, she stays up.

"You...YOU did something to me!" shouts the mama-bear, and she aims her shotgun and SHOOTS...at the vampire!

The blast knocks the vampire back, and he starts bleeding pinkish blood from a few wounds. Thw wounds are not serious enough to drip to the ground, but the vampire is clearly not happy. Growling, he says, "Oh screw this. I've got other specimens. " He also says something in an ancient language to the ghoul and then turns around, looking like he's preparing to go somewhere.

Initiative:
    Gray
    Pretty Boy
    Ugly Monster
    Brando
    Amber
    Doreen
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-05-13 at 02:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim watched in satisfaction as events shifted in there favor. Of course, that could all change if Monstro had been given orders, say to eviscerate the lot of them. Gun still trained on the beast, Grim let Amber and Brando decide if they wanted to push t hings with the vamp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Holding action to see if the ghoul has been set loose or called to heel.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

The back of the building has a door, but it high up, about where a second floor would be. A ladder leads to it. The vampire moves to the back of the building...and you could swear that he's channeling the Road Runner! He got to the door so quickly that hehas stepped through (but is still visible) before any of the rest of you can react.

The ghoul stands menacingly between all of you and the girl, but does appear to attack yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The vampire uses Spring action to cross 2 zones. One zone to get to the back of the warehouse. Another zone to actually exit out the back. That second zone has a Border of Fair thanks to the ladder.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Brando looks at the vampire running away. His first instinct is to chase his prey but his human mind stops him. He couldn't get past those ladders so easily. With a growl he instead turns to the ghoul. He didn't do much yet but why give it time?

He looks at Grim, then at kid, and only last to the ghoul and hopes he got it. Then he pouces the thing trying to knock it down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maneuver to apply a "Knocked Prone" aspect to the ghoul
    Fists (Superb):(4d3-3)[5]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Ghoul's defense roll using Great (+4) Fists: (4d3-4)[2]

The ghoul's clumsy reaction to Brando's surprise attack is no match for the liger's speed! Down he goes, sprawled on the ground, with the aspect "Flat on his Ass"
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-05-17 at 01:42 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"Oh no you don't..." Amber says moving to chase after the vampire and trusting her team to take out the ghoul. Moving closer she crafts a spell on the run and fires it off. "Souffle de l'esprit" She says calmly. However the moving made it hard to focus and she felt her body resist and drain more than normal.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving one zone to be in range. Using rote spell Souffle de l'esprit so no roll. However due to the -1 from moving that's an extra mental consequence I take as backlash.

It's a Weapon: 7 attack
    Opposed by: Target's Athletics or magical block

Mental Stress: 1/4 remaining.

Her intent for now is to stop his escape, mainly cause she wants to rub something in his face.
    Last edited by Major; 2012-05-17 at 04:42 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No, even Rotes must be rolled when there is aiming an attack involved. There will be no possibility of backlash period, but if you roll crappy on the Discipline roll, you might *miss* like how Harry Dresden's Feugo might miss. So please roll your Discipline at a -1.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, even Rotes must be rolled when there is aiming an attack involved. There will be no possibility of backlash period, but if you roll crappy on the Discipline roll, you might *miss* like how Harry Dresden's Feugo might miss. So please roll your Discipline at a -1.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I thought the whole point of rote spells was that you didn't have to roll to control them. Didn't realize I rolled to aim it. Still new to spellcasters and keep getting rules mixed up. Everytime I think I got it I do something wrong lol.

Aim: (4d6)[6][2][6][5](19) +6
    Total: 8

(I still add my bonus from focus items, specializations, etc right?)
    Last edited by Major; 2012-05-17 at 02:36 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, you still add any applicable specializations and foci

Vampire's defense (effective Athletics of +6): (4d3-3)[5]

(The roll is made incorrectly. It should be 4d3-2, not -3. That's still only a result of 6, however.) He spends a Fate Point on an Aspect, "Damn slippery bastard" to bring it up to a +8. That still connects, and deals 7 Physical Stress. He takes a Moderate Consequence of "Burnt Flesh" as the area the spell hit looks like it has 3rd degree burns, and fills in his 3rd stress box.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-05-18 at 12:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Grim blinked in surprise as Brando knocked the ghoul down and Amber shot the vampire in the ass. The situation had quickly went from Mexican Stand-off to American gun-fight. Glancing down at the little crying girl, he eyed the manacles warily. The steel nature of her shackles made it a certainty he wouldn't be touching them anytime soon, which left either joining the fight against the ghoul or the vampire.

He raised the gun to point at the ghoul, then paused. Glancing between the crying girl and the girl, there was something here that just didn't make sense. It couldn't quite put his finger on what was wrong, but he had an impression that if this were a typical White Court operation, somebody was getting played. If he just thought this through, he could probably figure it out ...

... or not.

"Ah, screw it ..."

BLAM, BLAM, BLAM

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, started to try and play this 'smarter' then remembered 'Ready, Shoot, Aim!' and decided this would be more appropriate! Shooting the ghoul in the leg, trying to force it to stay down.
    Guns +4: (4d3-4)[4]

Oh, and here's an awareness check on the ghoul, corpse and girl to figure out what's bothering Grim about the situation - Awareness +5: (4d3-3)[3]

Sorry, work has been kicking my a$$, and even over the weekend!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

New Initiative (since Gray held his action):
    Pretty Boy
    Ugly Monster
    Brando
    Amber
    Gray <---- currently here
    Doreen

Ghoul's DEF roll using effective Athletics of Superb: (4d3-3)[6]

Now, if Brando wishes to pass on the free tag of the "Flat on his ass" temporary aspect that he created onto Gray, Gray's total goes up to a 6, which is a hit. Gray is using a Weapons: 1 pistol right? Of course, if Gray wishes to spend FP for any other relevant aspect, he can deal even more damage.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2012-05-21 at 01:50 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Grims Alertness tells him that typically speaking, these manacles are way overkill for a 10 year human girl.

Still waiting for Starbin to officially post how he's gonna use his tags and aspects and how much, etc, so we can MOVE ON.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry ... using the free aspect from Brando to tag the beastie. Now, I'm still not clear on how I use the free refresh point to do more damage ... simply say I'm doing it, or roll against something? I'm thinking "Groin shot" for that extra bite. Here's an unmodified roll, so that I don't continue to slow the game down.

(4d3-8)[1]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Gray's shots ring out and one catches the ghoul RIGHT in the groin. OH that's gonna leave a mark even if this IS a tough supernatural SOB. The ghoul twitches a few times in pain, and may be moving awkwardly for a while.

Doreen shoots at the retreating vampire, but misses. The vampire flees at top speed, and is basically gone now, hopping from rooftop to rooftop.

Still, even in pain, it crawls surprisingly quickly, and attempts to RIP a chunk out of Gray's leg muscles with its teeth. Yum, drumsticks!

Spoiler
    Show
    The ghoul is shot, takes a 1 stress hit plus a minor physical consequence of "Shot in the Groin, OUCH!".

The ghoul is attacking Gray with the ghoul's natural weapons at Great (+4). The weapon rating is 4, so they hurt a LOT. Remember you have a free tag if you wish to boost that Athletics roll by +2 by compelling "Shot in the Groin, OUCH!" . If you have more FP, you can also compel "Flat on his ass" for an additional +2. Remember each time you compel, the ghoul gains a FP. (4d3-4)[4]